6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Turbo Charger for the max

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Turbo Charger for the max

So i tend to shy away from ebay anything, just becuase they have a rep of selling cheap stuff. but a turbo charger is a turbocharger, Doesn't matter if the piping is made from aluminum or platinum. the only thing i thing in a turbo system that needs to be solid is the actually turbo and oil return system.

here is the ebay listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180602512518...witem=&vxp=mtr

I messaged the guy to see if he has sold this kit to other maximas and he said yes, 12 people. He also said they installed it with success and had nothing but positive feedback, literally, i read it myself, there is a spot for buyers to leave feedback.

still i am skeptical, so i thought i'd run it by the max community before committing to buy. Please leave objective comments. This is serious and i won't pay any attention to opinions or ebay bias.

i will be installing this myself and tow it to a shop for adjustments and tuning.

Thanks guys
Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM

$800 for a GT45, with 2.25 piping and that intercooler? Yea buy that and say good bye to your motor once that cheap turbo fails. And what about a feedpipe? injectors? engine management? BOV? Wastegate?

So: No. Do not buy and read more about turbos.

/thread.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Actually, I've heard VQ35s are quite fond of ingesting cheap China turbo shrapnel...
Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM

yeaaa.... no lol
Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

First of all, dont take this in an offensive manner, but your previous posts/threads hinted at the fact that you didn't know too much about performance especially when it comes to maximas. This thread confirms that...

If you think you can just buy this "universal" kit, install it at home, and tow it to a shop for them to tune it, you are sadly mistaken. How are you going to build a feedpipe at home? I assume you have a welder and are pretty handy with it? If not? Well skip down to my last point.

A turbo charger is definitely NOT just a turbo charger. There is a reason why good turbos are expensive.

There are a lot more items in a turbo set up that needs to be solid than just the turbo and oil return. That's arguably the most ridiculous claim I've heard about turbos in a while.

An ebay seller will tell you whatever they want just to get a sale. Feedback can also be false on eBay. That's common knowledge.

Bottom line, this kit is an expensive piping/intercooler kit. Chances are, the seals on the turbo will go bad in no time. Even then, the Couplers are probably cheap ones that blow off at the sign of a decent amount of boost.

I can go on and on. But my advise to you is to research more. A lot more. Sure, this "kit" CAN work. But if you have to ask about it, your better off just taking the car to a shop and letting them do 100% of the work from start to finish.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
i will be installing this myself and tow it to a shop for adjustments and tuning and then towing it back to the shop again so they can replace the motor after it explodes on the way home from running this ****ty turbo kit
Fixed.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Ouch.

5th genners...layin' it down.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Then again, you could buy this kit for us. Be a guinea pig. Let us know how it works.

Hell, at least I won't be the one having to rebuild my motor at the end of the day.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 PM

he is the clashz of the 6th gen forum!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM

The kit actually has to be installed to grenade the motor... He won't get that far guys.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

Clashez has 7474722116482 accounts... 20eggs might be one of his aliases!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:46 PM

:metalmax: Yikes!!! WTF did I just walk into?

Last edited by T_Behr904; 10-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
:metalmax: Yikes!!! WTF did I just walk into?
:metalmax:

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 10-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Edited... my bad Edit yours too since you quoted me

Last edited by T_Behr904; 10-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM

NO COMMENT don't know about Turbos....staying N/A.....
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Edited... my bad Edit yours too since you quoted me
Done.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35

:/
Done.
you need to look at t's post above and fix that as well.

Im going back to my forum now...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
:/

you need to look at t's post above and fix that as well.

Im going back to my forum now...
T gotta fix it himself I can't.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM

T gotta fix it himself I can't.
Edited again... I just noticed that
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Sell your Max and buy Chern's; drop in a new tranny and you are set. Plastidip not included.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 PM

wow, all the outspoken naturally aspirated turbo expert maxima org'ers all in one thread!! what a treat..

its pretty obvious that because the word ebay is involved none of you can think outside assumptions. you don't know the quality of any of these parts, have you actually physically held and inspected one of this turbines or are you talking out your *** because of a few horror stories that rumored their way to your ears. seriously? you just assume because its on ebay and not branded by an originating company its total ****? which one of you who are knocking this have actually had any personal experience? i asked you to be objective. not spout off rumors to which origin you have no clue.

ill stick to asking questions to people i trust, like the performance shops that do this for a living. sorry for wasting your time.... not

i asked nicely to be objective. ignorance is thick in this one, if i can't get any real answers ill just delete this thread.

If any of you have PERSONAL experience with DNA motoring and know these parts are cheap and prone to failure then please speak up, if you don't know anything about this company keep your mouths shut, im not interested in your opinions.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-29-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:18 PM
L36

Its a cheap kit, would not do it.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
First of all, dont take this in an offensive manner, but your previous posts/threads hinted at the fact that you didn't know too much about performance especially when it comes to maximas. This thread confirms that...

If you think you can just buy this "universal" kit, install it at home, and tow it to a shop for them to tune it, you are sadly mistaken. How are you going to build a feedpipe at home? I assume you have a welder and are pretty handy with it? If not? Well skip down to my last point.

A turbo charger is definitely NOT just a turbo charger. There is a reason why good turbos are expensive.

There are a lot more items in a turbo set up that needs to be solid than just the turbo and oil return. That's arguably the most ridiculous claim I've heard about turbos in a while.

An ebay seller will tell you whatever they want just to get a sale. Feedback can also be false on eBay. That's common knowledge.

Bottom line, this kit is an expensive piping/intercooler kit. Chances are, the seals on the turbo will go bad in no time. Even then, the Couplers are probably cheap ones that blow off at the sign of a decent amount of boost.

I can go on and on. But my advise to you is to research more. A lot more. Sure, this "kit" CAN work. But if you have to ask about it, your better off just taking the car to a shop and letting them do 100% of the work from start to finish.
the reason why "good turbos" are so expensive are because the companies that design them put in 1000's of hours into its productions.

then come along the companies that copy them or reverse engineer these products and don't need to sell them at the cost it takes to cover all the expenses necessary for design. just because they are sold cheaper doesn't mean they use cheap quality material.

I do know for a fact that ebay has banned fraudulent performance part companies from selling their crap on their web site. this was back when online parts companies got big, probably where some of you have heard these stories. DNA motoring has been around for a long time and of the 26+ thousand feed back replies NON of them have consisted of parts going bad. DNA motoring is not some Chinese online company. they are based in Southern California and have been in business selling forced induction kits and other performance parts for over 30 years.

way too many haters on this web site... SMH

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

So you want to take off the sails and put a propellar on....
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM

Doing a turbo on a 6thgen is just not worth it.At the end of the day it's a family sedan and investing all that money to eventually blow up something just isn't worth it.Buy a small car and turbo it.Beside the engine and tranny on these cars are mad expensive.Ask chern
Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
that was only a little funny....
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Doing a turbo on a 6thgen is just not worth it.At the end of the day it's a family sedan and investing all that money to eventually blow up something just isn't worth it.Buy a small car and turbo it.Beside the engine and tranny on these cars are mad expensive.Ask chern
i can see your point of view, but if this can be done for about the same price as a good suspension kit, it would be worth it.

I have been planning to get my tranny redone by level 10 irregardless of if i get F/I.

i have the 5AT its going to go kaput one day if i don't do anything about it.

also if i do get the turbo and blow up my car... it will be upsetting, but not the end of the world, ill just buy a new car, a g35x, what i should have bought in the first place.. just saying...

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-29-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Got Retrofit?

Go for it.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
LOL as much crap as we give clashez that was pretty funny
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM

I thought about doing it myself but when I think about spending 10-15k to got 12's and 13's is just not worth it.There's civic's out there doing 10's or less,except you can buy a civic for $700 and make it a project.I want my car to go faster but i'm not gonna invest that much on it.I'll stick with the bolt on mods and use that money for something more productive
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 PM

wow, all the outspoken naturally aspirated turbo expert maxima org'ers all in one thread!! what a treat..

its pretty obvious that because the word ebay is involved none of you can think outside assumptions. you don't know the quality of any of these parts, have you actually physically held and inspected one of this turbines or are you talking out your *** because of a few horror stories that rumored their way to your ears. seriously? you just assume because its on ebay and not branded by an originating company its total ****? which one of you who are knocking this have actually had any personal experience? i asked you to be objective. not spout off rumors to which origin you have no clue.

ill stick to asking questions to people i trust, like the performance shops that do this for a living. sorry for wasting your time.... not

i asked nicely to be objective. ignorance is thick in this one, if i can't get any real answers ill just delete this thread.

If any of you have PERSONAL experience with DNA motoring and know these parts are cheap and prone to failure then please speak up, if you don't know anything about this company keep your mouths shut, im not interested in your opinions.
You may have got some wild response but what did you expect. Unless a turbo is reputable you don't want to put it on your car it has nothing to do with ebay, simple as that.

If you have found this to be a reputable company that produces quality turbos go ahead and purchase but that brings up what your motive was when creating this thread?

the reason why "good turbos" are so expensive are because the companies that design them put in 1000's of hours into its productions.

then come along the companies that copy them or reverse engineer these products and don't need to sell them at the cost it takes to cover all the expenses necessary for design. just because they are sold cheaper doesn't mean they use cheap quality material.

I do know for a fact that ebay has banned fraudulent performance part companies from selling their crap on their web site. this was back when online parts companies got big, probably where some of you have heard these stories. DNA motoring has been around for a long time and of the 26+ thousand feed back replies NON of them have consisted of parts going bad. DNA motoring is not some Chinese online company. they are based in Southern California and have been in business selling forced induction kits and other performance parts for over 30 years.

Seems like you had your mind made up already I question what the motive was behind this thread?

So members are haters because they are telling you not to put a turbo that may destroy your engine on your car? You asked for the opinion of members on this site regarding this turbo and they gave you their opinion and now they are haters

I really don't understand your process of thinking here. BTW if you really have to ask these questions and make these type of threads DONT TURBO YOUR CAR until you read and educate yourself more on the subject. This is not a simple task to do or fully understand, if you knew this it would be obvious that the kit is not even sufficient to turbo your vehicle or is it even worth it. Basically all your getting is pipe that may or may not be useable on your ride. Educate yourself man instead of being a douchebag and lashing out, it should tell you something is not right when people give you responses like this.

This guy is an idiot.

I thought about doing it myself but when I think about spending 10-15k to got 12's and 13's is just not worth it.There's civic's out there doing 10's or less,except you can buy a civic for $700 and make it a project.I want my car to go faster but i'm not gonna invest that much on it.I'll stick with the bolt on mods and use that money for something more productive
Like I said this guys an idiot. Are you serious? The car may be a "family sedan" to you but its a sports car with an awesome engine thats proved to be superior to others in its class time and time again. A max is not as much of a family sedan as you think its not an accord/camry/avalon etc. Its a sports car plain and simple. it may not be the ideal sports car that comes to mind and may not be the best platform but turboing it over turboing a camry/avalon/accord/impala etc or any car in its class is much more logical than you think.

Many people have turned their 6th gens into project cars. A project car doesn't mean its small, costs little to nothing, and has to be a honda
Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Further prooves my very first point....

This kit that "DNA" sells is not made by DNA by the way. It in fact is made by some 3rd party company. It's the same crap you see all over ebay. And you asked for advice from someone with experience with this. Well here I am.

Actually, forget it. You seen like you don't want help from more knowledgeable people. I tried guys. Back to azz hole mode.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Got Retrofit?

Let him "install it" as if a turbo's a bolt on and "tow it to a shop for adjustments and tuning". Failures are always funny to me.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

^ Essentials probably the most knowledgeable cat that replied in your thread.

Ill leave you with two things.
Ask for the compressor map for the car/application that you are looking to install this kit on. It will go a long way in matching the proper turbo to your motor, to ensure you dont hit boost at 4500rpm through 6k.

After that do a google search, and realize that these guys dont exist outside of the world of ebay. its one thiing if they use a garrett turbo or a proven turbo and sell the piping to you. id just be wary. Other than that good luck.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Get it bro. It looks awesome!!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM

You may have got some wild response but what did you expect. Unless a turbo is reputable you don't want to put it on your car it has nothing to do with ebay, simple as that.

If you have found this to be a reputable company that produces quality turbos go ahead and purchase but that brings up what your motive was when creating this thread?

Seems like you had your mind made up already I question what the motive was behind this thread?

So members are haters because they are telling you not to put a turbo that may destroy your engine on your car? You asked for the opinion of members on this site regarding this turbo and they gave you their opinion and now they are haters

I really don't understand your process of thinking here. BTW if you really have to ask these questions and make these type of threads DONT TURBO YOUR CAR until you read and educate yourself more on the subject. This is not a simple task to do or fully understand, if you knew this it would be obvious that the kit is not even sufficient to turbo your vehicle or is it even worth it. Basically all your getting is pipe that may or may not be useable on your ride. Educate yourself man instead of being a douchebag and lashing out, it should tell you something is not right when people give you responses like this.

This guy is an idiot.

Like I said this guys an idiot. Are you serious? The car may be a "family sedan" to you but its a sports car with an awesome engine thats proved to be superior to others in its class time and time again. A max is not as much of a family sedan as you think its not an accord/camry/avalon etc. Its a sports car plain and simple. it may not be the ideal sports car that comes to mind and may not be the best platform but turboing it over turboing a camry/avalon/accord/impala etc or any car in its class is much more logical than you think.

Many people have turned their 6th gens into project cars. A project car doesn't mean its small, costs little to nothing, and has to be a honda
no i appreciate your feedback man.. my mind is not made up, i just wanted to see if anyone has "Real" warnings to offer if they have heard of this setup before .

my mini-rant was geared toward those who don't now anything about my kit but wanted to knock on it anyways.

i appreciate your time man.

if you were to use a well known turbine what would you swap in its place?

i am still very open to swapping out the turbo for something i know is proven and wont implode... this wouldn't set me back that much more for piece of mind.

and no **** its a family sedan, which make it all the more fun when you rape a v8 sports car and watch the head down in shame look as he passes you at the next light.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 10-30-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Let him "install it" as if a turbo's a bolt on and "tow it to a shop for adjustments and tuning". Failures are always funny to me.
i installed an 8k dollar twin turbo kit that needed heavy metal fab on a 2002 corvette, im pretty sure doing one on the max will be a sinch..
Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Got Retrofit?

i installed an 8k dollar twin turbo kit that needed heavy metal fab on a 2002 corvette, im pretty sure doing one on the max will be a sinch..
Good luck.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Further prooves my very first point....

This kit that "DNA" sells is not made by DNA by the way. It in fact is made by some 3rd party company. It's the same crap you see all over ebay. And you asked for advice from someone with experience with this. Well here I am.

Actually, forget it. You seen like you don't want help from more knowledgeable people. I tried guys. Back to azz hole mode.
Ok here it is.. If what essential says is true, i will confirm this with the turbonetics performance company. Ill bring him the turbo and ask the same question. if he agrees, ill swap out the turbo and put something else better in there.

what else? what else in this kit are you guys thinking will blow a crater in the road? is that all?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the response.Maybe you just don't get the point of me saying why he shouldn't turbo,at the end of the day the dude will do what he thinks is best.He asked for opinion and I gave it.I have a 6spd and I love it to death but you have to ask yourself a question,is it a project car or everyday car???Don't be ignorant,a turbo for that car will easily run you 8-12k and an additional 5k to have the transmission rebuild to support the the power that the turbo will put out.I'm not being negative,i'm just giving an ipinion.Quick question,is your car turbo'd up?END OF STORY!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo Charger for the max