6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Tire slowly losing air

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Create From Nothing

Tire slowly losing air

OK, this has been going on for about 3 months. 1 of my tires is slowly losing air. I have to fill it up about once a week. I've taken it to a tire place. and they can't find any leaks or punctures externally. Do you think I should have someone take the tire off the rim, and check it like that?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 AM

had the same problem with my driver side rear wheel - took it to my tech guy, valve stem was bad, $10 - good as new now..

not sure if the tire place checked the valve stem - if yes then it could be the rim bud
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Digital Alchemy
OK, this has been going on for about 3 months. 1 of my tires is slowly losing air. I have to fill it up about once a week. I've taken it to a tire place. and they can't find any leaks or punctures externally. Do you think I should have someone take the tire off the rim, and check it like that?
I used to have chrome rims, the chrome around the bead of the tire started to corrode and allowed air to slowly escape. Grinded them down a few times but the leak always came back. Finally replaced.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM

what i just use at work is a spray bottle filled with water and dish soap, spray the tread, sidewall, where the sidewall meets the rim, valve stem, inside the valve stem under the cap, and inside of the rim. wherever little bubbles come out, you have a leak. if i cant ever find i leak, i just put a new valve stem in and take the tire off of the rim and grind the inside of the rim clean. if you have a leak from the rim, its usually small pockets of air slowly coming out.

also, spray the inside of the actual rim. its extremely rare, but one time a guy kept having a leak and we couldnt figure out why for the longest time. inside of the rim itself had a pinhole and caused air to slowly leak out
Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM

I have the same problem with my tires. I have had the tire shop put sealant around the tire and that did nothing, I recently bought a new tire and that fixed the problem. It could be a defective tire, mine was but the tire shop would not replace the tire for free even though it was under warranty.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Air leaks can be caused by a bad valve, beads not sealed properly, a ding or deep scratch on the bead seat, and small punctures.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM

A bad valve, beads not sealed properly, a deep scratch on the bead seat, or a camouflaged puncture.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 PM

On my last set of tires I had one tire that would on occasion slowly lose air. It was fixed when I replaced all of the tires last summer.

My theory for what I was experiencing is that it would only leak air slowly when the wheel was in a certain position to the ground - so that air would slowly leak between the tire and the rim. Unless the wheel was in that one position, it would not leak. That may be your problem because the weight of the car has to be on the tire and the wheel has to be in the proper position to allow leaking to occur between the tire and the rim at one spot.

Good luck finding your problem.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Create From Nothing

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
On my last set of tires I had one tire that would on occasion slowly lose air. It was fixed when I replaced all of the tires last summer.

My theory for what I was experiencing is that it would only leak air slowly when the wheel was in a certain position to the ground - so that air would slowly leak between the tire and the rim. Unless the wheel was in that one position, it would not leak. That may be your problem because the weight of the car has to be on the tire and the wheel has to be in the proper position to allow leaking to occur between the tire and the rim at one spot.

Good luck finding your problem.
Thats sound like exactly what I'm going through. Sometimes the air will be low, and barely noticable, other days its damn near flat. Park at work 8 hours later, and the tire looks damn near flat.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 PM

My leak was slower than you are experiencing. I had to look carefully after the car was parked for a few days to see that the pressure had gone from 32 psi (where I keep my tires cold) and about 28 psi. That difference is hard to see unless you look carefully.

Sounds like yours goes to something like 15 psi over 8 hours - a much faster leak.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had this problem on a friend's 2000 model BMW. Tire shop guy couldn't find leak, but showed me significant corrosion at various places around inside of alloy rim. Refused to try to grind off corrosion with wire brush on grinder. Took wheel home, sanded inside bead area top and bottom of rim with 220 grade wet sandpaper, and finished with two coats of clear coat (spray can). Allowed 24 hrs to dry fully (indoors) and remounted tire. Problem solved.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 AM

I've had a slow leak problem with one of my front tires for quite a while now. It loses around 4-5 pounds a week. I've removed the wheel, sprayed it all over with soapy water and looked and found nothing. I just deal with it and top off the tire every week until i get the fronts replaced here soon.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Find a new tire place unless they can explain how a tire with no leaks is loosing air. Does that make sense to you, yeah thought so, it doesn't make any sense to me either. If the tire is good then you either lose it at the valve or not a good seal at the wheel.