6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How to install Led Strips

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM

How to install Led Strips

Hi guys, how do I go about wiring the led strips for the bumper?
thanks!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 PM

You mean the ones in isle 4 of Autozone?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
You mean the ones in isle 4 of Autozone?

oh be nice...

to the OP. LED strips on the bumper are a major pain in the butt. both the back of the strip and that black little grille area in the lower portion of the bumper are practically glue proof. if you are lucky the sticky material on the back of the LED strips will work enough to keep them stuck, for a while at least. i wasn't so lucky. i tried, silicon, hot glue, both failed, so i went to super glue, which also didn't work, then went to gorilla glue, but it would not stick unless i sat there for an hour holding it on. it took a combination of gorilla glue, and a temporary bead of hot glue to keep it in place as will as electrical tape to hold the strip down long enough for the gorilla glue to set. then you gotta take a razor and pry off the hot glue without breaking the bond between the strip and bumper, and then cut the edges because the gorilla glue expands as it dries. THEN you gotta use black touch up paint to paint the edges so that you cant see the strips during the day unless you get down and look.

don't even get me started with the door strips. 2 of my 4 strips had a good sticky backing and they have stuck with no problem, but the other two didn't, i went though the same trouble getting them to stick on the doors as i did the bumper.

as for wiring? i took the easy route and got a tiny gauge wire wrapped it around the prong of my head light fuse. LED strips use a very low electrical load and your fuse is more than able to handle it. make sure you use a small enough wire so that the fuze sits flat and secure. if you can't do this you need to splice. splice into the head light wire. Do not connect the strips in a series. they need their own positive and ground wires. the wires on the strips are so tiny they put up too much resistant for your light to shine bright in a series. they will dim quite significantly. also they are polar dependent. make sure you keep an eye on the wires because if you don't wire it correctly you will melt your wires the second you test it out. fortunately the LED strip wire is such a high gauge if you cross the polarity the tiny wire will act as a fuse and protect your other wires, but you will need a new strip. just take it slow and mark the ground wire with a piece of tape.

for the doors, just pop out the stock light and splice into the wire. very easy, they pop right out.

i am sorry if i made this sound complicated and convoluted... its really not, its a very simple and easy mod. anyone can do it, just take your time and dont be in a hurry.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks Twentyeggs, you are one of the most knowledgeable 6thgenners!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidEliteMax
Thanks Twentyeggs, you are one of the most knowledgeable 6thgenners!!!
Thanks man, im always available and love to help, PM me if you have further questions. i've had my LED strips on my max for almost a year and i've had no problems with them what so ever. I would have expected a diode to burn out by now, but they are hearty little guys.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 02-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Please don't do that, it looks fugly. It's your car thou not mine.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM

If you are gonna do LED strips at least retrofit them into the headlights. It'll look a lot better then just slapping them on the bumper with some double sided tape IMO.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
If you are gonna do LED strips at least retrofit them into the headlights. It'll look a lot better then just slapping them on the bumper with some double sided tape IMO.
it doesn't actually.. i originally tried this before moving them down to the bumper like mercs and audi's. if you have HIDs they drown out the strips, and if you don't have HIDs it looks horrible.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM
KC's FINEST

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
it doesn't actually.. i originally tried this before moving them down to the bumper like mercs and audi's. if you have HIDs they drown out the strips, and if you don't have HIDs it looks horrible.
Yeah, paint them with plastidip too.