6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

06 Maxima Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:31 PM

06 Maxima Ignition Problem

Hey guys, I have a 2006 Maxima with what seems to be some sort of ignition problem. I can't figure out if it's the starter, or a problem with the ignition switch. It first happened a couple of weeks ago when I tried to start the car in the morning. I turned the key and got a single click and then nothing. Tried turning the key again, and this time nothing happened at all. No click, No dash lights, the lights, radio, horn, trunk release, nothing would work. Then, after a minute or so the engine turned on as if nothing was wrong. After the car started, my trip meter, radio, clock, seat memories were all reset as well. The car would start fine for a whole week from then.

Two days ago, I got the same issue. But it's been happening more frequently. When I first unlock the car with my remote, the driver's seat usually pulls back all the way but this time it went part way back and then stopped. Then the remote keyless doesn't work at all, the horn, lights, everything like the first time. I turn the key and there is nothing. I can also hear a constant clicking noise coming from under the steering column without the key in the ignition at all. When i put the key into the ON position, the clicking stops. After about 10 minutes of leaving the car as is, I pressed the lock button on the remote and the car honked. The car started again without a problem and I drove home. I am sort of confused on what could be the issue. Anyone have any similar experiences?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
L36

Originally Posted by Nightscape
Hey guys, I have a 2006 Maxima with what seems to be some sort of ignition problem. I can't figure out if it's the starter, or a problem with the ignition switch. It first happened a couple of weeks ago when I tried to start the car in the morning. I turned the key and got a single click and then nothing. Tried turning the key again, and this time nothing happened at all. No click, No dash lights, the lights, radio, horn, trunk release, nothing would work. Then, after a minute or so the engine turned on as if nothing was wrong. After the car started, my trip meter, radio, clock, seat memories were all reset as well. The car would start fine for a whole week from then.

Two days ago, I got the same issue. But it's been happening more frequently. When I first unlock the car with my remote, the driver's seat usually pulls back all the way but this time it went part way back and then stopped. Then the remote keyless doesn't work at all, the horn, lights, everything like the first time. I turn the key and there is nothing. I can also hear a constant clicking noise coming from under the steering column without the key in the ignition at all. When i put the key into the ON position, the clicking stops. After about 10 minutes of leaving the car as is, I pressed the lock button on the remote and the car honked. The car started again without a problem and I drove home. I am sort of confused on what could be the issue. Anyone have any similar experiences?
Check if your battery is good. It also might be an immobilizer issue. Does the security light stay a solid on when you insert the key and turn it to the ON position?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by L36
Check if your battery is good. It also might be an immobilizer issue. Does the security light stay a solid on when you insert the key and turn it to the ON position?
The battery is good, it was replaced less than 6 months ago. The security light does not stay on 90% of the time even with the key in the on position when it's not working. But when I keep switching the key from off to on back and forth the light will flicker on and off.