6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

AC Compressor cost - this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

AC Compressor cost - this sound right?

Went to turn on the AC and it made a loud hiss/humming noise and then nother but hot air blowing.

Took it into the shop (not the dealership) and first was told it was a leak and it would be about $200 to patch and recharge the system and I would need to come back the next day since that takes some time. Went in and now it needs a new AC compressor - it wasn't a leak. Quote for a "kit w/ warranty" is $840. For the "part w/o warranty" is $720.

This sound about right? I am not a car person and really never sure how much things really cost. Plus, I'm a woman and I think these shops want to take advantage sometimes.

ETA - I'm in Atlanta.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 AM
L36

Originally Posted by kdmall
Went to turn on the AC and it made a loud hiss/humming noise and then nother but hot air blowing.

Took it into the shop (not the dealership) and first was told it was a leak and it would be about $200 to patch and recharge the system and I would need to come back the next day since that takes some time. Went in and now it needs a new AC compressor - it wasn't a leak. Quote for a "kit w/ warranty" is $840. For the "part w/o warranty" is $720.

This sound about right? I am not a car person and really never sure how much things really cost. Plus, I'm a woman and I think these shops want to take advantage sometimes.

ETA - I'm in Atlanta.
On rockauto.com a rebuilt unit with a 2 year warranty is 250 after core. Install and refill the system should run max about $300.
Sounds like they're trying to rip you off. Although this is not OEM part.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Willing to learn

Honestly that doesn't sound bad, IF they in fact do the work they say you need.

That quote should include new or re manufactured AC compressor, new drive belt, new drier, evac & fill sytsem, performance & leak check, with warranty.

I would say that is reasonable.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

From my understanding, this was a brand new part along with the other "components"...whatever a "kit" is. Nothing rebuilt/refurbed.

This was with refill/recharge and running a test for leaks.

I thought it sounded fine, but someone scoffed at me and said I was getting ripped since I was a woman... so I thought I'd ask some experts.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
L36

From my understanding, this was a brand new part along with the other "components"...whatever a "kit" is. Nothing rebuilt/refurbed.

This was with refill/recharge and running a test for leaks.

I thought it sounded fine, but someone scoffed at me and said I was getting ripped since I was a woman... so I thought I'd ask some experts.
"Components"
Ask em which components are replaced.
That price is way too high if its just compressor replacement with a system charge and "test" for leaks.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Shops don't just replace a compressor.

Whenever a "respectable/big" shop does A/C work they always replace the Dryer and Expansion valve, which is rarely necessary, but always required by manufacturers to honor any warranty on any compressor, used, new or rebuilt.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:43 AM

I think that is a bit too high, tell the shop to put in writing what EXACTLY they are replacing and breakdown of cost. I would take it to another shop and see what they say. Ask for the same breakdown in writing (dont tell them you went to another shop) Say I dont know whats wrong then you can get a good idea of price. Post up those parts list the shop gives you

good luck
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, they are replacing the entire AC system... compressor, condensor, receiver dryer, etc... plus now some hose that connects into it that is "broken" off at the connection and needs replaced. Total replacement is $990 w new parts and warranty. Sigh.

Called around this weekend to a few other places and they quoted me anywhere in the range of $650 (used parts) to $1200. All of these places wanted me of course to bring it in to run a diagnostic ($50-75) on it. I don't have time/money for that... so I'm just getting it done. Oh well.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Ok, they are replacing the entire AC system... compressor, condensor, receiver dryer, etc... plus now some hose that connects into it that is "broken" off at the connection and needs replaced. Total replacement is $990 w new parts and warranty. Sigh.

Called around this weekend to a few other places and they quoted me anywhere in the range of $650 (used parts) to $1200. All of these places wanted me of course to bring it in to run a diagnostic ($50-75) on it. I don't have time/money for that... so I'm just getting it done. Oh well.
-Compressor $280
-Condensor+Drier $75
-Low Pressure Hose $125 (extremely common failure on this car, I can't keep these in stock longer than a week).
-Expansion Valve $20
-Refrigerant $45
-There's going to be some environmental cost in here too for R134 recovery.

Around $550 in their cost in parts, 25% markup makes it look around 680 (what you see on your invoice).

Then 300 in labor and I wonder if that includes tax?

Sounds like you're getting out with a deal IMO.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by aackshun
Then 300 in labor and I wonder if that includes tax?

Sounds like you're getting out with a deal IMO.
I hope you're right. I was told that it was walk-out $990 inc tax, labor and environmental disposal.

Is the low pressure hose the part that would have broken off in the compressor? That part was all new to me this morning. Called about an hour after I dropped off and said that "the hose that connects into the compressor had snapped off inside, etc..and this was probably part of the whole issue with the system" Is that a common thing? because geeze... I don't want to have to drop another K because of some stupid hose snapping.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 AM

I hope you're right. I was told that it was walk-out $990 inc tax, labor and environmental disposal.

Is the low pressure hose the part that would have broken off in the compressor? That part was all new to me this morning. Called about an hour after I dropped off and said that "the hose that connects into the compressor had snapped off inside, etc..and this was probably part of the whole issue with the system" Is that a common thing? because geeze... I don't want to have to drop another K because of some stupid hose snapping.
I have no idea what could have broken in your compressor, I only know what sells the fastest from my yard and what gets requested the most.

I rarely sell high pressure hoses, and always, always, always sell low pressure hoses and always get calls for more.... Also I'm almost sold out of compressors too, only 1 left really......... Hrmm.... I guess it is common... but not ultra common like the Low Pressure Hose.

Honestly the car has been on the road for 8 years.... Save 35 cents a day for 8 years and you'll have the $$$ pay for the next A/C job, if it happens again...... What kind of warranty are you getting btw?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 AM

I don't see how that hose would possibly snap off inside the compressor. Never heard of that happening and I think it would be nearly impossible to do. Unless when removing the hose from the compressor they pulled it out at some obscure angle and they snapped it somehow.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by metalgod3082
I don't see how that hose would possibly snap off inside the compressor. Never heard of that happening and I think it would be nearly impossible to do. Unless when removing the hose from the compressor they pulled it out at some obscure angle and they snapped it somehow.
This is assuming the OP is correctly relaying what the shop is saying is wrong with his car.... If you re-arrange a word or two around things could be different....
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

"Snapped off inside the compressor" was the phrase used... who knows?

Items on the receipt as promised.

Compressor HVAC /Compressor $525
Kit Includes
a/c caps
expansion valve
condensor flush solvent
PAG46 compressor oil
a/c condensor
compressor
Labor $85/hr, 1.5 hrs $127.50
Hose/Line HVAC Low Pressure $150
Refrigerant Recovery/Recharge System $134.99
Total w tax $977.99

I think he said 2 years on the warranty? He said its the manufacturers warranty on the part. I forgot to ask about that - I was most concerned with seeing what they thought about the tranny issue.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Damn I'm good

I was off by $5 on the parts #BeastMode
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM

Doesn't sound too bad. My bill was about $600 total for replacing the compressor, high pressure hose plus refilling refrigerant and oil. Luckily, I have an aftermarket warranty covering the compressor and labor. So all I paid was for the hose, about $150.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM

I just replaced the same crappy parts (aluminum) on a "05 Forester and did not replace evaporater, nor flush , nor vacumn down for about $650 (rebuilt compressor, new condenser, expansion valve, oil and 134). However, I did manage to "snap" the low side connecter (more aluminum junk) to the condenser and just plain decided to create a flare joint between the condenser and evaporater with 3/8" copper and 5/16" crappy aluminum. She got a very nice job for the money.