6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Center display doesn't dim when headlights come on automatically. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Center display doesn't dim when headlights come on automatically. Is this normal?

I just recently bought the car so I'm still trying to figure out how some of the stuff works. I have my headlights set on auto and different brightness set for day/night on the center display. The instrument cluster lights dim whenever the headlights come on but the display does not. Is this by design?

Also, there are two different day/night settings for the display brightness. One when in auto and one when the headlights are manually turned on or off. Is this also the way it's supposed to work?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
I just recently bought the car so I'm still trying to figure out how some of the stuff works. I have my headlights set on auto and different brightness set for day/night on the center display. The instrument cluster lights dim whenever the headlights come on but the display does not. Is this by design?
When the parking/headlights are on the lights for the driver's information and climate control should dim with the speedometer when you move the dimmer switch. If you turn it down all the way then it shuts everything off. And it it is turned up all the way then nothing dims when the lights are turned on.

Also, there are two different day/night settings for the display brightness. One when in auto and one when the headlights are manually turned on or off. Is this also the way it's supposed to work?
Do you have an aftermarket radio in the car? Never heard of such an option or setting on a stock maxima. I do have a setting on my kenwood that sounds similar to yours. I never got the dimmer to work on my aftermarket radio. I just set it to auto and it dims when the gps satellite tells it to. Which is usually as it is getting dark at sunset. Works out better for me since i always drive with my lights on.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 AM

Mine does that too, I thought it would adjust itself for day and night but it's simpler then that. You just press the button when you want it for day or night. Not as high tech for a 06.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
When the parking/headlights are on the lights for the driver's information and climate control should dim with the speedometer when you move the dimmer switch. If you turn it down all the way then it shuts everything off. And it it is turned up all the way then nothing dims when the lights are turned on.
yes that part does dim. but i was asking about the display above it that shows the temperature for the climate control, time, and information about what music you're currently playing.

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
Do you have an aftermarket radio in the car? Never heard of such an option or setting on a stock maxima. I do have a setting on my kenwood that sounds similar to yours. I never got the dimmer to work on my aftermarket radio. I just set it to auto and it dims when the gps satellite tells it to. Which is usually as it is getting dark at sunset. Works out better for me since i always drive with my lights on.
nope this is the stock radio. if hit the config button it will ask you what language you want and so on. then you get to personal options and if you go through those you can set things like speed sensitive wipers, whether your seat and/or steering wheel move out of the way when you turn off the ignition, auto light sensitivity, and a bunch of other things along with the day/night brightness of the display.

also, which kenwood do you have? and do you have any pics of it installed?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by SmaX
Mine does that too, I thought it would adjust itself for day and night but it's simpler then that. You just press the button when you want it for day or night. Not as high tech for a 06.
this is what i've come to realize after doing some more reading. pretty stupid if you ask me.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM

^^
Learned something new. Cant say that i will retain it but i will atleast for a few days. I have a 2007 non-bose 6.5gen. I looked at the user manual and it doesn't say much about the "day/night" settings. All it says is to press the "day/night" button to toggle between say and night brightness and use the joystick(left/right) to adjust the brightness.

Kenwood dnx9140 is what i have.

Name:  DSC_0232_resized.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  105.3 KB