6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Stereo install in my 2004 SE

Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stereo install in my 2004 SE

Hey guys I've had my 2004 maxima se for a while now and I've loved every second of it,it's a great car to own. Recently my Bose stereo has been messing up and I've decided it's time to upgrade my complete stereo system. Ive been looking around here and it appears its somewhat of a complicated task. I want to put in a nice kenwood double din now my main question is where in the world am I gonna put it ? I don't wanna lose my maintenance screen and also what do I need to accomplish this task ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM

You wont have to loose your maintenance screen. if it's just your headunit acting up, the deck would fix it. You will need a couple of things, mainly the trim peice which can either be ordered online, or walk into your neighborhood best-buy and purchase it. You will also need the adapter harness. if you want to replace the entire system, you'll also need a four channel amp, speakers, and a wiring kit.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by accessdenied2992
Hey guys I've had my 2004 maxima se for a while now and I've loved every second of it,it's a great car to own. Recently my Bose stereo has been messing up and I've decided it's time to upgrade my complete stereo system. Ive been looking around here and it appears its somewhat of a complicated task. I want to put in a nice kenwood double din now my main question is where in the world am I gonna put it ? I don't wanna lose my maintenance screen and also what do I need to accomplish this task ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It's a pretty painless task as long as you plan it out and take your time. You'll need a few things:

1. Metra Double DIN dash kit: this allows you to put your new kenwood double din where your OEM cd / cassette deck was, your info screen will remain where it is:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...%5BIgnore%5D=1

2. Wiring harness: This allows you to wire up your new HU without cutting into your OEM harness:

3. Antenna adapter: Lets you connect your antenna. Pretty self explanatory:

4. Steering wheel control interface: If you'd like to retain the steering wheel control functionality with your new kenwood, you can use this interface. Used it with my kenwood and it worked pretty flawlessly. Installation was easy, no soldering of resistors needed:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...xess-ASWC.html

That should be enough to get you started. Need a little more info to help you further - since you said you're doing a complete overhaul of your system, I assume you're replacing all of your speakers as well? Depending on your goals and what equipment you're looking to get with the kenwood, you may be able to get by powering them off of your new HU. I recommend, of course, getting separate amps for your speakers but this is a matter of personal preference. Good luck man!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM

I believe the stock speakers are 1 ohm whereas most (if not all) after market decks works best with 4 ohm speakers.

Spend more on getting quality components for the front speakers as that's where your stage will be.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a bunch CRiME that is exactly what I needed, and yes I'm going to go the full 9 yards and replace all speakers,headunit,and I'm adding 2 12"s. I might also add in a small voice amp but my main focus if replacing this pos bose unit. I'll keep you guys updated I'm for sure gonna take my time on this.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Jl audio ftw

Last edited by accessdenied2992; 08-09-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
oem ftw!

And also I forgot to ask where exactly is the new hu suppose to go ? Lol I really want to keep my stock display but how in the world am I gonna do that ? I saw a pic of a another maxima with the stock display beneath the a/c controls where a storage pocket use to be and the new hu where the stock display was Idk I'm a little lost on that
Not a problem man, with the metra dash kit, your new kenwood will go below your heat/AC controls. Your info screen doesn't have to be re-located; it will remain intact and will still display stuff such as temp, fuel economy, etc. The only thing that will not show up on the info screen anymore is the radio information (station, track list, etc) obviously, because all that stuff is now handled by the kenwood. Here is a picture of a finished install, this is not my car, I just found this picture on google to give you an idea how it looks:

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM
oem ftw!

Thanks a bunch CRiME that is exactly what I needed, and yes I'm going to go the full 9 yards and replace all speakers,headunit,and I'm adding 2 12"s. I might also add in a small voice amp but my main focus if replacing this pos bose unit. I'll keep you guys updated I'm for sure gonna take my time on this.
Cool, amping the door speakers is definitely the best option, although I used to have a kenwood and I gotta admit that it did a decent enough job of powering my door speakers without an amp. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CRiME
Cool, amping the door speakers is definitely the best option, although I used to have a kenwood and I gotta admit that it did a decent enough job of powering my door speakers without an amp. Keep us posted on your progress.
Dude your awesome I get it 100% now lol I'm so psychd about starting on it right now hahaha
Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
oem ftw!

Dude your awesome I get it 100% now lol I'm so psychd about starting on it right now hahaha
no problem bro. Have fun on the install. Be sure to post back if you have any more questions. There's nothing like sitting back and running that first song on your new system