6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

incorrect fuel gauge readings issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 AM

incorrect fuel gauge readings issue!!

Just got this car and when I got it I notice my fuel guage was jumping all over the place. Since then I have been using premuim fuel because I had no idea what the last owner was using and I also added a fuel injector cleaner upon fill up as well as some octane boosters. I did notice a difference and the fuel gauge held its position a lot better. I just filled it up and threw half a can of seaform in the gas tank, But just recently i noticed when I filled the car up upon putting seafoam in my tank my GAS TANK CAP didnt click?, could this be the reason my guage is acting funny? mayhe some unwanted air is throwing it off.? let me know what you guys think?

Also Whats the average km's you guys get in a 04-08 maximas on a full tank?

Last edited by maxamia04; 09-09-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by maxamia04
just got this car and when i got it i notice my fuel guage was jumping all over the place. Since then i have been using premuim fuel because i had no idea what the last owner was using and i also added a fuel injector cleaner upon fill up as well as some octane boosters. I did notice a difference and the fuel gauge held its position a lot better. I just filled it up and threw half a can of seaform in the gas tank, but just recently i noticed when i filled the car up upon putting seafoam in my tank my gas tank cap didnt click?, could this be the reason my guage is acting funny? Mayhe some unwanted air is throwing it off.? Let me know what you guys think?

Also whats the average km's you guys get in a 04-08 maximas on a full tank?
is this spam??

you can't be serious with the problems you have and the reasons you think they are... im calling spam..

faulty gas gauge= octane?
seafoam= faulty gas cap?
air in gas tank??

if your not a spammer ill respond, prove your human and ill help you out.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:52 PM

lol no this isn't spam man, sorry maybe my words where not correct.

Im getting incorrect fuell guage readings. I thought it was the fuel pump, So I filled up my car and put a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.

I just recently seafoamed my car because I just bought it and it needed it, when I was doing the seafoam treatment I noticed my gas tank cap didn't click when I went to close it,so every time I fill up it doesn't click, I just noticed it well I was doing the treatment, could this be an issue? to why my gas guage is incorrect, is it possible that unwanted air is getting in?

Is it my sending unit? is my float stuck or getting stuck? I dont know thats why I'm asking.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:14 PM

lol no this isn't spam man, sorry maybe my words where not correct.

Im getting incorrect fuell guage readings. I thought it was the fuel pump, So I filled up my car and put a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.

I just recently seafoamed my car because I just bought it and it needed it, when I was doing the seafoam treatment I noticed my gas tank cap didn't click when I went to close it,so every time I fill up it doesn't click, I just noticed it well I was doing the treatment, could this be an issue? to why my gas guage is incorrect, is it possible that unwanted air is getting in?

Is it my sending unit? is my float stuck or getting stuck? I dont know thats why I'm asking.
alright, heres the thing. The car you have doesn't work the way you think it does.

first off, the gas gauge is a mechanical device. The octane or chemical compound in your gasoline has absolutely no impact on the way you gas gauge works. you could put pepsi in your car and the gauge will still work as it should. If your gauge is not working, you have a problem with you gauge or float, not your gas type.

Your gas tank has air in it. always. there is never a time where your gas tank doesn't take in air. If you tank was sealed the engine couldn't suck up the gas because you need to replace the volume of used gas with volume of air. its like a straw. if fill a straw with soda and plug the end and try to drink from it, its going to collapse and your not going to get all the soda.

Your gas cap is plastic and it screws like a bolt. The little clicks you hear are plastic pieces that go in and out of depressions in the housing. Their job is to prevent the gas cap from jiggling out when you travel. Sea foam goes into your gas tank, not your gas cap. It has no effect on your cap in any way shape or form. If your gas cap stopped clicking you have a bad gas cap, not because of seafoam. you could try fixing your gas cap the right way, or just bang it on the ground and jar the "clickers" loose, but don't blame sea foam.

The problems you have are not ones that can be fixed by looking online. You have faulty parts and they need to be replaced. plain and simple. Cars are expensive necessities of life. I am sorry you have these things to replace but your going to have to live with them or get them fixed. If you bought this car from a dealer, take it straight back to them and demand they fix it. If you got it private party, than the money you saved sidestepping the dealer your going to have to use getting your car back in order. This is why used car prices are so much lower when buying private party. Because the last owner has the ability to hide things from you and trying to get them to replace anything would be like pulling teeth from a shark.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-09-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 PM

yeah I understand seafoam has nothing to do with the not clicking, I just noticed it at that time.

I see people list problems they are having on this fourm and tons of people come out with suggestions on what it could be , Didn't know if anyone has has this issue and had gotten it fixed.

what could my faulty parts be?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 PM

yeah I understand seafoam has nothing to do with the not clicking, I just noticed it at that time.

I see people list problems they are having on this fourm and tons of people come out with suggestions on what it could be , Didn't know if anyone has has this issue and had gotten it fixed.

what could my faulty parts be?
yes, and this site has a ton of resources and people here to help you out. However, your problems are not problems that have easy solutions. unless you are comfortable taking your car apart you will need to get replacements.

I've never had these problems and have no experience in them. But i do know a lot about how things work and experience as i have been tinkering on cars my whole life in additions to being a paid mechanic for 3 years. I am sure others will chime in, but this is my diagnosis.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM

No doubt, thank you very much for you're input and knowledge. Maybe a different mehanic or someone else that had the same issue will tell us the solution or a solution to the same problem I am having.