6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Nissan maxima 5at stuck in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 Nissan maxima 5at stuck in 5th gear

Hey all i desperately need some help. I have a 2004 nissan maxima with only 43000 km which is nothing since it used to be my moms commuter car and she barely used it (She mostly used her rx350 for everything) now she gave it to me and recently I was driving on the highway and the car would not downshift from 5th gear, i even tried with the manual mode and it wouldnt, also the SES light came on and when slowing down on the highway from 100 to about 70 i heard a pretty loud clunk noise. If i shut the engine off and restarted it, the car will go back into 1st but the SES light is still on. I have a code reader and plugged it in and got a p0744 code. What should i do?

thanks all
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM

(RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX) its the first thread int the 6gen catagory all ur answers r their. to give head start u will need a valvebody.this happens when it gets hot u turn the car off 4 a few minutes and its back to normal but the problem is still their these trannys suck 5 speeds
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM
oem ftw!

He may not need the valve body just yet. Many people who have had the stuck in 5th gear (fail-safe mode) problem have fixed it by replacing their camshaft position sensors. Although, in your case, I don't believe that p0744 is the camshaft sensor code.... At any rate, get it checked out, but at least now you have some information to go on.

Camshaft sensors don't cost very much, you may even want to consider replacing them anyway to see where it gets you, as they seem to be quite prone to failure in our cars. It's an easy DIY job.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 AM

More than likely the Camshaft Position Sensor. Like mentioned above, replace them first and see if it fixes your problem. If not than you will need to get a valvebody rebuild. Sorry to give you the bad news, but this car is problematic when it comes to the transmission. This thread might help. http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...744-t-tcc.html
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM

same here my friend. the maxi seemed to be stuck on 5th just after pulling out the garage, tried to downshift via manual but no luck. i disconnected the battery for a day and been driving around with no issues. i will replace the camshaft sensor this weekend to see if it help. keep you updated
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM

I had the same problem and I changed both cam sensors and everything has been fine.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 PM

I had that happen once in mine about 2 years ago.. got it home. Unplugged the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes.. came back, plugged the battery back in, started car and it was fine.. keeping fingers crossed it never happens again.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM

Okay I NEED HELP ASAP! Stuck in 5th after new VB replacement!

I just finished installing the new VB. I double checked my work...Here is what is happening. I was trying to reprogram the computer and everything was going fine minus the expected hard shifts while the computer was learning the new VB. 1.5 miles into my trip I was going about 40. A VERY hard shift happened. Then the SES light came on. The max felt like it was stuck in a higher gear. I came home and went to the "Tiptronic" and it shows that the max is stuck in 5th gear, What do I do? I know the computer isn't gonna program itself while stuck in 5th and not shifting at all. Thank for the help guys and gals
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sarge
I just finished installing the new VB. I double checked my work...Here is what is happening. I was trying to reprogram the computer and everything was going fine minus the expected hard shifts while the computer was learning the new VB. 1.5 miles into my trip I was going about 40. A VERY hard shift happened. Then the SES light came on. The max felt like it was stuck in a higher gear. I came home and went to the "Tiptronic" and it shows that the max is stuck in 5th gear, What do I do? I know the computer isn't gonna program itself while stuck in 5th and not shifting at all. Thank for the help guys and gals
Update: I just came from my garage, started the Max, it now shows that it is in 1st gear. I don't want to drive it anymore until I figure out what happened earlier.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Sarge

Update: I just came from my garage, started the Max, it now shows that it is in 1st gear. I don't want to drive it anymore until I figure out what happened earlier.

Hi, I have the same problem with my 05 maxima and it starts fine when the car has been sitting and is cold. If you drive it for a couple min it will happen again. My SES light is on as well and when my car started doing this my TCS/SLIP light turned on and I just found out that it could be your speed sensors. They could be dirty or pinched or corroded from water or something so look behind your hubs to find out. Just heard this today but haven't had a chance to look cuz I have my baby. Hope that helps and hope it works for me as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nathaniel216
Hi, I have the same problem with my 05 maxima and it starts fine when the car has been sitting and is cold. If you drive it for a couple min it will happen again. My SES light is on as well and when my car started doing this my TCS/SLIP light turned on and I just found out that it could be your speed sensors. They could be dirty or pinched or corroded from water or something so look behind your hubs to find out. Just heard this today but haven't had a chance to look cuz I have my baby. Hope that helps and hope it works for me as well.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that. Did you have this issue after a VB swap? Would the fact that my Max was on jack stands for a few days (while I was waiting for a replacement VB that was broken upon delivery)? Would the front axle hanging there cause this issue?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOGBIC_gjwo crank shaft positioner bank 2 replacement