6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Momentary loss of all electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 AM

Momentary loss of all electrical power

On my way to work this morning I suddenly loss all electrical power. As I was pulling off the road all power came back on after about 20-30 seconds. At first I thought maybe a loose battery cable but I didnt lose any of my radio presets or any other settings. Any suggestions to what this couldve been, or was it just one of those freaky unexplainable things?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Name:  gremlins_poster.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Still sounds like a loose wire/terminal issue..check the battery terminals,make sure they're clean, check ground cable.terminal on alternator.Radio doesn't need that much electricity to still "stay on" unless if you had it "banging" on aftermarket subs/amps and stuff...Just diagnose the cables/terminals
Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Had this happen to me, however the engine shut off as well. My problem was the Camshaft Position Sensor.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
Still sounds like a loose wire/terminal issue..check the battery terminals,make sure they're clean, check ground cable.terminal on alternator.Radio doesn't need that much electricity to still "stay on" unless if you had it "banging" on aftermarket subs/amps and stuff...Just diagnose the cables/terminals
Agreed! You won't necessarily lose the presets in the car and the fact that you did not lose them should not lead you to believe that the most obvious problem is coming from poor battery terminal connection. Make sure those are properly cleaned and secured first.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM

yup its the cable. my max needs to be wrenched down with unbelievable force to keep from having batt issues. Even though a lose cable will cut off power to your car, if its still in contact with the batt there is enough voltage to keep your presets. Its only when the electrons in the wires come to a complete stop that the memory is lost. Hell, even being over powerlines can keep a nominal flow in a small gauge wire as long as its a complete circuit. I've heard of people nailing coils close to power lines and generates enough voltage to power a decent LED light. Of coarse this is illegal, you can't tamper with city power in any way but its been done.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Sorry for posting on old thread, but I have the same problem. Or almost the same. It happens very rarely though, but it happened today.

I was driving 50mph and was making a left turn, coming to a complete stop, all power went out for a second, and when car was about to shut off, power came back and car kept running. All pre-sets were saved.

When I pulled into parking lot, power went out again for a second. This time it shut the car down. Power got back up, but engine was off.

I was able to turn my car back on and made it to work with no issues, but several hours later, when I sat in my car, pre-sets on player were reset.

So what do you think is the problem? I don't have any SES on. If it is bad battery, why would I have the issues when the car is running? If it's a bad sensor, why I don't have SES light?

Thanks for your help and I will be waiting for answer. Car is Infiniti i35

P.S. unlike original post, I loose power for like a second or may be even less.