6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

AC barely keeps up with hot summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM
UFO

AC barely keeps up with hot summer

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my AC that acts very strangely. Some time ago the AC was blowing room temperature air, so I went to get it checked. I was informed that my suction line was leaking, so I assumed they are correct. Yesterday it was raining hard but still humid outside. I still decided to try out the AC, and to my surprise, it worked. It is not working how it is supposed to be, it is cooling the air, but on 60F and max barely can keep up when it's 82F outside. I did a test today, so I closed all windows and drove it outside for 10 minutes. I have to say that it IS working, but struggles with cooling. Also, it seems that driver's side vents blow colder air compared to passenger side. I do have to say that I did not sweat when I exit the vehicle, so it must be working. Maybe my tinted windows helped, too. Any suggestions and/or cheap fix idea's?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by UFO
Hey guys,

I have an issue with my AC that acts very strangely. Some time ago the AC was blowing room temperature air, so I went to get it checked. I was informed that my suction line was leaking, so I assumed they are correct. Yesterday it was raining hard but still humid outside. I still decided to try out the AC, and to my surprise, it worked. It is not working how it is supposed to be, it is cooling the air, but on 60F and max barely can keep up when it's 82F outside. I did a test today, so I closed all windows and drove it outside for 10 minutes. I have to say that it IS working, but struggles with cooling. Also, it seems that driver's side vents blow colder air compared to passenger side. I do have to say that I did not sweat when I exit the vehicle, so it must be working. Maybe my tinted windows helped, too. Any suggestions and/or cheap fix idea's?
I would bet the farm it is the lower A/C hose that is leaking. Visually, it is the hose that runs along the passenger side engine cover. These are notorious for going bad. I had the same symptoms as you. Your A/C is working but at about 10-20% efficiency. It is not too expensive to replace, that's the good news. Maybe a couple hundred if professionally installed.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM
UFO

Originally Posted by mvodnansky
I would bet the farm it is the lower A/C hose that is leaking. Visually, it is the hose that runs along the passenger side engine cover. These are notorious for going bad. I had the same symptoms as you. Your A/C is working but at about 10-20% efficiency. It is not too expensive to replace, that's the good news. Maybe a couple hundred if professionally installed.
Hey,

Thanks for your fast response. So what about the suction line? Cause I am confused, you are saying that it is the hose, but Expert Tire told me the suction line.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM

id suggest a recharge of refrigerant. make sure they note how much is removed and when new refrigerant is added, have them add the dye to find a leak. the less refrigerant they can recover. the bigger the leak (obviously) but that would help in diagnosis. could be leaking out from around the pump.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=steezmuffin686;8810765]id suggest a recharge of refrigerant. make sure they note how much is removed and when new refrigerant is added, have them add the dye to find a leak. the less refrigerant they can recover. the bigger the leak (obviously) but that would help in diagnosis. could be leaking out from around the pump.[/QUOTE

Originally Posted by UFO
Hey,

Thanks for your fast response. So what about the suction line? Cause I am confused, you are saying that it is the hose, but Expert Tire told me the suction line.
First of all, go somewhere else besides Expert Tire and get a second opinion, as well as ask what a "suction line" is. I've never heard of a line described that way. He could very well mean the low hose though. I would get a 2nd look from somewhere else before you even recharge and dye. This model year almost always will fall on a faulty low hose leak over anything else. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM

The suction line is the low pressure hose, which connects from the evaporator to the compressor.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
UFO

[QUOTE=mvodnansky;8810864]
Originally Posted by steezmuffin686
id suggest a recharge of refrigerant. make sure they note how much is removed and when new refrigerant is added, have them add the dye to find a leak. the less refrigerant they can recover. the bigger the leak (obviously) but that would help in diagnosis. could be leaking out from around the pump.[/QUOTE

First of all, go somewhere else besides Expert Tire and get a second opinion, as well as ask what a "suction line" is. I've never heard of a line described that way. He could very well mean the low hose though. I would get a 2nd look from somewhere else before you even recharge and dye. This model year almost always will fall on a faulty low hose leak over anything else. Good luck!
Good point. I'll do that. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 PM
UFO

Originally Posted by CALIMAX06
The suction line is the low pressure hose, which connects from the evaporator to the compressor.
Thanks for your technical explanation
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM
UFO

Hey guys,

Got today my low pressure (a.k.a. suction line) hose replaced at the dealership. Now my AC is working again. Problem solved! The best $365 investment for my happiness!