6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission Issues help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission Issues help!

Hello guys i am new in this form my gf owns a 2005 nissan maxima se and i for some reason wanted to do a transmission tune up which was to change the filter, gasket and oil so i took apart the transmission oil pan. 8 or 10 torxs bolt hold it behind it was the famous valve body took that off and behind it was the aluminum wall part of the tranny but no filter holly all that work and no filter turns out the filter is not servisable and it inside the tranny passed that wall of aluminum so i put back the valve body and the oil pan put 3 quarts of nissan matik k fluid in then started the car no wierd noises or anything the i added 2 more after 15 minutes i had started the car then i put the car in reverse and it does not move i put the car in drive and it moves fine put it in reverse and i have to give it gas in order for it to move i cant think of anything i may have done wrong so can anyone please help me figure out the problem please i would like to c her happy again before i did this the car was running fine.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JZSARISTO
Hello guys i am new in this form my gf owns a 2005 nissan maxima se and i for some reason wanted to do a transmission tune up which was to change the filter, gasket and oil so i took apart the transmission oil pan. 8 or 10 torxs bolt hold it behind it was the famous valve body took that off and behind it was the aluminum wall part of the tranny but no filter holly all that work and no filter turns out the filter is not servisable and it inside the tranny passed that wall of aluminum so i put back the valve body and the oil pan put 3 quarts of nissan matik k fluid in then started the car no wierd noises or anything the i added 2 more after 15 minutes i had started the car then i put the car in reverse and it does not move i put the car in drive and it moves fine put it in reverse and i have to give it gas in order for it to move i cant think of anything i may have done wrong so can anyone please help me figure out the problem please i would like to c her happy again before i did this the car was running fine.
Why on earth would you try to fix something that isn't broke? Whenever you do "tuneups" you should do research first to find out what kind of work is entailed. In this situation it is hard to diagnose what you could have possibly done wrong. If all you did was remove the cover from the valve body and inspected and replaced without touching anything, then you should have no issues. As you should know, reverse requires the highest fluid pressure, so low fluid could cause this. If I where you, I would check fluid and fill as necessary. Drive the car though all the gears. You typically need to be in "D" and go about 45mph to get to 5th gear. Then park the car and check the fluid again. Fill as necessary. This might fix your problem. If it does not and you did not touch anything else, you need to take it in and have it Diagnosed. Make sure you know what you are talking about or be prepared to lose a lot of money. Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM

well did you even check the transmission fluid level?
why did you add 5 liters, did you drain 5 liters?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM

He said he took the valve body off as well, can't you read, good people?

Chances are, you either did something wrong when reconnecting wire plugs (yes there is a video on internet showing that yes, one or two of the plugs can reach wrong socket), or your gear lever did not engage properly while reinstalling valve body. Also, sounds like you overfilled transmission. From what I remember all you can get out is just a bit less than 4 quarts per drain.

I don't know what to tell you brother. Hope you gf understands what you are going through! Are you still together?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Why on earth would you try to fix something that isn't broke? Whenever you do "tuneups" you should do research first to find out what kind of work is entailed. In this situation it is hard to diagnose what you could have possibly done wrong. If all you did was remove the cover from the valve body and inspected and replaced without touching anything, then you should have no issues. As you should know, reverse requires the highest fluid pressure, so low fluid could cause this. If I where you, I would check fluid and fill as necessary. Drive the car though all the gears. You typically need to be in "D" and go about 45mph to get to 5th gear. Then park the car and check the fluid again. Fill as necessary. This might fix your problem. If it does not and you did not touch anything else, you need to take it in and have it Diagnosed. Make sure you know what you are talking about or be prepared to lose a lot of money. Good luck and hope this helps.
it was not running 100% good wen i would drive the car from 1st to 2nd gear the rpms would climb up without shifting until it engaged like if it would stay sleeping on d the car drives like a dream the problem i am having is in reverse only. When you put the car in reverse it use to engage in reverse before i did the tune up wen it was fine now it does not do that i feel that it could be a solenoid there are 3 of them i think the one that lockes the gears is bad.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kryogen
well did you even check the transmission fluid level?
why did you add 5 liters, did you drain 5 liters?
yes i checked the lvl and i drained 5 quarts so i put back 5 quarts
Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by acercomp71
He said he took the valve body off as well, can't you read, good people?

Chances are, you either did something wrong when reconnecting wire plugs (yes there is a video on internet showing that yes, one or two of the plugs can reach wrong socket), or your gear lever did not engage properly while reinstalling valve body. Also, sounds like you overfilled transmission. From what I remember all you can get out is just a bit less than 4 quarts per drain.

I don't know what to tell you brother. Hope you gf understands what you are going through! Are you still together?
i am very fustrated at this point its her car and i f***** up sorry for the cursing but understand i was only tryinng to make her happy
Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

$1188.93 this is the price from nissan for the vb
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Issues help!-vale-body.jpg  

Last edited by JZSARISTO; 09-24-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM

There is a whole section based on the trans, it is at the top. Take a look through it might help out
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Willing to learn

There are two formed o-ring type seals that are behind the valve body - between the valve body and the transmission. They can easily fall out and be overlooked when removing the valve body.

Perhaps this happened to you?

When you reinstall the valve body without either or both seals, the car will move barely - if you rev the engine enough.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by oldngivout
There are two formed o-ring type seals that are behind the valve body - between the valve body and the transmission. They can easily fall out and be overlooked when removing the valve body.

Perhaps this happened to you?

When you reinstall the valve body without either or both seals, the car will move barely - if you rev the engine enough.
This was exactly my problem i didn't want to believe it at first that, that was the problem but yes it was the top seal had fallen of and the bottom seal was still there so the pressure was only at (D) not in (R) not only that the screws on the valve body are not the same size so be careful guys not to put them were they don't go. Thanks for all your help guys like fairy tales my gf is happy again i see that beautiful smile on her face so i know she is happy!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by JZSARISTO
This was exactly my problem i didn't want to believe it at first that, that was the problem but yes it was the top seal had fallen of and the bottom seal was still there
Thanks for coming back and telling about your experience. So many times there is no follow-up or solution, and the helpful thread simply dies out. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 PM

bring the car to the dealership and have them look at it.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
bring the car to the dealership and have them look at it.
Looks like he already found and fixed the problem.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 AM

Wow...