6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 AM

fog lights

Not working on my 04 ???

Anyone know how I check bulbs / fuse?

Which / where? !?!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Just to be sure, are you referring to the fog lights that are located on the headlight housing. Or the cornering lights on the bottom side of the bumper?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM

annnd we have a winnnerrrr.

---------^

Yes, the fogs are the tiny pieces of **** next to the main beam, and they are worthless, even with 55w hids that will burn your housing down (guess why I know?).

I just don't use the fogs anymore. They dont help you see better, they don't look cool, and you will keep getting flashed because people assume you are on high beam.

I just keep em off all the time and notice absolutely no difference even in the worst fog.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM

the "fog lights" operated by the turn signal stalk - not the Cornering lights.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by FrankfordMaxima
the "fog lights" operated by the turn signal stalk - not the Cornering lights.
Well, technically the cornering lights are also operated by the turn signal stalk.

But the fog light bulbs are notorious for being worthless, as Kryogen has said. They blow out very frequently. I changed mine and they only lasted for a few months before one of them went out again. You can check the fuses if you want, but I'm willing to bet that your bulbs are blown. I'm not sure which panel the fuse will be in, so check the one next to the coolant reservoir and also check the one inside the car by the hood release.

Replacing the fogs was a pretty tight squeeze, but it was a little easier than the headlights, for me anyway. I think my biggest hangup was the retaining clip, because I was pretty much working blind and unable to see anything. . but once I figured it out it was pretty easy.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:19 PM

Thanks Crime & Hero..

Im actually bummed - bummed cause they appear pretty much
useless and even more disappointed that its a PITA to change em
Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM

Well.. now that I have someones attention.. how about my next question:

How do I activate / arm / turn on the alarm system???
Old 12-31-2013, 06:02 PM
oem ftw!

The alarm should be armed automatically when you lock the doors with the key fob. Do you hear the horn chirp or see the lights flash when you do so?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 PM

They may not be the best, but the fog lights make a noticeable difference to me. They are there, might as well keep them functional. Easiest way to replace them is to remove the front bumper and headlight assemblies.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 PM

How much fog do you have to drive in to have your fog light bulb blow out every months?.... lol

You all do know that running fogs during regular night driving actually cause you to see less right?

Having a bright light focused right in front of you makes you see less down the road.
you are cutting your distance vision. Your eyes constrict because of the bright fog that is aimed down and right in-front you.

You get flashed because HID in fog housing is glaring. Even none HID fog lights glare.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
They may not be the best, but the fog lights make a noticeable difference to me. They are there, might as well keep them functional. Easiest way to replace them is to remove the front bumper and headlight assemblies.
Easiest way?!?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by incubus0111
How much fog do you have to drive in to have your fog light bulb blow out every months?.... lol

You all do know that running fogs during regular night driving actually cause you to see less right?

Having a bright light focused right in front of you makes you see less down the road.
you are cutting your distance vision. Your eyes constrict because of the bright fog that is aimed down and right in-front you.

You get flashed because HID in fog housing is glaring. Even none HID fog lights glare.
Around these parts most everyone has their fogs on at night and we see next to NO fog lol. Me included

But then again there are very few places in the MIA where you cant see down the road without headlights lol

Last edited by smplyamzng; 01-01-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by FrankfordMaxima
Easiest way?!?

If it's your first time tackling these bulbs, I highly doubt this will be the easiest way for you. Just reach back there and have at it.

This is a great video that may help you out. This guy removed his grille, but I didn't have to do that for mine. I dunno, I guess everyone has their own method. At any rate, check it out. I'm sure it will be helpful to you:

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...lights/foglamp
Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
The alarm should be armed automatically when you lock the doors with the key fob. Do you hear the horn chirp or see the lights flash when you do so?
I just finally figured it out.

You must hold down the lock button until the lights flash twice.
Otherwise it DOES NOT arm.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 AM

If it's your first time tackling these bulbs, I highly doubt this will be the easiest way for you. Just reach back there and have at it.

This is a great video that may help you out. This guy removed his grille, but I didn't have to do that for mine. I dunno, I guess everyone has their own method. At any rate, check it out. I'm sure it will be helpful to you:

Thanks Crime
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM

If it's your first time tackling these bulbs, I highly doubt this will be the easiest way for you.
It was my first time changing them. And in the end it was definitely the easiest way, by FAR.

Just reach back there and have at it.

LOL, what, you think I didn't try that first?

That may be a viable method if you have hands the size of a 3 year old and triple jointed wrists. On the driver's side I was at least able to remove the intake tract to gain a little access room to replace the bulb. On the passenger side, fuggetaboutit. Reaching in through the wheel wells? Not happening. Maybe if you are a contortionist. Or a masochist.

Otherwise, once I figured there was no way I was just going to just reach in behind the passenger side light and have at it, I bit the bullet and decided to pull the bumper fascia and couldn't believe how easy it was to remove. Like 5 minutes, tops. I was a little intimidated by it at first, but now I don't know why anyone would have trouble with it. I thought it was incredibly easy. Then you can remove the headlight housings and undo the electrical connections, deal with the goofy retaining clip, replace the bulb and put it all back together with ease. Should have done the driver's side that way from the start, too. Lesson learned.

The front bumper cover is nothing to be afraid of.

I love how these videos always only show the driver side.

Last edited by Scramblinman; 01-02-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
oem ftw!

^^ Exactly, it was the easiest method "by FAR" for YOU. Like I said, everyone has their preferred method of tackling these things. I, and many others, have changed the lights without removing a thing. But instead of getting testy on a message board, just think about it... If the guy is asking how to check a bulb and where his fuses are, do you really think that he wants to remove his front bumper and headlight housings?

I changed both headlights by peeling back the wheel well. Took me all of 15 minutes.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM

That's just it, removing the bumper cover is so easy. Especially compared to the admitted difficulty of working blind in an extremely tight space. From the way some people here make it sound with snarky replies and smilies, you'd think removing the bumper cover is like removing the intake manifold. It's not. It's so easy that anyone with enough mechanical inclination to change a bulb can do it. And you have to remove some stuff just to get to the fog light bulbs with the headlight housings in place anyhow, so why not just make it only the bumper cover that gets removed and be done with it? Having done it both ways, I can't imagine why any would want to go through the frustration of just reaching in there and having at it. Honestly, if that was the only option, I'd probably rather pay someone else to do it. It's that much of a PITA, IMHO. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

Hopefully Frankford posts an AAR.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM

PS: Still waiting for that video showing how easy it is to change the passenger side fog light bulb with the headlight housing in place.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM
oem ftw!

No video necessary. To get more working space, all that I did was remove the coolant reservoir / fill tube, which takes 30 seconds. Didn't have to take out my bumper or my headlight housings. Same way that everyone else in this thread did it:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...placement.html

Why make a mountain out of a molehill?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 PM

kmon, removing the bumper to change the bulbs is like removing the engine to change the oil.

On the driver side, just remove the air box.
On the passenger side, just remove the windshield washer tube(half a turn then pull), and move the coolant reservoir a bit. Enough access.

fogs on the max are useless anyway, trust me... they suck and you will keep getting flashed by other drivers.

Last edited by Kryogen; 01-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Kryogen
kmon, removing the bumper to change the bulbs is like removing the engine to change the oil.

On the driver side, just remove the air box.
On the passenger side, just remove the windshield washer tube(half a turn then pull), and move the coolant reservoir a bit. Enough access.

fogs on the max are useless anyway, trust me... they suck and you will keep getting flashed by other drivers.

Well said. Thanks for the input, Kryogen.