6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Good video tutorial on wheel bearing replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 AM

Good video tutorial on wheel bearing replacement!

Hey folks, found this video on youtube and thought it might be helpful to someone. I like that he shows how to do the job without a press. Here is the link

In the video he is working on an 04 Maxima. He also I think had a good video on replacing the timing chain.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 AM

oh god, here is a nice video on how NOT to do it.

strike the ball joint and tie rod end with a hammer so you can screw those
strike the new bearing in with a hammer and screw it while it's brand new

What about using appropriate pullers for the tie rod and ball joint, and using a press the proper way for the bearings? seriously this is a bad how to.
pay a shop 20$ to press your new bearings in if you dont have a press. dont bang on them.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 AM

http://m.harborfreight.com/10-piece-...t#.UxFTVCm9Kc0
Old 03-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Agree w/Kryo about not striking the bearing as that damages it. As far as striking to dislodge the tie rod...90% of shops that i know of use that method(myself included). Using a balljoint puller is actually more harmful than striking

Last edited by smplyamzng; 03-01-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM

LOL, I knew someone would say "that's not the right way to do it," and I agree. But it does give someone an option and a way to do it if need be. Everyone needs their car running and don't always have the luxury or option of paying someone else to do it. When I do my wife's I will take it to a shop and have them removed and pressed in there, hopefully for a nominal fee.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Scratch the shop visit. I'll be visiting harbor freight!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by smplyamzng
Using a balljoint puller is actually more harmful than striking

I didnt say a fork that you bang on.

There is this nice tool nissan recommends, it's like a 3 jaw grip, and when you turn the bolt, it just "pushes" the balljoint and tie rod bolt out, and does not damage anything.

I bought the whole "front end service kit" for 130$ or something. Got 5 tools. Will last a lifetime.
OTC 6295 Front End Service Set: Amazon.ca: Automotive OTC 6295 Front End Service Set: Amazon.ca: Automotive

got it there or something, I am from canada so we dont have Harbor Freight so we pay much more than you in the us.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM

LOL I did mine last fall and I cringed at the video. Scotty Kilmer vids much better. Get the right tool or take the assembly to a machine shop. I took the hub to my local shop and they took out the old bearing and pressed new one in for 50 bucks. One rule of DIY projects like this is not to bang things if you don't have to.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've done that before until one of the bearings actually shattered into pieces because it went a bit sideways. Anyways, that bearing cost me $80 new, I slearned real quick not to do that again. Lots of independent shops will press a bearing in and out for about $20 if you bring them the parts. Much cheaper than banging on the thing and risk damaging it.

As far as removing tie rod ends and ball joints, that is the most common way and most shops do it that way, including the dealerships. It is safe to do if you do it right. Of course, don't strike the thread.

Video is informative and gives a notice a good idea of what is involved in a bearing replacement. Of course there is more than one way of doing something.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
As far as removing tie rod ends and ball joints, that is the most common way and most shops do it that way, including the dealerships. It is safe to do if you do it right. Of course, don't strike the thread.
I didn't say it wasnt a common way to do it. I said it wasnt the proper way to do it, and it is not. Nissan FSM doesnt recomment banging on the part until it breaks loose.

Oh well, bang on your car as much as you want.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 AM

Just finished this bearing replacement and all I can say is USE A PRESS!!!!! If you don't have one, break it down and take the knuckle to someone who does! I found a shop that did mine for 35 bucks and it was worth every penny!!! Hell I'd pay more! It might can be done this way but it's nowhere near worth the aggravation or headaches. I beat half of mine out and then decided "screw this!"
I told the guy at the shop that I originally intended to do it without a press. He just laughed and said " you would have never gotten it out!" "We had 20 Tons of pressure on it and still had to heat it to get it out!" So once again, just take it to a shop that does this stuff. Call around because I found that many don't. It's still a good video to give you an idea what is involved but please ignore that part!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jtricer1973
Just finished this bearing replacement and all I can say is USE A PRESS!!!!! If you don't have one, break it down and take the knuckle to someone who does! I found a shop that did mine for 35 bucks and it was worth every penny!!! Hell I'd pay more! It might can be done this way but it's nowhere near worth the aggravation or headaches. I beat half of mine out and then decided "screw this!"
I told the guy at the shop that I originally intended to do it without a press. He just laughed and said " you would have never gotten it out!" "We had 20 Tons of pressure on it and still had to heat it to get it out!" So once again, just take it to a shop that does this stuff. Call around because I found that many don't. It's still a good video to give you an idea what is involved but please ignore that part!!!
Isnt this exactly what I have said?

Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Isnt this exactly what I have said?

Which is why I posted this update