6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

advise for lowering shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM

advise for lowering shocks and struts

I just put some eibach lowering springs with monroe struts and shocks..they were oem replacements.. now that i have lowered the car which lowering struts and shocks would work best ..for the weight and lowering of the car.
also put front strut bar and rear progressive sway bar.

any feedback would help..
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you just put Eibachs on AND OEM replacements, why would you want to spend more money on "lowering struts and shocks", you pretty much have a new suspension. Also I don't know that you can find any "lowering" struts and shocks for our cars without spending a ton of money. You should have a good stance right now.

Are you OEM replacement new or old?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 PM

So. you lowered your car already, but you want to know what shocks to put on??
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New springs, shocks and struts, sway bars = your set. Move on to your next mod.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
If you just put Eibachs on AND OEM replacements, why would you want to spend more money on "lowering struts and shocks", you pretty much have a new suspension. Also I don't know that you can find any "lowering" struts and shocks for our cars without spending a ton of money. You should have a good stance right now.

Shocks and struts were new..
The reason I was asking I read a article about lowering springs..it mentioned that if you replace with lowering springs u should consider putting on shocks and struts to handle the weight difference and performance?..??? I didn't know if I should go with kyb rather than Monroe's?

By the way nice max nice color..
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gatsugansu
So. you lowered your car already, but you want to know what shocks to put on??
Everything is on now...it lowered the car a lot up front.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jugghead2008
New springs, shocks and struts, sway bars = your set. Move on to your next mod.
Looking to change brakes all around,,
Not sure what looks better plain rotors or drilled. Or drilled and slotted..
Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 07maxinsa
Looking to change brakes all around,,
Not sure what looks better plain rotors or drilled. Or drilled and slotted..
Run the monroes for atleast 80,000 if they're new. Why waste more money on another set. Monroes are a pretty good bang for your buck. Then go with tokiko's or KYB when it comes time you have to change the struts. The eibach springs will outlast your car and for the rotors it's a matter of preference. Are you racing it? If not regular rotors are fine for a daily driver unless you want to go cross drilled or cross drilled and slotted for asthetic purposes because they do look good. Cross drilled or drilled and slotted disipate the heat allowing for better braking. So the choice is yours.
Go cross drilled and slotted
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM

I don't race just drive very aggressive. ..I think drilled with some very good pads is the way.any suggestions ??
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 PM

I don't race just drive very aggressive. ..I think drilled with some very good pads is the way.any suggestions ??
Just shop around and see what you like. Brembo are good but maybe a little too pricey for that application but ofcoarse the choice is yours and brembo does make a high quality product. The company I got mine from are local to me here in Canada but im sure there are many local to you that should sell a decent product at a reasonable price. Just google it and see. I use cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads and find them to be a pretty good combo. Find something with a decent warranty against any cracking or warping.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Unless you live somewhere where the roads are super smooth, don't get the KYB struts. You'll feel everything EVERYTHING you run over (cracks, cigarette butts, pennies, etc). You can seriously fling it into a turn with no body roll though, that's the only plus side.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
Unless you live somewhere where the roads are super smooth, don't get the KYB struts. You'll feel everything EVERYTHING you run over (cracks, cigarette butts, pennies, etc). You can seriously fling it into a turn with no body roll though, that's the only plus side.
Thanks Jason,
That's what I heard about kyb. I'm just like the ride from my sl stock. But it was a bit soft, just needed to firm it up a bit. Coil covers are too much for me.
Would you know if I would need a camber kit for my max 07 front or rear ..due to the springs..???????? Anyone have some feedback on this issue?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks Jason,
That's what I heard about kyb. I'm just like the ride from my sl stock. But it was a bit soft, just needed to firm it up a bit. Coil covers are too much for me.
Would you know if I would need a camber kit for my max 07 front or rear ..due to the springs..???????? Anyone have some feedback on this issue?
If your tires aren't hitting the fenders over bumps or your looking to take hard turns i wouldn't worry about installing camber bolts unless your wanting to tuck your wheels
Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Thanks Jason,
You have good setup, Eibachs and stock shock and struts are fine. I went with Rotorpros Drilled and Slotted with their low dust brake pads.

My OEM rotors warped and needed to be replaced anyway. You can look at Alien Rotors but their brake pads dusted up my wheels bad.

You don't need a camber kit unless you can't align the car.

Aliens (on left) vs RotorPros side by side:
Name:  468e6ff3.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  a984b162.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  105.4 KB
Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
If your tires aren't hitting the fenders over bumps or your looking to take hard turns i wouldn't worry about installing camber bolts unless your wanting to tuck your wheels
i have 245/45/18 with 18x8 no issues with fenders..i think its fine like it is..
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 PM

You have good setup, Eibachs and stock shock and struts are fine. I went with Rotorpros Drilled and Slotted with their low dust brake pads.

My OEM rotors warped and needed to be replaced anyway. You can look at Alien Rotors but their brake pads dusted up my wheels bad.

You don't need a camber kit unless you can't align the car.

Aliens (on left) vs RotorPros side by side:

i like the aliens they look new vs the other ones they look used...my oem front rotors warped also... at 60k. i just put some from amazon for now,they were open box so no big cost to me.
the alignment is ok but not the same as before the new set up front..i put new struts,rubber seat,strut mount,springs,sway bar link.my issue is i marked the tread on top of the strut mount only on the driver side forgot to do pass, side...not sure if it went back the same way it came out???? that might be a issue so if read..?
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 PM

i like the aliens they look new vs the other ones they look used...my oem front rotors warped also... at 60k. i just put some from amazon for now,they were open box so no big cost to me.
the alignment is ok but not the same as before the new set up front..i put new struts,rubber seat,strut mount,springs,sway bar link.my issue is i marked the tread on top of the strut mount only on the driver side forgot to do pass, side...not sure if it went back the same way it came out???? that might be a issue so if read..?
You are right, those were pics in the swap. I was taking off the used up Rotorpros for Aliens. I like the way the look on the car better.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Thanks Jason,

I had my car aligned after I put the struts/springs on and they were able to get it in spec without using camber bolts or anything else for that matter. I even went to a slightly larger tire 255/45/18 and it doesn't rub anywhere (although the aftermarket wheels I put on have a different offset than the factory wheels). Also if you're still on the stock 17" wheels that the SL came with, going up to an 18" wheels will firm up the ride a little bit.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
I had my car aligned after I put the struts/springs on and they were able to get it in spec without using camber bolts or anything else for that matter. I even went to a slightly larger tire 255/45/18 and it doesn't rub anywhere (although the aftermarket wheels I put on have a different offset than the factory wheels). Also if you're still on the stock 17" wheels that the SL came with, going up to an 18" wheels will firm up the ride a little bit.
The ride did change a bit after going to 18"s from my stock 17"s..
I think the guy from the local shop was not to educated about maxima alignments.....?.going to take it for a lifetime alignment ,,for future alignments...
Old 04-05-2014, 08:28 AM

You are right, those were pics in the swap. I was taking off the used up Rotorpros for Aliens. I like the way the look on the car better.
I looked up the aliens rotors they are going for 229.00 for all four...u mentioned the pads r a bit dusty, I might have to do some research on ,best pads for that kind of rotor and driving conditions..
On alien rotors that have drilled and slotted....they can not b cut ???