6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Speedo & Odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Speedo & Odometer not working

Hello everyone. Been some time since I was on here. 2005 Maxima has treated me pretty well, but a few issues I've been ignoring. One has been the gauge cluster. It started with my Speedometer and Odometer not working occasionally. The tachometer always works and engine light never came on.

I suspect it is the cluster as I took it out, reinstalled it and it worked for a day or so.

My questions are:

1) If I replace the cluster with a used one, does the odometer of the new cluster start with the last mileage of the car it was from, or does it recognize your mileage?

2) I assume it was the last mileage from the car it was from. If so, what happens if I get a cluster from the USA in miles, when my odometer is in kilometers?

3) Any suggestions how this can be fixed without changing the cluster? I can't believe it is a fuse as the tachometer works fine. After removing it there is not much on the back, no screws to tighten or anything. I can try again and clean the connections, might be worth a try.

Any suggestions would really help.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Just bumping this hoping someone knows the answer I've read many threads and done searches but it does not seem to be for this generation.

I removed it last night and cleaned the contacts, no luck.

Mine seems to be different than some I've read about where the tacometer works fine. No speedo or odometer. Kilometers stay where they last were.

KC
Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM

You probably have a failed transmission speed sensor. This is what sends the transmission revolutions to the speedo and odometer. This is the replacement part you are looking for. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...BSL%2B4%2BDOOR
Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 AM

If you install a used cluster from the salvage yard, the odometer mileage will be that of the car it came out of. There is an integrated circuit that could be swapped over, but it is a surface mount chip and requires very expert soldering skills.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by myownworld
You probably have a failed transmission speed sensor. This is what sends the transmission revolutions to the speedo and odometer. This is the replacement part you are looking for. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...BSL%2B4%2BDOOR
So I had the cluster looked at and for some reason the company everyone sends their clusters too was unable to test the Nissan one properly. They attempted to solder some contacts that looked broken, but in the end it did not work. Luckily I was not charged either.

So now I'll attempt what I am hoping it the real problem, as suggested. I do have a few questions:

1) I want to source the part in Canada. Any chance you have the original part # from Nissan? Nissan wants 200.00 for it. Did not want to give me part #, I guess he knew.

2) Would any of those parts in the link you sent work? As long as it is for a 5 speed automatic transmission

3) It was mentioned there are 2 speed sensors with same part #. Is that true? What one do you suspect needs changing.

4) Do you know location of the one that needs changing? I'll do more searched of course, thought you might know.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM

The revolution sensor is part # 31935-8Y000 for the 5 speed AT in cars manufactured 01/2003 -08/2005.

The revolution sensor is part # 31935-8E006 for the 4 speed AT in cars manufactured 08/2004 -08/2005.

The parts list does show the sensor used twice in the 5 speed transmission, but I don't know which sensor is used for the speedometer. Look in the inset in this parts diagram drawing.

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ew_pnlPartList

The link for Rock Auto Parts that was posted by myownworld is for a 2004 Maxima. The 2005 page is different. Here is the link for the 2005 with Canadian prices.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10634
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Upon reading the FSM, I came across this paragraph describing the instrument cluster (that Nissan calls "Combination Meters"):

SPEEDOMETER
ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) provides a vehicle speed signal to the unified meter and A/C amp. via CAN communication lines. After unified meter and A/C amp. receives the vehicle speed signal, it changes the signal to 8 pulse signal and provides the 8 pulse signal to the combination meter for the speedometer via communication line.

Here is a link to the service manual section where I got this. It is the bottom of page 7.
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2005/DI.pdf
Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The revolution sensor is part # 31935-8Y000 for the 5 speed AT in cars manufactured 01/2003 -08/2005.

The revolution sensor is part # 31935-8E006 for the 4 speed AT in cars manufactured 08/2004 -08/2005.

The parts list does show the sensor used twice in the 5 speed transmission, but I don't know which sensor is used for the speedometer. Look in the inset in this parts diagram drawing.

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ew_pnlPartList

The link for Rock Auto Parts that was posted by myownworld is for a 2004 Maxima. The 2005 page is different. Here is the link for the 2005 with Canadian prices.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10634
You are awesome. Thanks so much. I ordered part # 5S561 yesterday as another dealer told me my part # was 31935-8Y000. Dealer wanted 200.00 for their part. I got it all included for $141.00. We'll see how long it takes to get to Canada.

Since there are 2, I guess I'll switch one, hope it works and if not switch the other. Trial and error and hope for the best.

Waiting for it gives me time to find them on my car. I suspect one will be easier. Thanks for the diagram. Not sure how to get to them yet but gives me an idea. I found a right up for one of them I should be able to locate.I thought the other was located by removing the front wheel on the drivers side, but that was a 2001 model I think.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kevin
Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Upon reading the FSM, I came across this paragraph describing the instrument cluster (that Nissan calls "Combination Meters"):

SPEEDOMETER
ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) provides a vehicle speed signal to the unified meter and A/C amp. via CAN communication lines. After unified meter and A/C amp. receives the vehicle speed signal, it changes the signal to 8 pulse signal and provides the 8 pulse signal to the combination meter for the speedometer via communication line.

Here is a link to the service manual section where I got this. It is the bottom of page 7.
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2005/DI.pdf
Thanks for the manual and link. Are you suggesting this may not be the speed sensor? I checked all the fuses and they all looked fine.

Please elaborate what you are suggesting here, if anything specific. I'm certainly not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but I can usually fumble through some things.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Well I received the speed sensor, changed one of them, tried it out, no change.

replaced that one and changed the second one, no change.

Quick question, when I read instructions how to change it, they always say disconnect the negative post on the battery? Is this necessary for the sensor to kick in or just a safety measure? I did not disconnect it on the first sensor is why I ask.

I'm really stumped. If I can't get the speedo fixed it's going to be really tough to sell this car for what it is worth. It only has 100,000 kilometres in almost 10 years.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Should I take it to the dealer to at least get it diagnosed?
I disconnected my ABS years ago and those lights are always on, so I am wondering if it might trigger the wrong codes.

Of course it really could be the cluster and the company that tried to fix it was just unable to.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

KC
Old 07-19-2014, 05:57 PM

The statement to disconnect the battery is a safety precaution. There isn't any 12 volts on those speed sensors when the ignition is turned off.

I kind of suspect the cluster. Maybe you can find a cheap cluster in a salvage yard to try. Or you can look for another repair place. The way you described the repair place you did use, well, let's just say I am much less than impressed.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM

The statement to disconnect the battery is a safety precaution. There isn't any 12 volts on those speed sensors when the ignition is turned off.

I kind of suspect the cluster. Maybe you can find a cheap cluster in a salvage yard to try. Or you can look for another repair place. The way you described the repair place you did use, well, let's just say I am much less than impressed.
Thanks Dennis, I appreciate the response. I'll try both. First see if I can get a cluster to test at least. Just have to find the time to get to a scrap year.

Would Nissan be able to do a test to see if it is the cluster? Would certain codes come up do you think? Not sure we have places that just run the diagnostic and give you the codes for a fee. Seems they have places in the USA that do it for free.

Thanks again,

KC
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM

The nissan dealer can test the cluster while it is in the car with their Consult tester. Most dealers (at least here in the US) will do a diagnostic and let you know. Of course you will have to pay for that. I'm guessing that you would have to pay a one hour charge, which is $100 USD an hour.

But my brain kicked in and I remembered that there is a built in self diagnostic for the instrument cluster. It is section DI of the service manual. The instrument cluster section starts on page 5 and describes how it works. The self diagnostic procedure starts on page 15.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2005_Maxima/di.pdf
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM

The nissan dealer can test the cluster while it is in the car with their Consult tester. Most dealers (at least here in the US) will do a diagnostic and let you know. Of course you will have to pay for that. I'm guessing that you would have to pay a one hour charge, which is $100 USD an hour.

But my brain kicked in and I remembered that there is a built in self diagnostic for the instrument cluster. It is section DI of the service manual. The instrument cluster section starts on page 5 and describes how it works. The self diagnostic procedure starts on page 15.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2005_Maxima/di.pdf
I missed this post. Been getting other pieces changed out, coolant leak and exhaust. Car is in the shop now as I could not get the rear catalytic converter off and had to pay to get it done. Bought the part myself so saved a bit there.

He said he'll run a diagnostic but he's a regular mechanic so not sure what he'll find out, if anything. I can try this myself and see what I can find out. My main question I am not getting is when I
7. Push the odo/trip meter switch. Each meter/gauge should indicate
as shown in the figure while pushing odo/trip meter switch.
(At this time, the low-fuel warning lamp goes off.)

What does it mean by "indicate" as shown in the figure? Nothing really shown in the figure.

If I try to replace the cluster, can you tell me what years would fit a 2005 Maxima SE. I have a feeling it is only 2004 and 2005.

Thanks again,

KC