6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2006 Nissan Maxima timing chain problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 Nissan Maxima timing chain problem

Last week I bought 2006 Nissan Maxima from Ed-Martin Acura. Now whenever I am pressing the gas paddle a high pitched whine noise is coming from the engine. I took it to Nissan Service Center and they said my Timing Chain need to be replaced. They even said if the timing chain snaps I have to replace the engine. Can anyone one tell me if this is really timing chain issue ? Can timing chain really snaps? I thought timing chain can not snap. What will be the adverse effect if I do not change the timing belt now. I just bought the car and don't have money to replace the timing belt now. I would like to wait for another six months.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Did you at least get a 30 or 90 day warranty? Go back, tell them to figure it out and fix it.

Most likely it's not the timing chain. And no, timing chains don't snap. They were either testing you to see if you are stupid enough to believe them and take you for a ride, or they're just plain stupid themselves.

Could be lots of things. Bad alternator, bad pulley(s) etc etc.
Without more info, I'd say your alternator is shot. Considering it's 8 years old now and you have over 100k miles, I wouldn't be surprised if it's on its way out. Need a lot more info and quick testing to be for sure.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 AM

dealership problem

Originally Posted by biswajitroy04
Last week I bought 2006 Nissan Maxima from Ed-Martin Acura. Now whenever I am pressing the gas paddle a high pitched whine noise is coming from the engine. I took it to Nissan Service Center and they said my Timing Chain need to be replaced. They even said if the timing chain snaps I have to replace the engine. Can anyone one tell me if this is really timing chain issue ? Can timing chain really snaps? I thought timing chain can not snap. What will be the adverse effect if I do not change the timing belt now. I just bought the car and don't have money to replace the timing belt now. I would like to wait for another six months.

Sounds like the dealership needs to fix the problem; unless you specifically bought as is.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by biswajitroy04
The 6th gen has two major problems. 1) is the transmission's valve body. 1a) you can fix this with a level 10 valve body with shift kit. 2) the timing chain. The guides are made of plastic and they will wear out. so I wouldn't ignore what Nissan is saying when they say the timing chain is bad. I would get yourself a second opinion and if they say the same thing then I would get it replaced or if there is a warranty, make Nissan fix it.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 PM

You should be able to go another 6 months with your timing chain. However, timing chains usually making a rattling clacking noise.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Administrator

OP went through the trouble of creating an account, posting a thread...never to return.

Last activity was when he posted. Our advice seems to be falling on deaf ears.