6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New fuel pump making noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:21 PM

New fuel pump making whining noise?

For years my 04 Max would occasionally not crank on 1st attempt but always cranked on 2nd turn of the key so i finally replaced my fuel pump last week and I am happy to say problem solved!

Unfortunately now i have 2 new fuel pump related problems...

My 1st new issue is a whining/distortion type of noise which comes and goes, it is coming from the new fuel pump. I showed the Mechanic who did the installation and he thinks it could be a defective fuel pump.

I found a video on YouTube of a similar car with the same noise I'm experiencing (link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58lr...ature=youtu.be

The 2nd new issue I'm having is now my gas gauge is not measuring correctly! It is showing 3/4 tank of gas is still remaing after I have driven 190 miles after filling the tank. Before I would have less gas after driving that distance. (For years i would get the low fuel level light after 290 miles of driving).

I am now considering replacing my fuel pump AGAIN but with a better quality pump since the brand I just used is not working propererly (i can return for full refund)

The better quality options from advance auto parts are $238 for a bosch fuel pump or $274 for a Delphi fuel pump. The carquest brand i have now was $187. These prices already reflect a 25% discount I'm receiving for ordering online. I have not considered the OEM fuel pump cause nissan charges around $800 for part alone!

So my question is what is causing that annoying whining noise and should i replace the new fuel pump with the same aftermarket brand (carquest) or should i pay a little extra for the bosch fuel pump or the Delphi fuel pump? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by MiaRaider81; 03-23-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Update on fuel pump replacment

I ended up replacing fuel pump again but this time i purchased the bosch brand from advance auto parts. My problem seems to be solved, no more noises from the pump and now the gas meter seems to be measuring correctly.