6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I would like advise on removing/reinstalling the manifold and valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:28 AM

I would like advise on removing/reinstalling the manifold and valve covers

So I have been having a cylinder 1 misfire(p0301) with some rough idle. It actually hasn't had a rough idle in a few weeks, but once it comes back I want to be prepared to replace the coil with a replacement one i have(from another used maxima). The NGK plugs were installed about 20k miles ago. I am also looking to replace the gaskets for the manifold and the egr valve while I'm at it. I also plan on replacing the valve cover gaskets. The car has 209k and i figure i might as well do it since the gaskets arent very expensive. Now, I am debating whether getting a torque wrench to torgue down the valve cover and manifold bolts. I have seen some videos doing the job on the 3.5L Quest. So I know the specs for the bolts on the Nissan Quest(Valve Cover bolts 1st tighten at 17inch-lbs then at 74inch-lbs. Intake manifold plenum bolts at 14ft-lb and EGR bolts at 12ft-lbs). Would these specs be the same on a 2006 maxima? The few videos I have seen for maximas, no one tightens the nuts to spec. Also, If anyone has any other advise, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:30 PM

The Manifold is a REAL pain in the *** to remove because you have to remove a lot of things just to get off the intake plenum. There are 4 bolts behind the Intake that will make you want to punch a child. After you have all that off it should be fine.

To answer the Torque specs, I NEVER spec valve cover bolts as they are typically 10mm and I PROMISE YOU!, you use a Torque wrench on the Valve cover you will snap a bolt. Just do the cross tighten on the bolts and you will fine, Intake as well. Order all the gaskets you need Ect to get the job done.

Change ALL the spark plugs while you have the intake plenum off. Don't just assume it's the coil, so replace Both the coil and the spark plug for Cylinder one and change all the plugs in every cylinder, at 209k i'm sure its time anyway.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
The Manifold is a REAL pain in the *** to remove because you have to remove a lot of things just to get off the intake plenum. There are 4 bolts behind the Intake that will make you want to punch a child. After you have all that off it should be fine.

To answer the Torque specs, I NEVER spec valve cover bolts as they are typically 10mm and I PROMISE YOU!, you use a Torque wrench on the Valve cover you will snap a bolt. Just do the cross tighten on the bolts and you will fine, Intake as well. Order all the gaskets you need Ect to get the job done.

Change ALL the spark plugs while you have the intake plenum off. Don't just assume it's the coil, so replace Both the coil and the spark plug for Cylinder one and change all the plugs in every cylinder, at 209k i'm sure its time anyway.
I'm all for replacing the plugs, but you think the NGK plug would be done so soon? all 6 only have about 20k miles(about 3 1/2 years old)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by follyburr
I'm all for replacing the plugs, but you think the NGK plug would be done so soon? all 6 only have about 20k miles(about 3 1/2 years old)
Thats fine too, But check the cost to replace them all even at 20k miles on it, it wouldn't be bad insurance.

Get the Forum a shout if you have any other questions.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Thats fine too, But check the cost to replace them all even at 20k miles on it, it wouldn't be bad insurance.

Get the Forum a shout if you have any other questions.
That's a fair point.