6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Where The Heck Is My Starter?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Where The Heck Is My Starter?!?!

ISSUE SOLVED! Look 8 Posts Down.

Hey people! So I went to start my car oneday and nothing happened when I turned the key. For a month or two sometimes my car needed a few key turns before the starter would turn on and start the car. I knew it was going out. But this time I must have had a low battery because even though the starter was working it was going too slow for the engine to turn over and start up; just kinda chugging. I turned off all AC and electrics and kept trying hoping I would get a lucky spark of life but then something weird happened. when I released the key from starting position I heard a whining noise from the front of my car like an electric motor and absolutely nothing happened when I turned the key. I started smelling a burning wire smell so I scrambled to get a wrench to disconnect the battery. By the time I got the wrench, about 30-40 seconds later, the whining noise had just stopped and now my car is completely dead. When i put the key in ALL the dash lights come on and stay on no matter what position I turn the key. All lights like, every single LED in the entire panel on the dash turn on and stay on.

So I am pretty sure it is the starter. I'm not sure exactly how starters work, but I think there is the motor, and a little gear that comes down to engage the engine. Maybe when I tried starting the car with low battery juice and holding the ignition on for 6 seconds, and then 4-5seconds and again some more, when I stopped turning the key the gear went up but something fused itself on making the starter run without being engaged to the car and burning up what was left of the starter?? Can this happen?

My problem now is I can't find the damn thing. Everywhere online says its right under the intake tubing. And it is completely obvious in it's location when I look at pictures and videos, but it's just NOT THERE!! Then I saw a video of someone with a 2004 maxima telling me all the videos out there are wrong and the starter is right under the battery. So I took out the battery, the battery platform and again. nothing. Now I know there is a mess of hoses and wires in this area, but still I don't see ANYTHING cylindrical. I don't see the solenoid or starter from any angle. Also when I say videos/pictures, I mean like 2 pictures of the VQ35DE in another car, and 2 crappy videos, one in another language. The one "good" video is this one
But i'm telling you, the starter is NOT THERE. it's just NOT FREAKING THERE!!!! WTF!!!! I need help guys i needed this fixed the day before yesterday.

Am I missing something here? Where is this stupid thing?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 08-08-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Upload a picture. It’ll be under all the air intake stuff. All that needs to be removed which is easy.
2-15mm bolts I believe are the size. There’s also the battery connection cable. And a clip connectors.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 PM

What transmission does your maxima have? Last week I was going to replace the starter because my car wouldn't turn on anymore. I followed that video only find that the starter location for my 5 speed wasn't right under the intake. I went ahead and tested my not so old battery and one of the cells was not working. I simply got a new battery and my car turns on again. As for the starter, I think I saw a video where the starter wasn't under the intake but on the passenger side on the front of the engine. It is protected by the metal plate that has 2 bolts keeping it in place. Next to exhaust/ precat pipes.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by follyburr
What transmission does your maxima have? Last week I was going to replace the starter because my car wouldn't turn on anymore. I followed that video only find that the starter location for my 5 speed wasn't right under the intake. I went ahead and tested my not so old battery and one of the cells was not working. I simply got a new battery and my car turns on again. As for the starter, I think I saw a video where the starter wasn't under the intake but on the passenger side on the front of the engine. It is protected by the metal plate that has 2 bolts keeping it in place. Next to exhaust/ precat pipes.
I have the 5at. so it is the automatic configuration. I'm just so confused. The starter is an obvious looking piece of equipment but there is no sign of it under the intake junk.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 AM

I’m thinking that you have not consulted an FSM?

That might be a good idea.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 AM

I did consult a FSM and it's just as vague as everything else. It's gives an idea of where to go for the M/T and 4AT engines but nothing for the 5AT which is what I have. Here is the FSM pages on replacing the starter. Based on the picture, does anyone have an idea of where this starter is located?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MiaRaider81
absolutely false^^^ lol
troll??
Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 PM

i wish it was that easy
Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 AM

OK GUYS I FOUND IT!!! For a 2004 Nissan Maxima 5AT the starter is UNDER THE CAR. It is NOT under the air box or battery. If you are looking for your starter jack up the car and look between the radiator and y-pipe. It will be close to the ground right where the engine meets the transmission. There are two 14mm bolts that hold it in place. You will want a long handled wrench/torque wrench. There is also a 14mm nut that holds the wiring harness and a small black ground wire that unclips. Here are the pictures.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 08-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.