6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Timing

Can someone please help point me in the right direction of getting my cams back in sync with my crank...I get everything lined up with my marks but I caint turn it past tdc as if it's hitting a valve..everything was lined up with marks on cams and crank..I'm lost
Old 12-04-2019, 10:37 PM

You need to start over following the timing procedure in the FSM. Start from the beginning, it will walk you through it A to Z. Trust me, I've been where you are and I realize how scary it can be for the first time.

Good call on recognizing what you suspect is happening, you are exactly right. Interference motor.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will attempt to go over all this one more time from fsm..for the life of me turning real slow not to hit anything so I would feel it..I get to tdc and it hits both ways in the same spot..I'm frustrated
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Partridge
I will attempt to go over all this one more time from fsm..for the life of me turning real slow not to hit anything so I would feel it..I get to tdc and it hits both ways in the same spot..I'm frustrated
My cams are lined up but still caint get past tdc for some reason..any ideas?
Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Take off the plug and stick a long screwdriver in there to make sure that TDC is TDC.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Take off the plug and stick a long screwdriver in there to make sure that TDC is TDC.
all plugs are out and upper plenum.i put a strawl in #1 spark plug and it goes down then back up but its like it's not going up all the way or something to allow me to actually get to the top of TDC. my crank keyway stops right before the mark on back timing cover and counter clock wise it stops before it almost the same spot..what am I missing?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:31 PM

#1 lobes are up and in?
Old 12-06-2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Partridge
Can someone please help point me in the right direction of getting my cams back in sync with my crank...I get everything lined up with my marks but I caint turn it past tdc as if it's hitting a valve..everything was lined up with marks on cams and crank..I'm lost
Please explain how you got to this point. Did you replace the chain, tensioner ect?? Help us understand how it got out of timing to start with.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I re-done all my timing stuff.everything turned fine at the start.somewere along the line chain must have slipped .I didn't know what side it was so went to adjusting them being careful not to hit a valve.i can get all my marks lined back up chain and all.but it will only allow me to make one full turn then tink and something counter stops about the same spot just about..valve for i put a strawl in the plug holes and 1 and 4 don't go quite as high as the rest at tdc..plus cylinder 1 or 2 valves don't move.not sure what stoping me..it's like 6 should be 1 what it seems like.because I can get it at it's highest pointup and down no problem...is it possible who owned car before me went off #6. So they didn't have to pull intake and all that off..not sure?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Okay, you might have not noticed this when removing the top guide and the tensioner the exhaust cam will tend to move counter clockwise in the resting position, about a quarter turn very quickly and skip a bunch on links. If your valve cover is off you best putting everything in tdc individually according to the FSM. Take picture of your chain and cams. I want to see if everything is lined up.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Okay, you might have not noticed this when removing the top guide and the tensioner the exhaust cam will tend to move counter clockwise in the resting position, about a quarter turn very quickly and skip a bunch on links. If your valve cover is off you best putting everything in tdc individually according to the FSM. Take picture of your chain and cams. I want to see if everything is lined up.
I even went as far as unbolting my cam caps.all my cams are loose but yet I'm still hitting something right after we're the line is on timing cover is pointing towards #1 counter clock it stops right before it. Cams are all loose! What else is there I could be hitting.im at a lost! Starter is still hooked up and the car is in park but it's an automatic and shouldn't matter being we start our cars in park and it turns anyhow..just for the hell of it I pushed in the button lock for shift and still nothing..one wheel is still on a ramp but I don't see what that has to do with anything..anymore ideas because I'm out?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:00 AM

USB endoscope time.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Really this is all you need. If your chains had visible marks follow this.*

Close up of secondary marks. Don't mix up the sprocket dowel holes, there's 2 different sizes