6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cranks but no starts p1610

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 04:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cranks but no starts p1610

Ive been puzzled and Ive searched but no luck on figuring out why it doesn't start. It cranks like a champ but no start. Recently put a new fuel pump and starter. Parked car for a week and battery died and tried jump starting and it wouldn't start. Pulled codes with p1610 and p1614. Tried again a different day and code p1614 went away. I have yet to look at fuses because the fuse covers dont show what all fuses do. The security light is solid. All help is appreciated!

Last edited by sezycanias; 05-22-2021 at 04:38 AM. Reason: adjust title
Old 05-22-2021, 05:00 AM

P1610 NISSAN Possible Causes What does this mean? Faulty or not programmed ignition key Faulty IMMU Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

https://www.autocodes.com/p1610_nissan.html

I had this happen about 4 years ago. The key no longer pared up to the car. I had to tow it to the dealer to have the key reprogrammed.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:09 AM

You should try your second key if you have one.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:12 AM

And, if you do take it to have the key reprogrammed, then make sure your spare key is programmed as well.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The key ring is like half on. Would this cause a malfunction? Should I just call a locksmith and take my chances? Any fuses related the the system that I should take a look at ?
Old 05-22-2021, 06:52 AM

Check this:

The security indicator blinks when the ignition switch is in OFF or ACC position. NVIS (NATS) warns out-siders that the vehicle is equipped with the anti-theft system. When NVIS (NATS) detects a malfunction, the security indicator lamp lights up while ignition key is in the ON position.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TDGrant
You should try your second key if you have one.
Yes, that's the first step. If you don't have a spare key then have the chip in the key replaced and reprogrammed. If that does not resolve the issue, scan again and let's have the codes. If P1614 resurfaces, then your BCM is the culprit.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by TDGrant
And, if you do take it to have the key reprogrammed, then make sure your spare key is programmed as well.

This diagram is for the 6.5Gen with twist prox key. The 6th Gen is without the Intelligent Key Unit and Steering Lock Solenoid.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:22 AM

Old 05-22-2021, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sezycanias
The key ring is like half on. Would this cause a malfunction? Should I just call a locksmith and take my chances? Any fuses related the the system that I should take a look at ?
Originally Posted by Costee
Yes, that's the first step. If you don't have a spare key then have the chip in the key replaced and reprogrammed. If that does not resolve the issue, scan again and let's have the codes. If P1614 resurfaces, then your BCM is the culprit.
I really hope its not the bcm. I dont have a spare key so Ill start by getting it programmed and hope it works.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:00 PM

Did the partially lit keyring begin with the current issue? If so, that means it's been dislodged. Was any repair made in the ignition cylinder area? The immobilizer amp is located on the cylinder, if it's dislodged then you may have a no-start issue as the amp would be out of reach to receive signals from the chip in your key. Again, when you say the red security light is on solid, is that without the key?
Old 05-22-2021, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did the partially lit keyring begin with the current issue? If so, that means it's been dislodged. Was any repair made in the ignition cylinder area? The immobilizer amp is located on the cylinder, if it's dislodged then you may have a no-start issue as the amp would be out of reach to receive signals from the chip in your key. Again, when you say the red security light is on solid, is that without the key?
My car died because i left the light on and didnt want to jumpstart it for a week lol. It stays solid whenever i put the key in
Old 05-22-2021, 12:17 PM

My car died because i left the light on and didnt want to jumpstart it for a week lol. It stays solid whenever i put the key in
Ok. I guess the system has lost the memory of your key. You should be fine if it's reprogrammed back into it.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok. I guess the system has lost the memory of your key. You should be fine if it's reprogrammed back into it.
If reprogramming doesnt work what fuses should I look at and also how hard is it to replace the bcm?
Old 05-22-2021, 12:30 PM

If reprogramming doesnt work what fuses should I look at and also how hard is it to replace the bcm?
Really, there's no fuse to look for. The system is controlled and powered by the bcm. The only thing controlled by the fuse is the security lamp if not lighting up. Since it appears there's a loss of memory you could try this method if it could relearn the key. If it does not then reprogramme:
:1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Turn ignition switch ON with registered key. (Do not start engine.) Wait 5 seconds.
3. Return the key to OFF position. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of three cycles).
5. Start the engine.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Really, there's no fuse to look for. The system is controlled and powered by the bcm. The only thing controlled by the fuse is the security lamp if not lighting up. Since it appears there's a loss of memory you could try this method if it could relearn the key. If it does not then reprogramme:
:1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Turn ignition switch ON with registered key. (Do not start engine.) Wait 5 seconds.
3. Return the key to OFF position. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of three cycles).
5. Start the engine.
What fuse controls anything even close related to it, i just want to make sure and I’ve tried this. Read online something like keep trying this until the solid light goes away. Plan on giving this a try
Old 05-22-2021, 12:50 PM

What fuse controls anything even close related to it, i just want to make sure and I’ve tried this. Read online something like keep trying this until the solid light goes away. Plan on giving this a try
10A fuse, #19 in the fuse box left side of the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I don't have my Maxima anymore. But the fuse is located midway in the box. Or you could check all 10A fuses in the box.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

10A fuse, #19 in the fuse box left side of the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I don't have my Maxima anymore. But the fuse is located midway in the box. Or you could check all 10A fuses in the box.
I’ll attempt it and post an update if im able to get it fixed. Thanks man i appreciate it even though you dont even have a maxima anymore