7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:45 PM

teh drag limit is weird though..youd think a more aerodynamic and powerful and lighter AND smaller car would be faster than a last 6gen..although ive done just over 145 in the 6th gen 6MT (yeah, it was dumb but i wont do it again) it was still pullin a tad...probably coulda done a few mph more..and was only at somewhere around 4-5K but anyway..i love the maxima and still havent decided if I want a new one or not. And by the way..the whole thing about top speed numbers for some people is the bragging rights and just knowing that its capable of it. if you look at 2 nice cars, one goes 100MPH tops and the other does 170MPH tops..the 2nd one will be more attractive to you, and impress others (maybe)
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM

I keep hearing whining about the top speed of the Maxima. Who needs to go over 132MPH?

Did ya'll ever think that maybe the CVT has a limited gear range and that could possibly limit the top speed? The car is probably nearing redline in "top" gear with the CVT.

The magazines only know "drag limited" and "electronic limited" or "speed limited". I doubt the Max is running out of power at 132MPH, I think the gearing of the CVT is maxed out.

Anyways, I have yet to take mine over 110.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM

The Genesis is a LOT of car for the price. Hyundai's biggest problem is overcoming the blot on their name resulting from the Excel, which during the late '80s and early '90s turned many buyers off to the Hyundai name for life.

As far as the G8 goes, other than performance nuts, I don't see more than 5% of the public cross-shopping the rough-looking, loud-exhausted V8 gas guzzling muscle car G8 with the smooth, comfortable sports-luxury V6 '09 Maxima family sedan.

If Nissan does (as I suspect they will) come out with an 'RS' version of the Maxima in 2010 with manual tranny, 3.7 engine and say 330 HP, then there MIGHT be SOME justification for comparing that particular car with the G8.

But no matter how good this new Pontiac may be, it will be a long time before the word 'Pontiac' will again have a positive ring in the ears and eyes of the general public.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Wow you have had alot of maxima's just to be 22/23 yrs old!
I know but fell in love with the car at 5. I always said i would own one and i did. the first was my dads when i was 5 yrs old. My first was my uncles 2000, then i bought one of my own instead of a hand me down, the 03. Then the 6th gen came out and i was screwed, I waited for a couple years then got a job at dealership. got the 6th gen for 1000 over what they took it in for. 13500 to be exact. couldnt pass it up. now I am more advanced in my career and was looking foward to the new maximas. I have been dissapointed as far as track numbers go. still 0-60 in 6.2/6.5 sec is still fast. but there are quicker cars out there for the money. I was actually looking into trading my 6th gen in for a Altima SE-R and waiting till the SR trim or the deisel trim is released in 2010. I might even just get a G35, adn keep the SE-R for my wife. I loved the maxima because it was always ahead of anything in it class. now its pretty much just another option. i bought the 03 because at its time there was nothing quicker to 60 for under 25k.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Nissan needs to bring back the manual trans in the Maxima, just like you want to know your car has a top speed of 155mph, you want to know your car could have had a 6speed, who cares it sells in low numbers, their is always a reason someone buys certain car, and most of the time people buy with the intent of knowing I could have got that even knowing they probably never would have.

Looking at Nissan they really need to generate some excitement, the competition is really starting to thin out certain cars that used to own certain segments, the Maxima does not have to worry about the Genesis but at the same time I'm sure sales will be lost to Hyundai, Nissan is playing it safe, Hyundai is taking risks.

The 7th Gen Maxima looks fine but a SR version with a 6speed and the 3.7LVQ pushing 310-330hp and an optional 7speed will really make people notice, they should have even made it AWD, but this is just the SR model, I read and hear people complaining about how they will not spend more then 30k for a car, I don't know what year they think it is, but Camrys and Altimas are 30k+ Corollas are hitting 20k when they use to be just over 10k, it's not like no one saw this coming, the main problem is to many people get settled and think nothing will change, your income in 2008 will not buy you the same comforts in 5-10 years.

The Maxima only downfall is similar to what the Movie Studios do to over hype a movie release, your anticipating so much that when they actually show you the finished product it's never good enough.

The 09 Maxima looks great and I'll test drive it but I'll be test driving a lot of other cars, and the G8 comparison, fine it's a nice 4 door muscle car but when I take a girl out I like when they make comments about how nice my car is, the G8 interior looks cold and uninviting.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:27 PM

let's not forget heavier G8 actually stops better than maxima,
and
its built in australia, so its not your uncle's detroit built pontiac, quality should be on par with WV's.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
let's not forget heavier G8 actually stops better than maxima,
and
its built in australia, so its not your uncle's detroit built pontiac, quality should be on par with WV's.
The G8 looks like a great car, several mags said they loved the power and the shifting on the 6 speed auto, it would be cool to see GM add a luxury equipped G8 to the line up with Nav, HID, Sat radio
Old 06-02-2008, 01:06 AM

The G8 and Maxima are not in the same class.

The G8 is a rough-looking, RWD, loud muscle car with a depressingly austere interior and a propensity to need to stop at every gas station, especially the 6 litre V8 version. It will be the perfect car for those who are looking primarily for great elapsed time and stopping ability in a rear wheel drive, manual tranny vehicle.

By contrast, the Maxima is a smooth and stylish (though some may not like it) refined, CVT driven sports-luxury FWD family sedan that gets good MPG and does quite well in virtually every way cars are measured.

It may be that the 'down under' G8 will be fairly reliable, but we won't really know that for sure for some time. All other Pontiacs except the Vibe have been unreliable, some abysmally so.

Although there will probably be those here on the ORG who might compare-shop these cars, very few in the general public will be doing that. Just too many major differences in these two cars, and that does not even address the wide brand-name image disparity.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 AM

Autoweek review

"Sporting ambitions
New Maxima is more sedan than sports car
By ROGER HART
SPECS
ON SALE: June
BASE PRICE: $29,000 (est)
DRIVETRAIN: 3.5-liter, 290-hp, 261-lb-ft V6; fwd, CVT
CURB WEIGHT: 3556 lb
0-60 MPH: 5.9 sec (est)
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA/AW): 22/20.1 mpg

Car companies are very good at telling people what they want their cars to be. Call it advertising or marketing; it's mostly hyperbole. Case in point: Nissan is touting its flagship 2009 Nissan Maxima as the return of the "four-door sports car." Even though almost everything about the new car trumps the previous edition--from exterior styling to the radio preset buttons--the Maxima is not a sports car.

As the company that builds the GT-R and the 350Z, Nissan clearly knows sports cars. Wearing a fresh design highlighted by an hourglass shape, with a rounded hood bracketed by sharply creased fenders, the '09 Maxima feels more performance-oriented just sitting still.

At the heart of our disappointment is Nissan's decision to offer the Maxima solely with its three-mode Xtronic continuously variable transmission. The CVT helps the Maxima obtain 22 mpg, but it does not give the car a sporting feel--even when "shifting" manually through the six preprogrammed steps.

Some will argue that this is the best CVT yet to reach production--faint praise, considering what's gone before--and opting for the manual shift does eliminate the high-pitched whine that CVT-equipped cars are known for.

And there's a lot that's screaming, as power has increased over the previous-generation car, with the 3.5-liter V6--the only engine choice--now pumping out 290 hp and 261 lb-ft of torque, 35 hp and 9 lb-ft more than the '08 Maxima. Despite the company's best efforts, torque steer is still an issue when trying to push 290 hp through the front wheels.

On a positive note, the design work inside and out is strong, making the car seem much more substantial than the last Maxima and giving it a more dominating presence. The wheelbase shrinks 1.9 inches from the outgoing Maxima, to 109.3, while width grows 1.5 inches, to 73.2. The new look further differentiates it from the lesser Altima, which is a good thing.

The Maxima is a mainstay in the Nissan lineup, with more than 1.7 million cars sold during the last 15 years. But the last-gen car missed the target, according to Nissan's product guru Larry Dominique.

"The current-generation Maxima just didn't resonate with me like the previous generations," Dominique said.

Initially, the Maxima's redesign team focused on merely updating the car. But midway through the program, Nissan's product team took a self-described mulligan and rethought the direction. It then set off to Germany's Nürburgring circuit--where the GT-R has done countless laps--to focus on boosting the car's performance and handling.

The new car rides on Nissan's D platform, shared with the Altima sedan and the Murano wagon. The platform was updated with the use of aluminum suspension links (multilink rear), a new shock-absorber design and lower engine mounting points. Changes to the underpinnings make for a 15 percent increase in body rigidity. The ride is solid without being harsh. The standard wheels are 18-inch aluminum alloy; 19s are available with the sport package.

The interior center stack, topped with a seven-inch monitor for the optional nav system, has an efficient, clean design with intuitive controls. Three round, chrome-trimmed gauges highlight the instrument panel in front of the three-spoke steering wheel.

The Maxima will be offered in two models, 3.5 S and 3.5 SV, and in an attempt to simplify the ordering process, Nissan has packaged a variety of options into specific packages: Premium, Tech and Sport. Features in those packages include 9.3-gigabyte Music Box Hard Drive, XM NavTraffic, rearview monitor and dual-panel moonroof.

Nissan will release pricing closer to the car's June 26 on-sale date, but we expect base prices to start near the '08 model's.

And what about those radio buttons?

For years, Nissan foisted its A-B-C preset system on its buyers, and if there's a worse system for choosing presets, we have yet to see it. The old A-B-C allowed any station, on any band, to be plugged into any one of the three preset lines, meaning that A1 might be an AM station and A2 might be FM. The effect was maddening, leading one to give up on presets and just tune manually for each band.

Now Nissan has finally rejoined the rest of the world in using the simpler, sane system for presets. Hallelujah!

This article was last updated on: 06/02/08, 10:47 et "

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...5771/1532/FREE
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
SmokinMaxSE

The Maxima seems to be a set standard that GM and Motor Trend has to test the new V8 against. Two different cars. If I had to purchase one car over the other it would be the 09 Maxima. That honey comb grill on the G8 is no better than the "tooth" on the 6th gen. Lets not forget what happen to the Bonneville. People just want the best of both worlds meaning luxury features and the most power in its class. Well the G8 gives the power wrapped in hard plastic with low standard features. The Maxima gives you high quality luxury features with an award winning engine that has a wide range of power ratings. GM gave up on the award winning 3.8L because they don't know how to advance a V6 like Nissan is doing with its 3.5L. Maxima holds a better resale value. GM always has some kinda of cash back and/or sale with Pontiac. It's not like the Maxima engine isn't capable but the most power is reserved for the Infinity line. Lets not forget that Nissan didn't offer a 6speed this time. Motor trend is testing with a CVT transmission.

Last edited by SmokinMaxSE; 06-02-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
SuPeRmOd

June 26 seems so far away...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:43 PM

NismoMax80 - Yes, Thursday June 26 is 3 weeks and 3 days away. BUT, if that is the official 'on-sale' date, I would bet that a few '09 Maximas will be arriving at dealer lots - especially the big dealers - several days, if not a week or more ahead of the 26th.

Of course the dealer can't sell them until the 26th, so he may let the first arrivals sit on the closed back lot until around the 26th. But I have been known to sneak into my dealers back lot. In fact, I have been back there almost daily for months during the release of each new Maxima generation. I will probably be sneaking back there very frequently from around June 16th until I purchase my '09, which will probably be this fall.

Maxger - Thanks for that Autoweek review. The reviewer was a tad harsh on the Maxima handling. It may not be a true sports car, but it surely handles a ton better than many cars I have driven/ridden in. Those reviewers who love the manual tranny will never have much good to say about the CVT, but, realizing that is the tranny of the future, and the tranny that will gradually become more efficient than any tranny that shifts, I just sigh (I know the manual tranny is more fun) and sort of ignore the comments in that area.

SmokinMaxSE - You covered just about everything in a nutshell. Nicely put.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 AM

Here is a video discription of the 09 max by Mark Perry, Nissan North America's director of product planning. For your info. If this is a repost please delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tS_tTRS34&feature=user
Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

How much can you trust a review by someone who can't organize his radio presets.... geez.

Not a huge deal, but if Nissan converted to a more conventional preset arrangement (2x6 FM, 1x6 AM) instead of three banks of "free" band selection, this is a minor disapointment. I only listen ever to one AM station - dedicating six presets for AM is such a waste.

Last edited by jcalabria; 06-03-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by maxger
Here is a video discription of the 09 max by Mark Perry, Nissan North America's director of product planning. For your info. If this is a repost please delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tS_tTRS34&feature=user
good find!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM

So, from the video, we are told why Nissan did away with the rear trunk model letter designations (such as '3.5SE'). I personally would have considered placing a discreet 'S' or 'Sv' or 'SS' or 'SP' on the rear (would tell exactly which Maxima this was), but am also happy with nothing back there.

We are also told that Nissan expects the 'mix' to be 55% as base 'S' and well-equipped 'Sv' versions, with 45% also adding either the 'sports' or 'premium' package.

We are also told that few of the 'sports' versions will have the new double roof, as it adds weight with a high center of gravity, which takes away from the 'sportiness' of the car.

Overall, an interesting 'walkaround', even if the semis in the background did intrude on the audio at times.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:55 AM

omg, FAIL... A sports sedan looks like an avalon for god sakes... wtf is nissan thinking, these cars are getting bigger and bigger, and where is the manual tranny?
I would rather stick with an older g35 sedan...
Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by 19max95
omg, FAIL... A sports sedan looks like an avalon for god sakes... wtf is nissan thinking, these cars are getting bigger and bigger, and where is the manual tranny?
I just don't see it..

Avalon

Maxima

And for the record, the 2009 Maxima has shrunk in size.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Avalon and the new Maxima - two excellent vehicles.

If cars have 'faces', the Avalon appears to be grinning, while the new Maxima is snarling.
The Avalon has a sedate 'slabside', while the new Maxima's widened, sculpted fenders give it a 'coke bottle' athletic hint.
The passive lower part of the Avalon grille speaks softly of '1980', while the stark lower part of the grille of the new Maxima shouts '2009.'
I would be honored to take my grandmother for a ride in an Avalon, or my sweetie for a ride in the new Maxima.

If we were to go beyond looks, I think Consumer Reports' statement that the Avalon was 'far from sporty' sums things up nicely.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
I just don't see it..

Avalon

Maxima

And for the record, the 2009 Maxima has shrunk in size.
Yep - not even remotely close.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 PM

I like it...my lease expires in Jan'10 which means they should have the fist year "kinks" resolved by the time I'm ready. I keep trying to move away from the Max (I'm on number six--right there with Light, I've been in Maximas since '87), but never can. The last two times, I've looked at the G35, but liked the feel of the Max better. More room.
Perhaps the G35 is a better car, but I've never had an issue with any of my Maximas. It's the one for me. And if I really feel the need for speed, I just borrow my wife's 350Z!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM

LEFTLANENEWS
Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima
June4

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-maxima-review.html

With its seventh generation upon us, Nissan has returned to the moniker of "Four Door Sports Car" as the motto for its flagship sedan. Like many of us, the Maxima has encountered middle-age spread, and honestly it looks pretty good. Billed as a vehicle possessing of a certain "duality" it features sporty styling as well as the practicality of a four-place people mover.

What is it?

A sedan that Nissan originally billed as one with sporty pretensions, the firm freely admits that most of the competition has caught up to it. In its latest form, Nissan has wisely chosen to mimic styling cues from the corporate “halo” car, the GT-R. That’s a great thing, for they could have chosen cues from the D-segment Versa.

What’s It Up Against?

The competitors for the Maxima include the Acura TL, Chevrolet Malibu, Toyota Camry, Lexus ES350, Lincoln MKZ, and so on. It is benchmarked against the BMW 5-series. It uses the D-platform, the same one that supplants the Altima, Altima Coupe and Murano.

Any Big Breakthroughs?

A new standard next-generation 3-mode Xtronic continuously-variable transmission (CVT) for one, which allows the driver to use either paddle shifters or a gated stick shift to “shift” the gears through six programmed steps on the new Maxima.

A double-orifice hydraulic steering system offers adaptability for slow as well as high speed maneuvers.

Instead of following the 350Z and G37 coupes into rear-wheel-drive, Nissan chose to remain with the D-platform which they claim offers improved body stiffness and noise isolation for the interior. The quiet inside was a welcomed relief to the cacophony of sounds that would creep into interiors of lesser vehicles.

How Does It Look?

Like a high-end sedan that has grown up. From the sculpted look of the hood, to the creased fenders that cover the now wider (by 1.5-inches) track, to the LED taillights, the new Maxima shows a mature, refined look that the model it replaces just couldn’t come to grips with. Squint a little bit and you can see hints of design DNA from the new corporate “halo-car,” the GT-R. From the shape of the headlights, to the addition of the spoiler on the rear on the Sport model, the new Maxima does show an aggressive, powerful stance that was clearly missing on the previous model.

Chrome trim helps to frame the windows and add perceived value to the overall package. The same can be said about the chrome accent door handles.

And Inside?

As much as the Maxima touts its return as the 4-Door Sports Car, we can’t help but think that it has gone more upscale in its approach. It’s not a bad thing; it’s just the way it is. A cockpit-like cocoon where most of the action happens, greets the driver. A tilt and telescoping steering wheel and available paddle shifters lifted directly from the 350Z look strangely at home here. So, too, the stitched leather interior with a premium-level air-conditioned driver’s seat and available manual thigh extension. Rear seat room for three comes with either a 60-40 split fold down with trunk access or a fixed version with a trunk pass through for longer items.

By now, the familiar Nissan center stack anchors the cockpit, dividing the car into the business and pleasure sides of the vehicle. The driver’s position offers a clear view of the gauge cluster, which contains a speedometer in the center position, flanked by a tachometer on the left, and fuel and temperature gauges on the right. To the lower left, are secondary controls including a vehicle stability control on/off switch, mirror controls, and a slot for the smart key to sit while driving. It’s an awkward position for them but probably necessary seeing that real estate for controls is at a premium in the Maxima.

Moving center, the navigation system is a new version of a style previously seen in other Nissans and Infinitis. The shift lever is now offset towards the driver and offers the ability for manual-style gear change programming from the CVT transmission. There is a choice of two optional roof openings: a standard moonroof, or the dual-panel moonroof available with the premium equipment package. An optional Nissan Hard Drive Navigation system and XM NavTraffic with real-time info round out the bill.

But Does It Go?

It does pull! Equipped with Nissan’s ubiquitous 3.5-liter V6 which pounds out 290-horsepower and 261 lb-ft of torque, the Maxima should have no problem showing its stuff, but something does bother us: To achieve the full 290 hp requires the use of premium fuel. Using 87-octane regular fuel will result in a horsepower loss, according to Nissan, of between 15-20 percent, which equates with a power deficit of 43.5 to 58 horses. With today’s gas prices where they are, we wonder if this would have been an issue if the engine were mapped for running 87-octane instead. But the good news is that the engine offers 19 mpg city / and 26 mpg highway for a combined average of 22.5 mpg. The Maxima is equipped with a 20-gallon fuel tank.

Regardless, pulling the trigger results in a launch with a minimal amount of torque-steer, which is important in the high-power front-drive segment. The revised Xtronic S-CVT with over 700 new shift algorithms now features a new Ds (Drive Sport) mode, which we could immediately feel under foot. Nissan claims a quick gear-ratio change in the “downshifts” of the CVT coming into a turn, followed by an auto gear hold, on exit. We would have to agree: power just kept winding up as we accelerated through a turn.

The new Maxima’s suspension has been thoroughly sorted as well. A strut-coil spring suspension rules in the front of the new flagship, while a rear multi-link with stabilizer bar holds sway out back. (pun intended). Steering is now controlled by a “Twin-Orifice Power Steering System (TOPS), which sounds painful, and is similar to equipment found in the 350Z. We found it tracked well and transmitted a good amount of road feel. Not overly harsh, nor marshmallow soft, it offered great road handling through a variety of routes ranging from bumpy backwoods country lanes to major expressways in the Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, area.

Our test car was equipped with optional Goodyear Eagle all-weather 19-inch tires on split five spoke aluminum alloy wheels. Ten-spoke 18-inch aluminum wheels are standard.

Why You Would Buy It?

If you enjoy a sedan with sporty pretensions, that by and large can back them up, then the 2009 Nissan Maxima might be the ride for you. It’s not a four-door Skyline by any stretch, but it is satisfying in its own right.

Why you wouldn’t

If the return of the 4-Door Sports Car (4DSC) makes you think you’ll have a real Nurburgring-tuned ‘bahn-burner on your hands, capable of vanquishing M5s at the street corner drags, the Maxima might not be for you. If rear-wheel-drive is a requisite to anything any "sports car," scratch the Maxima off your list.

Also, the styling is a controversial point — you'll either like it or hate it.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
SmokinMaxSE

If you want to "Drift" then go buy a 350z. A Manual 6speed would be nice.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM

OMG I agree 100% FTLROFLWTF?

The new Max looks like a, a, a, a car! WTF, it has 4 doors, a trunk, 2 headlights and 4 wheels? SUKZRS!!! Just like every other car out there.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 AM

maxger - Thanks for posting the Leftlane review of the '09. They liked a lot of things about this new Maxima.

I didn't agree exactly with the list of vehicles they gave as 'competitors' of the Maxima. But after thinking about this, I have come to the conclusion the Maxima has very few absolutely direct competitors (maybe TL and a few others), so it may be that vehicles that 'sort of' compete against the Maxima can justifiably be listed.

One interesting point for me was the fact Nissan has changed the engine-fuel setup. In the 6th gen, premium was recommended for maximum performance, but the Owner's Manual made it clear the computerized fuel system would also adjust for 87 octane, with very slight loss of performance. My 6th gen runs like a scalded dog on 87.

By comparison, the '09 Maxima is strictly designed and tuned for premium fuel. Although one can still use 87 octane in the '09, and get the same MPG, the performance will be clearly affected by several dozen HP. That is significant. Unless the Owner's Manual contradicts what the Leftlane review says, I may stick to premium once I get my '09.

It may take me a day or two to get used to the parking brake being foot-operated again. Of course my wife's trucks, as well as my neighbor's CTS (and many other upscale vehicles) have foot-operated parking brakes, so the adjustment should be quick.

This review says a full-bore start produced minimal torque steer. I am glad Nissan finally seems to have conquered what was once considered a notable problem with the Maxima.

Leftlane feels the interior may be too 'upscale' for a 4DSC, but likes it anyway.

This reviewer liked the improved chassi, saying it gave just the right feel and ride.

I sort of agree with this review that lots of folks will love this new styling, and lots of folks will hate it. Unusual new styling cues are often that way. Count me among those who love it.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 AM

The Leftlane review states "It is benchmarked against the BMW 5-series." I'm curious in what way? The BMW 5 series starts in mid $40k range for price. I can see some similarities in body styling. If Nissan is trying to give you the looks, quality, and features for $15k less then that's good news and will make the new Maxima a great buy.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Z

Benchmarking doesn't mean it was set out to be a better car than the 5-series, just that Nissan made the Maxima with the 5-series as inspiration.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 PM

The new maxima has made me come back over to the nissan side. Great looking car!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Very sound, Mike

Cars.com First Drive

Cars.com / KickingTires: First Drive
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-first-dr.html

Nissan invited journalists this week to amble through North Carolina in the 2009 Maxima, a car we raved about at last winter’s New York auto show, before driving it. The sedan hits dealerships later this month, and though pricing is still under wraps, Nissan said it will likely run from about $28,000 to $34,000. Time to see if the Maxima has some bite to back up our bark.

The short answer: Yes and no, but mostly yes.

My five hours in a Maxima 3.5 SV didn’t evoke the sort of sports-car appeal Nissan had promised, but at day’s end I took out a car with the optional Sport package, and it comes a lot closer to hitting that mark. Either way, the Maxima seems most like a straight-up luxury car with a non-luxury badge. It blurs the lines between Nissan and Infiniti quality, so don’t let the badge fool you — if you’re thinking of a Lexus ES or Acura TL, the Maxima is worth a close look as well.

Behind the snoutish grille sits a 290-hp version of the same V-6 that moves everything from the Altima to the Infiniti G35. Though it represents a 35-hp gain over the outgoing Maxima, it doesn’t feel much quicker. Not that either car was slow, but you don’t get the fierce get-up-and-go in the Maxima that you do in the smaller G35, but that’s an actual sport sedan.

Like it or not, performance is inextricably linked to the Maxima’s continuously variable automatic transmission. Nissan is bullish on all things CVT, and the Maxima’s is generally par excellence: Give the gas a prod, and it leaps from a fuel-sipping 1,800 rpm to punchier areas in the 3,500 rpm range with instinctive immediacy. It’s also free of any low-speed hiccups that plague certain conventional automatics, as well as the outgoing Maxima’s CVT. But it still has that rubber-band-like uncertainty as you’re accelerating hard that many CVTs exhibit — a reason, my journalist co-driver and I concluded, that they have made limited inroads among luxury cars.

Nissan has attempted to address said rubber-bandedness with Drive-Sport mode, which simulates any number of fixed ratios among the infinite possibilities. It’s supposed to allow you to nail the gas out of a corner with the natural, progressive buildup a normal automatic might provide. It does a better job of it than when you leave the gearshift in Drive, but it really doesn’t match the magic of a well-groomed automatic — there’s still some fudging as it tries to optimize acceleration.

Now for the good: With the Sport package, the Maxima is a wee bit of fun. Body roll is limited, steering is precise and the brakes are sure-footed. Non-Sport models are one for three — the brakes are just as good — but in return their softer suspensions yield the sort of ride comfort that would satisfy a Lexus fan.

The cabin should, too. Materials beat the stuff in a Toyota Avalon and quite possibly an ES 350 or Buick Lucerne, with soft-touch plastics lining the dash and Infiniti-spec controls down the center. Options range from a heated steering wheel with powered tilt/telescoping adjustments to three-zone climate control. The selection is as good as any luxury brand might offer, and fit and finish are generally beyond reproach.

The Maxima’s 26-mpg highway rating falls short of the Avalon’s 28 mpg, and it requires premium fuel — no doubt factors that will give non-luxury shoppers pause. But for those shopping luxury marques, driving dynamics and cabin quality should outweigh those issues, and Nissan scores points here. I’ll save my final word until I get some more time in the Altima that’s in Cars.com’s garage this week — a reigning criticism is the Maxima is too much like the Altima, which I haven’t driven in a year — so stay tuned for the full review. For now, the early verdict is that among $35,000 upscale cars, cabin quality and handling dynamics could make the new Maxima an unexpected bargain hit.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Cars.com / KickingTires: First Drive
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-first-dr.html

"their softer suspensions yield the sort of ride comfort that would satisfy a Lexus fan."

"The cabin should, too. Materials beat the stuff in a Toyota Avalon and quite possibly an ES 350 or Buick Lucerne,"

"For now, the early verdict is that among $35,000 upscale cars, cabin quality and handling dynamics could make the new Maxima an unexpected bargain hit."
That is a pretty good review, and the above 3 quotes stood out. A ride and comfort that would satisfy a Lexus fan, and materials that beat the Avalon and possibly the Lexus ES 350. That's some pretty good company to compare the Maxima to. Lexus drivers are picky and they like the smooth and quiet comfort that the Lexus offers. You probably will not see Lexus drivers switch to the Maxima.

I suspect that among the hardcore Maxima fans on this site kind of cringe at the thought that the Maxima is now compared to cars like the Buick Liucerne, Lexus, and Avalon, because the car seems to take a different focus from past models.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 PM

gopack504 - Yep; Lexus and Avalon comfort in a very aggressive-looking package, and at a lower cost. . . . That is unless one opts for the Sports package, which the review made very clear was much more oriented toward a four door sports sedan.

So, in effect, the buyer still has a choice as to whether he wants a firm, taut, precise Maxima or a more comfortable cruise into middle age. Some folks hate the styling, but more folks love it. And those that love it can get it in in 'comfort' mode or 'sport' mode. I think this car is going to sell.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Most places the difference in cost from 87 to 92 octane is anywhere between $0.20-$0.30. It's been this way since I can remember (mid 90's) and it still is. Here we gave $4.15 for 87 and $4.35 for 92.

If you fill up every 16 gallons, that'll set you back between $3.20 to $4.80 a tank. Since a fill up is about >$60 these days, it's only a 5-8% premium in cost to fill up. Heck, when gas was $1 for 87 and $1.20 for 92, the same 16 gal fill up on premium would be an additional 20% in cost for 92. So...

What I am trying to say is, if you just paid $35k+ for the new Max, you're gonna spring the extra coin for premium gas. It's not a deal breaker. You probably shouldn't be considering the Max if an extra 5-8% for premium is gonna bother you.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:30 AM

made in china - I essentially agree with you, except that around where I live, the difference between 87 and 93 octane was a 49 cents a gallon two weeks ago, and that is over $8 difference per 17 gallon refill. The difference is still 44 cents, which is $7.50 per 17 gallon refill.

With my 6th gen, I have been running with 87 octane since last fall, and have noticed absolutely no difference in performance. And we know octane has no connection to MPG, so I get the same mileage.

But it seems the compression ratio has been bumped slightly for the '09, and Nissan's wording about using premium gas in the '09 seems to be more strident than the 'recommended' it used with the 6th gen. I will be using premium in my '09 until I see something from Nissan that tells me 87 will work OK. If the latest blurb hinting that the '09 will lose significant HP with 87 is indeed true, then spirited drivers should not even consider anything but premium, no matter the price.

Like the car mags and Consumer Reports, I feel the requirement for premium gas in these days of ballistic gasoline prices simply gives those trying to decide between the Maxima and another vehicle another little reason to lean elsewhere.

Caveat: with the doubling of energy requirements every year in China and India, I expect gasoline to pass $10 a gallon within the next five years (already there in parts of the world), and I don't see it ever coming back down to any great extent. I have to really love the Maxima to be buying such a vehicle at a time I should be looking only at 40 MPG and up cars.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 AM

The review from Cars.com is very heartening. Kudos to Nissan for upgrading the quality of the Maxima interior materials. This was essential for the Maxima to be the flagship vehicle.

Many of the car mags are estimating the starting price of the Maxima to be around $28k i.e. around the same price where the 08 Maxima started. From Nissan's press releases, it seems to me they have done extensive research to build this Maxima, for e.g. testing it out at Nürburgring in Germany, on top using high quality materials. How is the cost of that research and upgrade going to be recovered if Nissan sells it at the same price as the outgoing Maxima? Unlike the Altima, Maxima is not going to be bought by every other household, so there is no way for Nissan to recover the costs by volume sales.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 AM

TIREKICKINGTODAY ??

Preview Drive: 2009 Nissan Maxima
Redesigned "flagship" sedan gets distinctive appearance, additional power, sport-oriented CVT option
by James M. Flammang

2009 Nissan Maxima

CARY, North Carolina - Ever since 1981, Maxima has served as Nissan's "flagship" model. As far back as 1989, Nissan began to refer to the Maxima as its "four-door sports car," promoting the sedan's handling qualities.

Nissan admits that the "sports car" element faded away somewhat during the last iteration of the Maxima, dating from 2005. As Mark Perry of Nissan's product planning group puts it, Maxima "lost a step" in the last generation. Now, newly redesigned for its seventh generation, the company is again touting the latest version for its sports car-like talents.

Adding power as part of a redesign is almost a certainty these days, and Nissan is no exception with its top sedan. In its latest form, the 3.5-liter V-6 engine has gained 35 horsepower, now rated 290 hp at 6400 rpm. Torque output has grown by 9 pound-feet, to 261 (at 4400 rpm). For highway driving, the fuel economy estimate has increased by 1 mpg, now rated at 19-mpg city/26-mpg highway. Premium-grade gasoline is required.

Nissan's Xtronic three-mode continuously variable transmission is the only one offered. In this installation, the CVT gains the option of a new Ds mode that alters the shift pattern of the virtual "gears." (No actual gears are present inside a CVT.) More than 700 separate "shift" algorithms are available, despite the lack of real gears. It's all done electronically, providing what Perry calls the "right gear, right time, all the time." In Ds mode, the system can "blip" the throttle a bit while the car is making its way through a curve. Paddle shifters are included with the Sport package.

Though automakers invariably insist that the newest styling makes their model more distinctive than the competition, that's not always quite true. Sometimes, the modifications don't make all that much difference in overall appeal. In the case of the 2009 Maxima, however, Nissan has developed a sedan that actually does look markedly different from its predecessor, and from the full pack of rival full-size sedans. Nissan calls the design theme "Liquid Motion," and it's not entirely a mere promotional phrase.

Separating Maxima from the less-costly but similar-size Altima was one of the development goals. In recent years, the two cars may have looked somewhat different, but dimensions weren't far apart and powertrains were similar, too. Actually, the 2009 Maxima is built on the same "D" platform used for the Altima and the Murano crossover wagon. BMW's 5-Series sedan served as one of the benchmarks for Maxima development, Perry said.

This time around, the Maxima's wheelbase has lost 1.9 inches, and overall length has shrunk comparably. On the other hand, the 2009 Maxima is 1.4 inches wider than its predecessor. Wraparound L-shaped headlamps flank a catamaran-styled hood and a low, wide grille. Deeply sculpted coupe-style rear fenders are installed, ahead of a high trunk lid. A Dual Panel moonroof is available, but a single-panel unit is standard. Also optional is a rear spoiler. Standard wheels are 18-inch size, but 19-inchers may be installed.

Quietness is ordinarily a virtue in family-carrying sedans, but the sporty nature of the Maxima demands a bit of sound. "For enthusiast drivers," Perry explained,"you want to give some feedback." Engineers actually had to add a "sound generator" to produce noticeable tones while accelerating. Those specially-created sounds actually emanate from the engine's intake manifold, not the exhaust system.

Nissan borrowed a smaller-diameter steering wheel from the 350Z sport car, to tuck into the Maxima. An air-conditioned driver's seat is optional. So is Nissan's Hard Drive navigation system, with voice recognition, XM NavTraffic, and real-time traffic information.

Maxima behaves well on twisty roads ... Sport suspension adds slight extra sense of confidence
On the extra-smooth roads of North Carolina, at least, the Maxima yields a lovely ride, coupled with a high-level sense of security. Still, there's an occasional touch of uncertainty in terms of road grip. That slight gap in confidence is filled nicely by the available Sport suspension, which tightens handling just enough to make a discernible difference. Many drivers will be wholly satisfied with the regular setup, but others will appreciate that extra touch of tenacity, which stiffens the ride only slightly - though the difference is detectable. Regardless of suspension, when the Maxima hits a bump, reactions are near-instant and appropriate, with no extra jouncing at all.

Almost invariably, the Maxima feels capable ot being pushed a little (or a lot) harder than you've tried. Through winding two-lane roads, the Maxima delivered good grip and careful control. It really does approach sports-car level - but, as expected, falls a bit short of that status. For a four-door sedan, however, steering/handling is largely satisfying.

Acceleration from a standstill qualifies as stirring, and occupants feel the virtual "gear" changes lightly. Response at passing speeds is no less energetic, with less evidence of those "gears." Throughout, Nissan's CVT performs with impressive smoothness.

When equipped with paddle shifters, manual "gear" changes may be engaged by simply pulling on one of the paddles.

Though partly simulated, the engine snarl that occurs during acceleration is tolerable, yet troubling. Despite protestations that enthusiasts crave such sounds, it just seems a little out of character for a company's flagship. The tonal quality derived from the engine's "sound generator" won't appeal to everyone.

Nissan claims that torque steer (the tendency to pull to one side while accelerating relatively hard) is almost nonexistent. In ordinary driving, it's not discernible at all.

Seats deliver outstanding comfort and support: snug but pleasing, with helpful side bolstering. Ample side glass promises very good views all around. The driver sees a hump on the hood, near the windshield, but the front end is difficult to spot without stretching forward.

Superior gauges are large and illuminated, centered on a huge, easily-read speedometer and a large tachometer alongside. Both instruments are fully calibrated. A large hood sits above the gauges, and everything is easy to see - including the odometer/trip readings.

Front head and leg room are good. So is elbow space. Full-length seat bottoms include thigh extenders, which are most welcome on longer drives. Though deep, the glovebox isn't as wide as its door.

Summing up, the 2009 Maxima is a civilized and satisfying road car. Then again, so is the Altima, which costs less. Even the aesthetically challenged, though, may be attracted to the Maxima's new, distinctive contours.

Sales began at the end of June. Pricing has not yet been established.

Attention Editors: This complete 2009 Nissan Maxima review is available now for your publication. Please contact us at JF@tirekick.com for details.

http://www.tirekick.com/TK07/09NissanMaxima.htm
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
made in china - I essentially agree with you, except that around where I live, the difference between 87 and 93 octane was a 49 cents a gallon two weeks ago, and that is over $8 difference per 17 gallon refill. The difference is still 44 cents, which is $7.50 per 17 gallon refill.

With my 6th gen, I have been running with 87 octane since last fall, and have noticed absolutely no difference in performance. And we know octane has no connection to MPG, so I get the same mileage.

But it seems the compression ratio has been bumped slightly for the '09, and Nissan's wording about using premium gas in the '09 seems to be more strident than the 'recommended' it used with the 6th gen. I will be using premium in my '09 until I see something from Nissan that tells me 87 will work OK. If the latest blurb hinting that the '09 will lose significant HP with 87 is indeed true, then spirited drivers should not even consider anything but premium, no matter the price.

Like the car mags and Consumer Reports, I feel the requirement for premium gas in these days of ballistic gasoline prices simply gives those trying to decide between the Maxima and another vehicle another little reason to lean elsewhere.

Caveat: with the doubling of energy requirements every year in China and India, I expect gasoline to pass $10 a gallon within the next five years (already there in parts of the world), and I don't see it ever coming back down to any great extent. I have to really love the Maxima to be buying such a vehicle at a time I should be looking only at 40 MPG and up cars.
The inconsistency with fuel pricing sucks. I have seen a very few places that seem to think each grade increase should be a % increase in price, so when the 87 goes up, the 89 and 92's price split goes up also. You KNOW the manufacturing of the higher grades of fuel did not get more expensive, just the core component, crude. Fortunately most stations around here abide by the $0.10 per grade since I can remember. These guys are crooks anyway.

We'll be up to $5 a gallon very soon. And the funny things about Americans, if it slides back to $4.95 a gallon everyone will start buying SUVs again! We have such a short term memory in this country. Gas prices have blown past incomes since the 90's and we just keep trying to deal.

I think Nissan used the same ol' V6 (basically) from the gen 6 and tuned it very high for Premium, that's why it falls back to basically Gen 6 numbers when you put less than premium in it.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 AM

AUTO123.com

http://www.auto123.com/en/nissan/max...tid=98145&pg=1

Raleigh, North Carolina - After only a four-year run, Nissan has chosen to replace the current-generation Maxima with a completely new version that seems to elevate the car into a whole new stratum within the mid-size sedan segment.

Even though the new Maxima looks larger and more substantial in mass, it is slightly shorter than before.

Liquid Motion design theme
Nissan refers to the fluidity of the new Maxima's exterior styling as Liquid Motion. The flowing lines and billowing, softly-sculpted body panels attest to this theme while skewing one's perception into believing that the car is larger and more substantial in mass than the one it replaces. In fact, the wheelbase and overall length of the new platform is slightly shorter than before but that reduction is more than made-up for in extra width, increased body rigidity and a tighter turning radius.

I was particularly fond of the unique, angular styling of the 2004-2008 Maxima. The 2009 iteration of this sporty front-wheel-drive mid-size is quite a departure stylistically. It took a tremendous amount of cooperation between the designers and engineers to succeed in creating a four-door sedan that shows off a svelte waistline, which is the slimmer middle portion of the car, giving it its pronounced fenders and hourglass shape.

The cabin has been completely redone as well. This isn't just a re-wrapping of a once-given present but a complete from-the-doorsills-up reconstruction. Nissan revisionists expended plenty of energy in creating a visually stunning yet highly functional layout that places all controls and instruments easily within the driver's reach.

Perhaps most worthy of praise in the new cockpit are its seats; the four primary perches provide outstanding comfort and support. À la German machinery, Nissan has built a pullout thigh bolster (support) into the driver's seat. I question why this simple yet marvelously supportive mechanism has not been more widely adopted. As the owner of two long thighbones, I find this provision heaven-sent when enduring long stints behind the wheel.

Same great engine generates higher heat
Nissan's award-winning VQ-series 3.5-litre DOHC 24-valve V6 engine has been reworked to increase its output to 290 horsepower and 261 foot-pounds of torque. The increase in temperature comes from new, more advanced variable valve timing technology. A spin-off benefit is an increase in fuel efficiency. The car is now rated at 10.8 and 7.7 litres of fuel per 100K of city and highway driving, respectively
As with its predecessor, power flows to the front wheels through a sophisticated, continuously variable transmission featuring four driver-selectable modes and paddle shifting. After a day of highway and secondary road driving, I'm forced to re-evaluate my bias against CVTs thanks to the exemplary performance of this unit. In its manual-mode it mimics the operation of a conventional 6-speed transmission very effectively; otherwise, it performs unobtrusively and without flaw.

The continuously variable transmission features four driver-selectable modes and paddle shifting.

When passing power is needed, the CVT instantly kicks down and places the engine in its sweet spot, launching the Maxima with strong, consistent acceleration without the permeation of torque steer so typical of high-powered front-wheel drive vehicles. The absence of torque steer is a real bonus, and not one that I expected. Previous Maxima generations tormented drivers with excessive torque steer, so to discover more power at the driving wheels and no torque steer was indeed a delight

Ride quality vastly better without compromising handling
Delight was not limited to the absence of torque steer. Ride quality found in Nissan's new Maxima is remarkable given the vehicle's outstanding handling capabilities. Nissan engineers struck a realistic balance between those juxtaposing dynamics. The ride is highly composed while remaining suitably compliant to provide pleasing ride comfort.

Much of the ride quality can be attributed to a more rigid body structure and platform. In every stiffness measurement, the 2009 Maxima exceeds the ratings achieved by the previous generation. As such, bumps, potholes and the like are absorbed by the fully-independent suspension arrangement rather than transmitted into the cabin in the way of undesirable noise and reverberation.

Although our one-day drive didn't provide us with track time, engineers fine-tuned the Maxima's handling and braking on Germany's famed Nürburgring track. This was time well spent I submit. As a result, turn-in is accurate and precise and body lean is a non-issue. During cornering, the vehicle feels well connected to the roadway, stable and wonderfully secure.

Driving pleasure greatly enhanced
Nissan has resurrected a moniker used to describe some earlier Maxima generations. The "4DSC" acronym represents the return of a 'Four-Door Sports Car' to Nissan's lineup. This concept led much of the redevelopment process, and it can be appreciated visually as well as operationally.

Driving the 2009 Maxima skillfully blends the characteristics of driving a highly responsive sports car with the attributes of a five-passenger, four-door sedan. It should be noted though that the fifth seat (rear-center) is not suitable for full-time occupancy. From the 'Super Cockpit' the operator is immersed in a "driver's car," and visually treated to the lines of a beautifully scalloped hood.

From the ''Super Cockpit'' the operator is immersed in a driver's car.

I enjoyed the Maxima's exhaust tuning. It ensures a refined note greets the ears when a foot greets the throttle. Apart from this purposeful feedback, the vehicle is a quiet performer. Little in the way of road or wind noise is evident, even at highway speed.

And it's on the highway where drivers will undoubtedly appreciate the increased punch for 2009. This car tantalizes with athletic performance and confident passing power, while projecting a look that is unique to the sedan market.

The 2009 Maxima hits Canadian showrooms on June 26th, 2008. Nissan reps hinted at a sub-$40K entry price for their latest pride and joy, which will be rich in amenities, including plenty of luxury, safety and occupant protection as standard equipment.
Photos: Rob Rothwell
Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM

Just to show a review of a Acura TL type s by the same author @ AUTO123.com . This might give you a sense on how the max stacks up to the acura with this guys rating system and opinion .

Sorry if I am posting too much crap. Delete if Necessary. It is nice to have some sort of reference or comparion review.

http://www.auto123.com/en/acura/tl/2...00&artid=86027
Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 AM

maxger, your posts are very much appreciated. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:39 AM

maxger - Thanks loads for giving us the opportunity to read about these tests of the '09 Maxima. I am always very interested in what test drivers think about each new generation Maxima. So far, the reviews from testers are much more positive than the 'shoot-from-the-hip' denigrations of some of us posters.

It is interesting that most professional test drivers so far are feeling very positive about the styling of the new Maxima, while many here complain about the headlights, grille, rear end, etc, etc. That simply reinforces my initial thought that this car looks much better in person than in photos - especially those closeup photos that distort things, making parts of the car nearer the camera grotesquely larger than they really are.

These reviews seem to indicate Nissan has hit the mark with their many chassi adjustments. The amelioration of torque steer, as well as the tighter turning circle, are being welcomed by every tester so far. This tester found the interior room of the newly-shortened '09 is still ample. I also found it interesting that the new Nissan CVT has changed a professional test driver's opinion of CVTs from negative to positive.

I am thankful that test drivers are able to look past prejudices and opinions and accept the reality of what is there. And what is there with this '09 Maxima is a lot.

Quick Reply: All car mags Reviews 2009 Maxima