7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to self-installing interior LED lights (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Guide to self-installing interior LED lights (PICS)

***5/13/09 UPDATE - I recommend you not buy the 2 license plate lights from VLeds, since those lights are on constantly at night when you turn your lights on they will burn out very fast, instead I purchased these http://autolumination.com/194.htm (Superstar Bulbs w/ Metal Heat Sink), and they are more powerful, brighter, and whiter as well, these I definately recommend for the rest of the car as well. These bulbs are also better quality but more expensive than VLeds, only buy the VLeds if your on a tight budget, so far the VLeds have lasted me, but 3 bulbs have already blown. Good Luck!

Left light = white LED . . Right light = stock bulb

This guide is for a quick, easy, and affordable mod for your 09 Maxima. It will show you how to replace your stock bulbs for LED bulbs.

What you need:
09 Nissan Maxima
LED bulbs size 194/168
Butterknife (manual says to use a screwdriver w/ cloth but I don't recommend it, it left dents on my first install)

First off, order your bulbs, I purchased mine from V-Leds (http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/f...m/1/menu_num/2) I purchased super-whites but the color and style is up to you, keeping in mind that some colors may be illegal in your state. My total for 14 bulbs (I got 2 different types) was $65 and that includes shipping which only took 2 days.

I appologize if the pictures are not discriptive enough or quality enough, and in some pictures my bulbs may seem blue but they are white. Before you start your self-install make sure the lights are set to OFF so the bulbs are not hot when you pull them out. I also recommend starting with the step lights (lights on the bottom of the doors) first becuase those always stay on and you can't turn them off. Test each bulb after you install it, to test just simply turn the light switch on then back off, if it doesn't light up just take the bulb out and turn it opposite side and put it back in.

Pop out the light covers with the butterknife, don't be afraid to apply pressure to the "pop". After you pop out one end you can simply pop out the other end or just pull out the cover, gently but again don't be afraid to use strength. Pull the bulbs straight out and install your LED bulbs straight in. To put the covers back on simply snap them back in place.

Last edited by michaelle8885; 07-24-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 PM

For the feet lights, you need to really get down there. Grab the base of the light that the 2 wires are going into, twist it (I forgot which direction but it should only take light pressure), and pull out. After that the pull the bulb straight out like before and install the new LED bulb. Put the base thing back into it's place and turn it to lock it back in there. This is the same for driver and passenger feet lights except the lights are aimed differently.

*For the trunk light simply look inside your trunk at the light, that dome cover over the light is being held in place by a "clip", just stick your finger inbetween the dome cover and "clip" and pull the dome cover down gently. The bulb pulls straight out.*

For the license plate lights, you need to open the trunk and remove the 2 black rubber pieces and about 5 black plastic pieces. You don't need to take them all off, just enough so you can pull the cover down to get to the lights and wires. When the trunk is open, pop to 2 clips at the top, 2 clips at the top sides, and the 1 clip in the middle-right. To pop those clips insert your butterknife into the middle part of the clip, not the base part of the clip. Pop that part up and simply pull the clip out from there. To get to the bulbs you need to again twist the 2 grey light bases that the black wire is going into, again with light pressure, not sure which direction, then pull out. Pull the bulbs straight out and install your new LED bulbs straight in. Put the 2 grey light bases back into it's place and twist them back into position. Put the trunk cover back up and plug the 2 rubber things in then the clips. For the clips you must insert them the same way you pulled them out, the middle piece has to be away from the base piece.

Re-install the clips like this

Last edited by michaelle8885; 10-11-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Last edited by michaelle8885; 10-12-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 PM

Last edited by michaelle8885; 10-12-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Love my '09

Hmmm. I think this qualifies to become an "instant sticky link"

Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 AM

heck yea! thanks haha...
Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Damn dude that is awesome for something so simple to do, I bet the look of those at night inside the car riding down the highway looks tight.

I think I'd prefer a soft red light, any chance they make the bulbs in red???
Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Damn dude that is awesome for something so simple to do, I bet the look of those at night inside the car riding down the highway looks tight.

I think I'd prefer a soft red light, any chance they make the bulbs in red???
yea definately, http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/f...m/1/menu_num/2, but I think RED is one of those colors that may be illegal, especially if a cops sees you driving around with them on, I believe your not allowed to have any type of red or blue lights inside or outside your car, something about fasle presentation of a police officer or something like that.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
yea definately, http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/f...m/1/menu_num/2, but I think RED is one of those colors that may be illegal, especially if a cops sees you driving around with them on, I believe your not allowed to have any type of red or blue lights inside or outside your car, something about fasle presentation of a police officer or something like that.
Thanks bro for the link and advice but I thought that red light thing only applied to lights being mounted on the dash or outside the car (i.e., the grill or on top of the car).

I will check it out though, thanks again for the hook-up.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Michaelle,

You said you used two different types of bulbs, did you mean different colors or actual style of bulb? Don't all the lights use different type of plug for the different spot?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by bizarjuggalo
Michaelle,

You said you used two different types of bulbs, did you mean different colors or actual style of bulb? Don't all the lights use different type of plug for the different spot?
the feet light, license plate light, and trunk light only emits light straight out, but the other lights emits lights from other directions aswell as from the tip. So when I said two different types of bulbs I meant some of them I bought to put in specific places and the others are just for directional lighting. And all the lights for the interior in this set-up is the same size bulb, 194/168. Below are the two types of bulbs I bought, all the same color, white.

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481 for the map lights (2), step lights (4), rear passenger lights (2)

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481 for the feet lights (2), trunk light (1), license plate lights (2)

If those links don't work try this:
Go to www.v-leds.com > Shop By Part ID (Left side menu) > 194 - 168 - 158 LED > White LED > 4 pairs of 2 HID WHITE SMT 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821 and 3 pairs of 2 SUPER HID WHITE 4 LED WEDGE BASE 194 158 168

Last edited by michaelle8885; 01-18-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

NICELY DONE.........GOOD JOB MAN!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 PM
*moderator*

Looks sweet!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Great DIY, can we link to our site's product page?
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....oducts_id=1238
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM

These look nice, especially on newer cars...I had ebay leds for my license plate lights but after a couple months they were flickering non stop so they are no more.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by umnitza
Great DIY, can we link to our site's product page?
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....oducts_id=1238
yea definately
Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey I'm Interested in putting the LED on mine but red could you please help me out on which ones i have to buy because when i try to search for the ones u listed i dont seem to find them
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ImSooFlyy23
Hey I'm Interested in putting the LED on mine but red could you please help me out on which ones i have to buy because when i try to search for the ones u listed i dont seem to find them
I suggest these, they are like mine but red, but again you don't have to get the exact same style bulbs I got, it's up to you.

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...id/0/SFV/32481

Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 AM
/b/

WORD TO THE WISE:

This is an excellent write-up, but MAKE CERTAIN you wrap your butterknife, flat-head, etc. in a paper towel or equivalent before prying the attachment point; the metal edge can and will cut the soft plastic.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a lot so i basically need to order 7 of any of the two that i choose to get right because there 2 in each package which would be total 14
Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ImSooFlyy23
Thanks a lot so i basically need to order 7 of any of the two that i choose to get right because there 2 in each package which would be total 14
yep, either all the same types of you can change them up as long as they are the right size, good luck bro, takes some pics
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey im just about ready to order the LED those anyone know if i do this it will void the warranty on the car
Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 PM

i dont think so.... your warranty is voided if you mess with the powertrain....
Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 PM

michaelle8885.... i have an 08 maxima.. do you have an idea on any specs (like amps, volts, etc.) that we should be aware when changing these bulbs???
Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have to admit...for what appears to be a simple DIY project, the end result looks AWESOME! Nice job! I think one of the other members mentioned this - there seems to be some difficulty in finding the bulbs you used for the foot/trunk/license plate locations. Can you provide the V-LEDS Part ID's for the two types of bulbs you used?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CambyMan
Have to admit...for what appears to be a simple DIY project, the end result looks AWESOME! Nice job! I think one of the other members mentioned this - there seems to be some difficulty in finding the bulbs you used for the foot/trunk/license plate locations. Can you provide the V-LEDS Part ID's for the two types of bulbs you used?
I used these for the feet, trunk, license plate lights
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by morteljc
michaelle8885.... i have an 08 maxima.. do you have an idea on any specs (like amps, volts, etc.) that we should be aware when changing these bulbs???
im not exactly sure but I know that LED bulbs are brighter, proudce more luminance, and requires less watts (power consumption), of course depending on which ones you get vary, this link may somewhat help http://autolumination.com/specifications_194.html
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys, I tried this mod, but with all RED led bulbs. It matches the interior well. I went with the HID white for the map lights due to the need for reading, RED everywhere else. My only comment is that I wish I had went with the LEDs that project light in all directions for the feet lights. If you get the 5-LED bulb, it is the same size as the standard 194 and will fit in all locations of the 09 Max. I also put the HID white on the license plate, looks good.

I got an extra set of Red-5 leds to put in the map lights, and it looks really good at night. Enough light to see well enough, and when all the interior lights are on, nearly the entire cabin of the car has a red glow. Very nice. Great inexpensive mod.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

PLEASE post some pictures of how the red LEDs look at night. I was also thinking of going with red but it would be nice to see how they look first...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll see if i can take some pictures tonite.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 PM

did you purchase from V-Leds and did my guide help? Was there anything you think I missed in the guide that maybe I should add?

post the pics man I wanna see the red LED
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 PM

I got my 09 max ( Satin white w/ premium pkg w/ Navi pkg ) a week ago.
michaelle8885, that looks just beauty to me. but my question is i'm leasing it for 4 yrs. would this modification cause trouble when i return this car? or would it be possible for me to keep original bulbs and put them back on at point of return? what do you think? and can i still order those led bulbs from site u posted from canada?
i live in Toronto. thank you and i really want to admire your work!! so cool!!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Steve31Jo
I got my 09 max ( Satin white w/ premium pkg w/ Navi pkg ) a week ago.
michaelle8885, that looks just beauty to me. but my question is i'm leasing it for 4 yrs. would this modification cause trouble when i return this car? or would it be possible for me to keep original bulbs and put them back on at point of return? what do you think? and can i still order those led bulbs from site u posted from canada?
i live in Toronto. thank you and i really want to admire your work!! so cool!!
www.V-Leds.com ships domestic and international. This MOD will not void your warranty in any way, I'm pretty sure you can even return it with the LEDs installed, it's like if a bulb blew out you would simply buy a replacement, it's doesn't necessarily have to be from Nissan or the exact same stock bulb. But to be sure you can always save the stock bulbs and just replace them when returning your car. The bulbs simply slide in and out, there is no customization required. Good luck bro!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, I took some pics last nite. They didnt come out so well even though I tried using with/without a flash, adjusting settings, etc. I'd like to share them but I have no webspace to host them.

I can email them to one of you if someone's willing to put them up...

8885 - You writeup was great. My only comment is that I would have went with the 5-led in all locations as it projects light from all directions and is the same size as the stock bulb. The foot lights are a little dimmer than the rest since they dont have a reflective cover. I would go with an 11-led for these since they are not limited on size. Great writeup nonetheless.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by 09SlateMax
Okay, I took some pics last nite. They didnt come out so well even though I tried using with/without a flash, adjusting settings, etc. I'd like to share them but I have no webspace to host them.

I can email them to one of you if someone's willing to put them up...

8885 - You writeup was great. My only comment is that I would have went with the 5-led in all locations as it projects light from all directions and is the same size as the stock bulb. The foot lights are a little dimmer than the rest since they dont have a reflective cover. I would go with an 11-led for these since they are not limited on size. Great writeup nonetheless.

Thanks!
true, but it would have cost more and the feet light ONLY come on when a door is open, but it's all preference, and you can host pictures at imageshack.us and host pic size as 1024x768
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, here's my attempt.... Each pic is taken with flash, then without from same location/direction.

Last edited by 09SlateMax; 11-12-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 PM

I just ordered the same set that michaelle8885 has. I have the Mystic Jade SV with the Tech and Cold Package.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 PM

I purchased the same ones Michealle listed in his write up and they look awesome. But I did install the bulbs in a different order. I used the lights that emit straight out for the two front maps lights, the rear map lights and the trunk light. I used the multi directional lights for the footwells, doors and the license plate lights. Which left me with one straight light left over.

Thanks again for this great write up.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 AM

Great DIY thread... I ordered the bulbs yesterday and will be installing as soon as they arrive.

I really like this forum.

Quick Reply: Guide to self-installing interior LED lights (PICS)