7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Help! I'm new here and have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion in this community...

Originally Posted by jommbi
I HATE leather seats. Seriously Nissan, is it sooo hard to offer a decent cloth seat package?
You answered your own question. You hate leather but Nissan cloth isn't decent.

I had cloth seats in my last 3 cars ('88, 94 Corolla and '07 Altima SE). SinceI am getting a Maxima, which is the luxury Nissan sedan, I may as well go all the way - premium leather seats. Besides, I know this will be a car I'm keeping for a while even after my lease ends.

The short answer: TO EACH HIS/HER OWN.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 AM

cloth holds odors, stains easy, and makes the interior look cheaper imo.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by AbleRiot
You answered your own question. You hate leather but Nissan cloth isn't decent.

I had cloth seats in my last 3 cars ('88, 94 Corolla and '07 Altima SE). SinceI am getting a Maxima, which is the luxury Nissan sedan, I may as well go all the way - premium leather seats. Besides, I know this will be a car I'm keeping for a while even after my lease ends.

The short answer: TO EACH HIS/HER OWN.
You misunderstand me. I think Nissan has excellent cloth seats. The ones in my 02 still looked new when I traded it in. I just wish there was more flexibility in the options selection. I would have loved to get the Sport & Tech package, just sans the leather seats.

Leather has its own problems which I know everyone is aware of. As for holding odors, I'm not going there...

Aside from the lack of HIDs and fogs, I starting to love this car.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I am extremely upset with the service department at Baytown Nissan in Texas. Today I took my 2010 Maxima in because I am having a weird popping from my front drivers side suspension and my drivers see rocks back and forth. I was told that they would not fix either issue because I had installed a K&N intake and voided my entire warrant! I was told to remove the K&N and re-install the factory intake and they will correct both issue. Needless to say I made a scene in the service department and made an appointment at another dealership that stated "if you changed the intake we won't warranty the intake but we will still warrant the car". I have emailed the service manager at Baytown Nissan about this but I wanted to know if there is anything else that I can do. This particular dealership is less than 5 min from my house and the next closest one is 45 min so I wish that this dealership could help me. Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM

That's garbage... find a new dealership to take your car to. I practically interview service advisors to find the one I want to work with. There are mod friendly service departments out there. Keep looking and develop a relationship with your new advisor.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by slcollins83
Hey guys, I am extremely upset with the service department at Baytown Nissan in Texas. Today I took my 2010 Maxima in because I am having a weird popping from my front drivers side suspension and my drivers see rocks back and forth. I was told that they would not fix either issue because I had installed a K&N intake and voided my entire warrant! I was told to remove the K&N and re-install the factory intake and they will correct both issue. Needless to say I made a scene in the service department and made an appointment at another dealership that stated "if you changed the intake we won't warranty the intake but we will still warrant the car". I have emailed the service manager at Baytown Nissan about this but I wanted to know if there is anything else that I can do. This particular dealership is less than 5 min from my house and the next closest one is 45 min so I wish that this dealership could help me. Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 AM

Baytown Nissan is feeding you an absolute downright lie. To even suggest that a new intake would affect the warranty on your seat or suspension is so absurd I am embarrased for Nissan.

This is the type of dealer support that gives Nissan a poor public relations image. I would definitely call the Nissan district manager. He may not be able to help, but if nobody calls, then Nissan may assume the dealer is treating customers well.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 AM

I searched and cannot find it....I remember way back there was an post about a device in the engine to artifically increase the motor sounds. I remember there were even pictures on how to remove it (I believe it was a fan like device). anyone know where I can find that discussion. I searched and searched.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 AM

They called it a "sound generator" and it's i small tube attached to your intake, and routed towards your firewall.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

downloading content of iphone 3GS to 7th gen maxima

I'm a real newbie so hoping someone can help me with this. From what I can see, the only way to enter contacts to the vechicle handset is one by one. Is there any other way to do this. The vehicle handset greys out when the car moves and this is a real bummer
thanx much
jan
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

An oil change at 1.000 miles is a good insurance policy but my question is if you have 1 or 2 years free maintenance and bring the car in to Nissan for a change at 1.000 miles, when they recommend it at approximately 3,500, will it be covered or do you have to pay for it?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Should I do 5 percent tint or 20 percent on every window?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ambixel
Should I do 5 percent tint or 20 percent on every window?
depends on how strict your cops are. in cali you cant tint the front side windows. but if you really want to. 35% isnt that dark but still is noticeable.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Guys, I just picked up a maxima yesterday, but it has a sunroof deflector, which I dont like.

Are these things screwed in? how hard is it to remove?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:12 PM

If its like my 2002 Max, its held on by clips/clamps that you loosen by unscrewing the 2 screws on either side (visible on the top of the deflector). My got loose on on a trip it started vibrating at around 75, causing a horrible sounding racket as if a tire was shredding. We stopped and could not find any tire damage. It was about 3 weeks later that I figured out the deflector was the cause!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 AM

License Plate Lights

I bought all new led bulbs for interior of my 2010 maxima (14 of them which is crazy). but i cant change the license plate. I got the right bulb but I just cant figure out how to get to them.? My only guess is taking off the panel in the inside of the trunk behind the lights and taking them out that way. does anyone know??
Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
depends on how strict your cops are. in cali you cant tint the front side windows. but if you really want to. 35% isnt that dark but still is noticeable.
Im in san diego. Ive never gotten a tint ticket before but I had 20 percent on all my previous cars. I know of friends that have gotten a lot and many that have never been pulled over. I think its wrong place wrong time getting a ticket. Im gonna do 5 tho i think
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ambixel
I bought all new led bulbs for interior of my 2010 maxima (14 of them which is crazy). but i cant change the license plate. I got the right bulb but I just cant figure out how to get to them.? My only guess is taking off the panel in the inside of the trunk behind the lights and taking them out that way. does anyone know??
Yes, your need to remove all the cardboard mouse fur, then the sockets rotate and pull out. I think there are pictures of how to do this on this site. It was actually easy, its getting to the tail light assembly that I gave up on.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Yes, your need to remove all the cardboard mouse fur, then the sockets rotate and pull out. I think there are pictures of how to do this on this site. It was actually easy, its getting to the tail light assembly that I gave up on.
yea finally got time and figured it out today. wasnt too bad. looks sweet. Next is changing out the yellow stock fog lights that they decided to put on the car. so hopefully its not hard like the tail lights
Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
If its like my 2002 Max, its held on by clips/clamps that you loosen by unscrewing the 2 screws on either side (visible on the top of the deflector). My got loose on on a trip it started vibrating at around 75, causing a horrible sounding racket as if a tire was shredding. We stopped and could not find any tire damage. It was about 3 weeks later that I figured out the deflector was the cause!
thanks man! looked at it carefully and saw how it latches on.

Can you tell me about the key fob port, whats the point of putting the key into the port if we have push start anyway?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DiploMAX
Can you tell me about the key fob port, whats the point of putting the key into the port if we have push start anyway?
The point of the port is if the battery of the remote dies you can always physically place it on the port to be able to start the car.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ricko
The point of the port is if the battery of the remote dies you can always physically place it on the port to be able to start the car.
gotchya!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Whoa..in need of major opinions here..

I have been searching and searching this forum and all over the web to find anyone that has had a problem similiar to mine and I have found NONE.

Two weeks ago I traded in my 2008 Altima Coupe for a 2009 Maxima SV w/ premium package for what I felt was a great deal. Plus they paid my car off 100%.. Well I drove it for about a week and a half everything was fine but I just got a funny feeling since it was a used car to get my mechanic to check the car out (which I should have done before I bought the car.) Well what we found was no good at all.. Coolant around the head and block (head gasket) and a leak on the right side seal of the transmission. I took it back to dealership and they are putting a new motor, radiator and all new seals in. They say this was the first motor they have had to replace in a 7th gen Maxima yet... Anyone else heard of such? Also yes I'm getting a new motor but it worries me too, what else could be wrong with the car. It only has 23k on it and still under warranty until 36k.. 100k warranty on motor and transmission. What do you all think I should do? ... should I give the car and the dealership a chance? I've looked for another White w/black top SV premium and can't find another in my area for the price...Plus I don't even know if I can get out of the deal now and they already sold my coupe. Thanks for any responses - Stressed out
Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLady44
I have been searching and searching this forum and all over the web to find anyone that has had a problem similiar to mine and I have found NONE.

Two weeks ago I traded in my 2008 Altima Coupe for a 2009 Maxima SV w/ premium package for what I felt was a great deal. Plus they paid my car off 100%.. Well I drove it for about a week and a half everything was fine but I just got a funny feeling since it was a used car to get my mechanic to check the car out (which I should have done before I bought the car.) Well what we found was no good at all.. Coolant around the head and block (head gasket) and a leak on the right side seal of the transmission. I took it back to dealership and they are putting a new motor, radiator and all new seals in. They say this was the first motor they have had to replace in a 7th gen Maxima yet... Anyone else heard of such? Also yes I'm getting a new motor but it worries me too, what else could be wrong with the car. It only has 23k on it and still under warranty until 36k.. 100k warranty on motor and transmission. What do you all think I should do? ... should I give the car and the dealership a chance? I've looked for another White w/black top SV premium and can't find another in my area for the price...Plus I don't even know if I can get out of the deal now and they already sold my coupe. Thanks for any responses - Stressed out
Thats scary to think problem this early in its life because nissans are so well known for their long life spans. If they are replacing everything I wouldnt worry too much. unfortunately maybe the previous owner didnt follow the instructions on breaking the engine in in the first 2000 miles and was real rough on the car. good thing u took it to a mechanic
Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM

How do you turn on the heated side mirrors?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM

back window defrost button, got it
Old 10-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Start up RPM's

When I start the car in the morning the idle speed jumps to 1600 RPM's and stays there until I shift into gear.
Is this normal?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM

mine does the same

although it will drop to 900 or so after 30 seconds or such
Old 10-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Observer
When I start the car in the morning the idle speed jumps to 1600 RPM's and stays there until I shift into gear.
Is this normal?
Thats ok, thats just because the engine's a little cold in the morning if it hasnt been running all night, when it warsm up it idles at a lower rpm.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Observer
Is this normal?
Been happening here too since the weather has started to change, but it doesn't last long. If it stays at 1600 even when the engine has begun to warm, I'd say you have a problem
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM

How do I post pictures? I have more than 15 posts. Also want my max picture in my signature....
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

High mileage question.

I'm looking at a 2010 Maxima with the premium package. It's a local trade-in at an Infinity dealer(one owner). I can purchase the car for 24,990 but it has 35,000 miles (mostly highway I would assume) which concern me for a 1 year old car. In all other respects is a clean and straight car. Should the mileage be a red flag or is the low price a reasonable trade off? I'm trying to convince my wife that mileage in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Comments?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Westby
High mileage question.

I'm looking at a 2010 Maxima with the premium package. It's a local trade-in at an Infinity dealer(one owner). I can purchase the car for 24,990 but it has 35,000 miles (mostly highway I would assume) which concern me for a 1 year old car. In all other respects is a clean and straight car. Should the mileage be a red flag or is the low price a reasonable trade off? I'm trying to convince my wife that mileage in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Comments?
Think you aren't getting any responses because most of us just don't know the used car market. Remember this will only be the 3rd model year so most of us bought new. Seems a little pricey to me, but I am not familiar with the market. I have similar mileage and owe 22k on my 09 w/o premium (and I bought when the car was brand new so paid a bit of a premium). Based on that, I wouldn't say its a killer deal you are getting. Also mileage doesn't scare me at all, but I think the "highway mileage" is a fallacy, especially with a CVT transmission. I would also say the car will probably need brakes soon and tires not too far down the line, so don't forget that. I can feel what I am guessing is the beginning of warp on my brakes.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by the_tags
Think you aren't getting any responses because most of us just don't know the used car market. Remember this will only be the 3rd model year so most of us bought new. Seems a little pricey to me, but I am not familiar with the market. I have similar mileage and owe 22k on my 09 w/o premium (and I bought when the car was brand new so paid a bit of a premium). Based on that, I wouldn't say its a killer deal you are getting. Also mileage doesn't scare me at all, but I think the "highway mileage" is a fallacy, especially with a CVT transmission. I would also say the car will probably need brakes soon and tires not too far down the line, so don't forget that. I can feel what I am guessing is the beginning of warp on my brakes.
I've been researching the market here for a few weeks and the only used Max within 50 miles (other than the one I bought yesterday )with the premium package, was a black 09 with 21,000 miles. They want 29,988 and refused to budge even a dollar when I called them and told them I could buy a '10 for 24,900.

I looked at and drove quite a few '09's without the premium package and most of them were listed at between 26,900 and 28,000. Not sure how much I could have knocked off that price since I never made an offer but based on the market here I think my price was pretty good.

And the satellite radio from the previous owner still works.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another newbie question.

When I filled up for the first time on the way home last night from the dealership, when the pump automatically shut off and before I could get the cap on gas ran out of the fill tube and down the side of the car. Probably a few ounces before I popped the cap back on. Never had this happen with any car before. Is this most likely a faulty pump or something I need to watch for the next time I fill up?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 PM

Another newbie question.

When I filled up for the first time on the way home last night from the dealership, when the pump automatically shut off and before I could get the cap on gas ran out of the fill tube and down the side of the car. Probably a few ounces before I popped the cap back on. Never had this happen with any car before. Is this most likely a faulty pump or something I need to watch for the next time I fill up?
Probably a pump, I've never had that happen, as a matter of fact, even though I don't really top off anymore I bet I could get at least another gallon in after the pump shut off. I usually try and round up to an even number because I am **** retentive.

I'm sure you did your research and got a good deal. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM

Another newbie question.

Either you didn't have the nozzle as far as it would go into the filler opening, or the pump cutoff is not working correctly. The pump cutoff depends on a sensor in the nozzle being completely into the filler tube.

If this happens when you have the nozzle all the way in the filler tube, try another station next time. That will let you know whether there is something not exactrly right with your car. I will bet the problem will not be your car.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks tags and loth.

Lovin the new Max!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Sunglass Holder Rattle

So I have searched the forums and could not locate anything on the sunglass holder rattle. I have a 2011 Maxima and notice while driving that the sunglass holder rattles with no glasses being in there. Is there any solution to this?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Good question, I am waiting for a reply to that also.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just thinking about changing my headlights and underbody kits to leds, can you give some suggestions about colors and anything that I need to pay attention. Your advice is greatly appreciated, tks, Tod.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm new here and have a question....