7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Help! I'm new here and have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM

I'm planning to switch back to dino from mobil one as soon as I see barney. when you do, just bonk him on ze head & drag him back to the garage.

good to da last drop, dino oil
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 PM

hey all, for some reason i cant start a new thread cause its saying i dont have permission for weird reasons even tho i signed up here a month ago or so, i have a black 09 sv sport and tech package, current mods on it right now are painted tail lights (just the red part), stillen - grounding kit, sway bars, roof wing, RLP- front strut, 5% tints on back windows and rear windshield, 15% driver/passanger, 50% windshield, E&G black ice heavy mesh grille, LED fogs and rear license plate, 6pc chrome pillar set, interior blue leds under seats, led interior dome lights....just curious as to what people think i should add as far as mods go, only other things im really considering is the stllen catback exhaust, front lip and side skirts, and eventually wheels and tires, lemme know what everyone thinks, sorry again for not being able to make a new thread
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 AM

Hey folks, I just got a 2010 max on new year's eve. 2 questions, i know its recommended to use premium gas but is anyone using 87 or 89 without any performance hit? and question about window tinting, i'm leaning towards 35% front doors and back windows, but what you think about 35% front and 20% back? not sure if its going to look good, any suggestions appreciated it. thanks!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Leeno
Hey folks, I just got a 2010 max on new year's eve. 2 questions, i know its recommended to use premium gas but is anyone using 87 or 89 without any performance hit? and question about window tinting, i'm leaning towards 35% front doors and back windows, but what you think about 35% front and 20% back? not sure if its going to look good, any suggestions appreciated it. thanks!
what color is your car? as for the gas, i have always use premium gas 93 on all my cars so i cant comment on that.
i have the super black and i am thinking of doin 35% front, 25% back, 50% front window and 35% rear window.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM

As to the gas question? I will give my opinion, but be aware every poster on the board will have a slightly different opinion.

When the '09 Maxima came out, Nissan was saying premium was no longer 'recommended' (most 6th gens ran fine on lower grades), but 'required', because of an increase in compression ratio, as well as changes made in the fuel system with the '09. So most everybody on the ORG stuck with premium in their '09.

But when the '10s arrived, ostensibly with the same engine and fuel system as the '09, Nissan had dropped the premium stipulation back to 'recommended.' That caused sort of a firestorm here on the ORG, as it seemed to most of us that Nissan was talking out of both sides of their mouth.

My take? With premium, there is no question you will get the maximum performance from your Maxima. I will have had my Maxima one year this coming Thursday 7th, and have used nothing but premium. At the same time, I am sure my '09 will run fine with mid-grade, and, at some point, will probably switch to mid-grade, as my driving style certainly does not take full advantage of the power in premium gas.

But I will not be dropping to regular, because Nissan designed and tuned this 7th gen Maxima for 91 octane, and dropping to 87 means the onboard system has to make a four octane adjustment in order to handle regular gas. I feel that is a larger adjustment than I am willing to ask my car to make.

My recommendation? Try to stick with premium (91 or higher octane). 93 octane is fine, but don't go out of your way searching for it, as 91 is what the car is designed for. Urban myths and 'personal experience' aside, octanes above 91 serve little purpose in a car designed for 91 octane. Drive with premium until you get a feel for how your car performs with it. Then, if finances require, try a tank of mid-grade (89 octane) and see if you can detect the difference. If not, you may be fine with mid-grade. I would avoid regular gas (87 octane) in the 7th gen. Also, do not switch back and forth between grades, because it takes the onboard system a tank or so to make the full adjustment between grades.

Just my opinion. But you will get lots of different opinions here.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
what color is your car? as for the gas, i have always use premium gas 93 on all my cars so i cant comment on that.
i have the super black and i am thinking of doin 35% front, 25% back, 50% front window and 35% rear window.
My car color is ocean gray. I thought about the gas and wondered how much would it hurt to just use 93 (hard to find 91 around philly) for maybe a few more dollars to fill up?, it is a $30k+ car. As for tint i think i'm going for 35% all around except front windshield unless someone changes my mind because i do want to be able to see at night don't want anything too dark. thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Below are pics of my old car with 35% front and 25% back from there:

Worked well for me for 5+ years. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the pics gizzsdad, i guess i will have to go to a pro tint shop cause i really need to see how it looks in different lighting. One more thing i'm thinking about getting the nose mask is that too much? or too ugly? any thoughts if any of you guys ever used one...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

I have had clear bras put on my last three vehicles.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Clear bras don't look too bad on Precision Gray. I have had them installed on three vehicles so far and no problems what so ever.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 AM

First Fill-up

With any brand-new car, I quickly try to ascertain the fuel reserve when the "low-fuel" warning light begins to glow. Yesterday, after 5 days of driving, my light went on. I immediately headed to the gas station and pumped in 13.3 gallons of premium before the automatic shutoff clicked the pump off. I thought this was odd given the fact that the Maxima has a 20 gallon tank. I know it is frowned upon, but I continued clicking in another 3 gallons until I thought the tank was filled, for a total refill of 17.3 gallons. I should note that the car had been parked facing uphill on a steep hill when I started it and noticed the low-fuel light glowing for the first time. Does this make a difference? The big question is, how much fuel remains when the light begins to glow? Thanks for your input.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JSakaBuck
With any brand-new car, I quickly try to ascertain the fuel reserve when the "low-fuel" warning light begins to glow. Yesterday, after 5 days of driving, my light went on. I immediately headed to the gas station and pumped in 13.3 gallons of premium before the automatic shutoff clicked the pump off. I thought this was odd given the fact that the Maxima has a 20 gallon tank. I know it is frowned upon, but I continued clicking in another 3 gallons until I thought the tank was filled, for a total refill of 17.3 gallons. I should note that the car had been parked facing uphill on a steep hill when I started it and noticed the low-fuel light glowing for the first time. Does this make a difference? The big question is, how much fuel remains when the light begins to glow? Thanks for your input.
I had my first refill yesterday too, it was about 15.5 gallons to fill my tank after the warning came on. I also looked at the mileage range before i refilled which was 60 miles (19 city and 26 hw supposedly), meaning the computer was probably estimating 3+ gallons left when the light came on or close to it, so far i haven't been getting good gas mileage because of city traffic. Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem trying to pair a new phone in 2009 Maxima

Nothing in the manual says how to delete an old phone, and pair a new one!
Only how to do set-up.

Please help!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM

This has come up regularly, especially beginning with the '04 Maxima. Running out of fuel in our old Studebaker sixty years ago simply meant walking to the nearest service station.

That is not the case with these modern Maximas. Running out of fuel in these babies is a HUGE no-no. Doing so could cause problems with the fuel system, catalytic converter and fuel pump (which is inside the gas tank, and depends on being immersed in fuel to prevent overheating). Nissan tries to protect us by giving the first fuel warnings early-on - depending on several variables, between the time there are 4 and 6 gallons left in the tank.

That may seem like overkill, but it absolutely is not. There is no purpose served by running the tank down to only a gallon or two is left. Doing so does not change our MPG at all. The old chatter about 'miles per tankful' is totally meaningless rubbish. The only number that matters is MPG (miles per gallon), NOT MPT (miles per tankful).

It only took me one time running out of gas (after midnight on a dark road) to understand that even cutting things close is very foolish. I later had that lesson reinforced by waiting until my tank was low while crossing endless west Texas, arriving at a town where the power was out (storm), so no gas pumps would work, and not having enough left in the tank to make the next town. A wasted night in a motel, and a lost day of vacation. Utter stupidity to ever let the tank get low.

Also, having the light come on alerts us in time to plan our fuel stop so we can find the brand/price we like. If the first fuel light is ignored, a gallon or two later, we begin getting a big bright 'miles to empty' display. Although it is usually posible at that point to make it many more miles before the car quits and dies, that is simply playing Russian Roullette, with nothing to be gained, and possibly much to lose. When I see the first 'miles to empty' light, I begin looking for a good gas station.

As to the 'steep uphill' part, the fuel sensor can only be in one place in the tank, so it stands to reason that there would be situations where a sharp tilt ot the car could give a false reading.

As to being able to get 3 more gallons in after the initial cutoff, that tells us the sensor in the nozzle of the service station fuel pump was not correctly adjusted. Not much we can do about that. When I stop for fuel, I usually know about how much gas the tank will take. If the pump cuts off more than a gallon or two short of what I think it should, I may pull the nozzel up an inch or so and try once more. But only once more, because it is no fun to have gas all over my shoes and pant legs.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM

My question is do you guys prefer the premium or the sport package? I like the looks of the Sport a little more, i.e. the spoiler and 19" wheels, but during the test driver yesterday, I noticed a pretty significant vibration at 70 mph. The dealer said it was because the tires haven't warmed up, and yes, that could be some of it as it was 35 degrees yesterday, but what do you all see? This is the only thing that's driving me away from the sport and back to the premium. I'm looking at a '10 Crimson Black/Charcoal Premium with a sticker of $37,787. I can get it for $32,300 before T+T+T and doc fee. My wife has a discount through her work and there is a 2k rebate on the Max right now. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Hmmm......sport or premium? I think it is the most subjective decision one can make. For me, I found the ride offered by the 19" wheels on the Sport to be unacceptably harsh here in the pot-hole covered streets of Pennsylvania. The Premium's 18" wheels offered a better compromise between handling and ride comfort for my taste. Also, I liked the visual look of the wood-grained interior of the Premium over the carbon-fiber look of the Sport. I believe the car can be an outstanding vehicle in whichever model you choose, it all comes down to personal likes and dislikes.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM

2010 sv here,,\

i'm getting a red light on the guage when i exit the car,, well first before i lock it , where the image of the foot pressing the brake and telling to you to push button normally is , an image of a key going into a slot comes on ...then after i close the door and lock them its a litle red light of a car with a key in it.. i'm not sure what it means..

any help would be appreciated
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 AM

ranmax

wait a minute, it probably goes out. perhaps indicating that the vehicle is locked and alarmed?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by CubbieBlue28
My question is do you guys prefer the premium or the sport package? I like the looks of the Sport a little more, i.e. the spoiler and 19" wheels, but during the test driver yesterday, I noticed a pretty significant vibration at 70 mph. The dealer said it was because the tires haven't warmed up, and yes, that could be some of it as it was 35 degrees yesterday, but what do you all see? This is the only thing that's driving me away from the sport and back to the premium. I'm looking at a '10 Crimson Black/Charcoal Premium with a sticker of $37,787. I can get it for $32,300 before T+T+T and doc fee. My wife has a discount through her work and there is a 2k rebate on the Max right now. Thanks in advance!
From my point of view, everything that comes with the sport can be added to the premium but not vise vesa. I opted for the Premium and added spoiler and wheels.
I think it looks pretty damm sporty.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Hmmm......sport or premium? I think it is the most subjective decision one can make. For me, I found the ride offered by the 19" wheels on the Sport to be unacceptably harsh here in the pot-hole covered streets of Pennsylvania. The Premium's 18" wheels offered a better compromise between handling and ride comfort for my taste. Also, I liked the visual look of the wood-grained interior of the Premium over the carbon-fiber look of the Sport. I believe the car can be an outstanding vehicle in whichever model you choose, it all comes down to personal likes and dislikes.

Its all preference I had the 18's on my car got bored and purchased the stock sport 19's. They look great except when driving in nyc were for me is very often. Either way car looks great!!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ranmax
2010 sv here,,\

i'm getting a red light on the guage when i exit the car,, well first before i lock it , where the image of the foot pressing the brake and telling to you to push button normally is , an image of a key going into a slot comes on ...then after i close the door and lock them its a litle red light of a car with a key in it.. i'm not sure what it means..

any help would be appreciated
I beleive that is the Keyfob battery is low light you are talking about. Check out the manual, or slide by the dealer.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
I beleive that is the Keyfob battery is low light you are talking about. Check out the manual, or slide by the dealer.

Unfortunately i dont have a manual ,, i am going to get one , but never got one originally.. thanks for the suggestion tho..

in the mean i will make a short vid showing exaclty the light i'm getting tommorow so you guys can see , incase i havent described it properly
Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 AM

Whtdvl - Why do you say this about the 19" stock sport wheels?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by Michael76
Whtdvl - Why do you say this about the 19" stock sport wheels?
The 19" wheels ride rougher than the 18" wheels. Also, the sport-tuned suspension is stiffer.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM

Thanks Boone lol. Gotta love the way it looks tho!!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam

btw , found the online owners manual Nissan offers and , the light i'm geting is to let me know the vehicle securtiy sysytem is armed.. just weird i didnt get it the first week i had it oh well , atlesast i know what it is now
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM

I just ordered a K&N Typhoon Intake Kit (it's a new product i believe), any thoughts? i didn't see any topics about this but i never installed a intake b4 but i think it shouldn't be too hard and i can get my neighbor to help me since he's a mechanic. Anyhow, only thing i'm concerned about is if the intake is going to be TOO loud for my taste...
Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 AM

I have an 09 max with nav package. My problem is sometimes when I plug my iphone in to the adapter it reads it no problem. Recently it has started saying on the screen " there is no song" however when it does this i can still play music but just have to control it through the phone itself?

Anyone know wtf is going on? It seems really random timing and doesnt make much sense.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 09max07gsxr
I have an 09 max with nav package. My problem is sometimes when I plug my iphone in to the adapter it reads it no problem. Recently it has started saying on the screen " there is no song" however when it does this i can still play music but just have to control it through the phone itself?

Anyone know wtf is going on? It seems really random timing and doesnt make much sense.
Mine is the same way. Sometimes it will tell me to plug in ipod. Other times I wont be able to select albums from the controls, have to play manually. Took it in on a weekend, but the service guy said I ned to bring it in on a weekday, that the whole interface might need replacing (his words). Havent had time to take it back yet.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 AM

how do you post video in here?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello. I have a 2009 nissan maxima for about 9 months now. About 1.1k miles on it. When the weather got aroudn 15F the car refuses to start. Check engine , cvt, oil, brake lights come on but it doesn't start. I tried giving gas while holding the start button but don't work. Could battery be low ? Also do i need to hold break and gas at same time as pressing the start button ?? (not clear in manual they saying to press gass 1/3rd and press start, but don't you need to press break as well for that button to work? ). Does anyone have same problem ?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by computer87
Hello. I have a 2009 nissan maxima for about 9 months now. About 1.1k miles on it. When the weather got aroudn 15F the car refuses to start. Check engine , cvt, oil, brake lights come on but it doesn't start. I tried giving gas while holding the start button but don't work. Could battery be low ? Also do i need to hold break and gas at same time as pressing the start button ?? (not clear in manual they saying to press gass 1/3rd and press start, but don't you need to press break as well for that button to work? ). Does anyone have same problem ?
Thanks

We need more info. When you press the START button, does the engine turn over, but just not 'catch' and start, or does it not turn over at all?

There can easily be enough juice in the battery to turn on most lights, etc, on the car, but not enough to turn this 3.5 290 HP engine over.

15 degrees is brutal on batteries, and an engine that has sat out in 15 degree weather requires more power to start than one that has sat in an enclosed garage.

You have to hold the brake pedal down in order to start the car, but I have never bothered to touch the gas pedal until the engine is running. My car has started first touch every time, and it was made first week of Oct '08. But then my car is in an insulated garage unless I am traveling.

In your case, I would have the battery checked first thing. If the battery has a good charge, I would check out the battery cable connections, because sometimes corrosion builds up inside the clamps and reduces the metal-to-metal contact needed for full battery power to reach the starter.

If battery and connections are good, it is probably time to have the dealer fix this under warranty.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
We need more info. When you press the START button, does the engine turn over, but just not 'catch' and start, or does it not turn over at all?

There can easily be enough juice in the battery to turn on most lights, etc, on the car, but not enough to turn this 3.5 290 HP engine over.

15 degrees is brutal on batteries, and an engine that has sat out in 15 degree weather requires more power to start than one that has sat in an enclosed garage.

You have to hold the brake pedal down in order to start the car, but I have never bothered to touch the gas pedal until the engine is running. My car has started first touch every time, and it was made first week of Oct '08. But then my car is in an insulated garage unless I am traveling.

In your case, I would have the battery checked first thing. If the battery has a good charge, I would check out the battery cable connections, because sometimes corrosion builds up inside the clamps and reduces the metal-to-metal contact needed for full battery power to reach the starter.

If battery and connections are good, it is probably time to have the dealer fix this under warranty.

Thanks for reply. The car makes some noise when you press start button but engine doesn't start, it does sound weaker then normal when it trying to start it. On my old 2000 maxima in cold weather it wouldn't start either unless i turned the ignition key and pressed gas at same time . But can't figure out how to do here. Manual is saying you can somehow press the button and gas at same time as well, but the screen on the panel is saying you need to press the break. I tried to press break, gas and button at same time but no go
It will be warmer this weekend will try to see if someone can jump start it , if it starts then i guess battery was low, i didn't drive for a week because of snow.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 AM

Thanks for reply. The car makes some noise when you press start button but engine doesn't start, it does sound weaker then normal when it trying to start it. On my old 2000 maxima in cold weather it wouldn't start either unless i turned the ignition key and pressed gas at same time . But can't figure out how to do here. Manual is saying you can somehow press the button and gas at same time as well, but the screen on the panel is saying you need to press the break. I tried to press break, gas and button at same time but no go
It will be warmer this weekend will try to see if someone can jump start it , if it starts then i guess battery was low, i didn't drive for a week because of snow.

I wouldn't worry about trying to press the gas pedal when trying to start this car. Just hold the brake pedal down (the car will never start unless the brake pedal is held down; this is a safety device) and press the START button.

From your latest post, I feel sure there is not enough juice to start the car. That could be either a weak battery or poor cable connections. The battery could be weak because it has a dead cell, because it is not getting charged, or because it won't hold a charge. If the battery is not getting charged, it could be because of a solenoid, voltage regulator, alternator problem or poor cable connection.

One other possibility would be the starter. Also, I seem to remember this 7th gen Maxima does not come with a sealed battery? Has your service department insured the battery acid level is staying above the battery plates?

Let us know what you find.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I wouldn't worry about trying to press the gas pedal when trying to start this car. Just hold the brake pedal down (the car will never start unless the brake pedal is held down; this is a safety device) and press the START button.

From your latest post, I feel sure there is not enough juice to start the car. That could be either a weak battery or poor cable connections. The battery could be weak because it has a dead cell, because it is not getting charged, or because it won't hold a charge. If the battery is not getting charged, it could be because of a solenoid, voltage regulator, alternator problem or poor cable connection.

One other possibility would be the starter. Also, I seem to remember this 7th gen Maxima does not come with a sealed battery? Has your service department insured the battery acid level is staying above the battery plates?

Let us know what you find.
Finally found someone to give me jumpstart this weekend. By this time battery went dead completely. I had to use mechanical key to open car.
Couldn't even open trunk to get jumper cables, it seems it needs battery.
Only front was able to open (hood release not electronic at least). Took 10 minutes for both cars running for battery to charge enough to start it.
Drove around for an hour and it started afterwards ok yesterday and today. Battery fluid looks ok i think. I am suprised they didn't use maintance free battery , even my old maxima had sealed one
Only problem now everything got reset and my low pressure light on tires came on. Checked all 4 tires and they around 38 psi (18in tires), i guess dealer overinflated them but should be ok. The spare was 40 , i inflated to 60 but the check tire light didn't go away. Will try 65 on spare, maybe in cold doesn't read right.
I drive only 10 miles a week or so on weekends, i guess during summer it was enough but during winter battery can't get recharged enough from that. Although on 2000 maxima i drove same way for years and it always started (less hp engine i guess 220 vs 290).
Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Couldn't even open trunk to get jumper cables, it seems it needs battery.

I drive only 10 miles a week or so on weekends, i guess during summer it was enough but during winter battery can't get recharged enough from that. Although on 2000 maxima i drove same way for years and it always started (less hp engine i guess 220 vs 290).
The versions without the fold down rear seat have a trunk release just inside the pass-through at the top. It is a small handle on a cable that is attached to the top of the opening.

And you need to drive that Maxima. It is always better to use something up that to let it waste away.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Computer87

If I am reading you post correctly, you inflated all of your tire to 60psi!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but that's dangerous isn't it?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jc53
Computer87

If I am reading you post correctly, you inflated all of your tire to 60psi!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but that's dangerous isn't it?

only the spare. The other 4 it seems dealer inflated to 38

I will try to find the lever in rear seat, haven't seen it last time i looked.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Noticed today that when I put my car in reverse, the side mirrors don't automatically move down. The SV Sport I test drove did this, but my SV Sport does not. Any idea why or how to enable it again? It is nitpicky I know, but I want perfection (or as close to it as possible). Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Love my '09

Tiger,

Flip your mirror switch to the different positions and put it in reverse. One does both, one does 1 mirror and the last position does NO mirrors in reverse. (If I remember correctly)

this is also in the users manual someplace.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm new here and have a question....