7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you think Nissan/Infiniti Should Have DRL?
Yes (Low-Beam)
0%
Yes (LED Design)
58.33%
No
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Day Time Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

the dealership is very likely telling you the truth.

the 6th gen has a spot for DRLs for canada. but there is no bulb, no opening, no wires for US versions. there is very possibly a position for a DRL fuse to make production cheaper for both versions. the 7th gen is very likely the same.

just compare your headlight assembly to a canadian version to see where the DRL is located and fabricate your own like the 6th gens have. otherwise simply rewire your fogs and use them solo.

i do not understand why any dealer would even want to modify any lighting or wires on your cars. they would void your lighting warranty and not want to be responsible.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
the dealership is very likely telling you the truth.

the 6th gen has a spot for DRLs for canada. but there is no bulb, no opening, no wires for US versions. there is very possibly a position for a DRL fuse to make production cheaper for both versions. the 7th gen is very likely the same.

just compare your headlight assembly to a canadian version to see where the DRL is located and fabricate your own like the 6th gens have. otherwise simply rewire your fogs and use them solo.

i do not understand why any dealer would even want to modify any lighting or wires on your cars. they would void your lighting warranty and not want to be responsible.
Not sure if your on the same topic as I am but I just wanted to give alittle input on the fuse for the DRL's. I actually check under my hood where one fuse box is and there is actually a fuse that is already in the DRL spot although I have no idea how to go about getting the DRL's to turn on. Idk if there is certain programing for the car or maybe a relay that is missing.

Anyone have a pic of the back of a Canadian model Maxima? I have an extra headlight that I can take a pic of the back to make a comparison between the two to see if there is anything missing.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM

i got this from
http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...8342_8349.html

has anyone swapped out the DRL bulb for a xenon bulb yet?

Last edited by vancitymax; 02-17-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM

I had been thinking about swapping my DRL bulb for a xenon bulb but then I thought about it for a second. It would pretty much negate the already existing xenon bulb sitting right beside it and it would look like sh*t on high beam. Lol the DRL on high beam is a waste of existence anyways but it would look terrible and just burn out if it was a xenon. It wouldn't be any harder then switching out a normal bulb I just don't think the result would be worth the process when I can just flick a switch to turn on the xenons. However, if there was a way we could get both on at once with both being xenon bulbs, that would definitely be something I would do. I think that would look awesome possum.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM

Killakam - why do you want DRL's? Scandinavian countries were the first to impose DRL regulations on manufacturers and on consumers. But Scandinavia, which is located in the far northern latitudes (i.e. North Pole,) has much less ambient lighting than the United States, especially in the winter. Naturally, then, DRLs would have a different impact on motorists and on highway safety. Current data on the safety benefits of DRLs has been misinterpreted by proponents of DRLs. They have absolutely no positive effect on bright sunny days. The data should be interpreted thusly: People are not turning on their lights in conditions requiring illumination -- e.g. rain, snow, fog, dusk, dawn, etc. -- and therefore the problem is driver error. The solution, logically, should be driver improvement.

If you really need this as a safety option just TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS...

If this is a cosmetic mod I wouldn't recommend it as DRLs are an inefficient use of resources. Lights will have to be replaced more frequently, fuel consumption will increase and, although it's not much per car, it is an astronomical dollar figure when multiplied by the millions of vehicles in this country. Conservative estimates place the figure at 604 million gallons of fuel per year, resulting in 8 billion pounds of CO2 being exhausted into the atmosphere. What's even worse, in testing vehicles for fuel efficiency, GM has requested -- and received -- permission from the federal government to disconnect DRLs so as not to be penalized for poorer fuel efficiency. So consumers are not able to know how DRLs will affect their fuel efficiency when buying a car. See NHTSA's correspondence with the EPA regarding DRLs' CAFE exemption.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cd9402.pdf

Most people want to disable them... LMAO

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 02-18-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Killakam - why do you want DRL's? Scandinavian countries were the first to impose DRL regulations on manufacturers and on consumers. But Scandinavia, which is located in the far northern latitudes (i.e. North Pole,) has much less ambient lighting than the United States, especially in the winter. Naturally, then, DRLs would have a different impact on motorists and on highway safety. Current data on the safety benefits of DRLs has been misinterpreted by proponents of DRLs. They have absolutely no positive effect on bright sunny days. The data should be interpreted thusly: People are not turning on their lights in conditions requiring illumination -- e.g. rain, snow, fog, dusk, dawn, etc. -- and therefore the problem is driver error. The solution, logically, should be driver improvement.

If you really need this as a safety option just TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS...

If this is a cosmetic mod I wouldn't recommend it as DRLs are an inefficient use of resources. Lights will have to be replaced more frequently, fuel consumption will increase and, although it's not much per car, it is an astronomical dollar figure when multiplied by the millions of vehicles in this country. Conservative estimates place the figure at 604 million gallons of fuel per year, resulting in 8 billion pounds of CO2 being exhausted into the atmosphere. What's even worse, in testing vehicles for fuel efficiency, GM has requested -- and received -- permission from the federal government to disconnect DRLs so as not to be penalized for poorer fuel efficiency. So consumers are not able to know how DRLs will affect their fuel efficiency when buying a car. See NHTSA's correspondence with the EPA regarding DRLs' CAFE exemption.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cd9402.pdf

Most people want to disable them... LMAO
Thank you for that information... The amount of gas that it would waste to use those isn't a big deal as for me it isn't much but I understand you pov if there were going to be millions of people using them.

I actually want them in my car to 1) set myself apart from other maximas, and 2) Because I have seen other cars that are the same color of my in rain conditions, snow conditions, as well as other types of conditions where I was not able to see the car until it was already on my ***. Basically my point is if I can't see them and they have the same car as me then others can't see me. I sometimes to put on my lights manually but I would rather like to have the DRL's in my car instead. Call me lazy but id rather not have to keep on flicking the switches on and off manually and at the same time like I said it will set me apart from other Maximas.

One thing that I was thinking about trying is possibly switching out the high-beam bulb with a dual bulb kinda like the bi-xenon bulbs. Perhaps once the car recognizes that there is a dual bulb connected to the socket it will automatically us the DRL. Since I already have the fuse from the factory in the DRL spot this might be all that has to be done. Anyone willing to try it?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
One thing that I was thinking about trying is possibly switching out the high-beam bulb with a dual bulb kinda like the bi-xenon bulbs. Perhaps once the car recognizes that there is a dual bulb connected to the socket it will automatically us the DRL. Since I already have the fuse from the factory in the DRL spot this might be all that has to be done. Anyone willing to try it?
It just doesn't work like that. The high beam is a 9005 bulb, which is a single filament. The connector in for it is only for a single filament. There are no dual-filament bulbs that fit in 9005.

The way DRL works is that it runs the same bulbs as the highbeams, but at a reduced output. Getting some hacked-together "bi-xenon" bulb to fit in there will not work correctly. There's still only one filament, and only one connection in there.

I'm not a 7th gen expert, so i don't know the specifics of whether there is a way to enable the DRL system, but I do know that the DRL system is located somewhere within the headlight harness wiring, not the bulb itself. Changing the bulb or bulb connector is irrelevant to the DRLs.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:04 AM

I actually want them in my car to 1) set myself apart from other maximas, and 2) Because I have seen other cars that are the same color of my in rain conditions, snow conditions, as well as other types of conditions where I was not able to see the car until it was already on my ***. Basically my point is if I can't see them and they have the same car as me then others can't see me.
I don't think that anybody is arguing otherwise (though I might point out as a "flip side" that if you're driving lights out at dusk and pacing a car with lights on and only one of you gets busted for speeding, it's more likely to be the guy with the lights on - BTDT as the guy who didn't get stopped).

Call me lazy but id rather not have to keep on flicking the switches on and off manually and at the same time like I said it will set me apart from other Maximas.
I wouldn't call it laziness as much as I might call it a mindset that expects to be taken care of via technology and through the decisions of others instead of doing whatever themselves. Keep in mind that if everybody had DRL's - you'd still have a condition where nobody would be different.

My son's ex sent this little gem to me, and by strange cosmic coincidence, it was on the same morning that I took a little spill on the ice. It's about developing and keeping the responsibility for yourself with yourself instead of giving it up to others. Self-reliance.

Please think about it with respect to how many decisions that should be yours to make that you're willing to give up.

Those of us born between 1920 and 1979 and survived the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

We took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. . . .

WHY? Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, As long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, No cell phones, No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS. And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of us . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?
Postscript - I picked myself up, dusted myself off, bandaged one little scrape, and went on with life. BTW, I was born in 1947 and wouldn't have handled it any other way. Wouldn't ever want to.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-19-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 AM

Seems to me that if you really want the headlamps lit at less than full brightness instead of just using the "parking lamps", you could splice a circuit into the headlight wiring that would run the low beams at lower voltage (making them dimmer), with relay switching between the DRL and full illumination modes. The first thought that comes to mind would be to wire the two low beam filaments in series making them 12v bulbs being run at 6v . . . shouldn't be all that difficult or expensive.

I might even consider doing something like that, but I'd absolutely keep it under full manual switch control.

Norm
Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM

You can even buy a 50% brightness DRL module and just splice it in

http://www.dozealert.com/Drl_specs.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
SuPeRmOd

i answered your question. Canada requires DRL. So Nissan had to make it for those models. To save money they use identical fuse boxes. Why would they wire the US version if there is no DRL?

Like I stated in the 6th gen version there is a blank spot with no hole, no bulb, and no wiring in the the US version. Some have made their own to copy to CAN version by adding everything.

I am not sure how the 7th gen CAN version DRL is setup, but it s VERY unlikely for Nissan to waste money on wiring the US version to only leave out the fuse. Therefore the dealer is telling the truth. They can't just add something to make your US version have DRL. the parts do not exist.

Not sure if your on the same topic as I am but I just wanted to give alittle input on the fuse for the DRL's. I actually check under my hood where one fuse box is and there is actually a fuse that is already in the DRL spot although I have no idea how to go about getting the DRL's to turn on. Idk if there is certain programing for the car or maybe a relay that is missing.

Anyone have a pic of the back of a Canadian model Maxima? I have an extra headlight that I can take a pic of the back to make a comparison between the two to see if there is anything missing.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
SuPeRmOd

don't most states require you by law to turn on your headlights for this very reason? I know PA requires you to have your headlights on whenever you need to use your wipers. technically DRLs would not satisfy this law anyway. especially since the DRLs I have seen do not activate the taillights.

I have seen too many cars with DRLs driving at night with insufficient lights on in front and NO taillights on.

I actually want them in my car Because I have seen other cars that are the same color of my in rain conditions, snow conditions, as well as other types of conditions where I was not able to see the car until it was already on my ***. Basically my point is if I can't see them and they have the same car as me then others can't see me. I sometimes to put on my lights manually but I would rather like to have the DRL's in my car instead.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM

don't most states require you by law to turn on your headlights for this very reason? I know PA requires you to have your headlights on whenever you need to use your wipers. technically DRLs would not satisfy this law anyway. especially since the DRLs I have seen do not activate the taillights.

I have seen too many cars with DRLs driving at night with insufficient lights on in front and NO taillights on.
yes, I live in NJ and both NJ and PA require you to have headlights on when wipers are on, that is why I love the DRLs because you don't ever have to worry about getting pulled over during the day when its raining because your DRLs are on!

quick story, a few weeks after I got my 2010 SV last year, it was a rainy day here in NJ and I got pulled over by a State Trooper because I didn't have my lights on; this is my biggest gripe with Nissan and Infiniti; while I really don't care that there cars don't have DRLs they really need to though because of states like our that have these laws and because Nissan/Infiniti is pratically the only major automakers in the US that doesn't have DRLs; everyone else, GM, Subaru, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Hyundai, VW/Audi, BMW, and MB all come standard with DRLs and thats why I got pulled over when I first got my Maxima last year

My other car is a 08 TL which has DRLs and I've been driving that awhile so I got used to not having to turn my lights on ever and you get into a pattern; when I got my Max, I completely forgot that Nissan's and Infiniti's don't have DRLs and so I forgot that I had to turn the *** during the day when its raining to put the Xenon headlights on! luckily that state trooper let me get away with just a warning but suffice it to say that incident reminds me to put my light on now when its raining and I'm in my maxima! I jsut wish Nissan and Infinit will get with the program and add DRLs standard to their entire vehicle line just like almost every other automaker has so I don't ever have to remember which one of my vehicles has DRLs and which one doesn't!!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by smarty666
yes, I live in NJ and both NJ and PA require you to have headlights on when wipers are on, that is why I love the DRLs because you don't ever have to worry about getting pulled over during the day when its raining because your DRLs are on!
it's called common sense and responsibility. DRLs are not the answer. might as well make cars cost $100k or more and make everything lack of common sense proof.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM

it's called common sense and responsibility. DRLs are not the answer. might as well make cars cost $100k or more and make everything lack of common sense proof.
common sense and responsibility would dictate if that the rest of the auto industry has DRLs standard on their vehicles then you should do the same

for God sake, auto safety studies have shown that DRLs have saved lives, why do you think Canada requires all vehicles to have them? not because people lack common sense and responsibility but because people are forgetful and they want to keep auto accidents down!

people are human, forgetting to turn the stick was not lacking common sense or responsibility, its called being Forgetful! wouldn't have been a problem if Nissan/Infiniti just put the damn DRLs on like everyone else in the auto industry seems to be able to do; I mean they have to make their products DRL capable for vehicles sold and bought and Canada why not just go the full way and put DRLs bulbs in on all your products?

you sound like you either work for Nissan or Toyota since you make excuses for them and rather blame the consumer! don't you see how that kind of attitude is what has Toyota in such hot water right now!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 PM

I believe you're supposed to turn your normal lights on when it's raining, not just drive with the DRLs.

DRL doesn't turn the tail lights on, and having tail lights on is just as important as headlights on a rainy day, especially if you have a grey car.

So you're too busy to remember to turn on your lowbeams + taillights when it's raining, and you like DRLs because they help you avoid being ticketed when you forget to obey the law?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
I believe you're supposed to turn your normal lights on when it's raining, not just drive with the DRLs.

DRL doesn't turn the tail lights on, and having tail lights on is just as important as headlights on a rainy day, especially if you have a grey car.

So you're too busy to remember to turn on your lowbeams + taillights when it's raining, and you like DRLs because they help you avoid being ticketed when you forget to obey the law?
I don't know what your talking about , before my new Max, I had two cars with DRLs and I've always driven around in the rain with them on for years without putting my regular lights on and never was pulled over, ever!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
SuPeRmOd

I don't know what your talking about , before my new Max, I had two cars with DRLs and I've always driven around in the rain with them on for years without putting my regular lights on and never was pulled over, ever!
so you weren't pulled over... that makes perfect logic that you were legal.

so when you get rear ended... "i have DRLs and never got pulled over!" yeah that would work for your defense.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by nalc

thank you.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 AM

common sense and responsibility would dictate if that the rest of the auto industry has DRLs standard on their vehicles then you should do the same
Common sense and responsibility belong with the driver for things that are within his/her control. As is the degree of risk for either using them at a particular instant in time or not.

For things that are not realistically under end-user control, such as chassis structural and crash performance, responsibility properly belong at the mfr level. When the mfrs or regulations go any further, it's meddling and tends to hasten the rate at which people stop accepting ownership of their own safety.

Norm
Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 AM

wow, I guess I'm the most stupidest, idiotic person on the planet! God forbid I forgot to turn the stick one time to put the lights on, the way you all are acting you'd think I killed someone while I was driving! I'm glad none of you were the cop that day or I def would have gotten a ticket, lol!! Listen, I am a responsible driver, I don't talk on a cell phone while driving, I observe the speed limits and I haven't gotten a ticket or been in any accidents in the 15 years I've been driving so I don't think I'm doing too bad!

I'll tell you all one thing though, not that it is right, and maybe all the companies having DRLs standard wasn't the greatest idea, but I see a considerable amount of people on the road when its raining with only their DRLs on because typically during the day its not dark enough to trigger the automatic lights! Most of the cars I see with their regular lights on are older cars that don't have DRLs or automatic headlights. In hindsight, maybe DRLs have gotten people lazy about their lights, who know!

I am just glad that the cars have gotten advanced enough that if you have to turn the stick to put your regular lights on during the day that if you forget to turn the stick back when you go to get out of the car they have that warning sound that your lights are still on; I remember years and years ago when there was no sound, I don't know how many times I walked away from the car and saw the lights still on and had to go back and shut them off!

Its just a thought, but I'd love to see Nissan and Infiniti do a cool white LED style DRLs similar to Audi but maybe with a different pattern/design that makes it unique to Nissan; that would really make the vehicles stand out and complement their already aggressive/sport body style nature! that would really make Nissan ad Infiniti stand out from the rest of the Japanese competition since Honda and Toyota only use boring low intensity halogen DRLs! well just a thought, peace out!

Last edited by smarty666; 02-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM
SuPeRmOd

wasnt calling ya stupid, it's just the type of false logic that seems to become more prevalent. I was just giving the other pov.

i figure nissan doesnt do it to save money on their part and perhaps to save some on gas mileage ratings. I like the idea of DRLs to some extent, but just dont like when it becomes a problem as you described.

I really don't see how you guys can wire them like the CAN version unless someone really looks into it. check out some of the 6th gens that used LED strips.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 PM

wow, I guess I'm the most stupidest, idiotic person on the planet! God forbid I forgot to turn the stick one time to put the lights on,
It's not the idea that you might occasionally forget to put your lights on that bothers me. I've been known to forget once in a while, too.

It's your stubborn belief that somebody (or something) else should bear the responsibility of doing it for you that I find fault with. Neither of us has been a baby in need of round-the-clock parental protection for at least two decades. Time to "grow up".

FWIW, if I was a cop - like the state trooper that you mentioned I'd have figured that a simple roadside reminder to do so in the future would be worth more in terms of developing the desired behavior than a citation ever would. Five minutes of my time, and five minutes of yours that with any luck ought to last a lifetime. So I wouldn't have ticketed you either.

Norm
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It's not the idea that you might occasionally forget to put your lights on that bothers me. I've been known to forget once in a while, too.

It's your stubborn belief that somebody (or something) else should bear the responsibility of doing it for you that I find fault with. Neither of us has been a baby in need of round-the-clock parental protection for at least two decades. Time to "grow up".

FWIW, if I was a cop - like the state trooper that you mentioned I'd have figured that a simple roadside reminder to do so in the future would be worth more in terms of developing the desired behavior than a citation ever would. Five minutes of my time, and five minutes of yours that with any luck ought to last a lifetime. So I wouldn't have ticketed you either.

Norm
I'm sorry I got so defensive I see what you and the other guy are saying and I agree with you; in fact your right, the state trooper pulling me over to remind me of my lights was great in fact!! since it happened right after I got my Max, I haven't forgotten since!! because whenever it rains now and I'm in my Max I remember that day!!

Like I was telling the other guy, I actually think DRLs have made people like me and many others lazy in regards to turning on the lights when its raining and its not dark enough for the automatic headlights to come on! The last couple cars I had with DRLs spoiled me to the point that it wasn't till I had my Max that it reminded me of the good old days back in the 80s and 90s when you didn't have DRLs and automatic headlights and you had to turn the stick! But like I said, a good majority of people I see on the road now with newer cars that have DRLs only have the DRLs on when its raining and not their regular lights, again indicating the lazy convient nature DRLs have instowed in drivers!

Something I've been meaning to do is play around with the automatic headlight senstivity control in the harddrive; I think I have it set right now at the lowest sensitivity so that they only come on when its really dark out! if I switch it to the most sensitive it might be enough that when its a dark gray dreary day, with rain, it might be enough for the lights to come on by themselves -will have to see! if not, just a quick second to turn the stick will take its place!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Except it doesn't cost much to just put DRL's in vehicles. I agree with him that all other manufactures have DRL's in their vehicles so y has Nissan and Infiniti not used them?

It has nothing to do with common sense or responsibility. If I lived in a state where the law was to have DRL's I would pay the extra or w.e. it would be to have that option. Reason being is sometimes you just forget to put them on and also if you use the lights enough they will die out and if its not completely dark out you have no way of knowing when your lights burnt out until you get pulled over.

and sorry for the older max owners on the site no disrespect to you what so ever but since technology is advancing that is how things are. Nissan is in a sense behind by not allowing DRL's to be put in US vehicles. This is the 21st Century I think by now our lights to work for us DRL's on when light and Lights on when Dark w/o the drivers having to worry about it.

Nismo - in my honest opinion you are a rude SOB and you have no business being a admin or mod or w.e. you are. You have no statistics about wether or not DRL save lives, your thinking old fashion with turning the lights on yourself and crap. The maxima is a $35K car and Infiniti vehicles are more and we should get what we pay for. My stand point is that DRL's are a safety feature and I agree with a previous post; "If DRL's don't save lives why is it required that all Canadian vehicles have them standard?", if you can find me logical and actual answer based on research for that one the perhaps I will listen to you otherwise your opinion is pointless.

Last edited by KillaKam; 02-21-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM

Reason being is sometimes you just forget to put them on and also if you use the lights enough they will die out and if its not completely dark out you have no way of knowing when your lights burnt out until you get pulled over.
What? That sentence isn't coherent at all.

My stand point is that DRL's are a safety feature and I agree with a previous post; "If DRL's don't save lives why is it required that all Canadian vehicles have them standard?", if you can find me logical and actual answer based on research for that one the perhaps I will listen to you otherwise your opinion is pointless.
Most DRL safety studies have occurred in northern latitudes. Finland, most notably.

The further away from the equator you go, the darker it is. In those countries closer to the North pole, the days are shorter and darker.

It's obvious that even here in the United States, if it's a very overcast day, or near dawn or dusk, especially in the winter months, having your lights on can make you far more visible to other drivers.

In Canada or Finland, it's darker during the day than it is here, so DRLs help.

However, the US is brighter, so they'd only really be effective in the winter months or on very cloudy days. If it's not semi-dark out, they don't really help.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 AM

Well the point about the lights coming on with the wipers is a bit of a peeve of mine.(DRLs tend to confuse me...I don't know whither a funeral is going by with a lot of well wishers or if the driver forgot to turn off her lights or if really bad weather is ahead.) All my (non nissan) cars over the last decade/decade and a half have had the feature where when the wipers go on "steady" or "intermittent for x time" the lights would come on. Why Nissan didn't put this in their line is perplexing and a bit annoying...especially if the are going to turn my lights on/off with the changing light!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 AM

Except it doesn't cost much to just put DRL's in vehicles. I agree with him that all other manufactures have DRL's in their vehicles so y has Nissan and Infiniti not used them?

It has nothing to do with common sense or responsibility. If I lived in a state where the law was to have DRL's I would pay the extra or w.e. it would be to have that option. Reason being is sometimes you just forget to put them on and also if you use the lights enough they will die out and if its not completely dark out you have no way of knowing when your lights burnt out until you get pulled over.

and sorry for the older max owners on the site no disrespect to you what so ever but since technology is advancing that is how things are. Nissan is in a sense behind by not allowing DRL's to be put in US vehicles. This is the 21st Century I think by now our lights to work for us DRL's on when light and Lights on when Dark w/o the drivers having to worry about it.

Nismo - in my honest opinion you are a rude SOB and you have no business being a admin or mod or w.e. you are. You have no statistics about wether or not DRL save lives, your thinking old fashion with turning the lights on yourself and crap. The maxima is a $35K car and Infiniti vehicles are more and we should get what we pay for. My stand point is that DRL's are a safety feature and I agree with a previous post; "If DRL's don't save lives why is it required that all Canadian vehicles have them standard?", if you can find me logical and actual answer based on research for that one the perhaps I will listen to you otherwise your opinion is pointless.
Agree with you completely!! I think Nissan and Infiniti is missing out on huge opportunity here with DRLs to make their vehicles stand out even further then they are compared to their other japanese competition; for instance, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, and Mazda all use boring low watt halogen bulbs for their DRLs that frankly r quite boring; considering how great Nissan has been with really cool red LED taillights on the Rogue, Maxima, Murano, G37, M, EX, and FX I think Nissan and Infiniti should do a cool white LED setup up front, similar to Audi but with a different design and pattern! I think that could really complement the Max and the Infiniti line since for year, Nissan and Infiniti have come up with some pretty cool looking patterns for their red LED tailights, from circles, to squares to waves, to a slash (which is kinda of what is on the new max!!!) oh well, here is to hoping!!

Last edited by smarty666; 02-22-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 AM

It has everything to do with common sense and responsibility. The reason that DRL's are even available is because some entity/entities decided that too many people lacked a sufficient degree of either quality to turn some lights on when it was appropriate to do so. Period.

Just because something CAN be accomplished using higher technology than necessary (in this case, turning on a few lamps that are all wired to one switch) does not necessarily mean that it's a good thing to do it that way

Do not underestimate the "unintended consequences" here, or try to gloss over them under the misguided assumption that high-tech solutions are always and without exception superior (maybe I should remind you of Toyota's recent difficulties).

Anyway, and back to DRL's, the driver error involved is an error of omission, where the driver doesn't actively do the wrong thing but simply forgets to do the right thing. At least it's not as bad as the errors of commission – where the activity can under some circumstances be exactly the wrong thing to do. Some of the things that are being "taught" by other high-tech automotive developments already in place (and how to best drive with them) are precisely the wrong things to do should that system go inop. If you think a bit, maybe you'll figure out what I'm referring to.

I suppose that DRL's could be considered a safety feature for the "lowest common denominator drivers" among us - the ones whose driving credentials consist of little more than having a pulse rate greater than zero and vision that's only slightly better than being able to tell light from dark. I'd argue that anybody who can't get right something as simple as turning on some lights, at least most of the time, maybe shouldn't be driving at all. It's not that difficult of a task.

Allowing or helping the "dumbing down" of driver awareness and skill by making the tasks of driving only a little more involved than sitting in your living room chair watching TV can't possibly be a good thing. Don't get me started on the thought that requiring less of the driver to actually drive leaves more room to multitask while behind the wheel.

Learn to trust yourself.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-22-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Wat

DRLs were created for one sole purpose, to make vehicles more conspicuous in areas where there is frequent daytime inclement weather. Period. End of Discussion. They were not adopted here in the US due to concerns of glare (since we have a huge population of SUVs whose highbeams point directly into side/rearview mirrors). GM enabled them on all vehicles (along with BMW for quite some time) in order to save money on production.

They were not created to idiot proof cars. In fact, if you're caught ANYWHERE in the US driving at night or in inclement weather requiring the use of wipers with DRLs only you will be cited.

Canada requires them because it snows there, lots. I understand it doesnt snow everywhere all the time, but it's easier to write blanket legislation than it is to do case by case stuff. Same goes for most scandinavian countries.

The UK uses a different system (dipped beams, or headlights running at 20% when the sidemarkers are switched on), as does Japan (city lights).
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM

I am so used to how nice my low beam d2s stock HID's look... i wish my DRL's could look the same way somehow. they are an ugly yellowish color compared to my HIDs. I guess there is no way im going to get my DRLs to look anything like my HIDs for now. All I can do is cruise with my low beams on...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 PM

I have read through all of the postings here, and will add this.
I tend to drive with my headlights on - white car in the Florida sun - no one seems to see it.. I also know that in Florida the law is that if your wipers are on your LOW BEAMS must be on, also in 'fog or other in climate weather you must have LOW beams on, not DRLs, LOW BEAMS, as this also turns on your rear CLEARANCE lights. DRL really only help people see you from the front, the rain and fog both make it hard for people to see you from the rear too...
Just my thoughts on this subject.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 PM

No U.S. state mandates DRLs, although some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather.

Laws in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden require vehicles to operate with lights on during the daytime. There are two types of laws. Canada's requires vehicles to be equipped with DRLs. The other type of law in effect in Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden requires motorists to turn on their headlights if their vehicles do not have automatic DRLs. This kind of law applies to drivers only, and vehicles do not have to be specially equipped. In 1972, Finland mandated daytime running lights in winter on rural roads and a decade later made DRLs mandatory year-round. Sweden's law took effect in 1977, Norway's in 1986, Iceland's in 1988, and Denmark's in 1990. Hungary has required drivers on rural roads to operate with vehicle lights on since 1993. Canada requires DRLs for vehicles made after December 1, 1989.

No where else are DRL's required. With the millions of registered cars/trucks on the road around the globe the countries where DRL's are required is a very minor number. If it was really all that important in rainy conditions how come the UK of all places doesn't even mandate DRL's?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM

I've decided to add a poll to this. Many of you seem to not agree with the DRL and I agree with many of the arguments. One of which is that is wastes gas. Because of that I have added in an LED DRL alternative such as a design that the Audis have one them. Vote and lets see where the numbers end up. The poll will close in 30 days.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Regarding this thread, do the "inner-most" bulbs on the head lights light up at all on this car? Or are they useless?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 AM

Just got my 2011 Maxima a month ago and loving it. I read this entire thread and didn't see the solution I came up with while driving my 2009 Mercury Sable. It works on the Maxima as well. There is a light sensor on the dashboard that turns on the headlights when you have them set to auto. It's on the passenger side of the dash. Looks like a button mounted on the speaker. There is an identical one on the driver's side. That one is for the auto climate control.

Anyway, I just cover the sensor on the passenger side with one of those plastic sticky pads that would hold your cell phone to the dash. Anything that blocks the light will do. It fools the car into thinking it's nighttime and turns on the headlights and keeps them on. One of the 1st things I looked for when I got my new Maxima.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by duke56; 11-30-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Maxima Owner

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my dealer told me a quick way to always have your lights on....leave them on AUTO and put black electrical tape over the sensor on the passenger side dash where it meets the windshield
Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 AM

I just installed actual DRL's, insurance gave me a discount too for having em

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

very nice Ghozt!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 AM

Just because some insurance companies may be offering a discount for DRLs still doesn't make them all that great of an idea. They've been known to do the same thing as a knee-jerk reaction on other matters, only to repeal it later after more data was in.

I really don't understand why anybody who is enthusiastic enough about cars to spend time on an internet forum discussing automotive matters - would actually prefer to let somebody else decide when their lights were on.

Abandoning individual responsibility here is equivalent to a slight "dumbing down" of your attitude as a driver, which can be freely translated as "generally less aware as a driver". Those who (as mentioned by smarty almost two years ago) fail to realize that DRLs are not headlights (and that the taillights aren't lit at all) during inclement weather or at dusk are the poster children for this sort of obliviousness.

Norm

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Lights