7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Stillen or Racingline Strut Bar
Stillen
32.61%
RacingLine
67.39%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Strut Bar Racingline vs Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by trix_05
Do update us DMCfirestar500, looking forward to hearing about your experience!
Oh I definitely will. I'm taking a 3 day weekend because my birthday is on saturday and will need 2 full days to recover so I have off monday. Hopefully it will come early in the morning and I will be able to get some testing pre and post FSTB while there is still light out.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Installed my STILLEN FSTB today. The paint came out real good, better than I anticipated. At first i didnt know if I chose a finish that was too flat. I am extremely happy with the results, and think it would be in their best interest if STILLEN offered it in black to begin with... Anyways, here it is:

Oh and I took the pics in the dark with an Iphone 3GS, hence why the pics are so grainy... that camera sucks...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM

looks good, how did you cut out the plastic peices so evenly on the passenger side, i was wondering what to use when my strunt bar comes in
Old 12-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DMCfirestar500
Sorry my mistake, mine is scheduled for Monday delivery as well. Was tracking 3 packages at the same time and mixed two of them up. Got home yesterday to a 2lb package and thought wow those strut tower bars really are light lol.
lol....yea shipping to the usa takes a while from racingline since they are a company based in canada
Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM

**** stillen
Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by choiiiiiiiiiii
**** stillen
LOL ok.... does that mean you don't like what I did?

1sik - it was a pain. I wish they included a template. Seems like something simple to include that would save a headache. I took a sharpie and tried my best to get the outline of the mount on the underside of the cover. then i used a razor and went like an inch all around my marking. It is straight because I tried to make it as square as possible, no real technique.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Installed my STILLEN FSTB today. The paint came out real good, better than I anticipated. At first i didnt know if I chose a finish that was too flat. I am extremely happy with the results, and think it would be in their best interest if STILLEN offered it in black to begin with... Anyways, here it is:

Oh and I took the pics in the dark with an Iphone 3GS, hence why the pics are so grainy... that camera sucks...
Looks great! Nice job looks very OEM. You should send a nice picture to Josh at Stillen.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Looks great! Nice job looks very OEM. You should send a nice picture to Josh at Stillen.
Thanks alot! I already sent Josh a message haha. I must say that I do like the look of STILLEN's alot more than RLines ONLY when its painted black. The aluminum look, like you said earlier, seems a bit 'ricey' in an all-black plastic engine bay.

A little feedback for those on the fence about getting a FSTB: I am very surprised at how noticable the difference is. The car seems much more stable and LOVES to be tossed through corners. The steering and handling has a much nicer feel.

Next week is the rear sway bar install... I'm hoping that will have a huge impact on handling, especially when paired with the FSTB
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ANNINO

looking good. i was thinking of doing the same to mine. what kinda paint did you use? regular flat black paint?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kmoney
looking good. i was thinking of doing the same to mine. what kinda paint did you use? regular flat black paint?
Thanks, I used Black Rustoleum High Heat Grill spraypaint. Hit the parts with a 3M red pad first to scuff them up. The paint loved the surfaces. I sprayed them outside then threw them in my closet right under the HVAC vent to cure in 68-70 degree dry air. The results were really good, you cant really tell that it is just rustoleum.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM

thanks....
Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been doingg some research about strut bars for my 2002 Maxima and from what I have seen on this forum so far, I think the Racingline Strutbar looks more sturdy and good than Stillen. So I have to say RACINGLINE.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by quietbone
I have been doingg some research about strut bars for my 2002 Maxima and from what I have seen on this forum so far, I think the Racingline Strutbar looks more sturdy and good than Stillen. So I have to say RACINGLINE.
welcome to the 7thGen thread

I'm still sticking with the bush-league Stillen. They're my bishes.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by quietbone
and they make it in a nice polished finish
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 AM

I will be coming up on one year with my Racingline FSTB. I have had zero problems and it still looks as good as it did the first day I opened the package. If there are any Canadians out there Racingline is Canadian if you want to keep your money in Canada.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
I will be coming up on one year with my Racingline FSTB. I have had zero problems and it still looks as good as it did the first day I opened the package. If there are any Canadians out there Racingline is Canadian if you want to keep your money in Canada.
Same here still one year and good as new
Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM

How would you guys compare this purchase vs. a rear sway bar. Which would you recommend first...or would you recommend both???
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by trix_05
How would you guys compare this purchase vs. a rear sway bar. Which would you recommend first...or would you recommend both???
if you have to get them on separate occasions, I'd get the sway bay first. You'll notice that much more than the strut bar

If you want looks more than functionality, get the strut brace first as people can see it

I have both

Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Help

Ok I tried to install the RacingLine Strut Bar today and the strut holes shifted on the left side but the right side is fine. The manual says the jack the effected corner up to line the holes back up. I jacked the left side of the car up and nothing, I did the right side nothing. I even jacked up the left side and took the rim off and the holes would not budge. Anyone know how to align the holes back up?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure the nuts are loose on the 3 top bolts, from there once the affected side if off the ground you should be able to just grab the strut/spring with your hand and wobble it around until you can get the holes to line up again. You'll likely want to line them up one at a time starting with the one closest to the engine bay. Put the bracket on with the supplied 8mm bolt just a few threads, do not tighten the bolt. From the wobble the strut around until you can do the same with the middle bolt. Once those 2 are in line then you should have no troubles putting the car down and finishing off the install
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Racingline makes a fantastic FSTB for the 5th gens. Everyone who gets one seems very happy with the design, appearance and functionality.

There are about 60 of us who have polled interested on Racingline's new Rear Strut Tower Brace (RSTB).

We're all looking forward to that.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Racingline
Make sure the nuts are loose on the 3 top bolts, from there once the affected side if off the ground you should be able to just grab the strut/spring with your hand and wobble it around until you can get the holes to line up again. You'll likely want to line them up one at a time starting with the one closest to the engine bay. Put the bracket on with the supplied 8mm bolt just a few threads, do not tighten the bolt. From the wobble the strut around until you can do the same with the middle bolt. Once those 2 are in line then you should have no troubles putting the car down and finishing off the install
I tried that and I was able to get the bolt in that was closest to the engine bay. I could not move the strut anymore for the other two bolts, it didn't just wobble around, it was extremely hard to move. I just wound up taking my car into the dealer this morning where they put it back to stock free of charge (I actually love my service department).

So I'm back at square one, attempting to do it again....check your pm's.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Did anyone measure for the cuts they made to the plastic covers that fit around the strut bar? I haven't put mine back in yet and would like to cut them to fit but can't really tell how far in I need to cut or how wide. Does anyone have those measurements?

Last edited by Ghozt; 02-12-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Did anyone measure for the cuts they made to the plastic covers that fit around the strut bar? I haven't put mine back in yet and would like to cut them to fit but can't really tell how far in I need to cut or how wide. Does anyone have those measurements?
did you ever get this infor
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by k757
if you have to get them on separate occasions, I'd get the sway bay first. You'll notice that much more than the strut bar

If you want looks more than functionality, get the strut brace first as people can see it

I have both

Me too and put them both on at the same time along with my Eibach Pro Kit and I immediately noticed a handling difference, overall improvement in cornering, less bounciness when going over bumps due to a lower center of gravity which in turn reduced the swashbuckling side to side movement up top.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport
did you ever get this infor
Didn't. Also curious what people use to cut the plastic so the edges don't look like garbage? For now I'm holding off on putting these back in until I can do it right and have them look nice.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
Didn't. Also curious what people use to cut the plastic so the edges don't look like garbage? For now I'm holding off on putting these back in until I can do it right and have them look nice.
i installed mine strut bar yesterday sence it was 60 degrees and didnt do my covers either im thinking that if you unbolt one side at a time and place the cover in place with the bar up and place the bar over the cover you can trace a outline to the size needed to be cut ,as for how to cut it i would tape the area up with painter tape and drill a small pilot hole at the corners and just use a new sharp knife blade to cut.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 AM

I've cut my driver side piece quite a bit now. I have it fit perfectly and it is cut about to the point where the Racingline strut bar starts tapering down and getting lower. Still doesn't fit though because of the bracket that comes with this strut bar...the front of the plastic piece is pushed upwards making it look wack. Looks like the Stillen strut bar is WAY easier to cut the plastic pieces around due to the height it sits at.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM

I have been thinking about getting the racingline but they have been out of stock for some time now!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM

Wow, was going to go Stillen but after seeing the images of the two, the Racingline looks much better built. Not only the three points mounting but just a much stronger looking design all in all.

I am new here and have been a fan of Stillen for a while (working at a Nissan dealer), but damn, lately it seems that their is definitely some nicer products out there. Especially after reading all the stuff about their exhaust system rusting. That's just not acceptable.

I think they are a great company and build an excellent product, but you would think paying a premium would hands down give you a nicer looking product and something that we are all very confident surpasses any other brand hands down. Racingline it is for me. What a great looking FSTB! Thanks for the images guys!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Has anyone heard of having to cut the plastic cover to let the Racingline Strut bar ends attach to the 3 bolts? I don't think the Stillen makes you do this....Can anyone confirm this on both? Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

both bars require cutting of the plastic. The Racingline bar just requires a bit more cutting
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Racingline
both bars require cutting of the plastic. The Racingline bar just requires a bit more cutting
I tried cutting one of my strut tower covers then gave up after 30 mins. Kinda enjoyed looking at the 3-point mounting brackets of the Racingline FSTB
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by drknght
Ok I tried to install the RacingLine Strut Bar today and the strut holes shifted on the left side but the right side is fine. The manual says the jack the effected corner up to line the holes back up. I jacked the left side of the car up and nothing, I did the right side nothing. I even jacked up the left side and took the rim off and the holes would not budge. Anyone know how to align the holes back up?
I'm having the same issue, cannot install the left side brackets..holes not lining up..right side was a breeze..
Guys who have installed the RacingLine Strut bar, is there something else i should be trying..
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by gtmassive75
I'm having the same issue, cannot install the left side brackets..holes not lining up..right side was a breeze..
Guys who have installed the RacingLine Strut bar, is there something else i should be trying..
Yeah, passenger side bracket was kind of a biatch to line up. Had to jack up the pass. front wheel and have a friend move the strut around before it lined up right. Even then, it was a VERY snug fit for one of the strut bolts. Just be very careful that you don't strip the starter threads on the bolts they supply like I almost did
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Thx will give it a shot.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Good to know that both need minor cutting done or just leave plastic off.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 AM

this thread is old, but made my decision.. Racingline looks much cleaner...
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM

I ordered mine today racingline fstb in black.$115.75 shipped. Now am waiting on a stillen lip and fstb!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM

I am looking to order the strut bar and rear sway from racingline. I feel like the car is too "floaty". Will these mods help as I do not want to do springs.

Quick Reply: Strut Bar Racingline vs Stillen