7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Stillen or Racingline Strut Bar
Stillen
32.61%
RacingLine
67.39%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Strut Bar Racingline vs Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Strut Bar Racingline vs Stillen

Which strut bar would you get?

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=23

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 06-12-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM

This is an interesting poll being that most people only put one Strut Tower Brace in their vehicle and it can also vary drastically depending on the application. Would you rather spend a bit more money for a bit more widely known name brand? That is your decision. IMO it should be "Which Strut Tower Brace Do You Have?"
Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 PM

I have the black racingline FSTB it fit perfectly and looks OEM which I like immensely, i.e. no ricer...

Last edited by MaxLoverAz; 07-13-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 AM

Honestly Racingline's look more stock and both serve the same purpose but I think my Stillen looks cool and more like a mod which stands out when you pop the hood but to each his own.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM

For those of you who have the Stillen strut bar, what's your thoughts on it? I have a premium edition and I'm looking for a little better handling, plus i got some stillen bucks to spend.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Those that have them, can you post up any pictures, I had one on my 06 and never liked th idea of bending the AC line.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM

ics:
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Those that have them, can you post up any pictures, I had one on my 06 and never liked th idea of bending the AC line.
If you want pics there is a thread looming around the 7th gen forum here with pics I just can't remember which one. As for the bending of the AC line, I have no idea what you are talking about. My install took (well should have took but that is another story) maybe 10 minutes with the most time being spent on removal of the plastic covers. No bending of anything was done to install the FSTB.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
If you want pics there is a thread looming around the 7th gen forum here with pics I just can't remember which one. As for the bending of the AC line, I have no idea what you are talking about. My install took (well should have took but that is another story) maybe 10 minutes with the most time being spent on removal of the plastic covers. No bending of anything was done to install the FSTB.
Very nice thanks for the info, I'll google it and see if it comes up, I was just concerned with the install, on Stillen site it says something about cutting or trimming a plastic cover, plus I hate the fact that Stillen is so large and does not have pics of the installed product, I want a straight bolt on, no hassle, I did enough stuff to my other Maxima to not want to do anything to this car but that is slowly wearing off
Old 07-24-2009, 06:08 PM

what perfomance gains did anyone see with the stillen strutbar?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM

I looked at both and decided to go with stillen. Juts ordered
Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 PM

I have the polished Racingline strut bar and think it looks a lot better than stillen's. The fit is perfect and I like the increased steering sensitivity. The car is also a little more tossable in the twisties.

Last edited by madstylez; 10-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanx for the Pics.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:49 PM

I am looking to do this as well. One question though, other than over design/style which one is better or are they roughly the same?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaxSleeper
I am looking to do this as well. One question though, other than over design/style which one is better or are they roughly the same?
Both are the same, pick the Racingline if you want the OEM/Stock look or Stillen for the Racer/Ricer.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Both are the same, pick the Racingline if you want the OEM/Stock look or Stillen for the Racer/Ricer.
interesting take...Stillen = ricer? hahah anyway, here is a snapshot of the Stillen, so you can compare

Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by k757
interesting take...Stillen = ricer? hahah anyway, here is a snapshot of the Stillen, so you can compare
No taking anything away I like Stillen it just truly looks like a bolt-on with the brackets sticking up, etc. The racingline is lower tucked into the covers, just blends in better.

The Stillen CAI looks OEM very professional looking I love how it blends in using the existing air intake duct.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
No taking anything away I like Stillen it just truly looks like a bolt-on with the brackets sticking up, etc. The racingline is lower tucked into the covers, just blends in better.

The Stillen CAI looks OEM very professional looking I love how it blends in using the existing air intake duct.
I concur. The Racingline looks sharp and classy. The Stillen looks rather ricey/ honda civic-ey. Kind of matches the $5000 spoilers on their hatchbacks
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Stillen vs Racing Line

Hello All, I joined the forum a few weeks ago after having purchased an '09 Max and have been lurking around ever since.....loving it so far.

I'm contemplating the purcahse of a strut bar and sway bars as one of my first mods. Up til now I was leaning towards the Stillen strut bar, but the Racingline looks just as nice.

Would the posters of the pic's mind posting same pics without the plastic covers if they get a chance? I'm interested to see a comparison of the mounts, that might sway me one way or the other.

Not to jack this thread, but anyone replace any of their OEM bushings with better performance polyurethane bushins? Are any kits available that you know of? I've been searching but haven't seen any kits as yet.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by smeegle
Would the posters of the pic's mind posting same pics without the plastic covers if they get a chance? I'm interested to see a comparison of the mounts, that might sway me one way or the other.

Thanks.
Here you go, Racingline on Left vs Stillen Bracket on right

Old 11-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Well just ordered my Racingline earlier this morning and has been shipped already. Hopefully I will have it within a couple days and installed. Did anyone have any unexpected hang-ups with the installation that I might want to look out for? And I am guessing the directions are fairly straight forward without anything being left?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Racingline
Here you go, Racingline on Left vs Stillen Bracket on right

Thanks!

Seems to me the Racingline product has a better mounting system than the Stillen. Spread the load over 3 points as compare to Stillen's 2, with one point being directly on one of the mounts...Looks like I'll be leaning towards the Racingline now..thanks again.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i agree racingline looks like the better set up. that`s a shame because i`ve always bought stillen equipment for my infiniti and nissan vehicles. i just bought the stillen intake and it`s intoxicating when i`m on the throttle, but i`m going to pass on the stillen strut bar and go with racingline in chrome.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Buncha questions

Racing Line,

I’ve since visited your web-site and getting closer to making a decision on a few things. For example, I’m interested in the your strut bar, I’m also interested in your Fron and Rear Endlinks (http://racinglineperformance.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=23). I’m even interested in Front and Rear Sway bars, but looks like you don’t have any? Before I decide on any purchase, I have a few questions to ask. I was going to pm you but I thought others may have the same questions, so I’m posting them here….

Q1. Why doesn’t your site list Front/Rear sway bars, do you not carry them? If you do, what info can you provide (thickness, solid/hollow, etc..) and how much $.
Q2. Your Endlinks are adjustable, how does one know what length to start with? Should we just match the OEM length at first and go from there?
Q3. Would we notice a performance gain if we started off with the same length? If so, how much if a gain in your estimation? How much gain with any of these upgrages? Any way to back up the claims in performance gain, or will we just have to see if for ourselves?
Q4. Are all the aforementioned upgrades okay for the DIY’r install? I mean are these parts put together under load, they don’t look to be (I’ve never attempted it before)? They won’t spring in my face when I’m taking them off will they? Not that I couldn’t use some reconstructive surgery here and there…
Q5. As a forum member, are we privy to any discounts? Christmas is coming ya know..

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:20 AM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Answers in quotes,

Q1. Why doesn’t your site list Front/Rear sway bars, do you not carry them? If you do, what info can you provide (thickness, solid/hollow, etc..) and how much $.

We will be releasing a rear sway bar very soon. specs are similar to our Altima Coupe sway bar @ 22mm Solid alloy steel with adjustable settings. It will no doubt be the highest performing bar available. It will also come with new polyurethane bushings

Q2. Your Endlinks are adjustable, how does one know what length to start with? Should we just match the OEM length at first and go from there?

You want them to be as close to 90 degrees as possible when installed. your suspension setup will dictate the length of the links. Once at 90 degrees the longer you make them will add preload to them, making the sway bars even more responsive.

Q3. Would we notice a performance gain if we started off with the same length? If so, how much if a gain in your estimation? How much gain with any of these upgrages? Any way to back up the claims in performance gain, or will we just have to see if for ourselves?

The links are the exact same ones fount on the altima and previous generation Maximas, you need only search to hear the testimonies to the product. Among the 6th gen maxima and the entire altima community, these endlinks are widely recommended. During initial R&D they were put through there passes at Mosport international raceway.

As for the performance, ( short version)-- both front and rear will become more responsive and exhibit improved sway control. The front will also provide greater steering feel and feedback through the steering wheel.

Q4. Are all the aforementioned upgrades okay for the DIY’r install? I mean are these parts put together under load, they don’t look to be (I’ve never attempted it before)? They won’t spring in my face when I’m taking them off will they? Not that I couldn’t use some reconstructive surgery here and there…

Install on all these items is very simple and straight forward with simple hand tools in your driveway.

Q5. As a forum member, are we privy to any discounts? Christmas is coming ya know..

I considered forum discounts but decided against it because offering them only suggests that we were not giving you the best price possible in the first place, something Racingline has striven for. Look deep into these forums and you'll see that Racingline was started and formed directly through this forum and the NissanClub forum by a member of the community, not a corporate entity looking for the next emerging market.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Racingline
Answers in quotes,
Thanks. Will you let us know when the sway bars become avialable. I'll mostly likely purchase all at the same time...
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 PM

I'm looking forward to the release of the RSB. Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Quick question... I have never really added anything to my maximas, but am considering adding a strut bar. I have never had one, so do you sacrifice any ride quality or anything by adding one? Or is it pretty much a win-win, better handling but no negative impacts.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 AM

The Racingline is insanely light and extremely strong, and it's a perfect fit. Really, it's an impressive mechanical design. The only FSTB more impressive was the old Cattman Ti-bar, may she rest in peace.

The Stillen is edgy (ricey), adjustable and expensive. (Everything Stillen is expensive.) That doesn't always mean value, but it does mean bragging rights that you spent the most money possible. If that's your thing, by all means: Stillen.

I was fortunate to receive a Racingline FSTB without their logo laser-etched into the surface. It's extremely clean that way. You may want to ask Racingline if that's an option. (um... logo-delete?)

With all that plastic in the 7th Gen engine bay, I think the Racingline would look fantastic in powder-coated black.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-23-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm going to order the STILLEN Sway bar / FSTB. A little black paint and I will be happy with the look I think. Def not going to keep it the aluminum color. Blacking it out will be a must.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just ordered the Racingline Strut Bar for $99.99 (total was $115.60 with $15.61 s/h) during their 2 Day Black Friday Sale. I bought the polished one; wanted the black one but is out of stock.

The $30 reduction might convince some of those who are still on the fence. It sure helped me!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:50 AM

^^yep just ordered my racingline strunt bar (polished) as well 30 bucks off is an excellent discount
Old 11-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Looks like Racingline is out-of-stock....my bad luck...I might have to wait til Christmas...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM

I just got my STILLEN FSTB today and wow, it really is a beautiful looking product. The quality is spectacular. I am painting the bar and two brackets matte black, and after the first coat (which was a PITA in the cold...had to spray quick then run the wet parts back into the 68 degree apartment) it looks awesome. The STILLEN logo is engraved deep, so it will still show up through the black paint. It is gonna look really good I think. Ill post pics as soon as I have it installed.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Thanks!

Seems to me the Racingline product has a better mounting system than the Stillen. Spread the load over 3 points as compare to Stillen's 2, with one point being directly on one of the mounts...Looks like I'll be leaning towards the Racingline now..thanks again.
Racingline's mount does LOOK sturdier, but remember that the Max already has a brace of sorts that goes to the firewall. The FSTB completes the triangulation - If you look at the picture the upper bolt on R-lines mount most likely wont see much of a load. To me it seems redundant - which isn't a bad thing by any means - but I think the STILLEN mount should still be more than sufficient.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
I just got my STILLEN FSTB today and wow, it really is a beautiful looking product. The quality is spectacular. I am painting the bar and two brackets matte black, and after the first coat (which was a PITA in the cold...had to spray quick then run the wet parts back into the 68 degree apartment) it looks awesome. The STILLEN logo is engraved deep, so it will still show up through the black paint. It is gonna look really good I think. Ill post pics as soon as I have it installed.
that should look good, i cant wait to see the pics
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 AM

I ordered the racingline bar on the black friday sale. Tracking looks like it should be here today. I will be taking the back way through the hills and twisties today stock then tomorrow with it on to see how much of a difference I can feel.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DMCfirestar500
I ordered the racingline bar on the black friday sale. Tracking looks like it should be here today. I will be taking the back way through the hills and twisties today stock then tomorrow with it on to see how much of a difference I can feel.
wow how did you get it so fast, i ordered mine 11/27 and the tracking info says i should be getting it 12/7....
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
wow how did you get it so fast, i ordered mine 11/27 and the tracking info says i should be getting it 12/7....
Sorry my mistake, mine is scheduled for Monday delivery as well. Was tracking 3 packages at the same time and mixed two of them up. Got home yesterday to a 2lb package and thought wow those strut tower bars really are light lol.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Do update us DMCfirestar500, looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Quick Reply: Strut Bar Racingline vs Stillen