7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We bought a 2009 Maxima but the eight digit number seems to be in the 2010 year range. It's 20090824...beyond the last build date with the defective insulators of 8/14/09 for 2010 Maximas. Our sticker on the door post says 07/09. Am I reading this correctly? Our 09 Maxima was assembled after Nissan started with 2010 Maximas? And the build date indicate that we do not have the defective insulators...correct? Call me confused!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by dale512
We bought a 2009 Maxima but the eight digit number seems to be in the 2010 year range. It's 20090824...beyond the last build date with the defective insulators of 8/14/09 for 2010 Maximas. Our sticker on the door post says 07/09. Am I reading this correctly? Our 09 Maxima was assembled after Nissan started with 2010 Maximas? And the build date indicate that we do not have the defective insulators...correct? Call me confused!

Color us both confused.

Nissan converted the assembly line from 1009 Maximas to 2010 Maximas on August 3rd (they began that day making '09s, but ended that day making '10s). For an '09 Maxima built in July to be carrying a pre-assembly work order dated August 24th is illogical.

We know the insulator problem was fixed before the pre-assembly work order date (Aug 24) on your window sticker, so if you get a recall letter, then the date on your window sticker is obviously a corrected copy done well after the car was built.

One other possibility I can think of is that your car was a special-ordered '09, and required a part that was not in stock at the assembly plant. So Nissan finally got the part in stock, and printed the pre-assembly work order August 24, but since they were building an '09 after '09 production had ended, they back-dated the door plate.

But the more likely possibility is that they actually built the car in July, but somehow made an error, and did not build the car exactly as the pre-assembly work order (window sticker) specified, and when they later realized this (say around August 24), they cut a new pre-assembly work order to show the equipment the car was actually built with. But the program that compiles the work order automatically puts the current date on the window sticker. If this is the case, your car was actually assembled in July, and you will get a recall letter.

But whatever the situation, your Maxima is an obvious enigma. The recall letters arrive this month, so you will know something soon.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

lightonthehill: Thanks for the reply. I enjoy reading your responses on this site and learn alot from them. After reading your response to my post, I went and checked my window sticker and door post for the fourth time...and the information in my previous post is still correct. I'll wait and see if I get a recall letter. Do you know if the VIN drives all decisions by Nissan? So, even if my window sticker says 20090824, will Nissan send a recall notice if the VIN shows my Maxima assembled with defective insulators? Sorry for the basic nature of the question.

Thanks again and I appreciate all the information you've shared with the rest of us.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 AM

lightonthehill: Thanks for the reply. I enjoy reading your responses on this site and learn alot from them. After reading your response to my post, I went and checked my window sticker and door post for the fourth time...and the information in my previous post is still correct. I'll wait and see if I get a recall letter. Do you know if the VIN drives all decisions by Nissan? So, even if my window sticker says 20090824, will Nissan send a recall notice if the VIN shows my Maxima assembled with defective insulators? Sorry for the basic nature of the question.

Thanks again and I appreciate all the information you've shared with the rest of us.

Thanks for the kind words. There are so many things I DON'T know about cars, that I often get too wordy whenever something crops up that happens to ring a bell in my old head. The only car I am fully informed on is the first car I drove - a 1949 Studebaker, which I began driving exactly sixty years ago this month. Before 1949, my driving was restricted to moving semis and trailers around the loading docks at my uncle's trucking company (I was too young for a driver's license).

In answer to your question, Nissan handles EVERYTHING with their vehicles based on VIN Serial Number, and they know exactly to the minute when each VIN Serial Number was assembled. Just as additional info, Nissan begins each new model year Maxima with the VIN Serial Number 800000. Nissan will know which kind of insulators were being used at the time your car was assembled, and will send a recall letter to the owner of each car in which the faulty insulators were installed.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 AM

Can someone please explain what one would experience with this strut problem? The reason I ask is because I've been noticing (hearing) noise from the right side of the car when I go over the slightest bumb. The only way I can describe this VERY annoying sound is that it's a slight rumble of sorts. Not too loud, not dramatic, just there... low... and annoying!

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dad
Oh just the wind accordion came off the passenger side of the front moonroof while moving back and smashed the plastic seal around the rear moonroof. Replaced the whole glass and seal. Kind of a freak thing.

Now they'll have to drop both sides shock assemblies, etc, etc. Sticker says 03/09.

The driver seat is in line to go bad but at least the driver rear knuckle is of good make and on no bulletins.
I believe I have the same problem with the moonroof. One day I was closing it and it wouldn't close - kept popping open. I got out and noticed a piece from the accordion had come off and was sticking out the back of the moonroof, so for safety reasons the roof rejected the close.

Upon further inspection I saw that a piece had snapped off. The dealer is in the process of getting the part for replacement. BTW, this is the 3rd time I'm bringing it in for THIS... long story which I'll share another time.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

robf: read the thread about rotational noise. It describes what I'm hearing but have stopped worrying about it because it goes away. Read lightonthehill's response in particular because his post indicates many of us are having the same sound and it is highly likely that it is a normal operating sound.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by robf
Can someone please explain what one would experience with this strut problem? The reason I ask is because I've been noticing (hearing) noise from the right side of the car when I go over the slightest bumb. The only way I can describe this VERY annoying sound is that it's a slight rumble of sorts. Not too loud, not dramatic, just there... low... and annoying!

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

robf - There is a chance you are hearing the rotational noise discussed at length in another thread. But since your noise is tied to crossing bumps, and to the right side of the car, it is probably a strut problem. You didn't tell us when your car was assembled (month and date are on the little silver plate inside the driver's door jamb).

If your car was assembled in '0609', '0709' or '0809', it could be tied to the insulator problem. But Maximas have also been known to occasionally have problems with struts, and you may have a bad strut.

If you do not get one of the recall letters this month, then you probably have a bad strut. If no letter arrives, I would advise you to take your car to the dealer next month and have him check this out.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
robf - There is a chance you are hearing the rotational noise discussed at length in another thread. But since your noise is tied to crossing bumps, and to the right side of the car, it is probably a strut problem. You didn't tell us when your car was assembled (month and date are on the little silver plate inside the driver's door jamb).

If your car was assembled in '0609', '0709' or '0809', it could be tied to the insulator problem. But Maximas have also been known to occasionally have problems with struts, and you may have a bad strut.

If you do not get one of the recall letters this month, then you probably have a bad strut. If no letter arrives, I would advise you to take your car to the dealer next month and have him check this out.

Thank you all for the information. I found the "rotational noise" thread and posted there. I will verify the assembly date of my '09 Max and check w/the dealer. I'll be sure to post my findings back on the board.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan front end problem

Well the dealer has given up on my problem. replaced rack and pinion, gave them the recall letter and now I have an appointment with the field engineer at 12 today. he is supposed to go for a test drive with me and then take the car fix/repair/troubleshoot my problem. This is the 4th time they have attempted to fix problem but I am unsure in Florida whe the lemon law kicks in. It is my understanding 3 times with dealer and once with factory before they will arbitrate. Frustrating that they know the problem but will not fix upon demand.

will update later at to results of factory engineer inspection
Originally Posted by ibkcremax
Same exact problems with suspension here...today they replcaed the rack and pinion and then told me Nissan techs at factory said give car back until they find solution. My mind is telling me to not take car back until all is fixed.. Any thoughts from anyone?

thanks
2009 maxima all bells and whistles
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM

Has anyone received any recall notices in the mail at all yet? I've asked about two different dealers so far and they said to me that there are no recalls out on my car and haven't heard of any either...
Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 AM

#

call this number 1800-647-7261
give them youre info vin number they'll check for you and even keep you udpate to see if it does fall under recall for 90 days..
Old 10-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by TRANZPORTA
call this number 1800-647-7261
give them youre info vin number they'll check for you and even keep you udpate to see if it does fall under recall for 90 days..
Thanx
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM

I took my 2010 (8\09) back to the dealer with the recall print out. They had not heard anything about it yet. So, until they get the recall and or the info (ie part numbers) they need to replace the parts, we wait.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM

New 2010 Maxima SV/Pre/Tech owner. Drove car home this afternoon. Read this thread and looks like I may have car that fits at least by build date 20090814. When will the problem show up ?

2010 Maxima SV Premium/Tech...winter frost/cafe' latte

thanx

Last edited by Randy; 10-14-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
New 2010 Maxima SV/Pre/Tech owner. Drove car home this afternoon. Read this thread and looks like I may have car that fits at least by build date 20090814. When will the problem show up ?

2010 Maxima SV Premium/Tech...winter frost/cafe' latte

thanx

The problem may never show up in any given car, even if it does have the improperly constructed insulators.. But Nissan is notifying dealers this month about the recall, and will be notifying drivers of affected cars right after that. Cars with the suspect insulators will have them replaced free, whether they have given trouble or not.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 AM

lightonthehill
Thanks for your reply.

I'll just have to wait and see. Right now I am trying to learn about all the features this car has. One question? Yesterday on the way home from work
I was accelerating nice and easy and the whole car shuttered thru the range from 45-50 to 65 mph. I hope this isn’t a problem. On the same trip home as
traffic slowed and I again accelerated thru 65 - 70 there was no noticeable shutter. It was very concerning to say the least. Is this something I can expect to happen often? Do you know if this is common?

Thanks
Randy
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 AM

After a 200 mile trip to Morongo, my car is now producing some slight noises when going over bumps. The car was assembled in July and is part of the recall. Should be getting a notification in the near future.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This recall is only front suspension? I am currently experiencing loud strut compression/decompression noise in the rear of my 09 Maxima when going over any sort of road undulation at any speed.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Becks
This recall is only front suspension? I am currently experiencing loud strut compression/decompression noise in the rear of my 09 Maxima when going over any sort of road undulation at any speed.

There was a recall posted here somewhere last spring (?) involving something on the left rear chassis (?). Surely someone here will remember that. Of course, I think Maximas made since that recall are probably not involved in that recall. What MMYY is on the little silver plate inside your driver door jamb, Becks?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 AM

Has anyone received a recall notice ?
Mine started making the strut noise around 230 miles .

Thanks
Randy
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Randy
Has anyone received a recall notice ?
Mine started making the strut noise around 230 miles .

Thanks
Randy

The notification of recall action said owners would BEGIN to be notified October 5th. I understand that Nissan will spread these letters out over a few months, because over 25,000 vehicles are involved (Maximas and Altimas), and it will take the service department an hour or two with each car. But SOMEBODY here must have received their letter by now.

ANYBODY?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:07 PM

I have an appointment with the service dept on Wednesday morning. I just cant wait for my letter to come. Brand new Maxima this is not what I would expect
however things do happen.

Randy
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 PM

I'd like to know if Nissan will be replacing the defective struts with non-Chinese made parts? Anyone getting this service done, could you please ask for me?

I need a new car soon and I am nervous because soooo many new cars are using Chinese made parts in critical locations now. Makes me want to hang on to my '97, but it's getting up to 300K miles now.

Oh yeah, my wife's 2008 Impreza may have struts from a similar manufacturer that Nissan uses, as her car is exhibiting the same symptoms as some new Maxima's (Subaru and Nissan share vendors many times).

TIA
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 AM

This is the first I've read about this problem.

Other than some squeaking from the wipers in heavy rain, I've had no issues with my new Maxima (09 with about 1400 miles on it), and I've seen nothing from Nissan or the dealership regarding this.

While the people at Nissan told me (based on my VIN) there was no indication of my car being involved, the system was not fully up to date so I should keep checking to see if I get a notice.

Last edited by DCLawyer68; 10-21-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Had my car into the service dept today and they indeed herd the same sounds I have been hearing. They felt it was being caused by Bearing-Strut Mount.
they went ahead and ordered qty 2 p/n 54325-JA000.

Thanks
Randy
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 PM

I just noticed a creaking noise on the driver side coming from the front strut area yesterday. It seems to have gotten louder today. I first noticed while turning the steering wheel left to right while parked. I then noticed that it's audible while driving at low speeds. My build date is 8/19 which I believe is not included in the recall. But this definitely appears to be coming from the front suspension. I made a vid of the sound while turning the steering wheel back and forth in my garage. Take a look and let me know if it sounds like what you all with issues have heard.

VIDEO - '10 Maxima Front Suspension Noise

Luckily I didn't install the Eibach Pro kit yet so I won't have that potential hurdle to deal with when I take it to the dealer.

Last edited by madstylez; 10-22-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM

wow, that's messed up
Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM

wow!!! that noise is crazy.. mine falls on the recall date and i use to hear the noise when i go on bump but for the past 3weeks now, the noise stopped and i hear it onces in a while when i turn. it comes on and off but i am waiting for my recall letter...
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by madstylez
I just noticed a creaking noise on the driver side coming from the front strut area yesterday. It seems to have gotten louder today. I first noticed while turning the steering wheel left to right while parked. I then noticed that it's audible while driving at low speeds. My build date is 8/19 which I believe is not included in the recall. But this definitely appears to be coming from the front suspension. I made a vid of the sound while turning the steering wheel back and forth in my garage. Take a look and let me know if it sounds like what you all with issues have heard.

VIDEO - '10 Maxima Front Suspension Noise

Luckily I didn't install the Eibach Pro kit yet so I won't have that potential hurdle to deal with when I take it to the dealer.
That is crazy- A two month old car sounding like a ten-year old car. That is unacceptable. Did you contact you dealer yet?

On a side note, from the video I've finally noticed the different wheel color finish that Nissan added!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Madstylez: The sound on your video is not what I hear on our Maxima. Ours makes a thunk-thunk sound as you go over something like a speed bump. I don't hear anything while turning the wheels. But your sound does sound like something is loose up-front...whether it's related to the recalled insulators is another question. We're waiting for our recall letter and will take it in when they have the parts.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM

Madstylez: . . . while turning the steering from left to right while parked . .'

Wow! WOW! You turned the front wheels while the car is not moving! That is one of the first no-nos of driving. That takes a lot of guts.

Try doing that sometime with the motor not running, and you will have some conception of the incredible force the power steering allows you to apply to the front steering system when the car is not rolling. You don't have to be rolling fast; just any kind of forward creep allows the flexibility in the rubber tread to give enough to protect the steering assembly.

With these wide, low profile tires, there is tremendous grip between the tire and the concrete. Breaking that grip when the car is not rolling is the equivalent of getting down on your knees and BEGGING for something to break. It has been at least forty years since I pulled that stunt. It makes me hurt all over just watching that.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Wow! WOW! You turned the front wheels while the car is not moving! That is one of the first no-nos of driving. That takes a lot of guts.

Try doing that sometime with the motor not running, and you will have some conception of the incredible force the power steering allows you to apply to the front steering system when the car is not rolling. You don't have to be rolling fast; just any kind of forward creep allows the flexibility in the rubber tread to give enough to protect the steering assembly.

With these wide, low profile tires, there is tremendous grip between the tire and the concrete. Breaking that grip when the car is not rolling is the equivalent of getting down on your knees and BEGGING for something to break. It has been at least forty years since I pulled that stunt. It makes me hurt all over just watching that.
LMAO! There's one in every bunch I guess Let's not get too dramatic here. I first noticed the noise while slowly pulling (moving) through a drive thru. After that I turned the wheel a bit and noticed the noise again. Then I noticed it was audible while moving at 10mph or so. It's not like I was sitting in a parking spot pulling the wheel back and forth from lock to lock. And even in the video you see the wheel only turning slightly. Besides, at this point the issue is already there and shooting a quick vid to potentially help the Max community will not cause my car to self destruct as you seem to imply

Power steering?? What's that?? You mean these cars don't turn using mind control?!?! Please don't insult me. I've owned several cars with wide low profile tires over the past 20yrs or so and have yet to have any issues like this. And at just under 2k mi on the OD this is the perfect time to "BEG" for something to break since the repair bill is not on my dime.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 AM

Power steering??
Actually, Light has a point. Does the noise continue with the car off while trying to turn the wheels? I can't be sure from the vid but it almost sounded like power steering valving (rather like an old bmw a friend had.) This should differentiate suspension from power steering components.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax
That is crazy- A two month old car sounding like a ten-year old car. That is unacceptable. Did you contact you dealer yet?
I know right? Not yet, I'll give them a call next week after I do a quick inspection. Hopefully it's just a loose bolt or something. I hate running to the dealer unless completely necessary.

Madstylez: The sound on your video is not what I hear on our Maxima. Ours makes a thunk-thunk sound as you go over something like a speed bump. I don't hear anything while turning the wheels. But your sound does sound like something is loose up-front...whether it's related to the recalled insulators is another question. We're waiting for our recall letter and will take it in when they have the parts.
Thanks. Yeah, It's definitely not that type of sound. It's only noticeable when turning, it makes no sound going over speed bumps.

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Actually, Light has a point. Does the noise continue with the car off while trying to turn the wheels? I can't be sure from the vid but it almost sounded like power steering valving (rather like an old bmw a friend had.) This should differentiate suspension from power steering components.
It's the same whether the car is on or off. I don't think its the power steering. I'll throw it up on some jack stands this weekend to see if I find anything glaring before heading to the dealer.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM

LMAO! There's one in every bunch I guess Let's not get too dramatic here. I first noticed the noise while slowly pulling (moving) through a drive thru. After that I turned the wheel a bit and noticed the noise again. Then I noticed it was audible while moving at 10mph or so. It's not like I was sitting in a parking spot pulling the wheel back and forth from lock to lock. And even in the video you see the wheel only turning slightly. Besides, at this point the issue is already there and shooting a quick vid to potentially help the Max community will not cause my car to self destruct as you seem to imply

Power steering?? What's that?? You mean these cars don't turn using mind control?!?! Please don't insult me. I've owned several cars with wide low profile tires over the past 20yrs or so and have yet to have any issues like this. And at just under 2k mi on the OD this is the perfect time to "BEG" for something to break since the repair bill is not on my dime.

Well, so I sometimes overreact after midnight. Mea culpa. Sorry I emoted. But in some ways, looks like the overreaction works both ways.

I understand there is little chance the problem you have is connected to anything you have done. And it sounds sort of scary.

But coming from a driver who was driving long before cars even had power steering, and when drivers actually knew what was going on with every part of the steering assembly, I sincerely hope you will take my advice and try turning the steering wheel with the motor off (which disables the power steering). You will find I am absolutely correct about the extreme stress paced on the steering components. If I overreacted, it is because I understand and respect what is going on in my vehicle, and turning the steering on these cars when the wheels are not moving is abuse, pure and simple. And I knew that long before I was told that in advanced driving school.

I was glad when you explained you usually have the tires moving when you turn the steering wheel. I hope the dealer finds your car will not be hard to fix.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-23-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Looks like I'm not effected. However I've been hearing some suspension related noises...took to the dealer and they lubricated the bushings. Now, I'm good!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ibkcremax
Same exact problems with suspension here...today they replcaed the rack and pinion and then told me Nissan techs at factory said give car back until they find solution. My mind is telling me to not take car back until all is fixed.. Any thoughts from anyone?

thanks
2009 maxima all bells and whistles
I've been having a problem with my 09 -- I'm not sure if it's related but it only happens when I'm making fairly sharp left turns. I'm hearing a lot of noise from the front right wheel as well.

During sharp left turns the steering will pull the the right. This doesn't happen every time but often enough. The amount of pull varies from a slight resistance up to the wheel almost jerking in my hand until I straighten the car out. There is often a noise (hard to describe from memory but sounds like a slipping noise) from the front right when it happens.

I took the car in months ago about this but the techs couldn't reproduce it. It kept happening, however, and the frequency and severity has been increasing.

I finally took the car in again (oil change/front passenger seat fix) and mentioned the problem. They looked at it and again couldn't reproduce it. However, they stated they had a new steering rack on order.

What is curious is the fact that the car was perfect on the way back from the dealership. Steering was the smoothest it's been and all wheel noise has disappeared. I wonder if they know what the problem is but won't admit it and just made some adjustments until the new steering rack comes in.

Is it normal for a dealership to order a costly part replacement like that without having a clue as to what the actual problem is? It's being covered under warranty.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

FYI: I emailed NissanUsa.com and asked if my Maxima had the defective insulators. I received a reply that said my Maxima is not on their recall list. On the one hand, I'm relieved that I don't have these issues but I still hear something every so often, like a "thunk." It makes me wonder whether I'm hearing things and I'm like the hypochondriac who goes to the doctor for every imagined illness. I'll have my dealer check it out when I bring my car in for its oil service though. By the way, they said all the recall letters went out Oct 5 as indicated in the first post in this thread.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM

I guess im good mines says july 08..

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Recall