7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intelligent Key idicator light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Intelligent Key idicator light

Okay guys i'm a little freaked out right now. I went to this guy who has done remote starts on my cars for years. Long story short he put one on my '09 and i now have a Intelligent Key indicator light on my dash and now a check engine light. The Key light only comes on when the car is in drive or reverse and not neutral or Park. The check engine light is just on. What do you guys think could be the possible cause of this.

The thing is i'm in france and i had to fly out the thursday and i pick the car up that wednesday so he wont be able to look at it until i get back. I already know I cant take it to the dealer i was just wondering if anyone had any insight. The way he told me he wired the starter is to the computer and he had to take the dash off. Like if i started the car and the light switches is on Auto the headlights will not come on. the only way they will come on is when i press the button to turn the actually car on when i get in to drive off. Is it possible that the nissan Fob is conflicting with the starter. he also told me he was unable to hook the signal up to the factory fob so i could not start it from the factory fob like i had in my '02 maxima. Is that even possible to do now?

Just some please give me some info to keep my mind at ease while i'm away on Vacation.

Last edited by BMWHIGH1; 11-20-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 AM

Without seeing how he installed it I have no idea. Im getting a remote start for christmas though so I hope these shenanigans aren't the norm for our cars....
Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
TBA

My Nissan dealer told me it is possible to install a remote starter on the Maxima and use the OEM fob for starting. Said they had done it many times for other push-button Nissans, and also the 09 Maxima.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by BMWHIGH1
Okay guys i'm a little freaked out right now. I went to this guy who has done remote starts on my cars for years. Long story short he put one on my '09 and i now have a Intelligent Key indicator light on my dash and now a check engine light. The Key light only comes on when the car is in drive or reverse and not neutral or Park. The check engine light is just on. What do you guys think could be the possible cause of this.

The thing is i'm in france and i had to fly out the thursday and i pick the car up that wednesday so he wont be able to look at it until i get back. I already know I cant take it to the dealer i was just wondering if anyone had any insight. The way he told me he wired the starter is to the computer and he had to take the dash off. Like if i started the car and the light switches is on Auto the headlights will not come on. the only way they will come on is when i press the button to turn the actually car on when i get in to drive off. Is it possible that the nissan Fob is conflicting with the starter. he also told me he was unable to hook the signal up to the factory fob so i could not start it from the factory fob like i had in my '02 maxima. Is that even possible to do now?

Just some please give me some info to keep my mind at ease while i'm away on Vacation.

If its '' Service Engine Soon'' light and not '' Check Engine ''Light disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a couple of minutes......that should reset the sensor....as far as the key fob light.....i'm really not sure
Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 AM

I wish I could make you feel better, but it is very apparent to me that your mechanic "fubar'd" the installation. The LightSwitch, Headlight, and PTS indicators tell me either the system he installed wasn't compatible, he missed a connection, or a & b together.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Did you even get the code scanned to see what it's for?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM

I didnt get a chance to do none of that because it was already late. I guess he didnt know because he never drove the car. It was a service Engine soon Light.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM

So did it get worked out? Has anyone on here gotten remote start from using the oem smart key? That would be very nice to have....
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey whats going on... im actually an installer in Long Island... i did one of these the other day... and i know the problem occurs when the installer did not use diodes in his installation... (there are two wires that need diodes during the installation) this can cause serious damage to the bcm if these are not used... so i would go back to the guy that installed it... and let him know
Old 01-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by sikk20z
hey whats going on... im actually an installer in Long Island... i did one of these the other day... and i know the problem occurs when the installer did not use diodes in his installation... (there are two wires that need diodes during the installation) this can cause serious damage to the bcm if these are not used... so i would go back to the guy that installed it... and let him know
which two wires? I had to go back to Best Buy so they could fix these issues. Everything works good now that he added the diodes, except that if i start the car normally (no remote start) the IntelliKey light still goes on. This does not happen if I use the remote start, which is 99% of the time. If it still happens after a couple days I will have to call him again I guess...
Old 01-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the negative starter wire... and the negative ignition wire... both wires need to be diode isolated.... if not... it could backfeed back into the BCM (body control module or car computer) and cause damage
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM

ok thanks for the info. I know he redid the wiring in the dashboard with diodes. That cleared the service engine soon light and the intellikey light when started with the remote. When started normally the key light still comes on. Do you think this is a risk? Or have any idea why that would be happening?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM

*******PLEASE HELP**********************************

Help I have a similar problem. Yellow key light on. Cant turn on the accessory. Cant roll up windows (hard key doesn't work). I live in Alaska. 100 MILES FROM THE DEALER.

I've changed the car battery, the primary fob battery, and have tried the back up fob.

My brake lights do work.

I've noticed that the steering wheel lock is not engaging though.

All the while, though, the yellow light stays on while I'm seated in the car with either or both keys.

Yes I've tried to sit key in key boot. without any changes. Not even sure why they put that in the car.