7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Worlds first 7th gen on NITROUS with pics !!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 AM

i didnt read through all the posts to know if this was asked already, but did you put it on a dyno too see how much power youre puttin down?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
Appeared to be a dry kit as the nozzle looks like it's tapped into the intake tube right before the throttle body. Never seen a nitrous setup on a foreign car (been a GM boy for over 10 years) and this setup looks like a TNT or NOS dry kit. Forgive me if I'm wrong, still getting familiar with owning something that isn't a Pontiac or Chevy haha.
No, its a wet kit...dry kit is impossible to use since there is nothing to tune this car with
Originally Posted by logik05se
Sick, nice to see brooklyn doing it big! Keep it up brother
thanks man
Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY
i didnt read through all the posts to know if this was asked already, but did you put it on a dyno too see how much power youre puttin down?
Its impossible to dyno this car to get horsepower/torque numbers, its already been done by a member here and his number were not accurate.

Last edited by 1sik4dsc; 07-10-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Update: Finished the first bottle of nitrous and so far so good....going to get the bottle refilled asap
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Track date anytime soon?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 PM

you keep this up you will be broke refills cant be cheap
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
Track date anytime soon?
Im looking for the weather to cool down a bit, weather here has been in the 90s lately, but im dieing to take it to the track asap..ill keep you guys posted

Originally Posted by 2009maxima sv-sport
you keep this up you will be broke refills cant be cheap
I know, refills are 50 bucks a fill up
Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
I know, refills are 50 bucks a fill up
how many pulls per bottle?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 AM

no tranny cooler because they dont exist....and yes the nitrous is throttle activated
tranny coolers don't have to be model specific. when I installed a tranny cooler on my old max, I just rerouted the hoses to the front of the vehicle on a tranny cooler meant for a mustang. I believe it was a Hayden and I got it from Pep Boys at the time.
now external oil coolers I do believe are model specific because they screw into the factory oil filter housing.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

NICEEEEE
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
tranny coolers don't have to be model specific. when I installed a tranny cooler on my old max, I just rerouted the hoses to the front of the vehicle on a tranny cooler meant for a mustang. I believe it was a Hayden and I got it from Pep Boys at the time.
now external oil coolers I do believe are model specific because they screw into the factory oil filter housing.
Is CVT fluid too thick to be properly routed through a cooler though? I vaguely remember someone saying that at some point, I could be making that up though.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM

well the automatic in my recently gone Infiniti M took the J-matic fluid and that seemed pretty fluid.
best thing to do would be to literally grab a quart of CVT fluid and compare it to regular ATF. my opinion would be that both of their viscosity is the same.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
well the automatic in my recently gone Infiniti M took the J-matic fluid and that seemed pretty fluid.
best thing to do would be to literally grab a quart of CVT fluid and compare it to regular ATF. my opinion would be that both of their viscosity is the same.
yeah, and considering the fluid passes through the radiator as it is, I assume you can def. add an additional cooler to the system. Sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM

i remember a while back i read in a thread somwhere that josh from stillen was gonna bring up the idea of a tranny cooler to their technians there, i wonder what ever happened with that idea
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Here you go guys a shot of me purging the nitrous
Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Is CVT fluid too thick to be properly routed through a cooler though? I vaguely remember someone saying that at some point, I could be making that up though.
I thinks its very possible the CVT tranny fluid is like (GREEN COOL-AID i have replaced it 1 time sofar and on my second change with-in 4k so hopeful there is a way toget it done.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 PM

holy crap nicee bro
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Here you go guys a shot of me purging the nitrous
YOU HAVE ONE SICK CAR!!!! Can I borrow it for a weekend? PM me!

Seriously, keep up the great look. When my car grows up, I want it to look like yours.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 AM

^^thank you..........im on my 3rd bottle refill now and so far so good
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Why couldent you use a dry kit ???? I know lots of late model domestics that use a dry kit with great results ....I would think up to 75HP would be fine with a dry kit ,,, The MAF senses cold air a richens the fuel....plus a dry kit is a breeze to hook up ... Compucar has a nitrous in a bag kit..http://www.compucarnitrous.com/index...kits&Itemid=66 Ive used this kit my buddy has one and when we go out of town we use them on rental cars
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I need a truck

Sweet ... Kudos
Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Halcro 1
Why couldent you use a dry kit ???? I know lots of late model domestics that use a dry kit with great results ....I would think up to 75HP would be fine with a dry kit ,,, The MAF senses cold air a richens the fuel....plus a dry kit is a breeze to hook up ... Compucar has a nitrous in a bag kit..http://www.compucarnitrous.com/index...kits&Itemid=66 Ive used this kit my buddy has one and when we go out of town we use them on rental cars
well i couldnt go with a dry kit because theres nothing to tune this 7th gen with. A dry kit is different from a wet kit, a wet kit mixes fuel and nitrous together, dry kit is a shot of nitrous without a mixture of gas
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM

wet kit is the safest best way to go. hook it up and done. only next best would be a direct port kit haha but thats a little much. i couldnt really tell from the pics but where is your nozzle feeding into? this might be a good idea after i get a few more bolt ons. i was near a new m3 today and didnt want to tempt him to show me up
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM

was thinking a little more about this. since theres altima cvt turbo guys making 300tq+ then a 100 shot would be fine for us. first thing is change to a step colder spark plug. but the only thing i could see being a problem is the power coming in all at once and making too much shock.

not sure if you can set it up on your kit but theres progressive kits out there that say start with a 25hp shot at 3krpm and ramps up to 100hp by 5k rpms. that way its a smoother transistion and max nitrious could come in after peak tq to keep a great powerband and the drivetrain together
Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 PM

I have a tranny cooler...

hows the CVT holding up john?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM

IFuxwituz, I wanna hear how ur magnaflow setup sounds!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by sg1214
IFuxwituz, I wanna hear how ur magnaflow setup sounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-DN98JUn8

im actually gonna change them to the borla boomers soon im just waiting on some parts to come for my ******** setup

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 05-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Looks great, They did a nice and clean intall
Old 05-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-DN98JUn8

im actually gonna change them to the borla boomers soon im just waiting on some parts to come for my ******** setup
That is insanely loud, but it sounds sick. Its just magnaflow mufflers with 2.5" pipes with no cat??
Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 PM

That is insanely loud, but it sounds sick. Its just magnaflow mufflers with 2.5" pipes with no cat??

yeah pretty much & no resonator im gonna post up a video i made from my phone i did today maybe you will get a better feel of how it sounds outside because first video was made inside a garage

this is the link for the video i did outside today LOL @ the water coming out mufflers prob because i put 89gas today cause the BP didnt have 93
http://youtu.be/yHeuEf9GyEI

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 05-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 AM

yeah pretty much & no resonator im gonna post up a video i made from my phone i did today maybe you will get a better feel of how it sounds outside because first video was made inside a garage

this is the link for the video i did outside today LOL @ the water coming out mufflers prob because i put 89gas today cause the BP didnt have 93
exhaust juice

might I suggest a better video would be to have someone hold the cam about 20 feet away (like most people would hear it) and then start the car. Do a few idle, rev cycles. Then accelerate away like a granny, come back with a 30 mph roll by, come back. stop near the cam, then brisk acceleration, come back and do a 30 roll to brisk acceleration. (end of vid)
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 AM

Its impossible to dyno this car to get horsepower/torque numbers, its already been done by a member here and his number were not accurate.
You can use one of those online calculators using your drag times when you finally get to the track...at least it'd give you a general idea.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:02 AM

This acutally sounds good on start up and pull a nice meaty growl and I dont remember a droan at all either while I rode with him a couple of times

now the owner he droans all the time
Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM

I really like it, but it would be awesome if u could get someone to stand like 20 feet away like K757 said. Would give us a better idea of the volume and the exhaust note! 89 Is fine btw, lol I have used 89 plenty of times.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 PM

if you guys want to know how a cvt will react to the added power then start looking at other cars who have had cvt much longer. From what i have read and know as a mechanic, cvt's do not do well with significant power gains. Your not putting strain on metal (which has a very high yeild stress point), like in a standard trans, your putting strain on belts and pulleys and if one of those things goes wrong you will have a catastrophic failure. belts are very strong, and will handle added horsepower on occasion so, the nitrous is ok if you stay under 100 shot and don't use it often and plan to sell the car in 8-10 years. you will be shedding the lifespan off the car with every nitrous run. and forced induction, (i am very sad to say) is not going to be an option for you. unless you find someone who makes parts to rebuild the tranny and change the belts regularly, (extremely high maintenance and expensive) the continuous added strain will ruin your transmission in a matter of years. if not the belts, then the pulleys.

for the man with the NO2, pay very special attention to any whines and high pitched noise coming from the trans. this means one of your bearings has become malformed and will spread like a disease to he other bearings. it will seize or just completely beak apart, (more likely seize) you belts will snap 1-3 minutes after this.

really PO'd that the max went to cvt for this very reason. its not a modifiable car for significant gains. nissan didn't give a s*** for their die hard car enthusiasts when making this car. really hope they change it for the next gen.

as for bolt-ons, you should be ok, there hasn't been any problems in other cvt cars with lower power gains. as long as you stay under about 65 horse power increase you shouldn't see anything wrong happen. that is if nissan made a cvt trans that is as good as the other ones im basing this statistic on. if its better, then awesome, if its worse, (they have been known for this) then all bets out the window, and cross your fingers.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:18 PM

I do not know about the belts in these cars but some belts can have a higher yield than metals. So until strain and stress tests are done... I would not just throw out the CVT.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 PM
320driver

My mechanic just showed me a 2011 Maxima CVT "belt." It's a steel-link chain with hundreds of plate "links." No rubber, no cord. It's round in cross-section with a slight "v" shape, about 1 " thick. The belt is about the same circumference as a volley ball, weighs a coupla' pounds, appears to be indestructible.

I have a new 2011 and was very curious to see what this component looked like after reading these discussions. Wasn't able to take a pic - might be one available on line.

Last edited by 320driver; 05-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 PM

So the belt is not a belt but links... That might be weaker than a continuous belt. That linked "chain" has a lot more places to break at.... I guess only time will tell!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
320driver

Maxxxxxxxx,

Yes, I'm very curious about the design too.

The links are very complex geometric shapes - about the only thing that I can think of as a comparison is a piece of jewelry: Those round cross-section chains with omega-shaped links. The CVT "belt" has that appearance, but with flat links and many more of them. 'Still trying to find a photo.

Edit: Here is a link to the belt installed in the Murano/Jatco. There is no description with the pic, but it does appear to have a "belt" of some kind combined with the steel links. It's similar in appearance to the belt that I was shown. Same?? :

http://www.nissanmurano.org/photopos...ate/1289869791

Even after reading numerous descriptions of the general CVT design, the manner in which this type of "belt" could maintain enough friction in order to transfer torque from one set of pulleys to another is hard to envision.

My car is completely stock and it's the first Nissan, first FWD, first CVT unit that I've owned. So far, I find the performance pretty impressive and the fit/finish to be the best.

Last edited by 320driver; 05-07-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 AM

thats right i completely forgot to add, that even if the belts and pulleys could handle to extra straign for the life of the car, there is only enough friction the trans will be able to handle. once the power over throws the belts, you will lose power as you wear the belt down and lose traction not to mention you will have a failure due to the constant slipping. We really owe this performance pioneers for the 7th gen some props as they are taking on a pretty big risk.

and to be clear, i didn't mean the belts will snap the first test run you make with f/i or NO2, i meant after a few years. yes the belts are engineering marvels, i've gawked at a few, but don't forget the incredible forces a 270+ hp engine puts out. the only thing i would suggest is go for the mods and pioneer this generation! just don't hot rod everywhere you go.

Quick Reply: Worlds first 7th gen on NITROUS with pics !!!!!!!!!!!!