7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird clicking noise inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Weird clicking noise inside

When I hit some bumps in the road I can hear almost like a click from near the handle above the window...drivers side back seat. Its so damn annoying! I tried pushing on the handle and the roof near the handle but it still does it. Anybody else have this issue??
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM

i have this problem i got a 10 prem. and i took it to the dealer last week and they said it was fixed just my luckt that it went away for about 3 days but now its back i saw on the paper that they give that they checked something about a strut
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by shadowx3081
i have this problem i got a 10 prem. and i took it to the dealer last week and they said it was fixed just my luckt that it went away for about 3 days but now its back i saw on the paper that they give that they checked something about a strut
I highly doubt that its a strut! They might as well have told u that ur low on headlight fluid. Maybe ur click was different than mine tho. Mine is definitely a minor click like something is loose in the headliner when I hit a bump. I think Ill have someone tke a ride in my backseat and give me a better idea on where exactly its coming from. Ill keep ya posted......
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM

Just turned 3K miles on my '10 S and I am starting to hear a clicking/rattle that seems to be coming from the sunroof or passenger side door. Havn't had a chance to zero in on the source yet. Little noises like this inside the car drive me insane. I will let you know what's causing it once I find the culprit.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 AM

BUMP...anyone else having similar issues also?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 PM

I think I found out the problem. When the window is down the sound disappears! I believe the rubber where the window meets is rubbing making an almost clicking sound. Im gonna have to investigate it further tomorrow when its light outside!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeadPair
Just turned 3K miles on my '10 S and I am starting to hear a clicking/rattle that seems to be coming from the sunroof or passenger side door. Havn't had a chance to zero in on the source yet. Little noises like this inside the car drive me insane. I will let you know what's causing it once I find the culprit.

i thought i was the only one who got insane when stuff like this happens
Old 09-05-2010, 06:10 PM

sounds silly, but verify that there is no sunglasses in the sunglass holder in the roof compartment. I've had that cause. Also make sure the flip sunvisor is tight in the clip
Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have this problem too and been trying everything (trying rear arm-rest positions, head-rest positions, etc.). Only over certain bumps.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:25 PM

I most recently thought it was the mirror in the car, tried holding it while i was driving and seemed to go away for a moment, but its back. Ive driven the car and it sounds like its on the passenger side, and vice versa (sat on passenger seat sounds like driver side). I am out of guesses.

Center console when cup holder is open? NO
Mirror - NO
Seatbelt rattling against door - NO

anyone else????
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM

My rattling was sunglasses case in the sunglasses holder. Got a softer case that fit in there better. problem solved.
Similar rattling sound in previous car (Toyota) was loose headliner. Stuffed a couple pieces of kleenex up there and problem solved.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM

Overhead sunglass holder - I hated that with my old 07 Altima causing most of the rattling noise! I do however miss it now with my Max since I have the dual panel
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM

I have solved mine, and this may be the same for everyone else bc i confirmed this in another max.

Sit in the driver seat and look at the rear view mirror. Over the top of the mirror (running up the glass into the headliner) is the dimmer wire for the auto-dim mirror. The wire is covered by a black plastic type cover. In my case (and the other max) the cover is not "secure" to anything, just covering the wire and is kinda loose. If you press on it, it moves like back and forth it to and from being secure to the window. I noticed when driving over the certain bumps, as mentioned above, it made the noise. I drove around and when the infamous rattle started, i held this plastic cover and sure enough that was it. I just inserted a small piece of rubber at the top where the plastic cap thing enters the headliner so it wouldnt move, and its now gone. Havent heard this rattle in over a week.

Good luck, Let me know if this works for anyone else.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM

rattle/vibration from headliner

I have a 2010 with the glass roof, and just at 7K miles now. But from the first week I've had it, I've had a rattle that is more like a resonant vibration, coming from the headliner between the rear glass roof and the rear window.

I sat in the back seat going down a slightly bumpy road and found that by pressing up on the headliner, the sound would go away. I tried using pieces of foam rubber and small pieces of rubber strip between the trailing edge of the headliner and the top of the rear window, and it was gone for a while.

But it's back now. If driving down a moderate road, that's not really bumpy, but just needing to be resurfaced, that "hum/rattle" comes and goes on a continuing basis. It's especially annoying to anybody sitting in the back seats.

I just made an appt. with the local dealer's "rattle guy" for first thing Monday. I'm hoping that it's a wiring harness that goes to the antenna, which is on the roof just forward of the rear window. Others in this thread have mentioned that these harnesses aren't really anchored down in any way, and that would be asking for problems IMO.

I will report back after my service call.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM

successful repair

OK, brought my car to dealership yesterday, figuring I'd have to convince them there was a strange vibration/rattle coming from my rear headliner (full front/rear glass roof). Turns out there is a TSB for this issue and the fix is to drop the headliner and re-torque the bolts that run down the sides of the roof. I had to leave the car as it took a couple of hours. I've been driving the car over the same roads since then, and the noise is totally gone -- plus it was a warranty repair and totally covered. I since looked up the TSB (as a PDF) and it was interesting -- the noise symptoms they describe are not at all what I experienced, and had I read it first, I would have doubted that it would apply to my situation.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Had the same problem on the 2010 SV Premium - worse when sunroof shades were open. Sat in back seat and pushed and pulled on everything. The roofliner by the passenger side of the rear sunroof snapped up like one of the clips had not been fully pushed in. It hasn't come back yet. If it does, I'm going for the bolt torque.

Last edited by MaxArt; 04-28-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can't believe I put up with this clicking ever since I bought my used '09 Maxima with only 4k miles on it. I've driven it 50,000 miles and love the car, thinking it's major drawback was an annoying body creak but deciding to ignore it.

Last (well after the warranty expired) I mentioned to the mechanic (John at Jerry's Nissan in Vermont) that I'd love to not have the noise if there was any way he could find it. He rode in the car but didn't know right away what was causing it and suggested I drop the car off so he could spend more time on it. In the meantime I found NTB-132, forwarded that info to him and left him the car. It took 3 hours ($240) to fix it, which would have been free if I had acted sooner, but he was able to have Nissan cover an hour, the dealership cover an hour, and I paid an hour. They dropped the car off and I was delighted to hear the sound of SILENCE back there, putting it now unequivocally in the "best car I have ever owned" category.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by dbahn
I can't believe I put up with this clicking ever since I bought my used '09 Maxima with only 4k miles on it. I've driven it 50,000 miles and love the car, thinking it's major drawback was an annoying body creak but deciding to ignore it.

Last (well after the warranty expired) I mentioned to the mechanic (John at Jerry's Nissan in Vermont) that I'd love to not have the noise if there was any way he could find it. He rode in the car but didn't know right away what was causing it and suggested I drop the car off so he could spend more time on it. In the meantime I found NTB-132, forwarded that info to him and left him the car. It took 3 hours ($240) to fix it, which would have been free if I had acted sooner, but he was able to have Nissan cover an hour, the dealership cover an hour, and I paid an hour. They dropped the car off and I was delighted to hear the sound of SILENCE back there, putting it now unequivocally in the "best car I have ever owned" category.
Thanks for this post! It's driving me crazy! Can you link me to NTB-132 - sorry I couldn't find it. It's definitely in the back seat and I feel like it's something with the rear shade or rear sunroof. What did they do exactly? Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 AM

I took it in and they didn't fix it. It still makes noise. I even said something about the bolts and they said everything was tight. I don't have a copy of the tsb to show them but I'll bring it up again since I paid for nothing.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by stevemort
I took it in and they didn't fix it. It still makes noise. I even said something about the bolts and they said everything was tight. I don't have a copy of the tsb to show them but I'll bring it up again since I paid for nothing.
I'd have them look up the Service Bulletin and verify that they did EXACTLY as recommended. It's a few hours of work, as they have to drop the headliner down. Some of the bolts on mine were only finger tight, and I think there are 18 of them in all that need to be torqued.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Necropost, for sure, but I thought that this was interesting. I gave my '09 Maxima to my son for a graduation present, and bought a new 2014 model since it was the end of the production line and I really like the car. (Bought this one brand new for $30k, after a $5k factory rebate and an additional $5k dealer discount on a $40k sticker price.)

Anyway, I noticed that this one also had that weird clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from a right rear door or maybe the trunk. One trip to the dealer, a test ride where I convinced the technician that the rattle was real and several hours of them trying to find the source yielded nothing. I rescheduled another visit to leave the car and told them that they have to find and fix the problem. In the meantime I found that the easiest way to demonstrate it was to drive on a grass field (athletic park), and the tech that was with me was able to demonstrate that the railing for the sunroof on the right side was loose. When the dealer started balking at fixing it, I pulled up TSB09-132 for them to review, and left the car for the morning. Picked it up a half day later and the noise was completely gone, and covered under warranty.

While this problem was supposedly confined to a batch of 2009 Maximas it clearly can apply to later models, including the end of production cars. If you hear it, you may need to insist that the dealer pull the headliner to eliminate it. On mine, opening the sunroof and tapping on the railing that holds the sunroof down could reproduce the noise, but keep in mind that there are lots of other bolts that could cause the problem.