7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

HARDMOUNT/HARDWIRE Passport 9500 Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 AM

HARDMOUNT/HARDWIRE Passport 9500 Radar Detector

Good Day All:

Well I figured I would post these pics up in case anyone else was interested in doing this. So far I have been very pleased with how it turned out.

What you will see here is the mount I made to attach the detector to my rear-view as well as the hard-wire I made to attached the detector to the 12V power in the mirror as well. I realize that these items are available for purchase, however I priced the hard-wire harness at between $10-$20 as well as a comparable mount for between $40-$60. I decided that was total BS after spending the $500 on the detector.

In any event, the materials needed for the hard-mount are:

1/2" acrylic or 1/4"-3/8" aluminum. I had both, so I opted for the plastic as it was easier to manipulate. You will also need so bolts of pretty much any variety so long as they have pretty decent threads (DRYWALL SCREWS PROBABLY WONT DO). I used a band saw, a belt sander, a drill press and a dremel to pull it off. Completion time was about 2hrs. (cause I work slow).

The materials need for the hard-wire are:

Phone cord, wire strippers, soldering gun, multimeter and some sort of metal pins to use for the probes to go into the back of the mirror.

NOTE: I tapped out the holes on the top of the mount for the retaining bracket. This might be a better idea if you want it to last longer. In the bottom drawing you can see a pretty basic schematic I put together of the mount.

Enjoy!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM

awesome setup, I have the cordless but this definitely looks good
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks GREAT! What was the process to get into the mirror??
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 04SEelite
Looks GREAT! What was the process to get into the mirror??
Real easy peezy! My job has a tech job in it, so I snagged some spare pins for like a DB9 (vga/serial) style connector and soldered them on the the ends of the exposed/stripped phone cable wires. Then, I pulled the harness (auto-dimming) from the back of the mirror off, so I could find the 12V and ground connectors with the multi-meter. Once i had ascertained which they were, it was a matter of figuring out which wires on the phone cable the Passport used for power. To be honest, I spent hours figuring out that part, and just ended up googling it. Some nice guy on an infiniti forum had done this with his as well, and mentioned the required wires. I cant seem to find the post, however I believe the 2 middles wires on a standard 4 port phone cable are the power and ground for the units. I can confirm this tomorrow. Once that was done, I just pressed firmly the soldered on pins into the back of the mirror harness and zip tied them on. Vwalah!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM

How bout silencing it for false alarms?
I would love to do this with my RX65 but I am always pushing the button to shut it up.. Did u wire the shut up button?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by StonedCL
How bout silencing it for false alarms?
I would love to do this with my RX65 but I am always pushing the button to shut it up.. Did u wire the shut up button?
In my setup I did not hardwire the mute button, I usually just
reach up and kill it when required. However, if u wanted to you could get the mute button hardwire kit (passport models) I am sure most detectors have them available. You can still do the hardwire/mount however you would have to them run the button back to somewhere ie- under the dash. So long as you run it along the headliner it should still look clean.