7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Lost key in seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:24 PM

Lost key in seat

I set a small key on my front passenger seat today and drove out of my apartment complex. I looked over at the seat about 30 seconds later and the key was gone. I know it fell in between the seat back and the seat bottom, but for the life of me I can't find it. I've stuck my hand in the seat crack over and over trying to feel for it and moved the seat all the way forward and back to see if it fell out the bottom, but haven't had any luck.

I'm assuming the seat bottom is sealed (i.e. not open to the floor so it can't fall through) so it's possible that the key is just sitting in the bottom of the seat frame. Does anyone know if this is the case and what I would have to do to check it? Unfortunately, it's a fairly important key. =(
Old 01-01-2011 | 09:30 PM

well should worry too much just take the seat out. cause if u tried all that and it doent work then just take it out. once u got the spare your fine no one cant open the doors once the key is inside

Last edited by djdavebse; 01-01-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2011 | 09:42 PM

It's not the key to the car. It's a key to something else in my house that was small enough to fall into the crack.
Old 01-01-2011 | 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dconn
It's not the key to the car. It's a key to something else in my house that was small enough to fall into the crack.
well like i said remove the seat thats pretty much the only way to get to it if you cant find it after all that searching
Old 01-01-2011 | 11:53 PM

flashlight, it's not on the seat, i's under the seat probably wedged against the rail or stick your hand in the vent that blows air to the back, might have slid into it
Old 01-02-2011 | 06:59 AM

I don't suppose the key is magnetic?
Old 01-02-2011 | 11:11 AM

There is a metal plate that the seat sits on. One time I dropped my keys (3 house keys, keyfob, and viper alarm keyfob) and it slid onto the plate; in between the seat and plate. It took me forever to find it. Don't know if there is one for the passenger seat but might want to try. If you reach down between the seat and center console you should feel a piece of metal sticking out. You will barely be able to slide your hand in between the metal plate and seat. It's a pretty large compartment.
Old 01-02-2011 | 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't think this applies to the passenger seat. Still no luck finding it.
Old 01-03-2011 | 01:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't think this applies to the passenger seat. Still no luck finding it.
On the back of each seat is a flap that you need to unhook, I found this out when I was installing my sheep skins last summer. When I unhooked it I found my lost key also! It attaches in the back and wraps under the seat, I had to unhook it so I could get to the bottom of the seat to attach my sheep skins. It has a plastic piece that is almost the width of the seat. Hope this helps...
Old 01-03-2011 | 08:19 AM

If I were you, I'd check the railings of the seat since they're electric and see if the keys fell between them. One time I dropped my keyfob and I couldn't find it to save my life for 3 days or so (I was using my second fob in between) and then one day I started moving my seats back and forth because I knew that fob was somewhere and then I looked in between the railings (they kinda look like tracks) and there was my fob nestled in between the railing and because it was black in color it blended in perfectly and was moving whenever my seats would be adjusted.

Good luck, I hope you find them.
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:44 AM

Best bet - MaxLoverAz's flap check. That flap has been on other cars I have owned, and tends to catch things that somehow get between the seat and the seatback.

Next best - bk2k3max's rail check; move the seat as far as it will go both forward and backward, checking between the rails at each extreme.

I have not only dropped keys, but everything from Tic Tacs to Jelly Bellies between the console and the seats, and they can end up in strange places. When you reach my age, you will find out what dropping things is all about.

For example, I somehow flipped a Wendy's Caesar salad upside down onto my keyboard about an hour ago, and it took an hour to get all the particles from between the keys. The cleaning had to be done with the keyboard upside down, else things would have gotten underneath the keys. All a part of growing old.
Old 01-04-2011 | 08:01 PM

Appreciate the info. How do I unhook the flap? Is the hook towards the rear or the front?
Old 01-05-2011 | 08:24 AM

Appreciate the info. How do I unhook the flap? Is the hook towards the rear or the front?
It's in the back, I sat in the back seat to work with it, it's towards the bottom but not under. Wish I could take a picture for you but my sheepskins would have to be removed.
Old 01-21-2012 | 12:56 PM

I too lost my key

I set a small key on my front passenger seat today and drove out of my apartment complex. I looked over at the seat about 30 seconds later and the key was gone. I know it fell in between the seat back and the seat bottom, but for the life of me I can't find it. I've stuck my hand in the seat crack over and over trying to feel for it and moved the seat all the way forward and back to see if it fell out the bottom, but haven't had any luck.

I'm assuming the seat bottom is sealed (i.e. not open to the floor so it can't fall through) so it's possible that the key is just sitting in the bottom of the seat frame. Does anyone know if this is the case and what I would have to do to check it? Unfortunately, it's a fairly important key. =(

ON THE CONSOLE SIDE OF SEAT BY SEATBEL CLIP. FEEL THE METAL FRAME. IT IS ON THE TOP OF THAT.
Old 10-23-2022 | 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was about ready to take out the seat to find my missing key, but as always, the simplest solution is the best one. From the back seat i pulled back the flap mentioned above. No need to detach it, it's connected by a spring which allowed me to pull the flap back on the side. I was able to easily pull it back far enough to comfortably fit my hand in, i felt around and found the key. It was a two minute job.
Old 10-23-2022 | 02:05 PM

^^^ … eleven years after-the-fact but only ten years too late.

The OP sold his car in 2012.
Old 10-23-2022 | 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Um, yeah but..

Originally Posted by Turbobink
^^^ … eleven years after-the-fact but only ten years too late.

The OP sold his car in 2012.
clever comment captain, but i thought this might be helpful for others, like me, looking for a solution today