7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Lame seat recline motor and/or mechanism...anyone else agree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Lame seat recline motor and/or mechanism...anyone else agree?

Is it just me or does the sound you hear when you incline/decline the power seats in the front not exactly paint a picture of quality craftsmanship in your mind? To me, the motor sounds labored and varies wildly in pitch as it's doing its job. Maybe I shouldn't really worry about it. I just hope it holds up down the road.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM

yup that's nissan for you, car just feels like it's going to fall apart. everything feels really cheap.

nissan does fairly decent in the market because a lot of it's customers are not that picky and just overlook / don't realize the signs of low quality.

as long as the car doesn't blow up or catch on fire then it's a quality car as far as some of these nissan owners are concerned.

my uncle had a brand new 2005 altima who's been driving used older model high mileage lexus most of his driving life. After a few months with the altima, he sold it fast and went back to his 100k mile high mileage lexus.

I remember him telling me how he felt the altima was so cheaply made and how it was about to fall apart. mind u this only had no more than 10k miles.

Originally Posted by rawbutt
Is it just me or does the sound you hear when you incline/decline the power seats in the front not exactly paint a picture of quality craftsmanship in your mind? To me, the motor sounds labored and varies wildly in pitch as it's doing its job. Maybe I shouldn't really worry about it. I just hope it holds up down the road.

Last edited by BBmaxi; 01-04-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM

I had problems with the power seat twice, they said a penny was stock there, i know that was BS. The second time they said there was a recall!

Yeah, this is bestyou get for a 30k or less car.

They did not even think about pausing the music when you get a call on the blue tooth! Also, with the USB you can not browse through different folders to find what sog you want and then selecting it, once your browsing, it changes tracks!

But for the most part, its going ok, just hope nothing crazy happens when the waranty is out!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM

^^^My muisc pauses when a call comes over the bluetooth in my 2010. BBMaxi, dont say that Nissan makes cheap cars, you just got a lemon and so did ur uncle. My friend has a 2003 Altima with 150k on the clock and that thing feels solid as hell. My 2010 Maxima is the most solid car my family has owned, and all the materials used in the build are very sturdy and the cars feels solid to me. Nissan is one of the best car manufacturers out there, and the cars they build are extremley reasonable when it comes to price. Every automaker has problems sometimes and Nissan has solved most of them.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM

so what about all the other people who have had problems on their first 2000 miles of ownership ? were those all unfortunate lemons as well ?

it really depends on how picky you are right ? if your not picky and u don't notice the rocking seats, the weird suspension noises, the vibrations at certain speeds, then YES! It can last a long time! I guess it all comes down to what u can stand and what you can't right ?

I do hope your right, I think after all the typical and expected 2009-2010 maxima problems, that it should last many miles and years once all those quirks are taken care of.

Originally Posted by sg1214
^^^My muisc pauses when a call comes over the bluetooth in my 2010. BBMaxi, dont say that Nissan makes cheap cars, you just got a lemon and so did ur uncle. My friend has a 2003 Altima with 150k on the clock and that thing feels solid as hell. My 2010 Maxima is the most solid car my family has owned, and all the materials used in the build are very sturdy and the cars feels solid to me. Nissan is one of the best car manufacturers out there, and the cars they build are extremley reasonable when it comes to price. Every automaker has problems sometimes and Nissan has solved most of them.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
so what about all the other people who have had problems on their first 2000 miles of ownership ? were those all unfortunate lemons as well ?

it really depends on how picky you are right ? if your not picky and u don't notice the rocking seats, the weird suspension noises, the vibrations at certain speeds, then YES! It can last a long time! I guess it all comes down to what u can stand and what you can't right ?

I do hope your right, I think after all the typical and expected 2009-2010 maxima problems, that it should last many miles and years once all those quirks are taken care of.
The seats in my SV do not rock, have not heard any weird suspension noises, but I have felt vibrations at certain speeds. After doing a little reading I found out the vibration was due to the tires and there is a TSB for it where some have gotten new tires from Nissan.

As with any car you should probably get an extended warranty beyond what CPO offers, the few grand you'll spend now is nothing compared to out of pocket costs later...but I'm sure you know that. There's so many electrical and motorized components in this car I'm positive SOMETHING is going to break down the line. If you are used to owning a car that never breaks or has issues whatsoever that I bet you are the envy of most car owners. I'd be more concerned if Nissan was playing games with everyone on these issues, but issuing TSB's and repair-work shows they intend on supporting the car thoroughly.

Overall I feel the Maxima is a VERY solid car and well put together. Everything I've touched on the interior feels well made and will stay looking amazing if taken care of well. The mileage isn't amazing but I didn't get this car because it was fuel efficient; I have a blast driving around now and love it. My only real gripe is the lack of bluetooth audio streaming, which the 2010 has.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Exclamation

There is NO way your music pauses when you get call on your car's blue tooh, I posted a thread a week ago or so and everyone agreed about the no pause option. And I went to the dealership, they called their tech support and they were told it was not an option.

As far as the seats go, there was recall on them unless service dept. lied to me.

You all talk about solid cars, etc...
Here is my opinion on it as I stated earlier:
OVERALL I am happy with car especially for what I paid and cars sometimes do have little problems that can be fixed for some of us at times, however I have had plenty of cars for my share so far and I have to say my experience with Nissan has not been the best. Maybe you guys have not had your share of cars or experience with others or better cars.

About the lemon thing, first of all lemon cars can Not be fixed and if your were correct about them being lemon, what would that say about their cars then?

By the way the navigaton sucks too, my Civic Si 's was ten times better.

Do not get me wrong I am loving the car more and more everyday, we have to accept the fact that not everything is gonna be perfect, there are a lot of other great things about the car that I love too. Which is why i said overall I am down with it.

I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by SlkMax; 01-05-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SlkMax
Yeah I actually am thinking of doing the DVD-in-motion mod and using my Droid's Google Navigation instead. The Nissan navigation has had me drive in circles before, a few times had me go one way on a road then after I turned that way it told me to take a U-turn and go the other way. Most of the time it's okay but I'm used to my phone's nav which smashes it and has traffic overlay...
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM

yup that's nissan for you, car just feels like it's going to fall apart. everything feels really cheap.

I remember him telling me how he felt the altima was so cheaply made and how it was about to fall apart. mind u this only had no more than 10k miles.
I disagree with the top statement, and wholeheartedly agree with the bottom one. The difference in build quality between a Maxima and Altima is night and day. I had my Max at the dealership for a few days and they gave me a loaner 2007 Altima - that thing was a piece of crap! Even compared to my old 02 Sentra it felt like it was made of cheap plastic, the doors felt flimsy when closed, and was generally aesthetically boring. I remember talking about it at work how it felt like a go cart compared to the Max.

The Maxima however has a very solid feel when the doors close and things fit together very well. The interior has very nice materials and nothing feels cheap whatsoever to me. The only thing I don't like is that if you get this car with 18's, it'll scream for bigger rims.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM

sounds like you bought a typical used car that the driver drove hard, I've driven well taken care of cars that felt new with 60-100k on them and I have driven cars with 30-40k on them and thought they had 150k
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM

There is NO way your music pauses when you get call on your car's blue tooh, I posted a thread a week ago or so and everyone agreed about the no pause option. And I went to the dealership, they called their tech support and they were told it was not an option.

As far as the seats go, there was recall on them unless service dept. lied to me.

You all talk about solid cars, etc...
Here is my opinion on it as I stated earlier:
OVERALL I am happy with car especially for what I paid and cars sometimes do have little problems that can be fixed for some of us at times, however I have had plenty of cars for my share so far and I have to say my experience with Nissan has not been the best. Maybe you guys have not had your share of cars or experience with others or better cars.

About the lemon thing, first of all lemon cars can Not be fixed and if your were correct about them being lemon, what would that say about their cars then?

Do not get me wrong I am loving the car more and more everyday, we have to accept the fact that not everything is gonna be perfect, there are a lot of other great things about the car that I love too. Which is why i said overall I am down with it.

I'll leave it at that.
I'll admit I dont have much experience with cars. I am only 19, been drving one year and this is my second car. I have been in my Cousin's Porsche before that is the only car I have had experience in that is much more solid than our cars. I have to say tho, the Nissan Navi is very good to me, It has saved my *** a few times and always gets me where I need to go. And I can swear, that if Im using bluetooth audio, and someone calls, my music pauses till I am done talking and hang up.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Ditto!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM

SlkMax mentioned a recall on the seat. Does anyone have any links or details? I wasn't aware.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Wink

I'll admit I dont have much experience with cars. I am only 19, been drving one year and this is my second car. I have been in my Cousin's Porsche before that is the only car I have had experience in that is much more solid than our cars. I have to say tho, the Nissan Navi is very good to me, It has saved my *** a few times and always gets me where I need to go. And I can swear, that if Im using bluetooth audio, and someone calls, my music pauses till I am done talking and hang up.
My friend,

My Droid navigation is better than the maxima's, and again so was my Civic's.
About the pause thing, your correct if you're getting music through the blue tooth audio, but that's not what I was talking about, you should go back and read my previous posting.

I was referring to the cd player, music box and the USB adapter.

Last edited by SlkMax; 01-06-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by rawbutt
SlkMax mentioned a recall on the seat. Does anyone have any links or details? I wasn't aware.

Thanks!
NOT a recall. a TSB. Search by my posts and you'll find it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM

My friend,

My Droid navigation is better than the maxima's, and again so was my Civic's.
About the pause thing, your correct if you're getting music through the blue tooth audio, but that's not what I was talking about, you should go back and read my previous posting.

I was referring to the cd player, music box and the USB adapter.
Oh, well Im sorry about that then. I mostly use bluetooth audio, only time I use the music box is when I forget my phone or something.