7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by nbtvee6

Then your video is irrelevent if you used Ds mode for the video but are asking about how it operates in D.

Iregaurdless, I have had the problem with my CVT. The dealer replaced the valve body free of charge and CVT has been perfect for 6 months now. The symptom I had was ZERO power. I could floor it and barely back out of my driveway (which is uphill). The day I took it into the dealer to get it fixed I ended up having to do a 15 point turn around to drive straight out of the driveway because I couldn't get enough power in reverse.

When you have at least the same problem I had there is no mistaking the issue.
That noise comes on during D too. I know being in Ds has to shift so you get that Manuel effect. I was just trying to make a quick video so I can show the whine noise. I haven't had all those symptoms yet lol

Last edited by GNCMaxima; 09-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Last edited by GNCMaxima; 09-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Bump, any thoughts? I tried going to several dealership and they all say well we need to run a diagnostic and even that they said they don't have time that I need to change my transmission fluid the fact is I've had this car since 10 miles and this has been happening since 20,000 miles why are they just trying to avoid the situation.

Out of the 3 other maximas ive had never have I had this issue or neglect in my services. This isn't right
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM

GNCMaxima,

I've also had the same issue as you with the whining CVT under hard acceleration. It seems like this whining noise only occurs when I do multiple hard acceleration runs consecutively especially when accelerating in Ds mode. From what i read online, it seems like hard acceleration, especially in Ds mode causes air bubbles to form in the transmission fluid and combine that with the heat being generated and you get the whining noise. I believe this is just the nature of the CVT and it is normal as i've had the issue when the car was new with only 1500 miles.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2012maximaS
GNCMaxima,

I've also had the same issue as you with the whining CVT under hard acceleration. It seems like this whining noise only occurs when I do multiple hard acceleration runs consecutively especially when accelerating in Ds mode. From what i read online, it seems like hard acceleration, especially in Ds mode causes air bubbles to form in the transmission fluid and combine that with the heat being generated and you get the whining noise. I believe this is just the nature of the CVT and it is normal as i've had the issue when the car was new with only 1500 miles.

Even without hard acceleration after a 15 min drive I start to hear it :/ Do you think changing the fluid would even make a difference? Im at 29k Miles on my 2012
Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 PM

It seems like your CVT whining may be caused by heat buildup because it starts occurring after 15min of driving. You also live in Dallas which gets pretty hot so maybe see if there is less whining during colder days or in the winter months.

I would check the transmission fluid via the dipstick first and make sure its not low and that its clear/pinkish and doesn't smell burnt or have any particles in it as shown in the video link below

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...ck_fluid_level
Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 AM

It seems like your CVT whining may be caused by heat buildup because it starts occurring after 15min of driving. You also live in Dallas which gets pretty hot so maybe see if there is less whining during colder days or in the winter months.

I would check the transmission fluid via the dipstick first and make sure its not low and that its clear/pinkish and doesn't smell burnt or have any particles in it as shown in the video link below

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...ck_fluid_level
Thank you I will do that later today and keep you posted.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:03 PM

Using the dipstick I can barely tell the color of the CVT is the clear/pinkish really noticeable on the dipstick? Mine looks brown/light brown.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Try wiping it on a white paper towel and see what color it is. I'm actually not sure what color the fluid should be. The video link says its pink but i've read elsewhere that it is green or golden. The important thing is that its clear and doesn't smell burnt or have any particles in it, otherwise you probably need to flush the transmission fluid. Here is a how to guide on how to flush the CVT yourself if your up to the challenge. Doesn't look too hard.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...rain-fill.html
Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got the service engine soon light last week on my way home. I took it to the dealer the next day and they stated that the CVT transmission has to be replaced. I'm pissed I just got this car in JAN.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by flex8at
I got the service engine soon light last week on my way home. I took it to the dealer the next day and they stated that the CVT transmission has to be replaced. I'm pissed I just got this car in JAN.
How many miles? Have you done any maintenance yourself or was it all dealer? Do you have any after market parts on the car? Details please .
Old 12-09-2014, 03:16 PM

What model year? Did you buy it new or used? Had you noticed anything unusual prior to the service engine light? I assume you are aware of the different warranties for the CVT, depending on model year. The SHORTEST warranty on any Maxima CVT is five years. Some (2019 and 2010 I think) have TEN year CVY warranties. Assuming your CVT is under warranty, then you should have no out-of-pocket cost.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
Using the dipstick I can barely tell the color of the CVT is the clear/pinkish really noticeable on the dipstick? Mine looks brown/light brown.
Very normal. New CVT fluid is candy apple green colored. When changing the fluid, you only replace half of it. The fluid off of the dipstick will always be a very light tan color, clear and has a typical transmission fluid odor (no burnt smell).

Whining under acceleration happens after repeated, back-to-back hard acceleration runs. It will make a whining noise with any revving under load. Usually, you have to deliberately be pretty darn abusive on the transmission for it to get noisy or it has to be it super hot outside.

NORMAL circumstances - a slight high-pitched whine at redline when accelerating at WOT. If it is cold outside and the transmission isn't getting as warm, then mine stays silent, even at WOT.

I have a 2010 with 126,000 miles on it. Have replaced transmission fluid at 45K, 75K, 110K, so far. Just a drain/replace.

Come to think of it, the reason I replaced mine at 110K miles was because it did start to get a little bit more noisy with hard acceleration. The new fluid did quieten it down.

Late,
Trav
Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is a 2010 with 60,000 miles and I bought it used. I'm just glad that Nissan will cover the costs for replacement. I don't have any after market upgrades. Prior to the service light coming on I didn't notice any changes to the car.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by flex8at
It is a 2010 with 60,000 miles and I bought it used. I'm just glad that Nissan will cover the costs for replacement. I don't have any after market upgrades. Prior to the service light coming on I didn't notice any changes to the car.
Glad to hear they are taking care of it for you. As they should. See there are some honest people left.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CVT issue on my 2012

Mine has recently started acting up, mainly after getting warmer on a longer trip ( more than 100 miles). The CVT won't downshift in the manual mode and there is an audible whine from under the floor pan. I have seen that CVT issues are rare, but I think I have one brewing.. Thoughts???
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

GNCMaxima,

I had a whining noise after a couple hard accelerations. I'm at 45K on a 2012. I still am under the power train warranty.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM

How long does the power train warranty last?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Squiddoc
How long does the power train warranty last?
6Years/60,000 Miles.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
6Years/60,000 Miles.
It lasts 5 years not 6. 60k miles is correct.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 PM
RR5

I'm going to explore this option Monday, I've got the lame whine at higher RPM in lower "gears" and whats worse I already had a stealership do a CVT fluid drain and fill. Didn't change much that I could easily tell.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
I'm going to explore this option Monday, I've got the lame whine at higher RPM in lower "gears" and whats worse I already had a stealership do a CVT fluid drain and fill. Didn't change much that I could easily tell.
was it a Nissan dealership? If not I've heard a lot of horror stories of them not using Nissan cvt fluid or even using cvt fluid at all and just putting AT fluid in it and then you get the whine.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:50 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by glockedc
was it a Nissan dealership? If not I've heard a lot of horror stories of them not using Nissan cvt fluid or even using cvt fluid at all and just putting AT fluid in it and then you get the whine.
Funny story, friend of mine working in parts at a Nissan dealer said 'we don't perform a CVT drain and fill' service.

So I went back to the stealership where I got the car to do the CVT drain and fill.

I had this whine before the CVT drain and fill. I was hoping the drain and fill would quiet it down. No such luck.

Now I'm going back to the stealer where I bought the car from and ask about the power train warranty to get it replaced or at least ask!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Do yourself a favor and do your research ahead of time. The Nissan powertrain info can be found on nissans website by just googling it. It's better to be well informed PRIOR to talking with the dealer in the event they try to give you the run around. If they do, you can simply provide them with the documented research you did earlier.

This method has helped quiet down service managers who are dishonest.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan replaced the CVT on my 2010 at 57k miles. The CVT would lag when changing from d to reverse & vise versa. While in sports mode, the CVT would get stuck in a simulated gear. The new CVT they put in under warranty didn't exhibit these whining noises until much later. I took it in to the dealer several times & everything checked out. I changed the CVT fluid at 30k mile intervals. Like the original one, it would sometimes get stuck in a simulated gear. I will not be buying another higher power vehicle with a CVT....at least not until they figure it out.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Nissan replaced the CVT on my 2010 at 57k miles. The CVT would lag when changing from d to reverse & vise versa. While in sports mode, the CVT would get stuck in a simulated gear. The new CVT they put in under warranty didn't exhibit these whining noises until much later. I took it in to the dealer several times & everything checked out. I changed the CVT fluid at 30k mile intervals. Like the original one, it would sometimes get stuck in a simulated gear. I will not be buying another higher power vehicle with a CVT....at least not until they figure it out.
I too had my cvt replaced at 56k on my 2009. I only have about 25k on the new cvt but am concerned about the overall durability of the new cvt. I will be doing a fluid drain/refill soon but noticed it's just not as "crisp" as it was when it was first installed. How many miles do you have on your replacement?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 PM

Ugh all these CVT horror stories are definitely making me question if I should buy out my max next year when my lease is up 😞😞
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
I too had my cvt replaced at 56k on my 2009. I only have about 25k on the new cvt but am concerned about the overall durability of the new cvt. I will be doing a fluid drain/refill soon but noticed it's just not as "crisp" as it was when it was first installed. How many miles do you have on your replacement?
I had 67k miles on the new CVT. It was out of warranty & I finally got out of it a little over a month ago. I really liked my 7th gen & would of kept it for quite a while longer. I kept my other Maximas past 200k miles. Unfortunately I don't think it would of made it that far with this transmission.

Once I started looking for another car, anything with a CVT was out for me.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 PM

I hear you! The cvt just doesn't do it for me. My maxima isn't my daily driver but I am looking hard at the new Dodge Charger scat pack with 485hp. Whatever I get next it won't have a cvt that's for sure!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:41 PM

I hear that! That's one nice ride!
Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I am truly sorry some folks are not getting good dealer service. But thankfully, tranny problems with Nissan products are very infrequent.

The latest issue of Consumer Reports (April 2011) is the annual auto issue, and if we check the Maxima 'Transmission Major Problem' and 'Transmission Minor Problem' categories there, we find all Maximas of the last five years have orange ***** (highest possible rating) in both categories for all five years.

I have owned nothing but Maximas since October of 1984 (including at least one in each generation), have put around a million miles on Maximas during that time, and have NEVER had the first whisper of a tranny problem.

The only three CVT tranny problems we have had posted on this board since the 7th gen Maxima came out in June of 2008 (almost THREE YEARS ago) all resulted in immediate free replacement trannies from Nissan with no questions asked.

When I think back to the unending tranny problems I had with American vehicles from 1949 until discovering Datsun/Nissan 1978, I am so thankful I found Datsun/Nissan.

If you REALLY want to know about lousy tranny reliability, talk to my son about his Acura TL problems, and Honda Corp's 'solutions.'

The CVT in the 2010 Maxima has a TEN YEAR, 120,000 MILE warranty. I'll take that and run any day.

While at the dealer to have my cvt checked out, another customer called while I was at the counter. I overheard the service person telling them it's $3500 to replace a cvt. The customer was making an appointment to have their car looked at.

If you spend some time looking, you will see that extended warranties were issued for a few nissan's http://www.nissanassist.com/vehicles.php?menu=5

And here http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2
Old 01-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cvt junk

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
First failure I've heard on a 7th Gen Maxima.
I have a 2011 Maxima and had to replace the transmission at 150K. There was absolutely no warning, no light, just a jerking and then complete failure. With towing parts and labor this cost nearly $4K. 😡
VERY DISAPPOINTED!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Piggly522

I have a 2011 Maxima and had to replace the transmission at 150K. There was absolutely no warning, no light, just a jerking and then complete failure. With towing parts and labor this cost nearly $4K. 😡
VERY DISAPPOINTED!
during that 150k, was the cvt fluid & filter ever changed?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 PM

Should Buyer Beware?

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I am looking at possibly purchasing a 7th Gen 2010 Maxima that has about 71k of mileage on it. Should I be hesitant about the Transmission and if something was to happen before the warranty on the transmission expired, would Nissan honor it being that I am not the original owner?
Thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM

These cars are trial and error, I have a 2010 with 116,000 miles on it and have had absolutely no problem with the CVT and i drive 60 miles a day round trip for work. My wife has a 2012 with 66,000 miles and travels round trip for work about 60 miles a day and has had no problems. But I have heard from people with much less mileage than my 2010 suddenly having CVT failure with no prior warning. I also have heard from some with 200,000 miles on the car still running strong with the original CVT so this is a game of trial and error. I believe the way these cars are driven may play a role with the CVT issues. These cars got some power and if someone has a heavy foot all the time it may contribute to the CVT's having issues. Nissan for what I'm hearing still hasn't perfected the CVT. I miss my 2005 Nissan Altima that thing had 199,000 miles on it and ran perfect those engines and transmissions were well built but Nissan had to become compliant with making cars more fuel efficient and had to design the CVT which is why we're here now. i believe it's not only Nissan but pretty much all auto manufacturers that are having some sort of problem with the CVT.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by uavscrappy
Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I am looking at possibly purchasing a 7th Gen 2010 Maxima that has about 71k of mileage on it. Should I be hesitant about the Transmission and if something was to happen before the warranty on the transmission expired, would Nissan honor it being that I am not the original owner?
Thanks!
As stated above, it is really a Russian roulette game, you might buy the car and be happy with it for a long time (provided you maintain it well and be gentle with it) or you may land on a huge pile of S***. If you know the owner and can get the prior service records that would help too. If you buy, your very next thing to do is have the CVT fluid drain and refill with a new external filter.
There is a very nice android app (CVTz50), it is designed for CVT-equipped Murano Z50 but works nicely on Maxima too. This app with a Bluetooth or Wifi OBDII adapter can pull the prior and hidden CVT codes if ever encountered during the car life. It can also show you the CVT fluid deterioration value (and can reset it too if needed after fluid change), along with many nifty features. Great app for $4.99 if you decide to test a 7th gen Maxima.

For the warranty, I can 't see why Nissan would deny you the 10 years/120,000 miles (for 2009 and 2010) CVT warranty if something bad happens. But they need malfunction codes to start looking for CVT troubles. You can call Nissan customer affairs and discuss that with them. From my experience with them they are very helpful and courteous with customers

Last edited by mahanddeem; 02-07-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by uavscrappy
Thanks!
I have a 2010 that I purchased preowned. My cvt failed a couple months ago at around 119,200. Not totally unexpected, I kind of beat on it and was hoping to have it replaced before the warranty expired. It was replaced under warranty, no questions asked.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2011 maxima cvt failure

My maxima has all the symptoms of cvt failure. Just happened gradually over the course of a few hours. Shuddering, loss of acceleration, then it failed to shift. Car sat far a period of time but was able to start and shift later to tenderly drive it home. I am hoping it is covered under a warranty but what I have been reading, the 2011 is not part of the extended warranty. I have 108k miles. Any other experience with 2011 maxima cvt issue?