7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

rust on trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

The charger is cool....but the SS was more for me, faster, cheaper, and big but not gigantic...so many years with the Maxima I wasnt up for another go around of more of the same...great car though but regarding the paint be aware that they technically only are obligated to warrenty rust that is 'perforated' i.e. rusted right the fu*k though like a hooptie. Is this ever going to actually happen? Of course not, thats why Nissan's rust coverage is a complete crock of $hit.

My 04 developed rust around the skyview, over the windshield, and around the rear wheelwells. I live in a snowy area but this started when the car was only 4-5 years old.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just wanted to bump this thread with some information. I have a 2012 max that I bought brand new 6 months ago and noticed some rust stains coming from under the big chrome plastic piece on the trunk lid. When I looked really close I could see a couple of small nicks in the paint right where the bottom of the plastic chrome piece meets the paint.

So I brought it to the dealer where I bought the car and they sent me to the body shop.

The body shop said that this is common for the 7th gen maximas. They get this complaint all the time and it is a standard Nissan warranty item. Basically, the plastic chrome piece is wedged tight against the paint. The plastic trim piece and the metal trunk lid expand and contract differently with temperature changes. This causes the plastic chrome piece to slide against the paint and crack it.

The standard fix from nissan is that they send some screws or studs (whatever holds that chrome piece on) that are slightly longer so the chrome piece doesnt sit right against the paint. Nissan will pay to have the trunk lid repainted too because of this defect.

Just thought I would update this thread for anyone else having this problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by vball_max
Just wanted to bump this thread with some information. I have a 2012 max that I bought brand new 6 months ago and noticed some rust stains coming from under the big chrome plastic piece on the trunk lid. When I looked really close I could see a couple of small nicks in the paint right where the bottom of the plastic chrome piece meets the paint.

So I brought it to the dealer where I bought the car and they sent me to the body shop.

The body shop said that this is common for the 7th gen maximas. They get this complaint all the time and it is a standard Nissan warranty item. Basically, the plastic chrome piece is wedged tight against the paint. The plastic trim piece and the metal trunk lid expand and contract differently with temperature changes. This causes the plastic chrome piece to slide against the paint and crack it.

The standard fix from nissan is that they send some screws or studs (whatever holds that chrome piece on) that are slightly longer so the chrome piece doesnt sit right against the paint. Nissan will pay to have the trunk lid repainted too because of this defect.

Just thought I would update this thread for anyone else having this problem.
I also am noticing the nicks, but no rust yet. Has your fix held up? Did they put the new screws on? Do you know if there is a service bulletin if I go to the dealership?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Why in the world would Nissan let this problem go on for 4 or more years without fixing it at the factory ? I'm guessing my 2013 could also develop this
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
Why in the world would Nissan let this problem go on for 4 or more years without fixing it at the factory ? I'm guessing my 2013 could also develop this
I am thinking the same thing. Actually i was thinking how the 09 could ever get out the door without a rubber surround of some sort. Plastic on paint? Who thought that was a good idea?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM

my friends 2009 has the same problem , he fought with the dealer to fix it 2 yrs ago. they told him Nissan only covers rust Threw. He was pissed, no way should any car rust after a year. His car now 3 yrs old with 80k and the rust spot is getting worse.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rader023
I am thinking the same thing. Actually i was thinking how the 09 could ever get out the door without a rubber surround of some sort. Plastic on paint? Who thought that was a good idea?

I could see the 2009 model sliding through but they have a fix for this out now that should be done at the factory
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by whit
my friends 2009 has the same problem , he fought with the dealer to fix it 2 yrs ago. they told him Nissan only covers rust Threw. He was pissed, no way should any car rust after a year. His car now 3 yrs old with 80k and the rust spot is getting worse.

vball Max is saying this is a standard warranty item, have your friend do some research and present it to the dealer. I'd start by calling the dealer bodyshop vball max went to for the warranty info
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by whit
How many miles did he have at the time? if it was less than 36K then:

The items listed below are not covered under corrosion
coverage (perforation from corrosion).
Exhaust system components.
Corrosion of outer trim parts, such as moldings.
However, corrosion of outer trim parts is warranted
for 12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever
comes first.
Corrosion other than perforation, such as cosmetic
or surface corrosion due to defects in materials
or workmanship. This is covered under the
Basic Coverage of the New Vehicle LimitedWarranty.

So up to 36K is bumper to bumper 36-60 you have to wait for rust through, which is stupid, but is the warranty.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 AM

I also am noticing the nicks, but no rust yet. Has your fix held up? Did they put the new screws on? Do you know if there is a service bulletin if I go to the dealership?
So far its holding up, but I've only had the car back for 5 days

They had my car for a whole week waiting for the stupid new part to come in.

I cant believe they havent fixed the problem on all the cars. Like I said, my car was only 4 months old when it started with about 7000 miles, so it certainly was a warranty item. I dont know how it would be treated after the 36k as rader stated.

I had to go through the dealer to get the warranty honored. I took it in to the dealer, they sent me to their body shop. It was the tech at the body shop who knew about the warranty item and standard fix.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM

So far its holding up, but I've only had the car back for 5 days

They had my car for a whole week waiting for the stupid new part to come in.

I cant believe they havent fixed the problem on all the cars. Like I said, my car was only 4 months old when it started with about 7000 miles, so it certainly was a warranty item. I dont know how it would be treated after the 36k as rader stated.

I had to go through the dealer to get the warranty honored. I took it in to the dealer, they sent me to their body shop. It was the tech at the body shop who knew about the warranty item and standard fix.
I did a little test today and left the trunk in the sun. The plastic had expanded and covered the scratches completely, so this is definitely happening on my car.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM

I did a little test today and left the trunk in the sun. The plastic had expanded and covered the scratches completely, so this is definitely happening on my car.
What year ?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 13maximasv
what year ?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM

I have a small spot as well on my 2012 with only 7k km on it!
Going to the dealer tomorrow to get it sorted out
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Hopefully Nissan will step up and cover your friend's rust issue.

As far as Dodge's lack of reliability... My last car was a 2007 Charger R&T. I had it for 6 years and had no major issues. Had that lady not hit me, I'd still be driving her.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM

My trunk lid has several rust colored bumps in the area around the badge.. They are like little tiny zits. Guy at the dealer told me it was normal for this to happen. Starting to think I need to find a new dealer. 2012 btw.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM

My white '09 has two in the same location. =(

I've had it for months now and have gotten used to it. Don't bother spending your $ on the white "pen" that they sell at the shop. It didn't work for me. It actually made it look worse.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I was finally able to wash the car yesterday and found 2 spots where the paint is bubbling from underneath that plastic chrome piece on the trunk lid. Unbelievable how crappy the paint quality is on these cars. Anyone have any luck with the dealer getting this fixed? The car is only 6 months old with 7k miles.
Attached Thumbnails rust on trunk-image.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 AM

FYI someone already explained that this was happening due to that emblem expanding and contracting from the suns heat. So the emblem would need to be reinstalled with screws which are not as tight. From my understanding the screws are too tight. I have a thin line of rust a few inches long going above the emblem. The G37/5's are also experiencing tthis issue. If Nissan is not covering them they wont cover us.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM

This thread and many others only speaks to the larger issue. That the quailty of the vehicle and the support provided by Nissan is pretty disappointing.

I had a 98 Maxima SE for 16 years, great car. Bought a 2014 Sport/Tech two months ago based on the looks and the good luck I had with the 98. If I had it to do over again I would purchase a different brand.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-24-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM

I noticed this exact spot of rust on the 2013 SV that I will be picking up on March 01, 2014. FWIW, the car was built 12/2012. If the dealer doesn't fix it before I pick up it will be a sticking point !

Also, rear hatch areas are prone to rust due to the negative air pressure in these zones. The air flow causes all debris from the road to pick up and blast the back surface. The more vertical the sheet metal section at the rear, the worse it will fair in this 'sand blasting' problem.

Why Nissan doesn't modify the paint spray robot programming to apply a thicker layer of paint in this area is beyond me !!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Why Nissan doesn't modify the paint spray robot programming to apply a thicker layer of paint in this area is beyond me !!
That is because Nissan no longer gives a damn about building a quailty vehicle.

I have been on the 4th Gen forum for years. There was no where near the number of quality issues with those vehicles compared to the 7th Gen.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-24-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM

I have been dealing with the same spot on my trunk lid as well... Just had it repainted... I know its gonna come back over time but atleast its warrantied now... UGH
Old 02-24-2014, 02:19 PM

I also had the same issue with the rust on the trunk lid. Had it repainted and they put a clear 3m sheet under the chrome part. Had the chrome also painted body color.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
This thread and many others only speaks to the larger issue. That the quailty of the vehicle and the support provided by Nissan is pretty disappointing.

I had a 98 Maxima SE for 16 years, great car. Bought a 2014 Sport/Tech two months ago based on the looks and the good luck I had with the 98. If I had it to do over again I would purchase a different brand.
BINGO, sad part is from once these cars started getting built in America is when the QC issues popped up.

I had a 97 I30T that had no problems, original plugs/wires/tranny fluid at 200k............it just ran
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM

That's a sad but true story but nissan had to move things around once the nuclear plant went down and the sunami fallout too . With a company this big yes I am dissapointed in the way they handled the maxima line and there is definately wayyyy more focus on the Altima line .
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM

BINGO, sad part is from once these cars started getting built in America is when the QC issues popped up.

I had a 97 I30T that had no problems, original plugs/wires/tranny fluid at 200k............it just ran
I agree, the Japanese take QC much more seriously. Nissan NA is not a Japanese company they mind as well be Hyundai NA.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-05-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought my 2011 a few weeks ago and after reading this thread had to immediately go out and check my car. Didn't see any rust thank goodness. For those of you that are seeing rust, I'm curious to know where you're located (I'm just outside of Atlanta, GA). I know we seem to think it's Nissan's paint process that is ultimately the culprit, but I am just curious as it seems to affect some and not others.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Not my experience. I've had 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gen. Maximas. The quality and reliability of each succeeding gen. has been a little better than the prior, especially in the areas of rattles and squeaks.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Don't know about the ones in between but two months ago I traded my 16 y.o. 4th Gen for a 2014.

The 4th Gen was easily the better built vehicle. Seeing all the issues, such as rust, that people are having with their 7th Gens is not very reassuring.

I will be amazed if the 7th Gen lasts anywhere near 16 years.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-25-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Another question, is there anything that can be done to help prevent this rust from happening?
Probably just to check admittedly and then hit it with touch up paint when you see the paint strip
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Don't know about the ones in between but two months ago I traded my 16 y.o. 4th Gen for a 2014.

The 4th Gen was easily the better built vehicle. Seeing all the issues, such as rust, that people are having with their 7th Gens is not very reassuring.

I will be amazed if the 7th Gen lasts anywhere near 16 years.
I agree, I think the 4th gen the Max hit its build quality peak. It was a solidly built car and it improved upon the 3rd gen in many areas (bad auto tranny's, high window regulator failure early on etc)!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:10 PM

I have a silver 09 SV sport and there is not a hint of rust in those areas. Just a side note, someone here mentioned that the problem might stem from the emblem moving by the heat up and cool down cycles of the day. My question is if the emblem is attached to the trunk with 3M tape how is the emblem touching the paint? The only thing touching the paint would be the tape.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Good point. Rust generally occurs because water gets into something and does not drain out. More than likely that is what is happening here.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Not my experience. I've had 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gen. Maximas. The quality and reliability of each succeeding gen. has been a little better than the prior, especially in the areas of rattles and squeaks.

You got a good car, congrats
Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM

The area I am talking about is not the nissan emblem, but the long chrome "handle" piece on the trunk. Its been almost a year now (10-11 months) since I had it fixed and i haven't noticed any rust since.

I just called my dealer who processed the claim to see if they have a warranty item number or some other reference for the fix, and they didn't have it listed on my file (which I find kind of odd). He said he would look into it and call me back if he found anything I could direct you guys too. I'm not too optimistic that they will call me back though.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:32 PM

I also have some rust on my 2012 S in that same area. I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow and will try get them to fix it. Do they repaint the entire trunk or do they just fix up that portion of the trunk?. I installed an aftermarket spoiler and i hope they don't remove it during the repaint because its perfect as it is right now and i don't want them messing with it.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2012maximaS
I also have some rust on my 2012 S in that same area. I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow and will try get them to fix it. Do they repaint the entire trunk or do they just fix up that portion of the trunk?. I installed an aftermarket spoiler and i hope they don't remove it during the repaint because its perfect as it is right now and i don't want them messing with it.
I'm not sure how much of the trunk they paint. I don't believe they removed my spoiler when they did it.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM

Sad to say but this appears to be standard operating procedure for Nissan.

The area I am talking about is not the nissan emblem, but the long chrome "handle" piece on the trunk. Its been almost a year now (10-11 months) since I had it fixed and i haven't noticed any rust since.

I just called my dealer who processed the claim to see if they have a warranty item number or some other reference for the fix, and they didn't have it listed on my file (which I find kind of odd). He said he would look into it and call me back if he found anything I could direct you guys too. I'm not too optimistic that they will call me back though.
This also.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Just an update: Talked to the dealership and they gave me no problems. They are going to send it to the bodyshop to get the trunk repainted and will fix the chrome piece so that it doesn't scuff the paint. They will also provide a free rental car.

Quick Reply: rust on trunk