7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

rust on trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM

rust on trunk

so me and my buddy both bought 09 maxima when they came out.. we detailed his car the other day . We noticed right below the Maxima emblem and right about the chrome large strip on trunk in the center was a Rust spot starting to form..
Needless to say he was pissed , no way should a 09 be rusting, any he took it to the dealer today and the guy said we will have someone look at it and brushed it off like it wasnt Nissan poor design or paint flaw. Any way i told him to go back and be FIRM with then and demand it be repainted !!

just something u guys might want to keep and eye on in our cars. i will post pics of his Rust spot when i get a pic
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by whit
so me and my buddy both bought 09 maxima when they came out.. we detailed his car the other day . We noticed right below the Maxima emblem and right about the chrome large strip on trunk in the center was a Rust spot starting to form..
Needless to say he was pissed , no way should a 09 be rusting, any he took it to the dealer today and the guy said we will have someone look at it and brushed it off like it wasnt Nissan poor design or paint flaw. Any way i told him to go back and be FIRM with then and demand it be repainted !!

just something u guys might want to keep and eye on in our cars. i will post pics of his Rust spot when i get a pic
Well, you have 60 months/unlimited mileage from Nissan, so the dealer will have to cover the repair. It's right there in the warranty booklet.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM

My 2010 is rusting on the trunk too, right above the big chrome strip in the middle. The dealership told me they'd fix it for me, I just have to take it in. I like the car, but stuff like this has me looking at the new Charger R/T harder and harder every day.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
My 2010 is rusting on the trunk too, right above the big chrome strip in the middle. The dealership told me they'd fix it for me, I just have to take it in. I like the car, but stuff like this has me looking at the new Charger R/T harder and harder every day.
The new R/T is definitely improved, but it is still a Dodge. Unfortunately, except for the 2 wheel drive 1500, every Dodge model has had either average, worse than average or much worse than average reliability for many years. The R/T definitely passes the 'looks' test and the power test. If reliability is not high on your list, the R/T may be just the vehicle for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The new R/T is definitely improved, but it is still a Dodge. Unfortunately, except for the 2 wheel drive 1500, every Dodge model has had either average, worse than average or much worse than average reliability for many years. The R/T definitely passes the 'looks' test and the power test. If reliability is not high on your list, the R/T may be just the vehicle for you.
LOL... my sentiments exactly.. If you bought the maxima and thought it was a 10 second car then you are not that bright... It is a RELIABLE pretty quick. very quick for its class Luxury Car. I Love the looks... reliabilty and performance of this car and In 4-5 years when its paid off I will do a tranny swap and make it a 11-12 second project car until then enjoy the Reliability.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Sleeper
LOL... my sentiments exactly.. If you bought the maxima and thought it was a 10 second car then you are not that bright... It is a RELIABLE pretty quick. very quick for its class Luxury Car. I Love the looks... reliabilty and performance of this car and In 4-5 years when its paid off I will do a tranny swap and make it a 11-12 second project car until then enjoy the Reliability.
Who said they bought the Max because they thought it was a 10 second car? I want the Charger because it looks awesome and it has everything the Max has plus a V8 for the same price, and I've been missing having the sound of a throaty V8 since I sold my T/A. At the end of the day it still has a 5-year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so it will get fixed for free is something does happen. Why does everybody get defensive when somebody mentions the possibility another vehicle during a friendly conversation?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Wow, it seems like some of you guys just keep getting the worst of the cars coming off the racks. I've been so blessed by God not to have the issues some of you are having and I have an 09 too.

As far as the Charger, I say to each his own but for me; I'm not that fond of them. IMO, the Charger isn't a good looking car but I guess it serves its' purpose and if someone here decides they want one instead of a Maxima then more power to them and I wish them all the best with it.

No need to bash the guy for wanting a Charger though.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

No bashing intended here but I just do not care for the interior of the Charger. The exterior does have a nice flair to it but I could not see myself driving one.

Back to the original topic. There is no reason you guys should be seeing rust on these cars. I'm sure Nissan will make good on these issues but they should not happen in the first place.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 PM

i agree there is no way these cars should have any rust issues.. its not like there 10 yrs old !!

makes me think just how poor Nissan uses primer on there cars, and there paint is very bad also. i heard many many problem and seen it on many 09 MAXIMA and up how the front bumper chips soo easily, **** poor under prime by Nissan...
Old 03-16-2011, 03:18 AM

I am shocked to hear about rust on a two year old car. Unless the paint was missing, it almost seems impossible to rust that quickly.

On the topic of the Charger, the car is getting better and the interior is much improved for 2011. This commercial really shows it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXRM_CWWcQk
Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Sorry about hijacking the thread with a Charger discussion, that wasn't my intent. But while we're at it, I only like them with the Road and Track all black grille with the R/T emblem and the 20" chrome wheels, so I would have to insist that they install those on the AWD R/T Max for me. My dad used to have a 2nd Gen Camaro with the big black grille in the front which I loved, this kind of reminds me of that.

I was shocked to see the rust on the trunk lid as well, even our many GM vehicles have never had any rust until they were 6 or 7 years old. It's not a huge deal because they will fix it, but it is a really bad sign if we're planning on owning these for several years and we end up having to pay for a repaint after the corrosion warranty is up.

Last edited by GEAR_HEAD; 03-16-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 AM

if you put a maximaban charger side by side its gonna look like a POS only thing i like about it is the only thing nice about it is the indents on the doors. most manufactures will have couple bad cars that come off the line. maybe not some high end cars but most manufactures. remember these cars are assembled by americans who knows when they were putting on the embel the paint got scratched and now its rusting.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Need4MaxiSpeed
Well, you have 60 months/unlimited mileage from Nissan, so the dealer will have to cover the repair. It's right there in the warranty booklet.
Keep in mind that the corrosion warranty is for perforation(rust through) and not surface rust.

I feel confident that my dealer - who knows how I care for my cars - would work something out on a fix. But a warranty fix for surface rust is not a given.

A quick perusal of other forums will show that virtually all owners complain about paint on newer cars. The culprit, according to my bodyshop owner/friend, is EPA compliant paints.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM

can anyone post pic of this rust?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM

Saw huge rust!

I was driving on the interstate in the Chicago area and saw a white 09 with a huge rust spot on the trunk lid, right in the middle. the rust stain was dripping down, running over the chrome strip. This caused me huge concern, I was with my girlfriend and she said "didn't you spend like 35 grandfor this?" Lets just hope it doesn't end up like the little toyota truck beds from the 80's.....
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM

I have an 09, no rust and love the charger need to see pictures of this rust

Last edited by STARR; 03-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM

I'm in the salt and sand region up in Canada for roads safety in the winter. I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I do notice hard to rub off brown dots in the white pearl, and I have noticed that the grime is a lot harder to remove then my previous cars that I've owned when I wash my car.

With waterborne paint being implemented as standard manufacturing back in I believe late 07 early 08.. Id be curious to know if this could be a contributor? Could be related to prep.. and manufacturing being new to the systems and procedures? Just thoughts.

Also the body panels have some wicked contouring, which would be hard to manufacture with standard break press and tool and die. I haven't done the magnet test yet, but are these body panels made of aluminum? The hood is crazy light for the size.

Something to think about....with out knowing what the true root cause is. Hopefully it's not "all body" related if people are starting to notice it only on the trunk lid so far.

Edit:
Body Panels are metal and the hood is aluminum (I think). Had to do the magnet test for myself lol.

Last edited by Se7enth_Gen; 03-16-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Can one of you guys with the rust post a pic? Curious to see how bad it really is.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM

I thought the hood and trunk were aluminum
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
I thought the hood and trunk were aluminum
Mine isn't. I did the magnet trick and the only part that the magnet doesn't stick to is the hood.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Mine isn't. I did the magnet trick and the only part that the magnet doesn't stick to is the hood.
The hood, front bumper, front facia, outside rear view mirrors, rear bumper and splash guards are all aluminum or plastic.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The hood, front bumper, front facia, outside rear view mirrors, rear bumper and splash guards are all aluminum or plastic.
and to add to that, the large chrome strip on the trunk is a piece of plastic
Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Where are the pics at? Just curious to see what you guys are talking about. I wouldn't sweat it. 60 months and unlimited miles. So if it is rusting, that will cover it. If they don't then find a good dealer, not a smuck
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Back when I had my 09' Maxima I was having this same issue with there being rust spots as well. When I traded it in and was taking off my license plate I noticed that the rust spots were also making there way away from the Chrome strip as well. Never was sure where it was coming from.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Very common on the Infiniti G37's as well. Nissan really effed up when it comes to the paint on these cars. Here's a link from the G37 forum where its mentioned.

http://myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/21...the-trunk.html
Old 03-28-2011, 09:02 AM

yikes! that is crazy. good info by the way
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM

I have a small rust spot right above the fake-chrome piece on the trunk where they meet the body. Not sure wtf is going on here but that is pretty wack...
Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here is a pic of my rust. Located right of emblem where the chrome trim meets the trunk.
http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=25625
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just Checked My Truck

I just read this thread and went out to check my max. I found some very slight rusting beginning to form in the exact areas on the trunk as everyone else; above the chrome strip below the emblem. I will be taking this to the dealer and will not except anything less than new paint!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM

My 09 has got nothing
Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have rust in the same place as well, and my dealer says oh you must have scratched it so sorry about your luck. And I thought it might be so but now that i read this I might have to go back to the dealer.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 AM

This is not good. I'll look into getting info to Nissan. They might jump on because it is embarrassing. It seems grounds for a new trunk lid to me but I'd want to know the flaw was handled.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Love my '09

After reading this thread, I just had to go check my 09. Not a spec.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM

I have had my car for 3 months and I too have some rust forming in the same area though more towards the nissan symbol. This thread seems dead anyone else realizing their having this issue?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 AM

I just washed my 09 last night and I don't have any rust forming. During the winter salt is not used here for snow clearing so that has to help alot.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Nissan should be fixing this issue. No way should Any
2009 up be rusting !!
The dealership told my friend unless its rusted thru
Nothing they will do. That's such BS, it's a
Huge primer/paint defect that's should be addressed

I've been told over and over how bad Nissan paint is.

This is another reason I will NOT be purchasing another Nissan car ever again nor recommend one to anyone.
Who cares how good they run if there gonna rust out and be worth
**** when selling or trading.

A dealership or Nissan not fixing all the Above issues of rust spots is just BS
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I just washed my 09 last night and I don't have any rust forming. During the winter salt is not used here for snow clearing so that has to help alot.
The issue has nothing to do w salt in the winter months
I live in Ma. Had many new cars and driven thru many
Winters and they salt heavily here. None ever
Rusted. Not like the trunk spot on my
Friends Maxima after one year

It's clearly a paint/ primer defect

My Maxima isn't doing it YET though
Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM

My car is a 2011 which has 12k km on it; i think its complete crap. I haven't taken it to a dealership yet, but i know their not going to fix it. I have heard that the gmc terrain has a similar issue and apparently gm is fixing them. Aside from that what are we to do? go to a body shop... i dunno i've never dealt with a rust issue before.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by whit
The issue has nothing to do w salt in the winter months
I live in Ma. Had many new cars and driven thru many
Winters and they salt heavily here. None ever
Rusted. Not like the trunk spot on my
Friends Maxima after one year

It's clearly a paint/ primer defect

My Maxima isn't doing it YET though
My 2010 shows no indications.

This type defect is more in the coverage (or lack of) primer and paint.
Any base metal exposure due to either a lack of paint coverage or wear from attached parts can result in corrosion.
Definitely take your vehicle back in to the dealer and negotiate an acceptable resolution to the problem.
This falls into actual body type work, not some guy sanding and using the touch-up pen/brush.

Last edited by dr_2010SV; 03-17-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 AM

mine has rust but i thought it was from my license plate... smh

Quick Reply: rust on trunk