7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

rust on trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2012maximaS
Just an update: Talked to the dealership and they gave me no problems. They are going to send it to the bodyshop to get the trunk repainted and will fix the chrome piece so that it doesn't scuff the paint. They will also provide a free rental car.
Great news. If you can, try to get some better information from the dealer/bodyshop as to what this fix is referred to or a part number for the other guys on here. There was a specific kit for this repair that they ordered from Nissan, however my search came up empty when trying to get more info a year later.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 2013 5k miles i purchased 4 months ago brand new. I saw some rust color spot in that area thought it was road grime..just looked closer after a wash..its rusting. Awesome.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:48 PM

Sorry to hear. Nissan sure knows how to take the joy out of purchasing a new car.

There must be water that gets trapped somewhere and causes the rust. Even if the rust spot is repaired. If the water continues to get in there and does not have a way to drain out the repair won't last.

Since is has been happening since the 2009 model year I'm sure Nissan will have a TSB for it any day now.

Last edited by Nopike; 03-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM

I have noticed rust development on my rear wheel well. The car is a 2012 with 38,000km on it. This should not be happening. I'll show it to my dealer tomorrow at my oil change.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaximaRaj
I have noticed rust development on my rear wheel well. The car is a 2012 with 38,000km on it. This should not be happening. I'll show it to my dealer tomorrow at my oil change.

Hi did you dealer do anything about this. I have rust near the chrome part of my trunk also.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max
Great news. If you can, try to get some better information from the dealer/bodyshop as to what this fix is referred to or a part number for the other guys on here. There was a specific kit for this repair that they ordered from Nissan, however my search came up empty when trying to get more info a year later.
Update: I asked Dealer about what they did with the trunk to fix the rust spots and they said the bodyshop repainted the entire trunk and put a plastic liner behind the chrome trim but no longer bolts or any kit from nissan. They also had to remove my spoiler which i was afraid of and sure enough, it was slightly off center when the car was returned. I checked the spoiler bolts and they also lost one of the locking washers holding the spoiler down. The repair was good however i still see a paint bubble 1mm in diameter near the bottom of the chrome trim that i believe i saw when i gave them the car so i'm doubting they repainted the entire trunk... and i hope that bubble doesn't start rusting.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 AM

^^^ that's knew reason I never let a dealer touch any bodywork on my cars. There all hacks, otherwise they'd be working at a good body shop being paid more for there experience. I'd rather pay out of pocket to have it done right.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM

I absolutely agree and concur about the body work I had my hood painted three times until they got it right then they painted my rear bumper also . Overspray , not clean edges had to remove myself . They sub out the work to horrible other shops in my experience and don't even check it out again they just say it's ready .
Old 04-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Sounds like you guys are a big inconvenience to the Nissan dealers. Once they have sold the vehicle they really do not care much about the product or the customer.

I know it is expecting a lot but it would be nice for Nissan to determine the cause of the rust. Because if the cause is not determined there is a good possibility it will just come back again.

Last edited by Nopike; 04-13-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:08 PM

I am not a inconvenience maybe you are ?customer satisfaction is what it's about and the repeat customer and great service yes if the car has a factory warrant intact yes it's there fault . It was a default in the paint so it had to be fixed . Thank you . And a blown door speaker at 19,009 miles ? Right get real buddy . So you work at a nissan dealership ? Maybe ? Let's take a lesson in customer satisfaction .
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by koreanthunda
I am not a inconvenience maybe you are ?customer satisfaction is what it's about and the repeat customer and great service yes if the car has a factory warrant intact yes it's there fault . It was a default in the paint so it had to be fixed . Thank you . And a blown door speaker at 19,009 miles ? Right get real buddy . So you work at a nissan dealership ? Maybe ? Let's take a lesson in customer satisfaction .
I think you misunderstood. My point is that Nissan dealers treat customers like an inconvenience instead of treating them right.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM

With that said yes they do.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 AM

i had the same problem, small rust spot just above the chrome, had a shop repair it as the dealer would not touch it. once fixed i installed 3 small plastic washers between the chrome plate and the car, this created a small gap. hopefully this trick will eliminate the rubbing which created the rust. another option is to remove the existing small foam trim behind the chrome piece and add a thicker one to create more of gap.
Attached Thumbnails rust on trunk-img_20140331_091816.jpg   rust on trunk-img_20140331_091747.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 AM

I just bought a 2011 SV. The day after I bought it I noticed something black sticking out behind the chrome handle on the trunk. Upon further inspection, it turned out to be black electrical tape that the last owner put under the handle. He didnt do that great of a job but whe I look closer I can see a very very small spot or maybe a rust bubble about the size of a BB next to the tape. Im wondering if warranty was voided by that last owner for putting that tape there.
Anyway, Im off to the dealer to see what they say.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:21 PM

To mitigate the issue returning, do not open or close the trunk by using the chrome trim piece. Open or close the trunk by leveraging against the spoiler or on the actual bottom piece of the trunk, and close by using a considerable amount of torque to pull it down. This will prevent the flexing of the cheap plastic trim on the trunk and having water seep into the gap.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:32 PM

Just got Maxima back from body shop after getting in an accident a few weeks ago. Lo and behold, as I was inspecting the body shop repair area (rear side fender) I noted that I also have rust around the long handle chrome piece that has been described in this thread.

I saw this thread shortly after getting car and never used the chrome piece to raise the trunk. Car is washed every week, by hand as often as possible.

After a botched small rust repair on the Armada by the dealer's paint guy (basically their guy put a little touchup paint on it and called it good), I have learned to bite the bullet and will take this to the real body shop to get fixed.

I hate to say, but this Maxima is a POS compared to my old Camry, which still looked/drove like new after 150,000+ miles. My Maxima only has 23,000 miles and I have already had the bearing issue (around 4,000 miles) and now this. Just waiting for my driver's seat to start rocking and I'll experience the trifecta!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Noticed 1/16 inch rust stop like others where trunk chrome meets paint, two weeks ago. Dealers paint "man" is repairing next week and said he requires vehicle all day. Wondering if you can actually "repair" a small rust spot. Dealership was aware of rust issues on Maxima and indicated they needed to prevent movement of chrome piece in future. The part that irritates me is that the dealer was well aware of the issue for some time...why wouldn't they have my car in a year or two ago to put something between the paint and the chrome so the rust did not happen.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
Noticed 1/16 inch rust stop like others where trunk chrome meets paint, two weeks ago. Dealers paint "man" is repairing next week and said he requires vehicle all day. Wondering if you can actually "repair" a small rust spot. Dealership was aware of rust issues on Maxima and indicated they needed to prevent movement of chrome piece in future. The part that irritates me is that the dealer was well aware of the issue for some time...why wouldn't they have my car in a year or two ago to put something between the paint and the chrome so the rust did not happen.
Hi 240tomax
I just noted same issue on my car (2013 SV white) - I am from Vancouver - what dealer you dealing with, I am thinking of taking my car to the dealer for fixing.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Arek
Hi 240tomax
I just noted same issue on my car (2013 SV white) - I am from Vancouver - what dealer you dealing with, I am thinking of taking my car to the dealer for fixing.
Hi Arek, I am up in the interior and deal with Kelowna Nissan and have found their service to be very good over the years. They were very supportive in dealing with Corporate Nissan when my 2006 Maxima required a new engine and transmission under warranty a few years back.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM

Resurrecting this thread with a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone successfully had the dealership cover this under the corrosion warranty, and not the bumper to bumper warranty?

2) If you brought it to an independent shop, what did they charge you for fixing this?

3) Has anyone had this fixed and not had the issue come back? I'm wondering what the true key to success is to make sure it is fixed properly the first time.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by tbm5690
Resurrecting this thread with a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone successfully had the dealership cover this under the corrosion warranty, and not the bumper to bumper warranty?

2) If you brought it to an independent shop, what did they charge you for fixing this?

3) Has anyone had this fixed and not had the issue come back? I'm wondering what the true key to success is to make sure it is fixed properly the first time.

Thanks!
I had it repaired under warranty but im not sure which warranty they applied. I only had my car for 6 months when i had it done.

Mine has not returned. They changed the screws that hold the chrome trim piece on to slightly longer ones so that it doesnt rub the paint as it expands and contracts with temp changes.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM

I had mine repaired exactly a year ago under the bumper to bumper warranty. As part of the "fix" they left the chrome piece a bit loose. I noticed that the initial repair had failed and the rust is back. I am currently working with the dealership as we speak to remedy the reoccurring rust. Their body shop that completed the first repair has apparently agreed to fix the rust again.