7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Interface and random/shuffle function

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM

iPod Interface and random/shuffle function

I prefer to run my iPod on shuffle and hit skip whenever it lands on a song I'm not diggin. However, when I hit the next track button it skips to the next track on the album, not the next shuffle track like it would when controled directly on the ipod. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so were you able to fix it?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 PM

Hasn't Happened to me. Make sure you choose your music through the car and not by using the search function if it's an ipod touch.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:53 PM
YTV

Originally Posted by Seanst34
I prefer to run my iPod on shuffle and hit skip whenever it lands on a song I'm not diggin. However, when I hit the next track button it skips to the next track on the album, not the next shuffle track like it would when controled directly on the ipod. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so were you able to fix it?
Make sure to chose shuffle songs through the radio interface and not through the ipod.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM

Personally I think the Ipod interface is sub-par...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by YTV
Make sure to chose shuffle songs through the radio interface and not through the ipod.
Thanks I'll try that
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 AM
TBA

Originally Posted by maxxxxspeed
I used to think it was pretty good. Then I got a look at the interface on my wife's new Acadia. Although similar, the Acadia is much easier to select music.

The Acadia's XM interface is an order of magnitude better than my 09 Maxima. It can displays all the stations in a category, and allows you to select stations from that category. You can also remove categories you don't want to see, and mix and match favorites presets on the same page (AM, FM, XM). The difference is so big to enjoying XM, it's kind of hard to believe. I'm not sure if the 2010 and 2011 Maxima interface is better in this regard.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TBA
I used to think it was pretty good. Then I got a look at the interface on my wife's new Acadia. Although similar, the Acadia is much easier to select music.

The Acadia's XM interface is an order of magnitude better than my 09 Maxima. It can displays all the stations in a category, and allows you to select stations from that category. You can also remove categories you don't want to see, and mix and match favorites presets on the same page (AM, FM, XM). The difference is so big to enjoying XM, it's kind of hard to believe. I'm not sure if the 2010 and 2011 Maxima interface is better in this regard.
The Maxima/Murano system allows you to do all those and more.

The radio can also be set to "favorite" songs or artists so that whenever they come on anywhere within the network it will come up with a prompt asking if you would like to tune into it. This option is disabled by default and therefor makes me think most people don't even know it can do this.

I know you can for a fact:

1) Customize what channels appear from the lineup
2) Jump categories by the press of a button
3) Set favorite Song / Artists to auto tune in

Look under the settings for sat radio, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Don't know if there is a difference between the 2009 from my 2010 interface.

iPod - Under the settings menu when you have iPod/USB as your source, there is a shuffle option of either shuffling songs or album. Make sure you select songs because album will only shuffle the album

XM Interface - the only feature I am missing from an actual XM portable radio is that I cannot BROWSE what songs are playing on the other stations without having to tune to that channel. Otherwise, everything is functional with the steering wheel controls
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
YTV

Originally Posted by maxxxxspeed
I actually think the ipod interface is quite good from what Ive used in other cars and home systems.

Now if Nissan could get some decent heated seats, that would be nice. That is one area where GM cars excel. Every GM car I use the seats heat up immediately and get and stay hot. Can't say the same on our 2 Nissans or our 2 previous Toyota's which were even worse.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by YTV
I actually think the ipod interface is quite good from what Ive used in other cars and home systems.
+1, you bet!

Originally Posted by YTV
Now if Nissan could get some decent heated seats, that would be nice. That is one area where GM cars excel. Every GM car I use the seats heat up immediately and get and stay hot. Can't say the same on our 2 Nissans or our 2 previous Toyota's which were even worse.
I couldn't agree more as well. I had a 2006 Cadillac STS and the heated seats became warm very very quickly.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:19 AM
TBA

Originally Posted by Ricko

The radio can also be set to "favorite" songs or artists so that whenever they come on anywhere within the network it will come up with a prompt asking if you would like to tune into it. This option is disabled by default and therefor makes me think most people don't even know it can do this.

I think you don't have a 2009 Maxima. The Nav / Radio systems were changed between the 2009 and 2010 MY Maximas. I checked last night (system and manual) and none of those three capabilities exist on my car. There is also no separate setting area for satellite radio.

The manuals for 2010/2011 mention these capabilities.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TBA
I think you don't have a 2009 Maxima. The Nav / Radio systems were changed between the 2009 and 2010 MY Maximas. I checked last night (system and manual) and none of those three capabilities exist on my car. There is also no separate setting area for satellite radio.

The manuals for 2010/2011 mention these capabilities.
I had a 2010 Maxima SV with Technology and Cold Packages.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ricko

I have the SV Sport W/Monitor Package and I can't seem to access the menu noted above. I can't access the iPod settings either. Looks like the monitor package only lets you plug and play with the standard setting on both XM and the iPod interface

Anyone else had better luck without the Tech package?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
TBA

Originally Posted by Seanst34
I have the SV Sport W/Monitor Package and I can't seem to access the menu noted above. I can't access the iPod settings either. Looks like the monitor package only lets you plug and play with the standard setting on both XM and the iPod interface

Anyone else had better luck without the Tech package?
Take a look in your manual. There are several different radio options; find your type and see what can be done. I think the monitor package was offered starting in 2010, so the features may be exclusive to the tech option.

I seem to recall that for 2009 the iPod connectivity was limited to the Tech package, and a significant driver for me to get that option.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by TBA
Take a look in your manual. There are several different radio options; find your type and see what can be done. I think the monitor package was offered starting in 2010, so the features may be exclusive to the tech option.

I seem to recall that for 2009 the iPod connectivity was limited to the Tech package, and a significant driver for me to get that option.

The manual is poorly written in this regard. It seems to only address XM in the Nav/Tech model and not the Monitor model. From my experience the XM function is much more basic in the monitor package. No searching based on music type or artist alerts. No big deal.

The iPod interface is included in the monitor package. I was finally able to get the shuffle function working properly by disconnecting my iPod and starting the shuffle by song function while unplugged. I then plugged it into the Max's USB while operational. It booted up and the shuffle has worked properly ever since. Both the wheel mounted and radio skip buttons will now skip to the next shuffled song....hurray!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
TBA

Has anyone tried to get update their 2009 nav firmware to the 2010/2011 version?

I know there are some hardware differences in the system (DVD player, for one). I'm curious if it would be possible to get some of the new UI layout and features of the 2010/2011 in the 2009 systems. For example the XM menu settings and additional XM memory settings (XM 1, 2, 3 vs. XM 1, 2).

I suppose it's possible that there are other hardware changes that would preclude it (new XM module, new Bluetooth module), but it would be nice to know if it's even possible.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got my iPod connector stolen and was wondering where can I get a replacement
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM
zmos

Originally Posted by BamBam007
I got my iPod connector stolen and was wondering where can I get a replacement
Best Buy, Frys, or even radio shack will have them.