7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2012 Maxima - Official Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sg1214
You guys are both right, Nissan cant afford to lose Millions of dollars just to make a few enthuisiasts happy.
BMW which is a company selling cars for enthusiast is not doing away with manuals but has made it a special order option cause the manuals are not selling and sadly the truth is, the people who want the manuals are not buying the cars new, and BMW/Nissan is not making cars for what the 2nd/3rd owners want.

As much as I want a manual, but not in a Maxima, the 370Z is so much better with the 7 speed auto, my buddy bought a 370 with the 7AT over the 6MT and he was the type of person who said he would never own an auto.

Back to the original topic, I really hope the TPMS on the 2012 is nothing more then a software upgrade with new TPS, cause I would most definitely drop 500 bucks to see my actual tire pressure of each tire, my fathers FX has it and I could never believe my 09 lacked it
Old 05-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im new to this so bare with me..

Im having a difficult time with this decision...I was between leasing the fully loaded maxima or the infiniti G37.Now I know theres cars are comepletely different but theres things I like about each. For example I know that Infiniti is nissans luxury brand but in my oppinion the maxima is far more luxurious ex. the panaramix roof the turn signal lights things like that. Now what I like better in the infiniti is the perfomance and from what ive been hearing even tho the maxima is a 4dsc it doesnt really ride sporty...its obviously not as tight on turns and stuff..i would like you guys oppinion on my situation and being as how i assume many of you have the maxima i would like to know how does it ride?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 PM

My Max rides real tight, bc I have the Sport package. You can always get eibach springs and sway bars. But if u want the best handling car, You should get the G37S w/o a doubt, the sport suspension, BBK, RWD and the sportier steering ratio will without a doubt feel much better than that of the Maxima.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM

I feel the 'biggies' in your decision should include:

The FWD vs RWD difference. I will never again own a RWD car. I drove them from 1949 until 1984 and never liked the RWD 'push' through curves. I much prefer the FWD 'pull' when driving curvy mountain roads at speed, as it gives less 'plow' (tendency of the car to keep going straight) in curves. FWD is safer in inclimate weather, also, as the weight is over the drive wheels.

But most sports car drivers prefer the feel of RWD, which is better for drifting, off the line accelleration and 'near the edge' excitement.

Auto tranny vs CVT. These have a TOTALLY different feel, and it took me awhile to learn the nuances of the CVT. At first, I preferred the auto, but I now prefer the CVT, which is a more efficient tranny. But folks not used to driving a CVT will usually prefer an auto tranny. Drive them both and pay close attention to the tranny.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Now i know the g37 would def handle better ...But how much better are we talking? I mean the maxima is supposed to be a sport car. Is the maxima more in line with something like the accord as far as sporty feel?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 PM

In case you may not have been keeping up closely with the Maxima, it is not the 'affordable '4DSC' of days gone by. It is now more of a sporty four door near-luxury vehicle. The Premium with Tech package now lists above $40K. But I still have not see a vehicle with all the goodies found in the Maxima for an equivalent price.

With my ancient hands that have long since lost all circulation, I will never own a vehicle without a heated steering wheel. The Premium package in my Maxima has that. I use the power sunscreen in the back window also. And I have loaded many dozens of CDs onto the hard drive of the Music Box, so never have to have CDs in the car.

The Maxima with the Sports package has 19" wheels and 40 profile tires, and is rather sporty. But I prefer the loaded Premium version with 18" wheels and 45 profile tires.

I make the ride slightly firmer and more controlled by carrying 37 psi in the front and 36 psi in the rear, instead of the 33 all around that Nissan recommends. With my style of driving, I am getting very even tire wear with this higher psi. This higher psi also makes for sharper turns with less lean. This car corners very well, and has a very tight turn radius - 4 feet tighter than the '04 thru '08 Maximas had.

I love the way this Maxima handles. I also like the ride; fairly firm, but not harsh. I take lots of long freeway trips with my wife, and we do not want to feel like we're riding a buckboard.

You should also consider such things as the distance to each dealer, how each dealer treats you, what kind of deal each dealer offers, etc.

But I would sugest you take the time to test drive both vehicles before making a decision. Little things like the roomier interior of the Maxima may be important to you, or may not. This is serious money you will be spending, and you want to be happy with whatever you choose.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 PM
RKS

Red face

Originally Posted by Sertav
Now i know the g37 would def handle better ...But how much better are we talking? I mean the maxima is supposed to be a sport car. Is the maxima more in line with something like the accord as far as sporty feel?
TLR; It is a whole different ball game.

I got my first Max in 1995. The 3.0 VQ was introduced and matched with a 5-Speed manual, I was sold. I got a loaded black/black SE and drove the shlt out of it. After 7 years and about 200,000 miles later it was still running strong. With a new family I wanted something newer. I donated the 95 SE and jumped right into a 2002 3.5 VQ with a 6-Speed manual. The power difference caused a permanent grin on my face. I loved the car and put about 150,000 hard miles on it even though I started having some oil consumption issues. I rode out the abomination that was the 6th gen Max (IMHO) and was pleasantly surprised by the new Maxima design.

My wife who has loved both Maximas wanted yet another Maxima, she also thought the new Max was gorgeous; then I told her about the CVT. After a test drive, we felt too "dis-engaged" from the car.

There are only a few options for a new sports sedan with a true manual for about $40K - $50K. We were down to the 335i, G37, and STI. Subaru wouldn't give me a test drive without commitment to purchase, the 335i had/has HPFP issues and still cost $10K over a comparably priced G37.

My wife loved the M56 "S" but we didn't want to spend $60K on a car yet.
After waiting for a couple months we finally got our 2012 G37 "S" sedan with the 6-speed manual. I'm at about 9000 miles, Eibachs, and a FSTB and the car handles like, well, like a rwd sports sedan should. It seems predictable, no oversteer, and car can whip out the rear if you aren't careful or have the VDC off. I have rediscovered my lead foot and my kids even love the rear seats (though they might not be too great for a adults during an extended trip). Compared to the Maximas, the G37 stays planted. When I corner that would have caused issues in the Max; it's well within the capability of the G37.

While the exterior and interior are better than ever; the Max should go ahead and remove the 4DSC designation because (again IMHO) it's been emasculated. It's target market is now older and emphasizes luxury over sport and it is evident in the ride.

Sorry about the rambling.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Im having a difficult time with this decision...I was between leasing the fully loaded maxima or the infiniti G37.
Before I bought the Maxima, I was considering a G37 as well. There are a couple of reasons why I finally chose the Maxima. The value of the Maxima is unbeatable as far as the creature comforts since some of the tech that's found in the Infinitis has trickled it's way into the Maxima. The Maxima also has a dynamic enough ride that I find fun to drive. Now I was looking for a daily driver that's also fun to drive, but I don't need all out performance. I already have a RWD/MT sports car in my garage for that. For me, the Maxima is more comfortable in the driver's seating than the G was. I found the G seats a little too small and leg room lacking (I'm 6'1").

And you have to admit that the front of the Maxima is too damn sexy.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Yea, I would take the design ofn the 7 Gen over the g37 sedan anyday! Those non-sport g37 sedans look like they are missing something. If ur gonna go for the G make sure you get the Sport model.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Yea, I would take the design ofn the 7 Gen over the g37 sedan anyday! Those non-sport g37 sedans look like they are missing something. If ur gonna go for the G make sure you get the Sport model.
Better yet, if you're gonna get an infiniti, get a m. I think infiniti purposely made the g look kinda bland to appeal to more buyers.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea i actually did test drive them both...The thing is where i live in ny a test drive is 2 min long and its basically around the corner and back...needless to say i didnt get a good feel for either car just yet...My only concern with the maxima which i think already has enough hp is the handling...in my oppinion a front wheel drive car with that much hp isnt gunna corner worth a dahm..if i went solely on looks alone in my oppinion its a no brainer maxima wins that one, now if i go on sheer performance than the G blows it out the picture....i Honestly dont know..which is why i asked is the maxima that unsporty of a ride.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own a G37S convertible and love the car. handles like a dream and is awesome with the top off.. Love my Max as well, two total different rides..
I love Nissan products now, I used to like Honda but Nissan is much better now.

Last edited by stevelam; 05-30-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You say there different rides...i will like to know how so?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You say there different rides...i will like to know how so?
- The Max Is a CVT Automatic, The G is a 6 speed Manual.
- The Max is 4 Door Sedan, The G is a 2 Door Coupe Hardtop Convertible
- The Max has good handling but not like my G, its more stiff and less body roll.
- The Max has a 3.5 and the G has 3.7 engine, both nice to drive but still different.
- The Max is FWD and the G is RWD.
- The Max is White and the G is Black.. Dont know what u mean by how so?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Like you, I enjoyed my manuals. But I understand manuals are less practical and less desired in today's world.

And in today's world, your beef is grossly misplaced. You and the buying public need look no further than the nearest mirror.

Nissan gave us a manual tranny option on the Maxima for decades. But the buying public gradually bought fewer and fewer manuals. When Nissan could no longer get dealers to even accept manual trannie Maximas, they had absolutely no earthly reason to produce them.

At this point, with the impending government fuel efficiency requirements, there is even less reason to produce manuals, which are less efficient than the CVT, and falling further behind each year.

I loved the Pierce-Arrow, and I loved my Studebaker, but understand those no longer fit the needs of today's world.

Time passes and things change. We either change with the times or are left behind.
Well said and 100% correct. You took the words from my mouth.

On the bright side, this should only continue to push what aftermarket the Maxima does have to look closer at expanding on what the CVT does well.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by FlawleZ
On the bright side, this should only continue to push what aftermarket the Maxima does have to look closer at expanding on what the CVT does well.
Yes. That will happen.

The way I look at this is that the manual tranny has been around for a hundred years, and has little room left for meaningful improvement. By contrast, the CVT is still a long way from reaching its potential.

Within another ten years or so, I feel the CVT will be so much more efficient than shifting trannies (manual or automatic) that it will become the standard tranny for many, if not most cars.

The CVT may not be as much fun for those of us who grew up in a manual world, but, with world energy conditions gradually deteriorating, efficiency will increasingly take much higher precedence than fun.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

Big disappointment dropping the auto up/down rear mirrors. I use that feature a lot.
gizzsdad - I responded to your post a week or two ago, not catching the fact your post is incorrect.

Nissan is NOT dropping the auto up/down rear MIRRORS, they are dropping the auto up/down REAR DOOR WINDOWS, which were only in the Premium package.

The outside mirrors in the '12 will still tilt down so we can see the curb when we put the car in reverse.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
CVT = FAIL as only option....GTFO out Nissan...give us some options instead of wasting all your money and time on the Murano Cross Cabriolet...
Enough already about the CVT. Nissan offers manuals and RWD. Quit your *****ing and just go get a 370Z or G37 and be done with it.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
CVT = FAIL as only option....GTFO out Nissan...give us some options instead of wasting all your money and time on the Murano Cross Cabriolet...
You have an option. G37S.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
Enough already about the CVT. Nissan offers manuals and RWD. Quit your *****ing and just go get a 370Z or G37 and be done with it.
*****ing about the CVT is all they have going on 6 years
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM

This is great news, for me at least. The limited edition S is exactly the car I wanted to begin with. It has all the extra features I want and is missing the leather that I hate. Only other thing I could ask for is a heated steering wheel. I just wonder what the car market is going to be like if/when I decide to trade my vehicle in.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 PM

Wat I would do to have a g37 Coupe sitting in the driveway next to my Maxima. One can only dream.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM

BTW Smarty the Altima is not being redesigned for the 12 Model year (remember you were wondering about it in your thread), it will be all new for 13. They are doing a 6 yr run this go around with it, you can go Nissanusa.com and build your 12 Alti now I was informed.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
BTW Smarty the Altima is not being redesigned for the 12 Model year (remember you were wondering about it in your thread), it will be all new for 13. They are doing a 6 yr run this go around with it, you can go Nissanusa.com and build your 12 Alti now I was informed.
^ Big mistake on Nissan's part. The Altima and Camry are them most dated of the mid size sedans and were due to have one.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM

^ Big mistake on Nissan's part. The Altima and Camry are them most dated of the mid size sedans and were due to have one.
Maybe not (for Nissan anyway), they are still selling very well. According to the last sales in for I googled up.

"2011 Nissan AltimaIn a surprise, the midsize 2011 Nissan Altima ranked number one passenger sedan for the month of March with sales of 32,289"
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by jhatfie
Maybe not (for Nissan anyway), they are still selling very well. According to the last sales in for I googled up.

"2011 Nissan AltimaIn a surprise, the midsize 2011 Nissan Altima ranked number one passenger sedan for the month of March with sales of 32,289"
New Camry is being built, coming in september, Altima sells well but will never outsell Camrys, Toyota can build 450k+, Nissan only about 200K a year
Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2010.html

Alti is the 3rd best selling midsize and continues to sell strong after all of these years, as Starr said it will probably remain 3rd which is good for it considering all of the other newer alternatives out there. People like the Accord/Camry/Altima trio with the Alti still remaining the Sportiest and best looking of the trio. Amazing these 3 cars outsell all of their competition despite being some of the older offerings in their segments!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 06-07-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM

At least the Altima has some sort of drving dynamic, even the 2.5S the Camry is just a car taht you get in, turn the key and drive to your destination. It has no personality and in My opinion is just str8 up
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM

At least the Altima has some sort of drving dynamic, even the 2.5S the Camry is just a car taht you get in, turn the key and drive to your destination. It has no personality and in My opinion is just str8 up

Yep. The Altima is not the first car that comes to mind for those into style or statements. But it looks rather nice, is reliable, reasonably fun to drive, and is one of the best pure transportation cars available for the price. That is why very practical rating agencies such as Consumer Reports have rated the Altima as best in class every year since this current generation arrived at dealers. For those who still aren't sure what that means, CU is saying the Altima is a better vehicle and better buy than such cars as the Camry or Accord.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 AM

I feel the 'biggies' in your decision should include:

The FWD vs RWD difference. I will never again own a RWD car. I drove them from 1949 until 1984 and never liked the RWD 'push' through curves. I much prefer the FWD 'pull' when driving curvy mountain roads at speed, as it gives less 'plow' (tendency of the car to keep going straight) in curves. FWD is safer in inclimate weather, also, as the weight is over the drive wheels.

But most sports car drivers prefer the feel of RWD, which is better for drifting, off the line accelleration and 'near the edge' excitement.
Rear wheel drive also has better weight distribution thus better handling versus a FWD car. I agree they feel different but FWD does not handle better. This is why all true sports cars are either RWD or AWD.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Correct, it is way more fun to drive than those 2. The only one that sorta rivals it in fun and sportiness is the Mazda 6 in this segment. The Cam has always been a bore mobile, the Accord on the other hand has use to be fun to drive but in the past few gens it has gotten more boring to drive with the current being a snore to drive and look at.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by stevelam
I own a G37S convertible and love the car. handles like a dream and is awesome with the top off.. Love my Max as well, two total different rides..
I love Nissan products now, I used to like Honda but Nissan is much better now.

You lucky bastard! I REALLY like that G!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 AM

My schedule permits me to buy now or wait till the 2012 pictures are released. Thoughts? Any ideas when pictures may be released?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

the cvt isnt that bad, it keeps engine at high rpms so its at peak power

we'd all love a 6 speed but the cvt keeps it at its power point the entire race or speed up instead of dropping rpms, and as a traditional auto switches gears it like falls back then picks back up, while a cvt is constant go. so its not horrible, and it keeps mpg's decently, not like anyone has a max because of the good mpgs lol
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_L
My schedule permits me to buy now or wait till the 2012 pictures are released. Thoughts? Any ideas when pictures may be released?
I will be surprised if we don't have photos of the '12 Maxima within the next month, possibly within a week or two.

While the new model year of the same gen usually begins production in mid-July and begins arriving at some dealers in early-to-mid August, release of half-generation Maximas (as the '12 will be) is usually preceeded by advertising in either June or July, with the new half-gen models being produced the entire month of July and arriving at dealers either late July or the first week of August.

In other words, it won't be long now.

If you intend to buy the 'S' with the new Limited Edition Pkg (a super package), you have no choice but to wait.

Otherwise, unless you particularly want the new, FUNCTIONAL (the current one is borderline non-functional) Tire Pressure Monitoring System, I would await the '12 photos and then decide.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jommbi
This is great news, for me at least. The limited edition S is exactly the car I wanted to begin with. It has all the extra features I want and is missing the leather that I hate. Only other thing I could ask for is a heated steering wheel. I just wonder what the car market is going to be like if/when I decide to trade my vehicle in.
And I thought my wife and I were the only ones who felt this way. I bought my wife a 2010 TL SH-AWD and she hates the car.

Will be waiting for the 2012 Max S to come out and will definitley consider a purchase. I do hope Nissan does something with the wheel design. I just don't like the current style of the wheels 18" or 19". Thye are pretty much the same style and I don't like either one.
Hopefully there wil be an otion to upgrade to 19" wheels on the S or at least I'll try and work that deal with the Dealer. A nice 5 spoke design would look hot on the 7G Max IMO.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 AM

I will be surprised if we don't have photos of the '12 Maxima within the next month, possibly within a week or two.

While the new model year of the same gen usually begins production in mid-July and begins arriving at some dealers in early-to-mid August, release of half-generation Maximas (as the '12 will be) is usually preceeded by advertising in either June or July, with the new half-gen models being produced the entire month of July and arriving at dealers either late July or the first week of August.

In other words, it won't be long now.

If you intend to buy the 'S' with the new Limited Edition Pkg (a super package), you have no choice but to wait.

Otherwise, unless you particularly want the new, FUNCTIONAL (the current one is borderline non-functional) Tire Pressure Monitoring System, I would await the '12 photos and then decide.
Thanks...I'm really interested to see the new exterior design refresh and the white backlit gauge cluster. I think I'm going to wait a few weeks.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Darn, they're changing the amber color inside to white....that was the only grudge I had with the interior...

http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=2561

"2012 Nissan Maxima
The flagship Nissan Maxima continues to set the bar for Nissan sedans, combining breakthrough sports sedan styling, a driver-oriented cockpit, ample comfort and luxury for passengers and an advanced drivetrain anchored by Nissan’s legendary VQ-series V6 engine.

For 2012, the iconic Maxima receives a refreshed exterior – with a new front grille design, new rear combination lights, and new 18-inch and 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheel designs. Inside, the roomy Maxima interior’s enhancements include a new meter cluster illumination color (white), new Dark Piano-hairline trim, a new Atlantic Cheery wood tone trim and a new Beige interior color. There’s also a new audio segment display and new audio/HVAC **** design.

The other big news for the 2012 Maxima is the addition of a special Limited Edition Package, which features smoked appearance headlights, High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights, a compass in the rearview mirror, 18-inch aluminum-alloy Dark Hyper Silver colored wheels, a rear spoiler, dark satin chrome front grille, fog lights, illuminated kick plates, outside mirrors with integrated turn signals and metallic trim on the center cluster, center console and door armrest grips.

In addition, two new exterior colors are offered for 2012: Java Metallic and Dark Slate.

Key features of the 2012 Nissan Maxima include:
• Standard 290-horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve VQ-series V6 engine
• Standard Xtronic CVT® with manual and “DS” (drive sport) modes with available paddle shifters
• Independent front strut/independent multi-link rear suspension
• A wide range of available technology, including a Bose® premium audio system, RearView Monitor and Nissan Hard Drive Navigation system with XM NavTraffic? Real-Time Traffic information and XM NavWeather™ (XM® subscription required, sold separately) and Voice Recognition
• Available equipment packages include Sport Package, Premium Package, Tech Package and new Limited Edition Package – allowing customers to fine-tune their Maximas to precisely fit their specific needs and budgets

The 2012 Nissan Maxima is available in two models – 3.5 S and 3.5 SV. It is scheduled to go on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in late summer 2011."
Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
TBA

Granted I haven't seen the new gauges, but generally I would take amber over white.

It would be nice if they make the back lighting for the steering wheel switches brighter; the only way to read them is the have the dash turned all the way up, and then it's too bright at night. Granted, I know where all the switches are by now, but still - why bother to illuminate them if they're unreadable?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angry Nissan to replace the Maxima after 7th Gen?

Have you seen this article from Car and Driver?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissani...s-a-breakdown/

Quick Reply: 2012 Maxima - Official Changes