7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2012 Maxima - Official Changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by landerrich2@aol.com
Have you seen this article from Car and Driver?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissani...s-a-breakdown/
Holy **** Batman!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
Holy **** Batman!
Exactly how I felt, the interweb is truff
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by landerrich2@aol.com
Have you seen this article from Car and Driver?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissani...s-a-breakdown/
Yes, Nissan will replace the Maxima after the 7th generation. WITH THE 8TH GENERATION MAXIMA.

Do not misinterpret this misleading Car and Driver presentation.

The blurred image of a Teana was representational only, and used because Car and Driver does not yet have any idea what the 8th generation Maxima will look like. And with good reason. Nissan has not yet done the styling or made final decisions on the mechanical content of the 8th gen Maxima, which now appears may not arrive until the 2015 model shows up in spring of 2014.

As the article implies, the Teana is being redesigned. What the article omits is the fact that NEITHER the old NOR the redesigned Teana will be for sale in the U.S.

Anyone misled into thinking Nissan would even consider replacing the Maxima with a vehicle named Teana after thirty years of building the Maxima name in the U.S. failed their high school marketing class. The name 'Maxima' is one of the most impressive and meaningful names any car manufacturer ever came up with, and Nissan knows that.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, Nissan will replace the Maxima after the 7th generation. WITH THE 8TH GENERATION MAXIMA.

Do not misinterpret this misleading Car and Driver presentation.

The blurred image of a Teana was representational only, and used because Car and Driver does not yet have any idea what the 8th generation Maxima will look like. And with good reason. Nissan has not yet done the styling or made final decisions on the mechanical content of the 8th gen Maxima, which now appears may not arrive until the 2015 model shows up in spring of 2014.

As the article implies, the Teana is being redesigned. What the article omits is the fact that NEITHER the old NOR the redesigned Teana will be for sale in the U.S.

Anyone misled into thinking Nissan would even consider replacing the Maxima with a vehicle named Teana after thirty years of building the Maxima name in the U.S. failed their high school marketing class. The name 'Maxima' is one of the most impressive and meaningful names any car manufacturer ever came up with, and Nissan knows that.
I agree!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM

I would LOVE to see the tire pressure of all 4 tires. Any way I can get that option installed on my 09?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by TooTawl
I would LOVE to see the tire pressure of all 4 tires. Any way I can get that option installed on my 09?
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=162
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=160
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM

In case you havent ran across this yet...

http://nissannews.com/image-gallery....eGalleryId=400
Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by JettmiesterMax

In case you havent ran across this yet...

http://nissannews.com/image-gallery....eGalleryId=400

That link was posted here somewhere back in May or June, but the poster used it to start a new thread instead of placing it in this thread, so it dropped off the front page and into history.

Thanks for putting the link in this thread where we can find it.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM

I was wishing the 2012 maximas would have a 6 speed auto or manual
im looking to get out of my 2004 avalon and wanted to get a 2012 maxima, but not with the CVT. Dont get me wrong the CVT is good for gas mileage and such but for nissans 4 door sports car, not so much. The car just seems to lose so much power after 80-90mph.
Is there a tune or anything to get some of that power back?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM

don't let the cvt lure u away from the maxima, your making a huge mistake if u let that happen.

coming from a avalon, you will feel the excitement of owning a car you TRULY enjoy...enjoy to drive, enjoy to look at, enjoy to wash, enjoy to maintain,enjoy to own.

maybe the power does taper off above 90 mph compared to avalon but the 0-90 range is just explosive, and this is the most important range, the "usable" range.

I hardly go above 85 mph so I wouldn't know, this helps in many ways since there are so many cops out there now just itching to give a ticket.

Originally Posted by 04avalon
im looking to get out of my 2004 avalon and wanted to get a 2012 maxima, but not with the CVT. Dont get me wrong the CVT is good for gas mileage and such but for nissans 4 door sports car, not so much. The car just seems to lose so much power after 80-90mph.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Well considering my avalon only has 210hp and 220ft/tq i would hope the Maxima will outrun it. lol

Does anyone have any pictures of the maxima interior at night?
I would like to see how it looks with the orange dash and "mood lights"

I figure since I will spend most of the time on the inside of the maxima i car more about the interior than i do the exterior, however the exterior of this car is beautiful according to my girlfriend who thinks the g37 looks boring lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Well considering my avalon only has 210hp and 220ft/tq i would hope the Maxima will outrun it. lol

Does anyone have any pictures of the maxima interior at night?

I figure since I will spend most of the time on the inside of the maxima i car more about the interior than i do the exterior, however the exterior of this car is beautiful according to my girlfriend who thinks the g37 looks boring lol.
I hate to burst your bubble but isn't Nissan getting rid of the orange gauges for the 2012? Aren't they going to all white?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Things like deleting auto up down rear windows from the rears just feels insulting. Mega companies saving $12.00 per vehicle that they are selling for 30+k makes a sad panda :-(
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by zman764
Things like deleting auto up down rear windows from the rears just feels insulting. Mega companies saving $12.00 per vehicle that they are selling for 30+k makes a sad panda :-(
agreed. on top of that, its a useful feature imo.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM

I was one who was disappointed when Nissan moved the Maxima to 'CVT only' status with the '07 model year. But now I am one who is very happy Nissan has moved the Maxima to the CVT, which is the first big step toward the trannies of the future.

Manuals are now the least efficient tranny out there, and automatics are going to 7 speed and 8 speed in an effort to stay abreast of the CVT. But it just makes sense that a tranny that never has to shift will, at some point, be both the most efficient and the fastest. The CVT will eventually be so efficient that manufacturers, desperate to meet ever higher fleet MPG requirements, will require that cars with other types of trannies will have to be special-ordered.

Yes, the CVTs in the '07 and '08 Maximas did tend to slump off around 85 MPH. But the one time I had my '09 in a situation where I had a straight track with no other traffic, I did not notice a slump up to 100. Maybe the slump is now at 105? Doesn't matter, because anyone driving that fast on a public highway is not going to live long enough to enjoy that type peformance anyway.

Those who use the CVT as an excuse to bypass the Maxima either have not spent much time driving this new 7th gen CVT, or simply prefer to cling to the ways of the past, efficiency notwithstanding. Those type drivers are more prone to looking at driving as a fun thing or filling a 'control' need than as a means of transportation.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Power does die off after 100, Ive gotten up past 120 before tho, I think Nissan should make more software for the CVT besides the current one that lets you decide where YOU want the most amount of power.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM

The mood lights are by design extremely dim, casting a very faint glow on the console and door switches that would only be noticed on a very dark night with no streetlights or other outside lights around. The light from them cannot be photographed. The only mood light that can be seen by occupants of the car is simply a tiny orange dot up near the roof controls and map lights.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM

light, when do 2012 go on sale, will they be on nissanusa.com site sept 1st
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkenPanda
Im still waiting for that 6spd manual to come back

You read my mind. Fine that they going to CVT in most of there cars but crying shame to not even offer stick. I don't care if its a small percentage, don't they realize they are losing these people to Acura for example who lets you get stick on TL
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 AM

the infamous murano convertible crossover, what is nissan thinking

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
So why the fudge make this abomination?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I was one who was disappointed when Nissan moved the Maxima to 'CVT only' status with the '07 model year. But now I am one who is very happy Nissan has moved the Maxima to the CVT, which is the first big step toward the trannies of the future.

Manuals are now the least efficient tranny out there, and automatics are going to 7 speed and 8 speed in an effort to stay abreast of the CVT. But it just makes sense that a tranny that never has to shift will, at some point, be both the most efficient and the fastest. The CVT will eventually be so efficient that manufacturers, desperate to meet ever higher fleet MPG requirements, will require that cars with other types of trannies will have to be special-ordered.

Yes, the CVTs in the '07 and '08 Maximas did tend to slump off around 85 MPH. But the one time I had my '09 in a situation where I had a straight track with no other traffic, I did not notice a slump up to 100. Maybe the slump is now at 105? Doesn't matter, because anyone driving that fast on a public highway is not going to live long enough to enjoy that type peformance anyway.

Those who use the CVT as an excuse to bypass the Maxima either have not spent much time driving this new 7th gen CVT, or simply prefer to cling to the ways of the past, efficiency notwithstanding. Those type drivers are more prone to looking at driving as a fun thing or filling a 'control' need than as a means of transportation.
Cvt and fwd doesn't interest me although I like the maxima in general.

My g just passed 2k and im starting to see 28 on the highway with reaonsable drivng. I guess im old fashioned and like awd and many gears in my cars.

Wife is ready for new car she wants a g37 not interested in maxima at all. can't understand why.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 AM

I too am dumbfounded that they removed the auto-up/down on the rear windows! I use that feature almost EVERY day, and in fact, I bought the Maxima because it had them! (well, that and other features)

I think the Infiniti guys got all upset that a lowly Nissan had stuff their vehicles didn't (I'm looking at you, FX35).
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by G37guy01
Cvt and fwd doesn't interest me although I like the maxima in general.

My g just passed 2k and im starting to see 28 on the highway with reaonsable drivng. I guess im old fashioned and like awd and many gears in my cars.

Wife is ready for new car she wants a g37 not interested in maxima at all. can't understand why.
yeah i wasnt a fan of the CVT when I first drove the Max either, felt really weird. i test drove a G37 though and it did feel a little cramped in there compared to the Max. the G37s is an awesome looking car, but im not a fan of manual for my daily driver cause im usually sitting in traffic and i think everyone knows how much fun manuals are in traffic...

I do think Nissan's new line of vehicles are edging into the a terroritory that is encouraging people to get a fully loaded Nissan as opposed to an Infiniti. I didn't know car's below 40k had all these options to be honest, so it was a nice surprise with the Maxima. No disrespect to Infiniti - they make great looking cars - just Nissan's 7th gen was a much better fit for my driving/life style.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
light, when do 2012 go on sale, will they be on nissanusa.com site sept 1st
I'm not sure when dealers will be permitted to sell the '12. There are tons of '12s piling up on the lot at Smyrna, and two local dealers have a couple of '12s stashed on their back lots, so I expect to see them on sale within a week or two.

I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if the '12s are not on nissanusa by Sept 1st. In most years, the new model year Maximas are already on nissanusa by now.

EDIT - In thinking about this, Nissan may be stalling slightly with the '12s because of the slowed buying of '11s due to recent insane swings of economic indicators. Folks are a little gunshy about putting $35K or so into a new car when the DOW is swinging 400, 500, and even 600 points a day, and talks of a double-dip recession are gaining traction.

For instance, my dealer currently has 36 '11 Maximas on his lot, and he is far from the biggest Nissan dealer in the Atlanta area.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sg1214
Power does die off after 100, Ive gotten up past 120 before tho, I think Nissan should make more software for the CVT besides the current one that lets you decide where YOU want the most amount of power.
Really what auto manufacturer does this today? We know Nissan doesn't and I own a Cayman and as far as I know that wasn't an option when I purchased it.

Never heard of a OEM doing this.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Really what auto manufacturer does this today? We know Nissan doesn't and I own a Cayman and as far as I know that wasn't an option when I purchased it.

Lol, no one does that......They would have to change the power/torque curve of the motor and add a heck of alot more power......Thats the disadavantage of the CVT, not well suited for "higher" speed acceleration/power.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz

Obvioulsy not from the car lol, but at the service department, they should program the transmission to the way you would wanna drive it, not the way they want you to drive it.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 PM

What's interesting is that no press kit has been released yet for the 2012 Maxima yet most other models if not all have press kits released.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 AM

I just want to see the tire pressure system and the premium wheels
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Pics of the 2012

There are pics on nissannews.com. Check them out.

http://www.nissannews.com/image-gall...eGalleryId=400
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM

not bad. At first i really like the new wheels, but after looking at them closer, they are kinda awkward looking, and they are still rocking the crappy RS-A's. I do like that the enter function is now on the steering wheel which would make it much easier to operate the screen. The grill is very sedated looking, almost similar to an M35. I still wish they would have made the passenger side window auto dim and the passenger seat cooled.

Looks like it gets crappy gas mileage, 197 miles remaining on 3/4 of a tank.....

Last edited by vr4z06gt; 08-30-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 PM

yummm, smoked tails, new 5 spokes, and red interior lighting.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by vr4z06gt
not bad. At first i really like the new wheels, but after looking at them closer, they are kinda awkward looking, and they are still rocking the crappy RS-A's. I do like that the enter function is now on the steering wheel which would make it much easier to operate the screen. The grill is very sedated looking, almost similar to an M35. I still wish they would have made the passenger side window auto dim and the passenger seat cooled.

Looks like it gets crappy gas mileage, 197 miles remaining on 3/4 of a tank.....
enter has always been on the steering wheel, maybe it's different on s models? The car could've been sitting in park a long time or driven aggressively making the range go down.

Last edited by Car Addict; 08-30-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think the maxima is the best looking FWD sedan out there. vs the camry and TL.

But I keep thinking it's the M35's fat, ugly sister.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Love the new tails, interior lighting, and trim. So wait, did they drop the SL for 2012?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:37 PM

IBTL.

This is about 2months old news now.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
enter has always been on the steering wheel, maybe it's different on s models? The car could've been sitting in park a long time or driven aggressively making the range go down.
Really....I have an SV premium, I'll have to look. If its there, and i am going to guess it is, i am going to feel really really dumb.....
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM

This is old news... but thanks for posting it anyways. I'm all about over-communicating information.

I'd take the tails and the wheels!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM

We need pics of the new LE edition with the illuminated kick panels!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

smoke tails hot but not feelin the grille, jus looks to small,

Quick Reply: 2012 Maxima - Official Changes