7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

R2C Short Ram -vs- Custom CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM

That's one nice CAI install. I've been dreading the fact that there aren't any good CAI for the 7th gen yet. Right now I got the Injen SRI installed, but after seeing these pics I am feel the itch to change that.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM

Great work, it looks like it came from the factory that way.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM

thanks guys. sorry for the LONG wait my pipes are coming back tonight from being thermal barrier/ceramic coated and ill be updating with testing starting tomorrow with the new colder pipes. if you thought it looked factory before wait till you see them now
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM

been waiting on the new numbers with the ceramic and thermal barrier! hope it works out well so i can do the same
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM

here's the new CAI. updated original post with new info.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Sickness
Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 AM

bump - updated with new testing info after installing CXJ thermal spacers
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM

there seems to be a little confusion about this custom CAI I built. allow me to clarify. the "idea" of having a custom CAI on the Maxima after relocating the battery to the trunk is definitely ifuxwitu's (Wally). Beyond that this guy did not "help me build" my CAI, much less did I "copy his".

For reference here is the CAI I built using Wally's help for lengths/measurements. He had a billion excuses as to why this didn't work for me but did for him, but you can clearly tell this is beyond stupid and would never fit.

so yes I did all my own research and measurements for pipe lengths/fitments/reducers/angles etc to make my CAI work. The other member who has a CAI is very different in pipe angles/lengths, he relocated his ECU, and wrapped it in thermal wrap at one point. mine was custom made (used a saw with metal cutting blade to shorten some pipes) completely myself, with all my own work and measurements. the only thing similar between mine and this moron Wally is that they're both cold air intakes made at home. thanks for your time. normally i wouldnt post this up but this geek is telling everyone I copy him i guess to boost his own ego

have him post a pic of his CAI and see if it looks anything like this.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM

I like this if I had more experience or felt more comfortable modding my car than I do I would do this for sure
Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
there seems to be a little confusion about this custom CAI I built. allow me to clarify. the "idea" of having a custom CAI on the Maxima after relocating the battery to the trunk is definitely ifuxwitu's (Wally). Beyond that this guy did not "help me build" my CAI, much less did I "copy his".

For reference here is the CAI I built using Wally's help for lengths/measurements. He had a billion excuses as to why this didn't work for me but did for him, but you can clearly tell this is beyond stupid and would never fit.

so yes I did all my own research and measurements for pipe lengths/fitments/reducers/angles etc to make my CAI work. The other member who has a CAI is very different in pipe angles/lengths, he relocated his ECU, and wrapped it in thermal wrap at one point. mine was custom made (used a saw with metal cutting blade to shorten some pipes) completely myself, with all my own work and measurements. the only thing similar between mine and this moron Wally is that they're both cold air intakes made at home. thanks for your time. normally i wouldnt post this up but this geek is telling everyone I copy him i guess to boost his own ego

Now the trick is to find a way to vent that (power robbing) heat out of the engine bay.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
Now the trick is to find a way to vent that (power robbing) heat out of the engine bay.
you think riding without a hood would solve it? lol
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM

That.... or fabricate some heat extraction ducts in the hood, plus a 19 or 24 row oil cooler to allow an extra 1-2 quarts of oil to cycle through the motor
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
That.... or fabricate some heat extraction ducts in the hood, plus a 19 or 24 row oil cooler to allow an extra 1-2 quarts of oil to cycle through the motor
if i gave you my car for a weekend i bet it'd come back with NACA ducts all over it. next mod im looking at is either an oil cooler or trans cooler, trying to figure out which one of those is heating up faster. leaning towards trans cooler so i can stop limping the damn CVT
Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 PM

wooow high ****ing 5!! that looks mint! and thank you soooo much for thos results! i imagine the ait's measure at the filter? i wonder how much cooler the charge is just before entering the tb...

i'm getting my hands on a place racing intake for the 4th gen that snakes down into the fender behind spash guard and i read you did the ceramic coating which is something i'm now considering too since i haven't installed yet...can i get this sort of stuff at a store and spray it on? would exhaust wrap do the same kind of thing? i know its designed to keep heat in exhaust but how about the other way around for an intake?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
wooow high ****ing 5!! that looks mint! and thank you soooo much for thos results! i imagine the ait's measure at the filter? i wonder how much cooler the charge is just before entering the tb...

i'm getting my hands on a place racing intake for the 4th gen that snakes down into the fender behind spash guard and i read you did the ceramic coating which is something i'm now considering too since i haven't installed yet...can i get this sort of stuff at a store and spray it on? would exhaust wrap do the same kind of thing? i know its designed to keep heat in exhaust but how about the other way around for an intake?
thanks man. only thing diff is i ditched the red engine panels, painted 2 of the silver to match the car and took the rest off to let the VQ breathe. i have my t.b. bypassed so it doesn't heat up as much as it normally would, definitely helps to have steaming hot coolant out of the mix lol.

yeah i did the ceramic coating, had it done by a place nearby that does powdercoating/similar stuff. i dont think you can just buy and spray it on. as you can see by the results it wasnt anything amazing but is a slight improvement. i imagine some kind of heat-reflecting tape (despite how gaudy it may look) would produce the best results but i wanted something clean and functional so got two things: a thermal barrier coated in a black ceramikote coating. the coating scratches easily so i need to be careful with it (not that im moving my CAI around often) but definitely helps. im gonna do some testing again now that its like 100 degrees

Last edited by Ghozt; 06-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM

if i gave you my car for a weekend i bet it'd come back with NACA ducts all over it. next mod im looking at is either an oil cooler or trans cooler, trying to figure out which one of those is heating up faster. leaning towards trans cooler so i can stop limping the damn CVT
Bahahaha, maybe....

I might start with the oil cooler first since that's an easier install and see what happens. If the car keeps going into safe mode, time for tranny cooler!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 AM

On my old bracket car I actually was able to adjust the hood hinges up a couple of inches so hot air would vent out toward the windshield and I could still latch it up front. Doing that along with a cool can for the fuel stopped my vapor lock problems.
I wouldn't think of that with this car as it would look like crap.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:45 PM

That is a rad intake you built. If I had the time, tools, and confidence I'd attempt something similar.

I'm quite new here, not wanting ask questions where they don't belong, but here goes:

For a guy who wants to upgrade from stock to something easy to bolt on, any difference between r2C and K&N's CAI's? Or do you recommend staying stock?

Thanks in advance. I'm still trying to locate the right threads to find the simple and relatively inexpensive mods to squeeze out a little more power.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM

sorry just seeing this response now; my fault bro. i tried a few different intakes (takeda/R2C) and they seemed mostly the same. if I had to grab one today I'd go with Injen, they use amsoil filters which are nice
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 PM

No problem bro. I tried the AEM, didn't work out, and ended up with the Injen a little while ago. I've been happy with it.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 PM

you guys have the stock number for the Injen intake for our cars? What's the highest price you'd pay for one? I am lookin at one for $266
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 PM

Ghozt you said you'd chose a Injen today; I am considering a K&N, any suggestions as to which you'd chose and why? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by harsh2888
Ghozt you said you'd chose a Injen today; I am considering a K&N, any suggestions as to which you'd chose and why? Thanks!
I've owned Injen products for a while, had an Injen CAI on my last car it was awesome. Amsoil filters are dry-filters (no oiling, easy to clean) and the filter material is excellent quality. Also it seems to be one of the few short rams that hasn't popped a check engine light for people yet
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Harsh288, I bought mine for $206 through eBay, free shipping, brand new. I'll look up the seller if you want me to.

I paid a little over $330 for my AEM. I was looking to get the best one for our cars, even if it was kinda expensive. After returning that and getting refunded, I decided Injen was the best bet. I spent hours cruising around this website and that website and reading reviews and blablabla to come to that decision.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks for your input guys!

Serpent id be grateful if you could find me a link to the seller that you got yours from. Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120835825372...84.m1497.l2649
That should get you there. Quick and easy transaction.