7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 AM

Upgrade alternator

Hey guess I am new here and searched the forum but haven't found anything about upgrading the 7th gen alternator. I am redoing my system from one ten w7 to a 12 and 2 8s but I'm gonna need a new alternator in order to handle the power I'm gonna push to the amps. Does anyone know of any company that makes a bigger alternator
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by StephenPerry213
Hey guess I am new here and searched the forum but haven't found anything about upgrading the 7th gen alternator. I am redoing my system from one ten w7 to a 12 and 2 8s but I'm gonna need a new alternator in order to handle the power I'm gonna push to the amps. Does anyone know of any company that makes a bigger alternator
I would ask in the electronics and audio section. If I remember correctly, the stock alternators can power a lot of audio equipment, but the guys there will know better.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM

I put another battery in the trunk, seeding as that was about 450 and a new alternator would have been around 700 without install.

But i found this: http://mechman.com/index.php/quote.html (send em an email for a quote)

and this

http://www.nationsstarteralternator....3940-250xp.htm
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM

i don't think you'll need an alternator....go with a extra kinetic battery instead. You'll be fine I think.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Suggesting, a dedicated battery and capacitors to push the amps; this would give the stock alternator a place to store energy to be drawn from, rather than from the engine battery electrical system.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 AM

Thank you to everyone I am gonna go with a second battery but when I do competition I use the system really hard at idle and even with a 10farad cap that I have now it definitely drawsreally hard from the system. So iI have looked into an alternator and have also decided to go with one because I have a tv and will add two more probably sobi don't want to put stress on the battery. Any advice though on these cars though or ideas of what I should put in.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Don't bother with capacitors. They were useful in the 80's, but are really just an additional drain on your system. (unless you are doing bass burp comp)

They drain in under a second. Then your alternator has to charge them, your battery, and power your system.

I ran 2 15" Memphis Mojo M3 subs off of two Memphis Big Belle amps w/ 2600W RMS, with just two batteries and a 120W alternator.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM

Thank you to everyone I am gonna go with a second battery but when I do competition I use the system really hard at idle and even with a 10farad cap that I have now it definitely drawsreally hard from the system. So iI have looked into an alternator and have also decided to go with one because I have a tv and will add two more probably sobi don't want to put stress on the battery. Any advice though on these cars though or ideas of what I should put in.
Do what I did, rip out the spare , put a huge battery there, match the front battery, and you should be fine. I am running stock alt with 2 13w7 =]
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Found this as well: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2010~...oduct_overview
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM

I know I have an Altima, BUT I actually have a 270XP alt from DCpowerinc, and other than their slow assed pace and sucky customer service, their alts are the best available, bar none! I have a Zed Leviathan II Focal components front and back, Kenwood DNX 9140, and an Xbox 360 Slim, and the alt sits at a constant steady 14.6 volts all day. Idle output is 200amps, and max was measured a lil over 270amps. Been trying to get them to make one for my 2000 Frontier KA with no avail, but there alts are golden....if you can swing it, you wont need a second battery....at all. If your going to do it, at least do it right, dont add additional batteries and all that other junk. Its not needed, takes up space and adds weight. With this all you have to do is upgrade your ground and charge wire, and the alt can work to its fullest! Just my .02 worth. Best of luck. (To be honest, I will never you all this power, and if you elect for the 320, you wont either...wont even get close)
Originally Posted by gtr0manc3r
Old 07-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I know I have an Altima, BUT I actually have a 270XP alt from DCpowerinc, and other than their slow assed pace and sucky customer service, their alts are the best available, bar none! I have a Zed Leviathan II Focal components front and back, Kenwood DNX 9140, and an Xbox 360 Slim, and the alt sits at a constant steady 14.6 volts all day. Idle output is 200amps, and max was measured a lil over 270amps. Been trying to get them to make one for my 2000 Frontier KA with no avail, but there alts are golden....if you can swing it, you wont need a second battery....at all. If your going to do it, at least do it right, dont add additional batteries and all that other junk. Its not needed, takes up space and adds weight. With this all you have to do is upgrade your ground and charge wire, and the alt can work to its fullest! Just my .02 worth. Best of luck. (To be honest, I will never you all this power, and if you elect for the 320, you wont either...wont even get close)

2012 maxima sv sport 40,000 bought new with 10 miles.

Ever since i bought it i've questioned that theres something up with the A.c or something electrical, car sounded wierd when at idle with everything on (a.c with radio). and when using the up/down on windows car feels like it drops rmp ( surges down and up and sounds crappy, fan turns on all quick ). i just replaced battery with yellow optima bc i said f-it .... car still feels the same.

TOOK TO DEALER THEY SAID NOTHING WRONG THATS HOW IT IS BUT I NEED $280 TRANNY TUNE UP. BUT THATS A WHOLE OTHER POST TOPIC LOL

before i ruin anything or car stalls on me i wanna replace the alternator bc navi + my 1 sub / amp need help im sure the 140amp alternator stock aint good enough?? bc b4 i droped sub in, like brand new CAR the a.c felt fine but a lil after just GOT NOISEY A.F!

Hows the alternator from d.c been treating you?really worth the big bucks? i heard they give out randomly. has anyone else have had any of these problems or think there are" better "alternator companys out there (not necceserally cheaper) just better or know just by EXPERIENCE that there reliable ones out there.
thanks for the info
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Left a post in your audio thread...

Also, make sure all electrical connections are correct with your amp, ground, battery.