7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2011 Maxima SV

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM

Test drove a 2011 Maxima SV

I test drove a 2011 Maxima tonight with 45000km on the clock. These are brief observations as I'm tight for time tonight.

I didn't floor it and I couldn't get it above 3500RPM. I've driven CVTs before, my wife has the Versa so I thought I was used to driving it. I guess I'm just too conservative a driver and didn't really test the drive train!

I found it quite comfortable, which is rare for me. I have a bad back and I struggle to find a car that I'm comfortable in.

I wanted to ask about the brakes. They worked but there was a lot of travel before the started to work and they weren't very strong. I assume the pads need changing?

I enjoyed the handling. I didn't really push it but I held the speed up on some on and off ramps. I'm used to non sporty cars and I thought the car would lose traction but it hung on to the curve very nicely.

The car felt very heavy but it had no complaints about the steering weight. The bulges on the hood and the wide back end made it look and feel bigger than it is. It was disconcerting but I liked the heavy, planted feel.

The interior was a bit beaten up in parts, mostly on the hard plastics with lots of scratches. Some of the dash and console parts felt cheap but nothing I'm not used to.

I'm trying to decide if I want something with a 3.5 V6 because most of my driving is commuting in stop go with some at 80km/h. I'm also trying to work put if I want to spipil myself with a car that can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds!

Sorry of that's rushed but I'll try to post more thoughts later.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM

I have a 2011 got it new, have 28000 mi on her, love it, the thing with only getting 3500 rpm on it isnt right, it should get a lot more than that, the rest of it seems like it is cosmetic, but if the price is right, its your call, but get that cvt checked out before you sign the dotted line.. that in its self is in the area of 4-5 grand.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM

I think more likely it was the driver.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM

The dealer says its the base SV model but it has a spoiler. The brochure states the spoiler is only available with the sports package. Could you add a spoiler as an individual option back in 2011?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
The dealer says its the base SV model but it has a spoiler. The brochure states the spoiler is only available with the sports package. Could you add a spoiler as an individual option back in 2011?
99% of the time they will add the Spoiler with no charge
Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 PM

One thing that concerns me about the Max spoiler is there is no place for the water to run under it ( no gap between the spoiler and trunk like my Infinit had) so I'd check it carefully if it didn't come from factory installed for any signs of rust. If water is seeping in anyplace you are looking at trouble down the road. How you could check it 100% without removing the spoiler I'm not sure but if/ when rust does show around the spoiler you can bet it's rusted a lot more underneath. Seems to me even leaving a slight gap betweeen the spoiler and trunk would help prevent this

The window sticker will show if the spoiler was factory installed or not. If the dealer did it you are probably ok, if Joe Blow did it in is driveway roll the dice
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 AM

Great advice thanks.

The are two more Maximas in my area to look at but one is an ex rental with 50000km on the clock so I think I'll avoid that.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM

Are there any common issues I should check this car for? Any common issues with the transmission or engine etc? Thanks again
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM

Another question - sorry! Is there a site that will give me information about the car (packages etc) if I enter the VIN? Thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM

You didn't mention the size of the tires as the SV Sport came with 19" tires. If they are 19's most likley the trunk spoiler came from the factory already installed.

My dealership lists all their inventory online and each car listed has all the options, equipment, features plus a carfax report.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks. I think it was probably installed separately as the car doesn't have paddle shifters, so no sports package. The dealer's site doesn't mention any packages but I don't always trust what they wrote. The listing also mentions the car has a 6 CD changer but this isn't listed for the base model or any packages in the brochure.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 PM

The SV sports edition came with paddle shifters, leather seats, and the 6 CD player + SAT Radio.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Thanks. I think it was probably installed separately as the car doesn't have paddle shifters, so no sports package. The dealer's site doesn't mention any packages but I don't always trust what they wrote. The listing also mentions the car has a 6 CD changer but this isn't listed for the base model or any packages in the brochure.
I believe any Nissan Dealer can order a reprint of a window sticker from a 2011

My car is an SV with a factory installed spoiler and no sport package
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM

There's no mention of a 6 CD changer in the Canadian 2011 brochure.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 AM

There's no mention of a 6 CD changer in the Canadian 2011 brochure.
The 6 CD changer has been standard in the base 'S' for years. It is Nissan's most basic audio system. I know it was stanfard in the '09 and '10 S. Models above the S have more elaborate setups. The Sport and Premiums have a 2 gigabyte flash drive Music Box system, while the Tech Package (available on all Maximas except the base S) includes a 9.3 gigabyte hard drive Music Box system. All Maximas with the Music Box system hold only ONE CD, which is normally used to load the CD to flash drive or hard disk, as the music is usually played from flash drive or hard drive, not from the CD.

I thing we lose the Music Box in the 2013? Probably replaced with something even more exotic.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM

I looked at another Maxima of the same year but with higher mileage. What a rough car in horrible condition. I can't believe they were asking the same price as the other one I looked at.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Is it normal for the 7th gen to have problems with the sunroof and interior noises? I looked at three 2011s now; I forgot to check the sunroof on the first but the other two sounded awful when they opened or closed.

Also, all three had creaky interiors, either the centre stack, the centre console, the flip covers on he centre console or all of the above. I this typical?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Is it normal for the 7th gen to have problems with the sunroof and interior noises? I looked at three 2011s now; I forgot to check the sunroof on the first but the other two sounded awful when they opened or closed.

Also, all three had creaky interiors, either the centre stack, the centre console, the flip covers on he centre console or all of the above. I this typical?
Not normal. I have no interior creaks or squeaks, nor would I tolerate any. I have the panorama roof, so can't speak to the sunroof noises.

I would not be afraid to take things apart on the center console to fix any noises, but the center stack would be more work.

In thinking back, I did have one creak from the center stack several years back. I had my wife drive while I pulled and pushed until I found that lifting at the bottom of the stack stopped the noise. So I jammed a thick black cotton sock between the bottom of the stack and the top of the console, where it can't be seen. That stopped the noise, and I had almost forgotten I had done that.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Not normal. I have no interior creaks or squeaks, nor would I tolerate any. I have the panorama roof, so can't speak to the sunroof noises.

I would not be afraid to take things apart on the center console to fix any noises, but the center stack would be more work.

In thinking back, I did have one creak from the center stack several years back. I had my wife drive while I pulled and pushed until I found that lifting at the bottom of the stack stopped the noise. So I jammed a thick black cotton sock between the bottom of the stack and the top of the console, where it can't be seen. That stopped the noise, and I had almost forgotten I had done that.
Seems you hate rattles as much as i do.

My parking brake indicator never worked since new. I see there is a part that activactes the light under the brake itself but I'm guessing the problem could also invole removing the dash.

I don't want to take any chances that removing the dash causes any rattles as it's not that big of a deal. The BRAKE does light up when starting just not when the ebrake is engaged
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv

My parking brake indicator never worked since new. I see there is a part that activactes the light under the brake itself but I'm guessing the problem could also invole removing the dash.

I don't want to take any chances that removing the dash causes any rattles as it's not that big of a deal. The BRAKE does light up when starting just not when the ebrake is engaged

I have to keep an eye on my wife when she is driving. She is a very good driver, but almost always forgets to release the parking brake, then sees the red parking brake light on the dash as the car struggles to gain speed with the brake still on, then remembers and sheepishly releases the brake.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv

Since we know the bulb is working, I would bet the problem probably would not require opening the dash. But that is just my best guess.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Since we know the bulb is working, I would bet the problem probably would not require opening the dash. But that is just my best guess.

I bet it's this part number 36011

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...8381_8384.html

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 05-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Drove a 2010 SV today, an off lease with low miles. The interior was kinda rough, especially the front passenger seat. At idle from time to time, the revs would drop to almost 500RPM and then wobble around before settling at tar ounce 750. This isn't normal but does it indicate anything? Maybe the engine just needs maintenance? In not buying it due to the condition and I want newer than 2010 but I had to look at it anyway.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM

What is it with used Maximas here? I saw two today for sale. Both were premiums but one had rust on the trunk lid lip and the other had lots of scrapes and scratches. Like someone had driven and scraped against a post.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM

What is it with used Maximas here? I saw two today for sale. Both were premiums but one had rust on the trunk lid lip and the other had lots of scrapes and scratches. Like someone had driven and scraped against a post.
I don't know what "here" mean's but be careful with storm damaged "SANDY" vehicles....they are making the rounds!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
I don't know what "here" mean's but be careful with storm damaged "SANDY" vehicles....they are making the rounds!
Oh I didn't set my location? Oops. By here I mean ottawa, ontario.