7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

STILLEN Rear Diffuser - Official Launch!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
For my custom one I used 3 black self-tapping screws going up from the bottom on the underside - just in case. The rest is all adhesion promoter + 3m tape holding it on.
Yeah, even though the 3M tape is super strong I also like the added security of some screws if good attach locations are available.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Josh, can we get a time frame on how long the intro price will be available? I was planning to go through a local shop that has a California branch to save on shipment costs, but if the deadline is coming up I'll eat up the costs and have it shipped directly to my home. Shop hasn't called me back yet. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't have specifics on the intro price, but I would imagine you're good through the end of the month, but no idea how long beyond that... Definitely hope you can jump on that, shouldn't be a problem getting it through one of our dealers, let me know if I can help.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
I don't have specifics on the intro price, but I would imagine you're good through the end of the month, but no idea how long beyond that... Definitely hope you can jump on that, shouldn't be a problem getting it through one of our dealers, let me know if I can help.
Thanks for your reply. If I don't hear from them by the end of the week, I'll call for a direct shipment and/or look into other options for shipping.

Shipping car stuff to Hawaii is almost always a pain.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Thanks for your reply. If I don't hear from them by the end of the week, I'll call for a direct shipment and/or look into other options for shipping.

Shipping car stuff to Hawaii is almost always a pain.
I cringe everytime we have to do that freight quote. Someone here mentioned a freight forwarder to Hawaii that was super reasonable. I wish I had that info.. We are able to ship somewhere else for you to forward in. I'll quickly google and see if that turns up the company I was thinking of, although their web presence was small.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM

I cringe everytime we have to do that freight quote. Someone here mentioned a freight forwarder to Hawaii that was super reasonable. I wish I had that info.. We are able to ship somewhere else for you to forward in. I'll quickly google and see if that turns up the company I was thinking of, although their web presence was small.
You said it. Thanks again for the reply. Don't worry about the google search. That should be my job =p I do appreciate it though. I know there's shiptohawaii.com among some other providers so I'll weigh out my options.

When I bought my lip spoiler and Eibach pro kit, I had it shipped to my friend's place in Virginia (as I was visiting at the time and couldn't wait to see the goods first hand, returns would've been easier that way as well). I then shipped it from there back to Hawaii. Wasn't fun You guys on the 'mainland', hope you're happy Stillen's got your shipping bill.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM

has this been tested aerodynamically for any benefits?

IIRC all genuine stillen components are tested this way
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
has this been tested aerodynamically for any benefits?
Without a proper undertray, and perhaps wind tunnel testing, this really is one for aesthetics only.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 AM

just wondered. thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM

I'm unable to see the pictures. And is matte black the only painted option?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
just wondered. thanks.
Of course!

Originally Posted by SuPeRMaNKeLz
I'm unable to see the pictures. And is matte black the only painted option?
Yes, pre-painted matte black will be the only option currently. But if you had something special in mind, you can always go the custom route.

Not sure why you can't see the photos, but PM me if you would like and give me your email address, I'd be happy to send some over.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM

Of course!

Yes, pre-painted matte black will be the only option currently. But if you had something special in mind, you can always go the custom route.

Not sure why you can't see the photos, but PM me if you would like and give me your email address, I'd be happy to send some over.
Josh, what type of (flat black) paint are you using and can it be painted over with just some abrasion or would you recommend a primer prior to re-paint?
Think I know the answer but thought I would ask....Thanks,
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
Josh, what type of (flat black) paint are you using and can it be painted over with just some abrasion or would you recommend a primer prior to re-paint?
Think I know the answer but thought I would ask....Thanks,
Not sure exactly, we use the same stuff on our splitters. Prep work is done on these, but it doesn't require an auto primer to get this stuff to stick.

If you're repainting, you would still want to sand this down, and primer and paint. Nothing is worse than not taking that little extra time versus having a paint problem later, and having the shop re-do it. Cheap insurance..
Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Hey Josh, thanks again for all your help and info. Really excited about getting the diffuser.

Could you post the shipping dimensions and weight? I have a good idea of what it'll likely be but it'd be great to have the actual specs.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

The dimensions of the box are 13" x 4" x 52" and shipping weight is 6 lbs.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 AM

Justo Completed My Order As well! Josh Any idea how long it'll take to make and ship? I can imagine these are BTO built to order. Also placed order for rear roof wing that was stolen from my car and also getting the rear corners. Can't wait!!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxDOuT
Justo Completed My Order As well! Josh Any idea how long it'll take to make and ship? I can imagine these are BTO built to order. Also placed order for rear roof wing that was stolen from my car and also getting the rear corners. Can't wait!!
Awesome! We shipped some unpainted last Wednesday, and a BUNCH of painted ones on Friday, and customers are already starting to receive them.

We're getting through the initial orders as fast as we can, but being yours is unpainted, shouldn't be more than a day or two!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM

We were talking earlier...are people with Black 7thgens going the gloss black route, painted matte black, or some accent color on their diffusers?

Just wondering since more than likely a black car would be the only car that will color match this piece to their car.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by WrightOne86
We were talking earlier...are people with Black 7thgens going the gloss black route, painted matte black, or some accent color on their diffusers?

Just wondering since more than likely a black car would be the only car that will color match this piece to their car.
I have a black max with some dark graphite accents on window mouldings and some other stuff. Gonna paint it a dark graphite grey to match my rims. Will look pretty badass i think!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM

I ordered the painted version last Monday, got shipping notification on Friday, and have delivery scheduled for Thursday. So my experience will be two weeks from order to install.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Boom. Just ordered my diffuser today (unpainted). The quoted shipping to Hawaii via FedEx? $44.58. That. Is. Awesome.

Josh, I forgot to ask again who took my order (I don't think it was Dean, couldn't make out his name the first time he said it), but tell them I said thanks again!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Boom. Just ordered my diffuser today (unpainted). The quoted shipping to Hawaii via FedEx? $44.58. That. Is. Awesome.

Josh, I forgot to ask again who took my order (I don't think it was Dean, couldn't make out his name the first time he said it), but tell them I said thanks again!
Nice! Bummer we can't get it out today, tomorrow I'm sure unless there is some hangup..

I'll definitely let Dean know! Glad everything worked out..
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM

Hmmm... Very tempting.. Can't wait to see it in person..

Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JbsMaxine
Hmmm... Very tempting.. Can't wait to see it in person..
lols! Brah, you gonna miss out on this deal? $50 dollars off the main price and basically a $50 dollar shipping. That's free shipping to Hawaii if you think about it!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Got mine in the mail today.

The adhesion promoter is no joke

I cleaned, prepped, and installed the part in about 15 minutes.
It was very easy. The package includes the diffuser, three screws and the adhesion promoter. There are also install instructions.

I test fit the part about 10 times and made sure everything would fit just like I wanted. I then applied the promoter, pealed off the tape backing, and stuck on the part. I'm about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch off. It is stuck. There is no moving it. It isn't noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

Name:  image_zps601620eb.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  image_zps6a6cb579.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  image_zpsab92c9de.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  71.1 KB

I'll get more pictures tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM

^^^^ saweet! I want even more!!! Damn paycheck!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Got mine in the mail today.

I cleaned, prepped, and installed the part in about 15 minutes.
It was very easy. The package includes the diffuser, three screws and the adhesion promoter. There are also install instructions.

I test fit the part about 10 times and made sure everything would fit just like I wanted. I then applied the promoter, pealed off the tape backing, and stuck on the part. I'm about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch off. It is stuck. There is no moving it. It isn't noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

I'll get more pictures tomorrow.
Is that the Matt black?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Yes. That is the painted matte black.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Yes. That is the painted matte black.
Took like 10 days to get it after you ordered?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 PM

I ordered on the first day available, it shipped 3 days later. I'm on the other side of the country so it took 6 days to get here. It actually arrived yesterday, but I wasn't home to get it.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Former Sponsor

I think it looks fantastic, but I also understand you've been the one to install, and know any flaw possible.

Happy to send you out some 3M tape and additional adhesion promoter if you want to give it another shot.

The typical trick is peeling a tiny bit of 3M backing off each area, so you can see the red hanging out from every start of the tape. From there you press the piece on, and when 100% happy with the alignment, press and pull the backing off each piece, pushing harder to secure the fitment. I hope instructions were included in your shipment, as it's described.

3M Automotive Tape is designed to do what it does, and a properly prepped surface makes for an amazing adhesion. We do strongly recommend the use of self-tapping screws on the backside to permanently install. We know you guys get crazy in your max at rev-limiting speeds, and/or the guy willing to try to yank your part off in your driveway..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pdub34
Took like 10 days to get it after you ordered?
Remember too that 'first day available' was first day taking orders.. the part wasn't finished or painted, the pre-release if you will.

We have been making these daily and in general should be shipping same-day, or perhaps the day after..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM

I think it looks fantastic, but I also understand you've been the one to install, and know any flaw possible.

Happy to send you out some 3M tape and additional adhesion promoter if you want to give it another shot.

The typical trick is peeling a tiny bit of 3M backing off each area, so you can see the red hanging out from every start of the tape. From there you press the piece on, and when 100% happy with the alignment, press and pull the backing off each piece, pushing harder to secure the fitment. I hope instructions were included in your shipment, as it's described.

3M Automotive Tape is designed to do what it does, and a properly prepped surface makes for an amazing adhesion. We do strongly recommend the use of self-tapping screws on the backside to permanently install. We know you guys get crazy in your max at rev-limiting speeds, and/or the guy willing to try to yank your part off in your driveway..
Thank you for the offer, but it is so close, that I'm going to leave it alone. Just wanted to slap myself after I put it on and realized it was ever-so-slightly off.

Directions were included with that method.

I don't think the little screws that are included will hold it any more than the tape. Even after a fresh install, the whole bottom of the bumper will move when you push on the diffuser. They are still in though, as I don't know what 80mph wind will do.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM

That darn blue masking tape to outline the pre-fit periphery comes in so-handy before the final STICK.....
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Just received my diffuser and installed and received my rear corners at the same . no pictures yet I'm custom painting them . will post pics up when I'm done
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Thank you for the offer, but it is so close, that I'm going to leave it alone. Just wanted to slap myself after I put it on and realized it was ever-so-slightly off.

Directions were included with that method.

I don't think the little screws that are included will hold it any more than the tape. Even after a fresh install, the whole bottom of the bumper will move when you push on the diffuser. They are still in though, as I don't know what 80mph wind will do.
3M body molding tape applied using adhesion promoter on a properly prepped surface holds so well that after its on there when you try to pull it off the foam tape itself splits in half and you have some on one side and some on the other. This is why it's called body molding tape. And our cars go nowhere near fast enough for the wind to be pulling anything off, unless it wasn't mounted properly.

Last edited by Ghozt; 07-26-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

It is hard to find good light that actually shows the rear diffuser in something other than a black mass added to the back of the car.

Name:  image_zps42df445d.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  image_zps69e07119.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  118.5 KB
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Got mine delivered this morning. Put it on once the heat died down. Wasn't too bad.

if you hold it from the inner two corners to position those under the car first, the upper corners line up pretty well. Just a tip.

Name:  IMG_1012.png
Views: 311
Size:  1.13 MB

Last edited by SuPeRMaNKeLz; 07-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM

It is hard to find good light that actually shows the rear diffuser in something other than a black mass added to the back of the car.
Try a lower angle and/or putting a light source under the car.

Originally Posted by SuPeRMaNKeLz
Got mine delivered this morning. Put it on once the heat died down. Wasn't too bad.

if you hold it from the inner two corners to position those under the car first, the upper corners line up pretty well. Just a tip.
This is a good tip that I'll keep in mind. Is this painted or non-painted?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM

I got the painted diffuser.

Quick Reply: STILLEN Rear Diffuser - Official Launch!!