7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

What justifies the difference in Maxima over Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by shook187
Those guys are idiots, check out the 0 -60 times for instance

They also take into account MSRP as if it's real, a loaded Max is $5k more and so much nicer
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM

I am driving a 2013 Altima 3.5SL with Tech and although I had some quality issues with my 2010 Maxima I'd rather be driving a new Maxima now.

The build quality is noticeably cheaper in the Altima.
I've had a handful of rattles because of plastic on plastic or metal on metal, which is not designed the same in the Maxima.
Even closing the doors feel cheap in the Altima. In the Maxima was a solid thud - in the Altima is a tinny echo off the roof and a rattle of the moonroof.
The tech worked so much nicer in the Maxima as well. This car's tech is slow and unresponsive. Also, the backup camera is unusable in the Altima. You can't see anything.

Never thought I'd say I'd want my Maxima back but after getting this car I would prefer the Maxima over this any day.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM

Oh and let's not forget how much I miss the Panoramic sunroof and ventilated seats.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
My 2013 MSRP was $38,005 or something close and cars direct had $31,795.
The MSRP or sticker price when I bought my '13 Maxima S was around $36.5k. I bought mine for about $26.7k before fees, taxes, etc. Out the door was $29.8k. A couple months later I've seen brand new '13 S's go as low as $24k before taxes, etc. That was the TrueCar price that dealerships around here have to honor since they are TrueCar certified dealership. I've also seen '13 SV premium w/tech for around $31k as well. This was all before they slashed MSRP on this car, when base S was around $34k MSRP.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Warriors55
The MSRP or sticker price when I bought my '13 Maxima S was around $36.5k. I bought mine for about $26.7k before fees, taxes, etc. Out the door was $29.8k. A couple months later I've seen brand new '13 S's go as low as $24k before taxes, etc. That was the TrueCar price that dealerships around here have to honor since they are TrueCar certified dealership. I've also seen '13 SV premium w/tech for around $31k as well. This was all before they slashed MSRP on this car, when base S was around $34k MSRP.
I never knew you could price an loaded S higher than a base SV back then as you can't now
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 PM

If this were an Altima forum everyone would be claiming the Maxima is a waste of money, our cars are faster, cheaper, have a bigger trunk...lol But secretly they are all wishing they'd bought the Max.

In 2004 my wife bought a new 2005 Altima 3.5SE. I asked her not to buy it, I preferred the Maxima and I found the Altima uncomfortable. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs and the Altima was tight. Her argument was I never had to drive the car. At the time I had a company vehicle and a personal truck.

In 2008 I took a job within my company that deleted the co car (it was still an upgrade). So now I had a 50 mile commute each way and a Dodge Ram Hemi to make the drive with. Common sense dictated that I drive the Altima and my wife take the truck. So now I have to drive a car I hate everyday for 100 miles a day.

So the Altima gets to 200,000 miles and the motor develops a knock. Thats it!!! I'm finally rid of this car. I traded it on a 2010 CPO Maxima SV within two days of diagnosing the knock.

The Maxima in my opinion is not comparable to the Altima. I have plenty of room in the Max, the interior is so much nicer, it's smoother, quieter, just more refined. It's a much nicer looking car too. My only complaint is the Bose stereo could be better. Other then that this is the perfect car for me. It's a sharp looking sporty car that doesnt scream LOOK AT ME!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by RCM78
If this were an Altima forum everyone would be claiming the Maxima is a waste of money, our cars are faster, cheaper, have a bigger trunk...lol But secretly they are all wishing they'd bought the Max.

In 2004 my wife bought a new 2005 Altima 3.5SE. I asked her not to buy it, I preferred the Maxima and I found the Altima uncomfortable. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs and the Altima was tight. Her argument was I never had to drive the car. At the time I had a company vehicle and a personal truck.

In 2008 I took a job within my company that deleted the co car (it was still an upgrade). So now I had a 50 mile commute each way and a Dodge Ram Hemi to make the drive with. Common sense dictated that I drive the Altima and my wife take the truck. So now I have to drive a car I hate everyday for 100 miles a day.

So the Altima gets to 200,000 miles and the motor develops a knock. Thats it!!! I'm finally rid of this car. I traded it on a 2010 CPO Maxima SV within two days of diagnosing the knock.

The Maxima in my opinion is not comparable to the Altima. I have plenty of room in the Max, the interior is so much nicer, it's smoother, quieter, just more refined. It's a much nicer looking car too. My only complaint is the Bose stereo could be better. Other then that this is the perfect car for me. It's a sharp looking sporty car that doesnt scream LOOK AT ME!!!
Cool story bro, but I think we talking about the new 2013 Altima and not the older ones were the difference was more obvious
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 AM

Cool story bro, but I think we talking about the new 2013 Altima and not the older ones were the difference was more obvious
Aside from the CVT the Altima hasnt changed much...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by RCM78
Aside from the CVT the Altima hasnt changed much...
Isn't the 2013 Altima a redesign?

I'm pretty sure this is the first year of a new generation for the Altima.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jig9798

Isn't the 2013 Altima a redesign?

I'm pretty sure this is the first year of a new generation for the Altima.
It is, it has the same design as the 7th generation Maxima. Not sure what the poster meant by saying it's basically the same besides the CVT
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM

Those guys are idiots, check out the 0 -60 times for instance

They also take into account MSRP as if it's real, a loaded Max is $5k more and so much nicer
This, exactly!!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Today I decided to test drive the Altima just to ease my mind about any doubts it being a better value then the Maxima.. Let just say the difference was apparent immediately upon sitting in it. The Interior looked much cheaper. When it came down to the test drive it was almost laughable on the difference. Immediately upon pulling out the parking spot I notice the difference and never made it out the parking lot.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 PM

Today I decided to test drive the Altima just to ease my mind about any doubts it being a better value then the Maxima.. Let just say the difference was apparent immediately upon sitting in it. The Interior looked much cheaper. When it came down to the test drive it was almost laughable on the difference. Immediately upon pulling out the parking spot I notice the difference and never made it out the parking lot.
I had an SL as a loaner for a week, the big difference was when I got my MAX back. Night and day
Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM

I had an SL as a loaner for a week, the big difference was when I got my MAX back. Night and day
I've only come to know one person who had a Max, ditched it, and got a fully loaded Altima. I think it had much to do with gas mileage if I can remember correctly. Though I really don't understand why they would ditch the Max because now they complain about the Altima's gas mileage.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I've only come to know one person who had a Max, ditched it, and got a fully loaded Altima. I think it had much to do with gas mileage if I can remember correctly. Though I really don't understand why they would ditch the Max because now they complain about the Altima's gas mileage.

Maybe your friend saw ads touting the Altima MPG, and didn't understand that MPG was for the 2.5 engine. The 2.5 liter Altima is fine transpoortation, but has over a hundred HP less (182) than the Maxima (290), and is nearer the econobox class, not remotely close to being in the class of 3.5 liter sedans such as the Maxima.

But if they bought the 3.5 liter Altima that some folks are trying to compare with the Maxima, then their MPG would not be very different from the more stylish and polished Maxima.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 AM

I driver he new Altima 2.5 and thought the steering wheel was connected to a different car! Lol
Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Maybe your friend saw ads touting the Altima MPG, and didn't understand that MPG was for the 2.5 engine. The 2.5 liter Altima is fine transpoortation, but has over a hundred HP less (182) than the Maxima (290), and is nearer the econobox class, not remotely close to being in the class of 3.5 liter sedans such as the Maxima.

But if they bought the 3.5 liter Altima that some folks are trying to compare with the Maxima, then their MPG would not be very different from the more stylish and polished Maxima.
Yeah I agree. I've also driven a 2008 Altima V6 to compare to a 2009 Maxima. The power of course feels similar, but the Maxima is way nicer. The Altima just feels and looks cheap, inside and out.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Wink Rags to Riches - A very big difference.....

These two cars look nearly identical in passing - except for the Altima coupe. The Altima costs much less and offers every significant feature you'd want in a Max.

Don't let this fool you! These cars are two different machines designed for two different markets.

The Altima is your "Ham-and-Egger" everyday car. Great design, looks great, lots of features are available. If you're buying a car because it's pretty, has the features you're shopping for and care more about financing or leasing than the mumbo-jumbo on the window sticker, then THE ALTIMA IS OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD.

I wouldn't say that the Altima is cheap, has excessive road noise, flim-flam build quality nor would I say it's a rattle trap with inferior detail fit & finish. I wouldn't say it's bouncy - nor is it rough around the edges when you hit a bump. Truth is - it's average in all of these departments, just like every other mid-sized sedan!

However, all of the above is true if you're comparing the Altima to the Maxima. Although they look to be the same, they are worlds apart. It's nearly hard to comprehend that they were manufactured and engineered by the same company. The quality, engineering and design of the Maxima is premium and comparable to any luxury brand. Luxury, btw, I feel is a term that is overused for marketing purposes. The differences are not something you can see - however, they can be touched and experienced. If I was driving blindfolded, I'd probably guess I was driving a brand that costs 20k-30k more.

For some people, a car is all about the features. There is merit behind having heated seats, remote start, electric steering and whatnot for $20k. This can be had from many makes and models. If this is merely what you want, the Maxima isn't the right choice.

It's really like furniture, I suppose. If you like Oak or Mahogany - go for the Maxima. If pine or particle board gets the job done for you and you just want something nice and functional within a reasonable price tag - then the Altima wins in every department.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM

The maxima felt to me like a more plushy car right off the bat. Remember this is Nissan's flagship sedan, the altima is geared more towards bang for the buck. They don't cut too many corners with the maxima as they want it to appear as awesome as possible to someone test driving it. Theres a reason there is a price premium sticker wise. Now, that being said, you can load up an altima for probably a little cheaper than a loaded maxima, but when dealers start REALLY knocking that maxima price down, it becomes closer than you may think. Bottom line is you have to a) like the car and want to PAY for it over time b) be able to afford it without stretching yourself. Thats how I see it.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Nissan let the Altima get way too similar to the Maxima, to the point where only those with a trained eye can notice and appreciate the differences between the two cars. Why is it that you NEVER hear the Camry being compared to the Avalon even when they have similar V6 engines? Nissan needs to figure out Toyota's strategy and expand on that.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM

True, not sure what Nissan is thinking. They need to get it together and make the Maxima stand out more than the Altima...
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM

I have a 2010 maxima and my gf has the new 13 Altima, both cars white...every body I know thinks we have the same cars, now these people aren't "car" people but I agree that these cars too much alike. I constantly find myself having to defend my maxima. I'm not saying the build quality is the same but the layout of the interior is identical. The Altima even has the compartment under the radio controls I wish the maxima had. I know most have heard of the recalls for the new Altima cvt but I can vouche for this car at least that the tranny is just as responsive and quiet as my maxima. Just my .2 cents, overall I'd be happy driving either car
Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
I have a 2010 maxima and my gf has the new 13 Altima, both cars white...every body I know thinks we have the same cars, now these people aren't "car" people but I agree that these cars too much alike. I constantly find myself having to defend my maxima. I'm not saying the build quality is the same but the layout of the interior is identical. The Altima even has the compartment under the radio controls I wish the maxima had. I know most have heard of the recalls for the new Altima cvt but I can vouche for this car at least that the tranny is just as responsive and quiet as my maxima. Just my .2 cents, overall I'd be happy driving either car
Tommy - I certainly see your point. But, in thinking back on posts on Maxima.org for the past decade and longer, it seems every time a new generation Altima comes out, this board immediately begins comparing the newly re-designed Altima with the existing long-in-the-tooth Maxima.

But when a new generation Maxima comes out, few folks compare it with the Altima of that year, which would be several years into its generation.

That tells me that, in many ways, we are actually comparing apples to oranges here.

A more fair comparison might be a 2010 Altima with a 2010 Maxima. Or even better, wait until the 8th gen Maxima arrives and compare it to the Altima of that same year. I seriously doubt that the arrival of the 8th gen Maxima will elicit responses questioning whether the Maxima is different from the Altima.

Those who suggest the Altima and Maxima have similar looks are not looking closely. For instance, the grilles are opposite; the Altima has a Japanese fat hourglass style grille, while the Maxima has a much lower rounded rectangular Italian style grille. But some folks are looking at these two Nissan cars the same way I look at Toyotas; I can't tell a Camry from an Avalon unless I can read the letters on the rear.

The difference between the Altima and the Maxima can be different for different folks. For instance, I chose the Maxima because:

1 - My octogenerical hands absolutely require a heated steering wheel, and at the time I bought my Maxima, the Altima did not have that option.

2 - The Maxima clearly handled better than the Altima, which should be expected, since the Altima has a normal chassi, while Nissan substituted M45 components at key points in the Maxima suspension.

3 - The Maxima was quieter, and rode with a ride that seemed 'more firmly attached to the ground.'

4 - The interior materials in the Maxima seemed better than the Altima.

5 - For me, the styling of the Maxima was very attractive, while the Altima seemed like so many other cars. I have had countless remarks on how nice my 7th gen Maxima looks. Until this latest Altima generation, the only thing I found noticable on the Altima was those turbo taillights which many folks never liked.

I think another primary difference between the Altima and the Maxima is price. And when the Altima is loaded up near Maxima-level, the prices are within $5K or so of the same.

Utilitarian vs near-luxury. Not the same cars at all. Which one is best depends largely on the needs/situation of the buyer.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 AM

I just got the "They are the same" line by a guy at a local Mercedes meet. He was more or less just giving me a hard time, but it is a valid point before you get to the finer details. I told him we're all waiting to see the 8th Gen.

I own both the '12 max SV loaded to the gills (even with the useless trunk cargo tray - for secret chips and dip!), and a '13 Altima 2.5 for the wife. She is an appliance driver - just get her to where she needs to go, and get it done with good gas mileage, as she drives far more than I do for work. I like the car. She has all the features she needs. I find it comfortable to ride in and the one time I drove it, it got up and went to a decent degree.
I told her to try the 3.5, but the price creep was getting up there.

One note about the Infinity versus Max (slightly related, since the Q50 was brought up), even if the pricing was close enough, the dealership network is much better for Nissan where I live. I have 3 or 4 of them within 10 miles. Infinity would be a 45 minute ride each way for me, which is a hassle since I prefer to get service done at a dealer while the warranty is alive.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM

people who think they're the same don't understand the concept of build quality or why using quality materials are important.

this is like comparing an off-brand computer to a Dell or HP. the reason that off-brand PC with identical specs is cheaper is largely because they use cheaper parts. those cheaper parts are more likely to fail.

if the Maxima was that identical to the Altima, don't you think they'd price it the same? since they're not priced the same, is it just that you think the Maxima is overpriced because it has the name Maxima? as opposed to them actually sourcing many of the parts from their Infiniti vehicles? you can verify this with part numbers.

so yea, as mentioned before - the Altima is the "budget Maxima". for those who want a 3.5 liter Nissan sedan with some gadgets and don't look much past that, its hard to justify the upgrade to the Maxima. the Altima is cheaper in every sense, even the hood on my girl's 11 needs the dumb bar to hold it up.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlDente67
I just got the "They are the same" line by a guy at a local Mercedes meet. He was more or less just giving me a hard time, but it is a valid point before you get to the finer details. I told him we're all waiting to see the 8th Gen.

I own both the '12 max SV loaded to the gills (even with the useless trunk cargo tray - for secret chips and dip!), and a '13 Altima 2.5 for the wife. She is an appliance driver - just get her to where she needs to go, and get it done with good gas mileage, as she drives far more than I do for work. I like the car. She has all the features she needs. I find it comfortable to ride in and the one time I drove it, it got up and went to a decent degree.
I told her to try the 3.5, but the price creep was getting up there.

One note about the Infinity versus Max (slightly related, since the Q50 was brought up), even if the pricing was close enough, the dealership network is much better for Nissan where I live. I have 3 or 4 of them within 10 miles. Infinity would be a 45 minute ride each way for me, which is a hassle since I prefer to get service done at a dealer while the warranty is alive.
The current issue of Consumers Reports knocks the Q50 cars as a step back from the G37 cars. It states that the handling, noise and ride comfort (due to run flat tires with rigid sidewalls) deteriorated in the Q50 as opposed to the top rated G37.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Ok, earlier I wrote about a '12 Altima Coupe 2.5. Today I'm driving a '13 Altima 2.5 Sedan with 2,000 miles on it (loaner).

Most of what I said about the '12 Altima Coupe bares no application to the '13 Altima Sedan. The '13 Altima Sedan feels like a Nissan and represents everything Nissan is and should be.

Now - back to the original topic on the differences - now that I can compare two sedans, both 2013 -
  • The similarities between the Altima and the Maxima end at the way they look.
  • The Altima's steering is very "grocery getter" and nimble. It would make the perfect pizza delivery vehicle. Light-weight, wasting as little cab-forward sheet metal as possible.
  • Interior is well designed - even if it had all the same options as a Max it'd still be in that "great every day driver" category where the MAX has merit to be enthusiast-worthy with materials and qualities that a snob would be happy with.
  • Average road noise, no interior rattles - a very NICE car.

In closing, this is a much nicer car than the 2012 Altima Coupe - even though the '12 coupe had leather heated seats and a backup camera. If I didn't have "upscale" tastes and wanted a great comfortable car that had convenience options - and looked nice - I'd buy the Altima.

Car to car, I'd still choose the Maxima (despite the quirks mine has) - and the Altima? hmmmm Well, if you're only paying attention to where you're driving and the traffic around you, it's a transparent vehicle that isn't going to interrupt your day.

Last edited by jerZmax856; 11-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM

I test drove a few 2013 Altimas, all 2.5L SVs or SLs. I had similar comments for all of them:

- numb, dead steering
- noisy drivetrain
- rattles, creaks and one in particular had awful noises from the driver's wing mirror when driving
- felt lightweight, no real solidity compared to Maxima
Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghozt
then you, my friend, have never driven or been in an Altima. the parts they use can all come from the same place, but they aren't specifically the same quality or much less even the same part. go sit in an Altima, and go sit in a Maxima and you can even tell just from the interior the Maxima is higher quality. id take my 7th gen Max any day over the old Altima's and the new ones that look like squished Maximas.
Could not agree more... I had the opportunity to buy a new 2014 Altima 3.5 or a CPO 2013 Sport Maxima for roughly the same price and checked them both out thoroughly. Regardless of where they are assembled, the difference in material quality, fit and finish is significant and one of the differences that made me go with a pre-owned Max with 7500 miles. Frankly, the materials in the Altima reminded me of my friends Corolla.

Beyond materials, the Altima, to me, was a dead drive. The Maxima is a MUCH more enjoyable car to drive, and that is a big one for me having owned 3 Audi's (B5 S4, B6 S4, RS 6)
Old 04-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Shocking isn't it? Funny how even though they're based on the same platform that they are two entirely different experiences.

I'm not sure why they even offer a 6 cylinder in the altima. The altima is a nice car, not bashing it - but it strikes me as something someone would buy who isn't an enthusiast.... For someone who just wants something nice and pleasant with enough room for groceries, good on gad and shiny in the driveway..

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Could not agree more... I had the opportunity to buy a new 2014 Altima 3.5 or a CPO 2013 Sport Maxima for roughly the same price and checked them both out thoroughly. Regardless of where they are assembled, the difference in material quality, fit and finish is significant and one of the differences that made me go with a pre-owned Max with 7500 miles. Frankly, the materials in the Altima reminded me of my friends Corolla.

Beyond materials, the Altima, to me, was a dead drive. The Maxima is a MUCH more enjoyable car to drive, and that is a big one for me having owned 3 Audi's (B5 S4, B6 S4, RS 6)
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Also keep in mind guys, the new generation Altima is always designed off of the previous generation Maxima. This is why the new 5th gen Altima looks similar to the current Maxima. Was the same with the 4th gen Altima looking like the 6th gen Max (headlight design, hood 2007-2009 model, body in general from the side) and even the 3rd gen altima having similar design features to the 5th Maxima.

Could keep going but you get the point. Copying the design of the previous Max isn't something Nissan just started doing. This has been from the beginning since Nissan created to Altima to upgrade the Max to an entry level car.

Is Nissan lazy on the Altima design? Yes, but it is what it is.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 PM

I saw this mashup long ago and honestly I know my Maxima is much faster than the test results they showed on this testing. I've used several instruments to test and my results have always been between 5.8 and 6 secs flat to 60.

8 seconds to 60 must mean that there is something wrong with that Maxima.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Ok, so to summarize the justification between the two from the reviews I've read here amounts to the following:

Ride/handling quality
Interior material and quality/fit and finish
brakes
Exclusivity of vehicle class

Are we (Maxima owners) too biased to say that all of those things together doesn't justify a $5,000-$10,000 mark up??

Or are we saying that all of those things together are worth the $5-$10K mark-up difference?

Is this the difference in pricing between the Maxima and the Q50? Would you justify their price difference for the Q in comparison to the Max??
Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Would you justify their price difference for the Q in comparison to the Max??
I would justify it if I could actually afford it
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Ok, so to summarize the justification between the two from the reviews I've read here amounts to the following:

Ride/handling quality
brakes

Are we (Maxima owners) too biased to say that all of those things together doesn't justify a $5,000-$10,000 mark up??

Or are we saying that all of those things together are worth the $5-$10K mark-up difference?

Is this the difference in pricing between the Maxima and the Q50? Would you justify their price difference for the Q in comparison to the Max??

This may well have been a valid discussion through the 2012 model year. And the answer depended on the buyer (and his budget).

I have owned nothing but Maximas since October of 1984 (every generation), and will be buying the 8th gen when it is released. But if the Maxima did not exist, the Altima would not be on my top ten list as a replacement. At the time I bought my '09 Maxima, a heated steering wheel was not even available on the Altima, and that is an absolute requirement for an octogenarian. But the shortcomings of the Altima go far beyond that . . too many to list here.

But there is another far more important reason this discussion is no longer valid:

While both the Maxima and Altima have always been at least of average reliability, and usually above average, that ended with the intro of the 2013 Altima. The Altima is now rated 'much worse than average' (blackballed) in reliability by Consumer Reports. That agrees with the many complaints I am hearing at my dealership and reading about. The well-publicized failures of the new CVT in the latest Altimas is what led Nissan to postpone the release of the 8th gen Maxima.

What started out as a valid Altima-Maxima discussion has, with the many problems of the new Altima, lost all meaning.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 AM

I do agree I think the traction controls were on during there tests or they frankly didn't mash the gas . My max is faster than an Altima any day of the week there really needs to be a comparison on you tube put together again . My manager has a 13 base Altima and I have a 2011 sv maxima maybe I could pair them up ? We will see and who will help ? In all reality I did get a 2013 Altima sv with 1,000 miles on it from the dealer And yes way cheaper the biggest part was the door seals were snapped together with plastic rivets which equal lower quality when you close the door = less sealing effectiveness kind of like good windows at home and non insulated windows and not to mention the car was floating all over the highway which was immediately less pleasing . The interior was base cloth and the dash was crap the layout was for an 18 year old who just got there license . Yes and the engine the 4 banger . Lol a wayyy underpowered car kind of like the 2.0 mitsubishi motors with an automatic . Lol . And by the way my car was getting the hood repainted because it had a factory defect in it and the speaker in the door was being replaced all under warranty .
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 AM

Being that we just purchased a brand new 2014 Maxima, I can honestly say the Altima vs. Maxima argument should really be nonexistent.

Your average driver might see the Altima the same as the Max, but those who know anything about cars clearly know Maxima is a way better car.

I test drove quite a few of these cars, including 2013/2014 3.5 Altimas and 2012/2013/2014 Maxima and the Altima is simply nothing alike. Altima feels way cheaper, the drive is way disconnected, steering feels like crap, the NASA seats are nothing special and I liked the Maxima seats more, etc, etc...

Overall the Altima is like a Camry, bland and boring plus everyone and their mother has one. Maxima on the other hand, is a way better car and you do get a good bit of car for the money considering what new Maximas are going for out the door. It's a no contest, Maxima wins hands down in every category.

Maxima = still a poor mans BMW
Altima = your basic Camry/Honda Accord type sedan for the common man

My brother is leasing a new Altima 3.5 SL, and after he rode in the Maxima and got a chance to really check it out he said "UHhhh man, should've looked at the Maxima" and all I can say was "Yeah bro, I told you!"...His description of the Altima is "Ahh, it's OKAY, decent car to get around in" but when he rode in the Maxima he said "Now this is a car you can feel good in"
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM

I hate videos like this. At least grab the top of the line max. And i have no idea how that guy has no room in the back. I can B.S. on many levels lol
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM

I dunno. I think those who can justify it buy a Maxima, and those who can't buy an Altima, or something else.

The reality is that a person buys the car he/she like when, in his/her mind, the value equation slips into the "good deal" bracket. But furthermore, no one will buy a car they don't like, regardless of the perception of its value.

For me, the new Altima was never a consideration. I don't like it. I had an '08 3.5 SL. That was a nice car, but when I bought it I was comparing it to the 6th gen Maxima, the anteater. The new Altima has less interior room (subjectively, I didn't look it up), makes use of hard plastics everywhere, has less sound deadening, and is subjectively not as pleasing a shape as the current Maxima.

All that said, I would probably get the Infiniti if I didn't work for a dealer group with a Nissan franchise. But I did choose the Nissan over a similarly equipped Volvo. My opinion is that the Nissan offers better value. However, there is a lot of personal opinion that goes into that judgement, and each of us is free to decide for ourself.

Ride/handling quality
brakes

Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM

For me the Altima was never on the radar. The decision was either a used G37 or used Maxima SV.

The Max won, for the following reasons:
- nicer exterior styling. I think the G37 is nice inside, but boring outside.
- slightly more exclusive / rare vs G's in my area.
- attracts less attention.
- I actually prefer FWD. Yes, I've had 4WD, RWD and decided I like the FWD best.

The Altima is a good vehicle, but too common and built to serve the masses and not the more discerning of tastes.

Off topic: the VW gang have the same discussions about the Jetta vs Passat. IMHO, the newest Passat is a German version of the previous Chev Impala, hence my reason to shop elsewhere!

Last edited by KGMtech; 04-07-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: What justifies the difference in Maxima over Altima?