7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

What justifies the difference in Maxima over Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:10 PM

What justifies the difference in Maxima over Altima?

I've read many reviews from people and I've actually seen many market comparos between the Maxima and the Altima and many people seem to think that the Maxima has nothing to set itself far enough apart from the Altima that justifies the hefty increase in price range.

Many people say that they'll skip the Maxima altogether and just climb into the new Infiniti Q50 and why bother with the Max that is smaller, slower and not as well appointed as the Maxima.

Other than the quality of the ride itself, what else about the Maxima sets it apart from the Altima to justify the increase difference in price?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 PM

you can compare them side to side on paper and they sound equivalent, but my girl's Altima feels cheaper than my Max - simply put. the build quality of the interior isn't as good, feels like they used cheaper parts or something. ive heard the new CVT's which are more responsive than the ones we have, are having problems and breaking down. the Maxima has an Infiniti interior, hence why it's identical to the G37's interior. the Altima has a Nissan interior (if that makes sense). the newer Alti's have a few new gadgets but otherwise have the same tech. the aftermarket however seems much larger for the Altima
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree with what Ghozt stated. I believe the Maxima is a better looking car as well. I myself have gotten quite a few compliments from perfect strangers. It's nice having a car that you don't see everywhere you go.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 PM

I have an Altima now as a loaner for a week. First, Maxima's sell for FAR less than sticker so throw that number out.

The Altima feels cheaper, especially the interior and I don't care for the steering wheel. It's a longer and thinner car and I just don't like the overall look

The base Q50 is much more than a SV Max will go for and it's RWD so different car

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-14-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM

This is just like the 'regular/premium' or 'manual/CVT' or any of dozens of other comparisons that depend on the views of each individual.

I could list dozens of reasons why I prefer the Maxima, but will stick to just a few:

At the time I bought my Maxima, I could not get a heated steering wheel on the Altima. Most octogenarians and others with poor circulation in their hands MUST have a heated steering wheel or have someone else drive. It was available on the Maxima.

I wanted the new panoramic roof, and was not able to get one on the Altima. It was available on the Maxima.

I loved the 7th gen Maxima styling from the first time I saw it. Those space rocket tail lights we saw on the Altima for a decade or so gradually changed from unattractive to passe. For me, the last few generations of the Altima seemed as if designers were simply trying not to offend anyone, not inspire folks. I like inspiration.

When I head to the parking lot, I don't want to have to decide which of the 34,829 Altimas is mine. I look bland enough as a person. I need a vehicle that I can feel good about.

The price advantage of the Altima is somewhat misleading. Yes, the bulk of Altimas on the road are reasonably priced below $20K But they are the 2.5 liter version. The 3.5 Altimas look just like the $18K Altimas, but have an MSRP around $30K. Which is virtually into Maxima S territory.

Comparing Maxima pricing to Q50 pricing is not correct. Maxima MSRPs range from around $31K to $42K. But they SELL for from $25K (Nissan dealers in the Atlanta area have been selling new 2013 Maximas for $23.9 and $24.9 for months) to $36K. But Q50 prices range from around $38K to $62K.

Unless the Infiniti dealers in your area are VASTLY different than around where I live, you will not get nearly the percentage discount on the Q50 that you will on the Maxima. There is virtually no price overlap between the Maxima and the Q50, because a totally loaded Maxima can be had for around $36K, and the only Q50 available that might be discounted to that price would be the base entry level version.

The Q50 is, in many ways, a renaming of the G, which is a RWD auto tranny vehicle that has not performed or sold to Infiniti's expectations. I much prefer FWD and love the more fuel efficient and power efficient CVT.

And the new Altima is rated below the old Maxima for handling and ride by Consumer Reports.

Which brings us to the crux of the situation. We are comparing the 7th gen Maxima, designed in late 2006, test driven in late 2007, manufactured since January 2008, and available at dealers since June 26, 2008 against a brand new redesigned Altima. Except for a problem with their new CVT (discovered on Nissan's 'test vehicle', the Altima), we would have a totally new Maxima this coming spring. But Nissan wants the Maxima to be correct from the start, so will hold off the new Maxima until the CVT is perfect.

But when the new Maxima does arrive, I suspect we will not be seeing these 'Altima vs Maxima' threads for several years, if ever. The Altima is mass-produced for the masses (at least 250K per year), while the Maxima is produced in limited quantities for a more discerning clientele.

That gives us a choice. I think the situation can best be stated that, if I listed my top twenty choices for a vehicle, when all factors are considered, the Maxima is my first choice, and the Altima would not make my list of twenty.

I will probably only live once, and I want that once to be as enjoyable as can reasonably be expected.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 PM

^
you prefer fwd over rwd?

why
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Because in the nissan world there are few models concerning rear wheel drive jeezz. read the thing.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 PM

Like the topic

Good thought lighting, what really makes sense are the production numbers you spoke of. Mass production of anything in many products can take some quality. For car manufactures its a balancing act as to their risk each time they produce an new model especially mass produced. I worked in the auto industry as welder in my youth and I ran a spot welding machine. Most parts that I welded were side impact beams for various US auto makers. The company that I worked for almost loss their contract because some of these beams were failing due to cold welds and coming apart. That happens when the operator don't change and check the tips on the machine the fuses the welds together. So after that every 100 parts of so a quality control employee would come by and test it by way of ruining the part and by the time they were done you made 100 more. The other 99 parts don't get touched nor seen even though the past quality control. Point being the car manufactures take the risk that those 99 don't come back in a recall to haunt them. And this was one of a thousand plus parts that make up a automobile. Taken the human factor out diminishes quality, putting it in raises cost. Like the interior lighting was talking about the more you simplify a product in most part in mass production the less risk the more complex the more eyes and quality control. Remember Chrysler years ago when Chrysler Chairman Lee Iacocca saved them? He understood this principle an Mass produced the K cars, nothing complex all simple and that cut cost. Safe reliable auto but it wasn't no Cadillac. Don't know why Nissan tried to top their Maxima line with the Altima. Perhaps they thought the Maxima was on its way out and to me seems apparent by names given. Sure Nissan puts much effort into balancing their product lines. In the end its up to the consumer to find the best bang for their buck.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 AM

The reviews are a good place to start, however, nothing beats a test drive. I walked into a Nissan dealer 2 years ago intent on buying an Altima. I took it for a test drive and when I came back to the dealer he suggested that I may to try a Maxima. After driving the car for 5 minutes it was no contest. Furthermore, the heavy discounting on the Maxima made the price gap manageable. I also rented a new Altima a few months ago for a week. I still prefer the Maxima.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM

for starters look at the body style. it's two totally different design themes.

the a35 has the biggest wheel bulge flares on the market. Nothing even comes close.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BBmaxi
for starters look at the body style. it's two totally different design themes.

the a35 has the biggest wheel bulge flares on the market. Nothing even comes close.
this is actually exactly what I look at when I compare the 7th gen to other cars. the flared fenders give it the coke bottle shape we love, and you don't even see them this flared on the other Nissan/Infiniti's. I've gotten some hate from 350 and G35 owners for how well staggered rims fit my FWD car
Old 10-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Last I looked, the Altima did NOT have climate controlled driver seat. That sealed the deal for me for as many miles that I drive and how hot it is in Fl, it is an imperative!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Drive 'em

I agree with the recommendation to test drive both the Altima and the Maxima. To me the difference is dramatic in handling and ride. The new generation Altima has a much less sturdy feel and the cvt performance may be responsive but it doesn't give you a lot of confidence because of the shudder at 20-30 mph. Then step back and just look at the cars. To me the Max wins the looks test hands down. The Altima has a bigger trunk and better gas mileage but loses every other comparison. The Maxima is definitely worth the $$ compared to the Altima 3.5 IMO.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM

My last two vehicles were a 2005 Altima 3.5SE and a 2008 Altima 3.5SE, but the 7th gen Max REALLY caught my eye when they came out. The '08 got wrecked a month or so ago, and I had the opportunity to get a 2012 Maxima S LE when my insurance settlement came in, so I jumped at the chance. While I loved driving both of Alti's, I'm very happy I went with the Max. I like everything about the vehicle except the need to use premium gas ($$$). Ride quality is better, the interior build quality is superior, radio sounds better and it just looks so much better.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was intent on an Altima too...

When I told the dealership that I was interested in a 6 cylinder Altima, they pushed me to do one test drive of a Max. Smart move on their part! I insisted on following that test drive with one of a 6 cylinder Altima, and it was really no comparison. Despite being of similar size, the ride on the Max is much heavier and more substantial. You feel like you're in a plush seat, rather than the Altima, which feels like a much lighter vehicle. IMO, I don't think Nissan does a good enough job marketing this difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by george__
^
you prefer fwd over rwd?

why

Yes, I prefer FWD.

I drove RWD vehicles from the late 1940s until October 1984, at which time I purchased two 1985 Maximas (one for my wife). The '85 was the first Maxima with FWD. I had driven FWD in a 1966 Olds Toronado, and did not like the FWD in that car. But a test drive in the '85 Maxima changed my mind on FWD.

I prefer FWD for many reasons. Among them:

1 - I find I can drive FWD vehicles easier than RWD vehicles in light snow and slush, because over 60% of the weight of the car is over the drive (front) wheels.

2 - I find I can drive FWD vehicles easier than RWD vehicles on ice on fairly level terrain. Having most of the weight of the car over the drive wheels makes a big difference.

3 - I find FWD vehicles are less-prone to spinouts on wet roads. I think that is because spinouts are normally caused by the power going to the rear wheels causing them to break traction, causing the rear of the car to swing around. Front wheels breaking traction do not cause the rear of the car to swing around.

4 - I find FWD vehicles usually have a slightly smaller hump in the floor of the rear passenger compartment, as no drive shaft is running to the rear axle. With two children and three granddaughters, I often have three folks in the rear seat.

5 - This is strictly a personal preference, but I prefer the 'feel' of driving a FWD vehicle over a RWD vehicle on curvy mountain roads. I like the feel of the front tires pulling in the direction I am trying to go instead of being pushed. I understand some drivers feel differently, especially those driving very aggressively.

I understand that drivers more familiar with RWD may simply prefer RWD. I also understand that drivers participating in serious track racing, road racing, elapsed time runs, drifting, etc, will be happier with RWD.

But I am not into any of those endeavors. This Maxima is not a race car or track car or a car intended to be used for racing or drifting. It is a simple, sporty, reliable, fairly powerful upscale family sedan that is attractively designed with an aggressive appearance, is a lot of fun to drive, and is very comfortable on long trips. It is a perfect fit for the driving I do.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, I prefer FWD.

I drove RWD vehicles from the late 1940s until October 1984, at which time I purchased two 1985 Maximas (one for my wife). The '85 was the first Maxima with FWD. I had driven FWD in a 1966 Olds Toronado, and did not like the FWD in that car. But a test drive in the '85 Maxima changed my mind on FWD.

I prefer FWD for many reasons. Among them:

1 - I find I can drive FWD vehicles easier than RWD vehicles in light snow and slush, because over 60% of the weight of the car is over the drive (front) wheels.

2 - I find I can drive FWD vehicles easier than RWD vehicles on ice on fairly level terrain. Having most of the weight of the car over the drive wheels makes a big difference.

3 - I find FWD vehicles are less-prone to spinouts on wet roads. I think that is because spinouts are normally caused by the power going to the rear wheels causing them to break traction, causing the rear of the car to swing around. Front wheels breaking traction do not cause the rear of the car to swing around.

4 - I find FWD vehicles usually have a slightly smaller hump in the floor of the rear passenger compartment, as no drive shaft is running to the rear axle. With two children and three granddaughters, I often have three folks in the rear seat.

5 - This is strictly a personal preference, but I prefer the 'feel' of driving a FWD vehicle over a RWD vehicle on curvy mountain roads. I like the feel of the front tires pulling in the direction I am trying to go instead of being pushed. I understand some drivers feel differently, especially those driving very aggressively.

I understand that drivers more familiar with RWD may simply prefer RWD. I also understand that drivers participating in serious track racing, road racing, elapsed time runs, drifting, etc, will be happier with RWD.

But I am not into any of those endeavors. This Maxima is not a race car or track car or a car intended to be used for racing or drifting. It is a simple, sporty, reliable, fairly powerful upscale family sedan that is attractively designed with an aggressive appearance, is a lot of fun to drive, and is very comfortable on long trips. It is a perfect fit for the driving I do.
As always, the best explanations. I love your point of view and I agree with all those statements. Maybe in a couple of years when it's time to upgrade, I'll head on over to Infiniti (or Tesla if I go electric) and see what the RWD is all about. Until then, I'm fine with FWD.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I've read many reviews from people and I've actually seen many market comparos between the Maxima and the Altima and many people seem to think that the Maxima has nothing to set itself far enough apart from the Altima that justifies the hefty increase in price range.

Many people say that they'll skip the Maxima altogether and just climb into the new Infiniti Q50 and why bother with the Max that is smaller, slower and not as well appointed as the Maxima.

Other than the quality of the ride itself, what else about the Maxima sets it apart from the Altima to justify the increase difference in price?
Great topic.

The big selling point for me for the Max over the Altima is the quality feel and luxury. Climb into a well appointed Maxima and hold your hand over the Nissan badge and it's difficult not to believe you are in an Infinity. My dad used to own an M35X with the tech package and my Maxima is so similar that it blew me away. Him too.

The seats are awesome. I drive around 1800-2000 miles a month and I adore the seats. The sound system is great and when I give people rides, they are impressed with the level of luxury, comfort level, and performance.

The Altima is a nice car, but it's more like an Accord than an Infinity. I sat in a loaded Altima and the materials felt a step down. The sound system wasn't as good. It was louder inside. The seats weren't as comfortable.

My brother drove a new Altima as a loaner and he complained about the steering feel and transmission feeling less responsive than he'd like. He hated the seats and generally didn't like the car much.

If I was shopping for a family car to plop a few kids and wife into to run errands, I'd consider the Altima but cross shop the Camry, Accord, and Sonata. Since I wanted more of a luxury vehicle, have no kids (yet), and just came out of an Accord, the Max ticked all the boxes.

The best way to tell the difference is to test drive both back to back. Pay attention to materials, driving feel, seats, audio system, technology, etc. The Altima has more room in the back, but since no one ever really rides back there with me, I just don't see that as a big benefit.

Plus, I really like the curves on my Max.

The Max is a tweener car. It isn't a family sedan ala Accord/Altima/Camry etc. It isn't a luxury car like an Infinity/Lexus/Cadillac/BMW etc. It's in between. I've read and watched reviews where they tried to compare the Max and Altima and came to the conclusion that the reviewer wasn't comparing apples to apples. If you want more of an "executive" car, it's the Max all day. If you want a family sedan, it's probably the Altima that works for most.

I cross shopped the Max with the VW CC, VW Passat, Honda Accord V6 Touring, BMW 320, Altima V6, and Ford Fusion. I chose the Max because it was just enough luxury, comfort, and sport and had every bell and whistle I wanted for the right money.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. If you can't afford a BMW 335 but the 320 isn't going to do it for you, why settle? Of the cars I shopped, btw, the only decision I really had to make was CC or Maxima. I think I chose well.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by M4XIM4
I like everything about the vehicle except the need to use premium gas ($$$).
Open your gas cap and read the words, I believe it says something along the lines of premium "recommended" not required. I thought this as well until my wife and I were looking to get her a new car and she asked the salesman if premium was required, (she hates that I put premium in my cars) we were looking to get her an Altima. Thank goodness she got a new turbo Optima instead.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM

I use mid grade in mine. pretty good mileage. 21/26 isn't to bad I don't think. SO hi test isn't required to get good mileage.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I liked my 2010 Altima 2.5 SL. I LOVE my 2013 Maxima SV Sport Tech. That sums it up for me.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
I use mid grade in mine. pretty good mileage. 21/26 isn't to bad I don't think. SO hi test isn't required to get good mileage.
We drove my wife's new Optima on our last road trip to Iowa and we got there and drove for the weekend on one tank of gas. My Maxima would have taken 2 tanks. Her car averaged 32 mpg's while going 80+ mph. I filled it up when we got home and the DTE showed 532 miles, I later filled my Maxima and my DTE showed 418. Talk about jealous, her car has everything mine has plus folding mirrors, cooled seats, cooled glove box, big brakes, and its turbo. The best mileage I've ever got in my car is 22 mpg, but I normally get 18 to 19.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
We drove my wife's new Optima on our last road trip to Iowa and we got there and drove for the weekend on one tank of gas. My Maxima would have taken 2 tanks. Her car averaged 32 mpg's while going 80+ mph. I filled it up when we got home and the DTE showed 532 miles, I later filled my Maxima and my DTE showed 418. Talk about jealous, her car has everything mine has plus folding mirrors, cooled seats, cooled glove box, big brakes, and its turbo. The best mileage I've ever got in my car is 22 mpg, but I normally get 18 to 19.
But.... which is more enjoyable to drive? The more enjoyable the car, the heavier the foot becomes.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Apples to oranges. These are different vehicles in many ways. The Optima is a competitor with the Accord, Camry and Altima, and exactly in their price range ($21K-$27K). My old 2009 Maxima built over five years ago has heated and cooled driver seat, rear window sunscreen, double-panel roof, heated steering wheel, etc.

The Maxima is a near-luxury car that rides smoother, more securely and more quietly than the Optima. If you don't believe this, head to Consumer Reports and check. To quote CR: 'The Optima falls short in ride comfort, braking, . . . . the ride is stiff and road noise is noticable.' 'The four cylinder turbo is economical and powerful, but not as refined as a V6.'

Keep in mind that the Optima Turbo is a new design, while the current Maxima is a 2006-07 design that went into production in January 2008 and has been selling since June 2008. It will be replaced as soon as Nissan gets the final bugs out of its new 'instant response' CVT it is testing in the Aktima and Pathfinder. This 8th gen Maxima will make it very clear that the Maxima and the Optima are totally different vehicles aimed at completely different target demographics.

The smaller and lighter Optima with its four cylinder turbo engine should get better fuel efficiency than a real six cylinder engine in a near-luxury Maxima. But to quote the 'distance to empty' numbers is tilting at windmills. Depending on how hard I have pressed on my accellerator over the last few miles, I can get any number between 20 miles and 80 miles left. Or between 500 and 250 miles left.

Some folks are getting 32 MPH on long freeway trips with the Maxima, some are getting 30, and some are getting 28 or even 27. Too many variables to make direct comparison meaningful. Also, the fuel gauge is calibrated differently on the Maxima, with 'empty' popping up on the dash with five gallons (of a 20 gallon tank) still in the tank. This helps to avoid overheating the fuel pump, which is in the gas tank, and depends on being immersed in fuel in order to stay cool.

And it would not have taken TWO tanks of gas in the Maxima if the Optima made it in one. It might have taken a little more than ONE tank in the Maxima, but not TWO.

Of course there will be some folks who like the Optima styling. I happen to think it looks contrived. Not bad for the price range, but just a little overdone. While the 7th generation Maxima styling has grown more popular over the last five years, I think the current Optima styling has already passed its 'peak approval' point.

But all that dialogue is beside the point. The Optima is a fine midsize midprice vehicle, and a lot for the money, and aimed squarely at the Altima, Camry and Accord. Kia targets their CADENZA against the Maxima.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Apples to oranges. These are different vehicles in many ways. The Optima is a competitor with the Accord, Camry and Altima, and exactly in their price range ($21K-$27K). My old 2009 Maxima built over five years ago has heated and cooled driver seat, rear window sunscreen, double-panel roof, heated steering wheel, etc.

The Maxima is a near-luxury car that rides smoother, more securely and more quietly than the Optima. If you don't believe this, head to Consumer Reports and check. To quote CR: 'The Optima falls short in ride comfort, braking, . . . . the ride is stiff and road noise is noticable.' 'The four cylinder turbo is economical and powerful, but not as refined as a V6.'

Keep in mind that the Optima Turbo is a new design, while the current Maxima is a 2006-07 design that went into production in January 2008 and has been selling since June 2008. It will be replaced as soon as Nissan gets the final bugs out of its new 'instant response' CVT it is testing in the Aktima and Pathfinder. This 8th gen Maxima will make it very clear that the Maxima and the Optima are totally different vehicles aimed at completely different target demographics.

The smaller and lighter Optima with its four cylinder turbo engine should get better fuel efficiency than a real six cylinder engine in a near-luxury Maxima. But to quote the 'distance to empty' numbers is tilting at windmills. Depending on how hard I have pressed on my accellerator over the last few miles, I can get any number between 20 miles and 80 miles left. Or between 500 and 250 miles left.

Some folks are getting 32 MPH on long freeway trips with the Maxima, some are getting 30, and some are getting 28 or even 27. Too many variables to make direct comparison meaningful. Also, the fuel gauge is calibrated differently on the Maxima, with 'empty' popping up on the dash with five gallons (of a 20 gallon tank) still in the tank. This helps to avoid overheating the fuel pump, which is in the gas tank, and depends on being immersed in fuel in order to stay cool.

And it would not have taken TWO tanks of gas in the Maxima if the Optima made it in one. It might have taken a little more than ONE tank in the Maxima, but not TWO.

Of course there will be some folks who like the Optima styling. I happen to think it looks contrived. Not bad for the price range, but just a little overdone. While the 7th generation Maxima styling has grown more popular over the last five years, I think the current Optima styling has already passed its 'peak approval' point.

But all that dialogue is beside the point. The Optima is a fine midsize midprice vehicle, and a lot for the money, and aimed squarely at the Altima, Camry and Accord. Kia targets their CADENZA against the Maxima.
I agree. Though this thread is for an Altima and a Maxima, I feel bringing another vehicle that would be in competition with the Altima and not the Maxima further shows that there can be no legitimate justification of a true similarity in the two Nissans but a huge difference.

@lightonthehill, I have looked at CR and saw what you saw in regards to the Optima and moreover, just to humor myself, test drove a 2013 Optima before getting my 2012 Max SV last year. Even when I test drove the base Max, I felt safer and 'sexier' in it compared to the Optima. The drive, look, feel of control, materials, paint, wheels, sound system, engine, and speed of the Maxima were superior in regards to the Optima. I took a trip to Dallas last weekend to see my best friend and she commented "This car is so luxurious, it makes me feel like I should be wearing an evening gown and full makeup in it." Now while her compliment is a bit embellished and I am by no means driving a Maybach, you can understand that the interior of a Maxima is far from cheaply made or lacking in its appointments. That's more than what I can say for the Optima which made me feel like I was inside a Burger King (the new Burger King refresh looks nice but the inside is still drab).

When it comes to gas mileage, the Altima and the Optima alike will give you great gas mileage. Any person with pockets of intelligence will know that people do not buy Maximas for their superior gas mileage. That's just something you take with a grain of salt. It doesn't have the best but it's far from the worst gas guzzlers (I did get around 33MPG going to Dallas). I would sacrifice gas mileage, signifying I have since I bought a Max, for near luxury, comfort, and security.

The look of the Optima as you put it was nice for a while and I, too, feel that it does look contrived and has plateaued. I feel the reason for this is that Kia and Hyundai both "borrow" a little too much inspiration from other cars instead of "blessing" their cars with their own bits of memorable inspiration. The Maxima may look dated to some, but it has a look that is distinct and modeled only after itself. I will take the V6 over a turbo any day. I will spend 2-4K more to secure a more solid and aggressive vehicle. It's all about what you can bear but of course "different strokes."

I look forward to this 8th gen. There will be NO comparison to an Altima or an Optima when it is finally unveiled and driven off lots. No matter how radical or subdued the new Maxima will be, I know that there will be something distinct and unique about to it to add to its long lineage, maybe even 40MPG. :-)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Propa Teknique - You put things better than I did.

The Maxima and the Altima are both fine vehicles, but there are clear reasons Nissan charges around $10K more for a base Maxima than for a base Altima, and around $10K more for a loaded Maxima than for a loaded Altima.

With the intense competition between manufacturers these days, companies cannot use the 'what the market will bear' approach. Vehicles must be priced based on the cost of design, parts and labor involved, and the costs of design, parts and labor to build the Maxima are considerably greater than to build the Altima.

That additional cost investment is why the Maxima looks, rides, handles and performs a little better in almost all areas than the Altima.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
you can compare them side to side on paper and they sound equivalent, but my girl's Altima feels cheaper than my Max - simply put. the build quality of the interior isn't as good, feels like they used cheaper parts or something. ive heard the new CVT's which are more responsive than the ones we have, are having problems and breaking down. the Maxima has an Infiniti interior, hence why it's identical to the G37's interior. the Altima has a Nissan interior (if that makes sense). the newer Alti's have a few new gadgets but otherwise have the same tech. the aftermarket however seems much larger for the Altima
just letting you know, the Altima and Maxima are built on the same assembly line so build quality is the same, and the majority of their parts come from the same places
Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
just letting you know, the Altima and Maxima are built on the same assembly line so build quality is the same, and the majority of their parts come from the same places
then you, my friend, have never driven or been in an Altima. the parts they use can all come from the same place, but they aren't specifically the same quality or much less even the same part. go sit in an Altima, and go sit in a Maxima and you can even tell just from the interior the Maxima is higher quality. id take my 7th gen Max any day over the old Altima's and the new ones that look like squished Maximas.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM

I have a 2013 Max, I had a 2013 Altima SL as a loaner for a week

The cars make look similar but that's where it ends
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Yes, I have sat on the sidelines in Smyrna and watched the Maximas and Altimas and other vehicles come down the same assembly line interleaved with each other. Just like I watched the GM and Ford assembly lines back in the 1950s and 1960s and the Ford assembly lines again every day for four weeks in the 1980s. I still remember actually seeing Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Chevys coming down the same GM line in Doraville GA in 1968.

Although many of the parts come from the same subcontractors, the requirements and specifications differ for each part for each vehicle. For instance, the 7th gen Maxima chassi uses Infiniti M parts at critical points, while the Altima chassi does not.

I will say once more that Nissan is charging $10K more for the Maxima because they are putting better parts, more design effort, etc, into the Maxima. And it shows in the final product.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM

I will say once more that Nissan is charging $10K more for the Maxima because they are putting better parts, more design effort, etc, into the Maxima. And it shows in the final product.

Looking at cars direct the loaded Max Sv is about $5K more than the loaded SL using what one might actually pay
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Yes, I have sat on the sidelines in Smyrna and watched the Maximas and Altimas and other vehicles come down the same assembly line interleaved with each other. Just like I watched the GM and Ford assembly lines back in the 1950s and 1960s and the Ford assembly lines again every day for four weeks in the 1980s. I still remember actually seeing Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Chevys coming down the same GM line in Doraville GA in 1968.

Although many of the parts come from the same subcontractors, the requirements and specifications differ for each part for each vehicle. For instance, the 7th gen Maxima chassi uses Infiniti M parts at critical points, while the Altima chassi does not.

Did they just let you sit and watch the cars being made? I thought it was kind of private?? Did you have to have some type of special "pass" to do that or did you work there?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
Looking at cars direct the loaded Max Sv is about $5K more than the loaded SL using what one might actually pay

I am comparing bottom-of-the-line Altima vs bottom-of-the-line Maxima, and top-of-the-line Altima vs top-of-the-line Maxima.

A loaded SV is simply an 'interim' level Maxima. A top-of-the-line Maxima must have either the Sport or Premium package, plus the Tech package. And that puts the MSRP well over $40K, where the loaded Altima is just over $30K.

Of course both can be had at lower prices, but the gap is still nearer $10K than $5K. And there is the further situation where some folks do not have much choice.

There are things I wanted that the Altima did not have at any price when I bought five years ago. Such things as heated steering wheel (a 'must' with my old hands), rear window power sunscreen, panoramic roof, backup camera (which will soon be required on all vehicles), etc. I'm sure the Altima has picked up a few of these options in recent years, but even as the Altima adds options, the next Maxima will have lots more goodies on it than the Altima.

The timing of the release of generations of the Altima and the Maxima are also a factor here. Going forward, Nissan will probably be bringing out new generations of the Altima shortly before new generations of the Maxima because that gives a window during which the Altima looks fresh, has all the goodies, and will sell well. Then in a year or two, Nissan slams that Altima window shut with the release of a new generation Maxima. And opinions on this board swing back to the Maxima.

Marketing has always been fascinating to me.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
Did they just let you sit and watch the cars being made? I thought it was kind of private?? Did you have to have some type of special "pass" to do that or did you work there?
Propa - Things were very different a long time ago. Security was seldom a consideration in the 1950s and 1960s, because cameras were larger and more easily kept away from the assembly line. Also, most of my trips to assembly lines back then were at times there was nothing 'secret' coming down the line. As a further example, in 1965, one could walk into almost any building in a city the size of Atlanta and have no locked doors, no armed guards, and no questions asked. Not that there was much to steal back then except maybe a Remington typewriter or some pencils.

I have viewed assembly lines as a casual observer interested in how the lines work, as part of a 'time and motion' project, as preparation for writing an article for the local newspaper, and (specifically the four weeks at the Ford assembly line in Clayco, MO), helping Norfolk Southern Corp (railway) come up with the best arrangement of bringing in rail cars loaded with car parts, removing those cars when empty, bringing in empty auto racks, and taking out auto racks loaded with newly assembled vehicles.

All that might seem simple, but there are so many factors involved. Assembly plants and rail companies arrange delivery schedules wherein rail cars loaded with parts arrive at just the time they are needed, relieving congestion in the rail yard next to the assembly plant. Money has to be paid on every rail car every day by somebody, even if the car is simply sitting (loaded or empty) on a siding. Also, there are hundreds of pages of rules regarding what can (and cannot) be done with empty rail cars.

But, more to the current situation, advance reservations are now required to visit virtually any auto assembly line, and it is not always possible to get a reservation on the day desired. At the plants I have visited in recent years, no cameras or cell phones (or any electronic gadgets) are allowed past the visitor's entrance. Visitors are kept together, led by a tourguide, often in small electric carts which then tour the plant. The tourguide can usually answer any questions.

All Maximas beginning with the 6th gen 2004 have been assembled in Smyrna, TN (about 20 miles southeast of Nashville on I-24), where the assembly plant replaced the old army airfield where military planes used to take off and land, flying low above my bedroom while I was visiting my grandmother there back in the 1950s and 1960s.

There are sometimes areas which are not shown close up to visitors, such as the paint shop area, or where robots are welding the frame together and all we can see is sparks, because the lights are usually off in the robot area (robots don't have eyes).

To see Nissan engines being manufactured and tested, we would need to go to Decherd, TN, which is about 50 miles further southeast from Smyrna, off I-24. Decherd is actually closer to Chattanooga than to Smyrna, but is on the same rail line that serves the Smyrna plant.

I made it to the Smyrna plant just before the 6th and 7th generation Maximas were shipped to dealers, and to the Atlanta Auto Show each of those years when the new generation Maxima was on display before any had been shipped to dealers. I see Maximas sort of like teen age girls see Justin Beeber.

But I am rambling.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM

I have a 2013 Max, I had a 2013 Altima SL as a loaner for a week

The cars make look similar but that's where it ends
This exactly!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 PM

I am comparing bottom-of-the-line Altima vs bottom-of-the-line Maxima, and top-of-the-line Altima vs top-of-the-line Maxima.

A loaded SV is simply an 'interim' level Maxima. A top-of-the-line Maxima must have either the Sport or Premium package, plus the Tech package. And that puts the MSRP well over $40K, where the loaded Altima is just over $30K.

Of course both can be had at lower prices, but the gap is still nearer $10K than $5K..

Via Cars Direct zip code 55901 which my dealer EASILY Matched

2013 Maxima SV Premium, Tech, SV value, Monitor , Spoiler, MSRP $39,280 Price 33,068

2013 Maxima SV Sport, Tech, SV Value, Monitor, Spoiler included in sport package MSRP $38,450 Price $32,375

2013 Altima SL Tech , Spoiler MSRP $32,855 Price $27,793

Premium is $5275 more, Sport is $4582 more.

I wonder if you think the Altima SV is the top of the line when the SL is. The SV Altima has cloth seats and should be compared the S Max not the SV

Nissan lowered the MSRP on the Maxima in March or April. With every single option you can barely hit $40K now, if you add these small options ( mats, splash guards, etc) on the Max they will also increase the Altima price the same amount

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM

Propa - Things were very different a long time ago. Security was seldom a consideration in the 1950s and 1960s, because cameras were larger and more easily kept away from the assembly line. Also, most of my trips to assembly lines back then were at times there was nothing 'secret' coming down the line. As a further example, in 1965, one could walk into almost any building in a city the size of Atlanta and have no locked doors, no armed guards, and no questions asked. Not that there was much to steal back then except maybe a Remington typewriter or some pencils.

But, more to the current situation, advance reservations are now required to visit virtually any auto assembly line, and it is not always possible to get a reservation on the day desired. At the plants I have visited in recent years, no cameras or cell phones (or any electronic gadgets) are allowed past the visitor's entrance. Visitors are kept together, led by a tourguide, often in small electric carts which then tour the plant. The tourguide can usually answer any questions.

All Maximas beginning with the 6th gen 2004 have been assembled in Smyrna, TN (about 20 miles southeast of Nashville on I-24), where the assembly plant replaced the old army airfield where military planes used to take off and land, flying low above my bedroom while I was visiting my grandmother there back in the 1950s and 1960s.

There are sometimes areas which are not shown close up to visitors, such as the paint shop area, or where robots are welding the frame together and all we can see is sparks, because the lights are usually off in the robot area (robots don't have eyes).

To see Nissan engines being manufactured and tested, we would need to go to Decherd, TN, which is about 50 miles further southeast from Smyrna, off I-24. Decherd is actually closer to Chattanooga than to Smyrna, but is on the same rail line that serves the Smyrna plant.
Interesting post. I didn't know there was so much to auto parts and the auto manufacturing industry. I had to look twice when you said that the lights were off in the room and all you could see were sparks flying. I then remembered that robots DO NOT have eyes. I was thinking how would they see?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Via Cars Direct zip code 55901 which my dealer EASILY Matched

2013 Maxima SV Premium, Tech, SV value, Monitor , Spoiler, MSRP $39,280 Price 33,068

2013 Maxima SV Sport, Tech, SV Value, Monitor, Spoiler included in sport package MSRP $38,450 Price $32,375

2013 Altima SL Tech , Spoiler MSRP $32,855 Price $27,793

Premium is $5275 more, Sport is $4582 more.

I wonder if you think the Altima SV is the top of the line when the SL is. The SV Altima has cloth seats and should be compared the S Max not the SV

Nissan lowered the MSRP on the Maxima in March or April. With every single option you can barely hit $40K now, if you add these small options ( mats, splash guards, etc) on the Max they will also increase the Altima price the same amount

I was not aware Nissan had lowered the price on the Maxima. The Altima is now a little MORE costly than it was when I bought my Maxima five years ago, while the Maxima is actually now a little LESS costly. That is great news for Maxima lovers.

Of course that will probably change when the 8th gen Maxima arrives. But, at this time, the Maxima is an even better buy than the Altima than I expected, because all the extra looks, comfort, handling and panache of the Maxima actually costs only $5K or so more than the loaded Altima.

Thanks for that price info. I will remember to check Cars Direct before buying my 8th gen Maxima.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Food for thought

Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM

I was not aware Nissan had lowered the price on the Maxima. The Altima is now a little MORE costly than it was when I bought my Maxima five years ago, while the Maxima is actually now a little LESS costly. That is great news for Maxima lovers.

Of course that will probably change when the 8th gen Maxima arrives. But, at this time, the Maxima is an even better buy than the Altima than I expected, because all the extra looks, comfort, handling and panache of the Maxima actually costs only $5K or so more than the loaded Altima.

Thanks for that price info. I will remember to check Cars Direct before buying my 8th gen Maxima.
My 2013 MSRP was $38,005 or something close and cars direct had $31,795.

The salesman agreed to the price before I sat down , it was too easy. I would offer $1,000 less than the cars direct price if I had it to do over again.

Of course if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought this POS, at least Nissan gave me a 8 year/100K zero deductible warranty for all my aggravation but if things keep going wrong it's still not worth it.

Since I'm pretty sure your Max has been good to you could you vote in the poll associated with the thread I linked. Almost 50% of the 26 owners who responded so far have or had a bearing issue, no way can it be that large a %, at least I hope not

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...-problems.html

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-24-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What justifies the difference in Maxima over Altima?