7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

What's your average mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie
If you are looking for a very easy to use app, I like "Road Trip LE". It's super easy to use and takes a few quick data entry points to give you your mpg, plus it tracks it and provides a cost per mile (gas only, obviously). I totally agree, btw. Considering the size of the Maxima and the fact that they run 290 hp out of a 3.5L V6, 21-24 mpg isn't bad at all. My brother's VW CC with a 2 liter turbo motor gets about the same MPG but isn't nearly as quick.
I also use the Road Trip app. My overall mpg since jaw bing my car for the last 1 1/2 is 21.22mpg
Old 03-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Just remember, YOU ASKED! :-) I found another thread where I listed the following tips and just cut and pasted (and added a bit here or there), so here are some good tips for you to think about: 1) Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Check them when they are cold and the car is on a level surface. As temps drop, PSI does too. For the best MPG, inflate 3-5 psi above factory recommendations. I usually run my tires around 35 psi, but go a little higher when I take long trips (I drove to Florida pumped up to 37 all around). 2) Make sure your air filter is clean. Dirty air filters can kill mpg. Seems like most people are already on top of it, but it does get ignored. 3) Make sure you keep your car empty. You'd be amazed at how many people keep way too much junk in the trunk. A friend of mine was complaining about mpg on his car. I popped his trunk and he was lugging around weights, an extra tire with rim, and a ton of clothes/shoes/sports equipment. An empty car is a light car. 4) Make sure your brakes aren't dragging. Dragging brakes can be caused by icy conditions or improper maintenance. 5) Stop warming up your car. Even in the coldest conditions, your car does not need to be in a state of static idle for more than 60 seconds. 30 seconds is adequate in most circumstances. Also, while your engine is warming up during this time, the CVT fluid isn't. If you are going for trips of shorter than a few miles, idle for 30 seconds, then drive gently until the temp needle starts to move. When your care is idling, you are getting 0 MPG. 6) Focus on driving gently. A ton of gas is wasted driving too aggressively. Keep the RPM's below 2000/2500 during acceleration. Keep your eyes ahead and, when traffic permits, coast if you see a light changing to red. When you are stopped at a light, you are getting 0 MPG. 7) If you get stuck at long train crossings or traffic lights that last more than 60 seconds or so, turn off the car. I travel on roads where there are metra stops and freight lines. When the gate comes down, I turn off my car. Instead of burning fuel for 3-5 minutes at a time, I burn no fuel. Yesterday, I got stuck on my way home at a train crossing near my office. When I came to a stop at the light before the crossing, I shut off my car and started the timer on my iPhone. No joke, 4 plus minutes. I wasn't burning fuel. Almost everyone around me was for the whole 4 minutes. After the train passed and gates went up, I started up and got moving, only to come across the second train crossing, which I know to be a freight line. I came to a stop and shut down and activated my timer again. It was a long train and I sat there for 8 minutes with my car shut down. Nearly everyone around me kept their car running, wasting gas and watching their money evaporate. 8) When driving on the highway, keep the speed consistent and below 70. I just drove from the Waukegan courthouse to a gas station and reset, then hit the highway and set my cruise control at 63mph. When I pulled into my office 20 something miles later, the computer said I averaged 30.6 mpg. Not bad. Granted, sometimes people are just in a hurry. I get it. This is why I try to build in at least an extra 15 minutes into any commute I may have. 9) Use cruise control. When I drive on a road with a 45 mile per hour speed limit, I accelerate to 52 or so, and set the cruise control. If you see a light change to red ahead, turn it off and coast down (traffic permitting). When I drive on the highway, I tend to set the cruise control at 62-64 mph (speed limit is 55) and pay attention. When a car or truck hops in my lane going slower, I do my best to change lanes and pass while keeping my speed (aka without disabling cruise control or touching my brakes and then accelerating). 10) Braking. People have different ideas on this. Here's my take. Using the brakes is wasteful. You should only brake in an emergency or when you are stopping. Otherwise, if you use predictive driving techniques, you should use your brakes very little. You'd be amazed at how little you touch the brake pedal if you pay attention, try to predict traffic flow, and keep your eyes ahead. Compared to other people, I rarely touch my brakes. Braking wastes energy. 11) Don't use drive through ATM's/tellers, drive through's at fast food restaurants, and if you are picking up a friend of loved one, don't sit there idling. Idling nets you 0 MPG. I always park and walk in for fast food, bank transactions, to use the ATM, etc. When I am waiting to pick someone up or get to court and park early, my car gets shut off. I spoke with a woman via the Accord forums who was complaining about bad MPG's. Every day, she would wait for her kid to come out of school and leave her car running for at least 5 minutes, sometimes more. 12) Use the correct recommended fuel (and oil). Premium is expensive, but using regular usually results in reduced economy. Also, for other cars, using premium when regular is recommended results in lower fuel economy. People think "premium" must mean "better". Octane is a measure of resistance to detonation. So if your car is designed to be most efficient with 87 octane and you use 93, the fuel is more resistant to detonation. Modern cars like ours are pretty good at adjusting, but the Max will get less power and lower economy running 87 (I most definitely do not want to start that argument again, so take this or leave this, but please don't argue about it. It's boring and no one ever wins these debates ). 13) If these don't help you get better MPG, get your car looked at. A good mechanic can be the best help you'll get here. Whenever I wrote "traffic permitting", here's what I mean. Don't be the jerk who gets to 35 in a 45 and then stays there because you think you understand traffic flow (you don't). Don't be the guy who coasts down to a stop for over a mile when people are trying to get home. Don't be the guy who screws up everyone else's day because you want to save one or two mpg. Don't be the guy going the speed limit in the left lane for the sake of MPG. Don't be the guy who's actions have a negative effect on other drivers. When roads are empty or there is very little traffic and no one behind you, sure, start to coast down. Otherwise, be aware that the stuff you do in your car can really tick off other drivers. Don't inject yourself into other people's lives to save a few pennies. Perhaps there is something included above you haven't thought about. Hope it helps. Most of these tips were the result of some experimenting with my old car, an 05 Accord. When I started, I was getting 22 mpg average. After using these tips, my average went up to 27.1 mpg (with some tanks working out to 30 mpg). Bear in mind, you don't have to use all of these tips, but these are some easy ones to follow. Make it a game and try to have fun smashing old records (seemed to help me stay on track). Good luck!
very informative. I will practice these steps from here on out
Old 03-29-2014, 01:35 PM

I will say my 2010 gets worse MPG than my 2006 did,,,,,I didn't expect that
Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by My2010FoUrDsC
very informative. I will practice these steps from here on out
Just a general forum posting tip, you don't have to quote a ridic long post and then respond with one sentence lol.

Awesome thread, love seeing the tips and tricks people use here.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:26 PM

- you have to get used to the car and as you do, your MPG's will improve. The CVT is pretty efficient and if you drive it smoothly and don't take advantage of all that potential speed and acceleration, the car can be pretty efficient
Im finding this to be the truest statement for me. I've gotten more use to the engine now, and seeing a bit of improvement on the mpg.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

25.1 mpg
mixed driving with an average of 40mph
Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM

Computer says 17.4 how often does it update because sometimes I don't drive as aggressive yet it still stays the same.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrWilson44
Computer says 17.4 how often does it update because sometimes I don't drive as aggressive yet it still stays the same.

Hold down the bottom button when on the MPG screen and it will reset
Old 04-08-2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MrWilson44
First of all, you have to reset it, so to answer your question: never.

Honestly, the computer isn't accurate anyway. If you haven't reset your MPG, it's using old data and factoring that in with how you drive now and tries to predict an MPG. It's totally goofy. My computer said I got 23.1 on the last fill up. RoadTrip LE showed 21.19.

If you don't have an app for it, here's how to do the math:
1) At your next fill up, zero out your trip odometer and fill your car completely
2) At the subsequent fill up, divide the miles on your trip odometer by the number of gallons it takes to fill up completely
by way of example, let's say your drove 365 miles and put 17.23 gallons in the tank, then reset your trip odometer, you'd have achieved 21.19 mpg.

Rinse and repeat for at least 4-8 tanks, then add up those numbers and divide by the number of data samples you have.

To illustrate: let's say you got 21.19, 22.20, 19.88, and 20.55. Add those up, and you get 83.82. Divide that by 4 (the number of data samples) and you get 20.955. That's your average fuel economy for those four fill ups.

It will change based on weather, driving style, and type of driving. If you don't have an app, buy one of those small notebooks for less than a buck and keep a mechanical pencil with it in your glove box.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 AM

My Overall MPG went from 25.8 to 23.1 in a matter of weeks. I'm not an aggressive driver and my job is 2 miles from my house. On weekends I do venture out onto the freeway but that is a big jump. What else can contribute to that? My oil is changed regularly, I use premium fuel, the air filter is clean.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
My Overall MPG went from 25.8 to 23.1 in a matter of weeks. I'm not an aggressive driver and my job is 2 miles from my house. On weekends I do venture out onto the freeway but that is a big jump. What else can contribute to that? My oil is changed regularly, I use premium fuel, the air filter is clean.
Extra idling, running the AC more frequently, bad traffic, less highway miles more city miles, tire pressure a bit low, air filter clogged, e-brake dragging, junk in the trunk, windows down on at highway speeds, etc.

It's likely a combination of a few of the above, maybe some other stuff.

Up here in Chi-town, we get different formulations of gas in the summer and winter, which affects economy. Not sure if that's the same by you.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 PM

Extra idling, running the AC more frequently, bad traffic, less highway miles more city miles, tire pressure a bit low, air filter clogged, e-brake dragging, junk in the trunk, windows down on at highway speeds, etc.

It's likely a combination of a few of the above, maybe some other stuff.

Up here in Chi-town, we get different formulations of gas in the summer and winter, which affects economy. Not sure if that's the same by you.
Great information but one question. . . How do you know if your e-brake is dragging? Other than seeing the light come on Of course
Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 AM

Old 02-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Banned

I don't know if you remember this, but you are driving a 4-door sports car! Who cares about MPG's. The only thing you should be worried about is; are you having fun driving your Maxima? I am! I take corners at 60 mph, I go from 0-to-60 as fast as I can and I don't care about how much gas I'm using. When I need gas, I get it. But the gas I use is 92 octane ethanol-free gas. I usually get over 400 miles on a tank of gas! After I do a fill-up, by miles-to-empty reading is about 438, but then I leave the gas station with my tires on fire and it drops to 425.

Scott
Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Thats the point of the cvt its suppose to improve the mpgs....... Efficiency is important its not like there is an infinite supply of oil... Also oil drives the price of everything up
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 PM

21.5 combined with 56k on the car, gas is so cheap now I might just leave it running during the day so that will bring it down some
Old 02-18-2015, 02:11 PM

A mix of hwy and city with an occasional lead foot i have been getting about 24mpg. Its been cold here so i tend to get less mpg. I have also noticed if i drive over 65 the gas mileage drops faster.. so if you the best gas mileage drive on a mild day with speed about 55/60.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by partsace
I don't know if you remember this, but you are driving a 4-door sports car! Who cares about MPG's. The only thing you should be worried about is; are you having fun driving your Maxima? I am! I take corners at 60 mph, I go from 0-to-60 as fast as I can and I don't care about how much gas I'm using. When I need gas, I get it. But the gas I use is 92 octane ethanol-free gas. I usually get over 400 miles on a tank of gas! After I do a fill-up, by miles-to-empty reading is about 438, but then I leave the gas station with my tires on fire and it drops to 425.

Scott
This post is satire, right?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:23 PM
I love lamp.

I use Fuelly to rack my mileage. My typical drive sucks because it's all city driving, traffic just plain sucks here, and it's a really hilly terrain. Typically see between 18-20mpg. However I drive from Seattle to Minnesota back in Aug. With the car loaded with 5 people, all our baggage for a week, averaging 80mph with the A/C blasting, the car was doing between 23-25mpg. Conditions of the drive really can make a big impact on mileage.

S
Old 02-19-2015, 04:29 AM

My car states 25.6 on the mpg screen but my math says +/-24 mpg. I drive mainly highway.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM

According to my car, it says I get 24.9 average mpg.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:05 PM

19-21. Mostly city and stop and go. On highway high 20's.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:39 PM

Have made the 1900 mile trip from southwest VA to northwest NM and back twice. Both times, following a Tundra with an 8000lb camper attached. Gained speed going downhill and slowed WAY down going uphill. I consistently saw an average of 30-32mpg. That was verified by the actual math. I actually have a photo of it - I went 498 miles on one tank of gas and could have gone another 20-30 miles.

Typically, with rather aggressive driving and some hilly terrain (here in the Appalachians, it's ALL up or downhill and curves...no such thing as straight or flat) - I see 24-25mpg. I'm more than happy to floor it to pass the jerk holding me up, too - happens multiple times daily.

For the power the car has and how I drive it, couldn't be more happy with the economy.

If you deliberately drive with the intention of saving gas, this car can be extremely frugal. I just don't have the patience. As a field worker, I drive 2500-3500 miles/month, so my car is my livelihood. It does quite well, IMO.

Late,
Trav
Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM

20.9, majority of driving is city.
My daughters play AAU basketball during the summer, we travel all over the place, I'll get around 25 on those trips.
Attached Thumbnails What's your average mpg?-flashannotate.jpg  

Last edited by saltohio; 02-23-2015 at 08:02 AM.